Houston and Miami could have Deshaun Watson deal (update - no deal prior to trade deadline)

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Texans play the Phins on Nov 7.  No way the Texans trade him to Miami before that.  

trade deadline is before then, plus why would Houston care if they face Deshaun, they're tanking the season anyway and they need a qb.  Fins dont have a 1st round pick next year to deal.

5 hours ago, eball said:

Still don't think Watson plays this year.  If Fish do this I think it's because they believe things will get resolved by the offseason and they'll have him to begin 2022.

Why pull the trigger right now?

I will say in case anyone else was interested, the recent moves to cut Andre Roberts (now a Charger) and Whitney Mercilus (now a Packer) were NOT cap saving moves for the Texans to "make room" for an estimated $16.2M cap hit from Watson's roster bonus (though maybe they can put some of that off until next year now).

As far as I can tell, both moves are at best about cap-neutral - both players had "voidable years" amortizing their signing bonus into 2022, but (assuming they have offset language which prevents them from double dipping) the savings from their remaining salaries roughly equals next year's signing bonus at this point.  If they don't have offset language, then the Texans lost a couple million of cap space.

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I see these things are already being debunked…  No one is touching Watson till his legal stuff Is behind him womens rights groups in any town he’s traded to would go crazy no team wants that kinda publicity 

There have been some denials.  The thing is, there has to be some truth to the rumors.  You just don’t create a fake rumor about teams trading players without there being some element of truth to it.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

There have been some denials.  The thing is, there has to be some truth to the rumors.  You just don’t create a fake rumor about teams trading players without there being some element of truth to it.

They are doing this in Houston prior to the trade deadline to try to get someone to bite on what they want it’s clearly made up by the Texans “sources” to generate buzz 

6 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Very possible… but if you are Miami and these reports surfaced about your “franchise QB” wouldn’t you want to get ahead of this and shoot everything down?  I get the feeling they are discussing things

I mean hasn't Flores already done this a few times?

The Athletic which does not just throw mud says the conversations have intensified with Miami, there have been casual conversations with Carolina and Philadelphia too, but nothing is imminent. The trade deadline is still a couple of weeks away. There is no time pressure yet on a deal. 

49 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I have no clue how someone who is being accused of over 20 sexual assaults is not on the exempt list.   

Right, in the middle of the Gruden controversy as well. It’s a shame there aren’t any reporters who have courage to challenge the league, and ask difficult questions. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Right, in the middle of the Gruden controversy as well. It’s a shame there aren’t any reporters who have courage to challenge the league, and ask difficult questions. 

Gruden doesn’t play the game. If he did, he would have got away with what he did with a 4 game suspension. The double standard that the league has set for employees and players is blatant. I agree with Gruden’s removal, but I also know that players are being dealt with by a far lighter hand.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 2

Good Article by Uncle Mike Florio.  He is speculating that Houston is likely trading 

Watson before the deadline to Miami.

Houston put this info out there as a way to either get Miami to give more or to get a team like PHIL or CAR to jump in an up the ante.  Either way, it sounds like Watson will be traded

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/21/texans-apparently-are-trying-to-get-more-teams-to-the-table-for-deshaun-watson/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Looks like the Fins "Tank for Tua" strategy didn't go as planned and now they want to trade for a guy (giving up multiple high picks) that will not onlu eat up their salary cap space but could very well be looking at not only a suspension but potentially jail time.

Brilliant move!!  Pull the trigger already Chris Grier!!!

13 hours ago, Doc said:

Even if Watson were traded right now, there's no way he'd be on the field in 10 days. 

Even if he was, there's next to zero chance of him being effective and having the Miami offense producing anymore than they are now.

Heaven forbid he did start and the Bills lose coming out of the bye week or talk about a full blown meltdown by the fanbase in terms of expectations of this team going forward.

• Agree 1

I'd rather the Dolphins not get Deshaun Watson, but I would be interested to see what their team building plan around him is..

According to Spotrac, his base salary for the next 4 years is as follows:

2022 - $35,000,000

2023 - $20,000,000

2024 - $32,000,000

2025 - $32,000,000

Combined with the picks they will have to give up to get him, how are they fixing either of their lines?  They have one of the worst DL's and OL's in the NFL.  Playmakers are solid on Offense, but they may or may not be able to afford re-signing Gesicki.

Nice secondary, but it gets tricky paying two stud corners when you're also paying a Franchise QB.