Matt Milano #hammywatch - update - officially off the injury report

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, Rubes said:

Kinda weird, last season I thought we should sit Milano for the Rams game since it wasn't as critical a game and it would give him time to heal—the overwhelming response here was that every game is important and he should play if there was any chance he could go. No sitting and resting.

Seems the opposite this year. Huge game with playoff seeding implications, but now people think he should rest?

Why were people less concerned last year about keeping Milano healthy for the long term?

Bit different situation.  Last season Milano had already been out a game for Miami and if I recall, was practicing the week before the Rams game.  So it looked as though he could go, and people were saying "even if he's practicing and can go, Sit him to give him more time."

This year he just had the injury, he's been DNP, and some people are saying "play him, who cares if he injures himself worse".  That's a bad take IMO

But for the difference in fan attitudes, I think it's that fans feel like KC's been the Bisons "daddy" the last couple years and really really really wanna beat KC, where we had no such personal animosity about the Rams.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bit different situation.  Last season Milano had already been out a game for Miami and if I recall, was practicing the week before the Rams game.  So it looked as though he could go, and people were saying "even if he's practicing and can go, Sit him to give him more time."

This year he just had the injury, he's been DNP, and some people are saying "play him, who cares if he injures himself worse".  That's a bad take IMO

But for the difference in fan attitudes, I think it's that fans feel like KC's been the Bisons "daddy" the last couple years and really really really wanna beat KC, where we had no such personal animosity about the Rams.

That’s correct. He was out for the Miami game with the hamstring and then returned the following week vs Rams. He tore his pec the week after in Vegas.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This x 1000.

I get it though. KC has been a thorn. We'd rather not be the Marino to their Kelly. But I'd rather have a healthier team at playoff time than bragging rights Week 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just sit Milano until the playoffs when the games really matter…. Dude can’t stay health. 

Posters will call you out and point to how Milano actually isn't injured too much... but I will admit, I chuckled when Sal had the KC reporter on and when talking about defending Kelce, he exclaimed "your guy Milano is injured again!?.. I feel like every time we play you he's hurt".  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea…. Fans have a hard time calling a spade a spade on this board…. Milano is injury prone. Too bad because he’s great when healthy. 

What was Sals response to that? I’m guessing he shut the guy down.😅

I think he just went along with it.  Not much of a reaction.  This was earlier this week... Wednesday maybe.  

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I suspect it’s largely a result of KC being in contention with the Bills for home field advantage. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea…. Fans have a hard time calling a spade a spade on this board…. Milano is injury prone. Too bad because he’s great when healthy. 

I'd have to dig up the source, but LBs are by far the most injured position in the NFL. It's the nature of the beast when you are 230lbs and flying around, and most likely being engaged by 300lb Guards who have a 3-5 yards running start. In McD's defense, Milano plays more of the run-stuffing thumper role than our MLB. Injuries are bound to happen, and pretty consistently. I think it was Zach Thomas that used to talk about playing LB, and comparing it to being put inside a washing machine with a few 300+ pound boulders...

My point is, I dont know how much being "injury prone" is specific to Milano, versus it just being part of the job. Not sure calling a spade a spade really gets us anywhere either way.

• Like (+1) 1

I hate that we cant be at full strength playing KC, but at the end of the day, preserving health for the rest of the season trumps this game.

If this was the playoffs put matt out there and let him blow his hammy out for the team. Not week 5 of regular season.

If he says he's good and this is minor, he plays.  

But if he logs a DNP today which I expect, you combine that with the weather, just keep him out till Derek Henry which is a Monday night then the bye.  

We need to score to win this week regardless.

And if we do win, I'd consider sitting him till after the bye - which is Miami at home.  Who could be in free fall by then.

That being said maybe it's possible the Bills are thinking we go all out to win this week so long he's at least 80% and because the schedule is soft plus a bye, we will have time to rest him in a worst case scenario where he comes out with it still injured - I don't know.  

Tenn

Bye

Miami 

Jax

Jets 

Indy

New Orleans Thanksgiving 

Edited by Big Blitz

This is an important game, but make no mistake about it, win or lose, beating them in the Playoffs if we match up with them there is way more important.  If he can't be out there in a regular role because he's hurt, it just isn't worth it.  Get him back to 100% and worry about the long term.  It  will definitely hurt if we lose this game, as it does with every loss, but this entire season is about 1 thing......winning the Super Bowl.  There is no need to risk a long term injury to one of our best players this early in the season no matter how much you want to win this game.  Heck, with our Bye coming up, I wouldn't rush him back in there next week either.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I bet you whined about trading Watkins who is injured far more often.

I soooo would like to see Milano play, but if there's even a small chance that injury could turn bad, rest him for 3 weeks, coming back after the Bye. Limited role sounds better than no play... except for this type of injury.

And yes, some posters will RIGHTFULLY say he is not injury prone as before last year, he wasn't. Maybe he is now, but it's again a take some fans are repeating as gospel. If you take last year and now this, it does look like they're right but that's not saying much ha ha. 

If Milano doesn't play against KC, that means the hamstring is enough of an issue to warrant concern and I wouldn't play him against Tennessee either. 

If it's me, he either plays against KC and it has just been more a precautionary reaction OR he doesn't come back until after the bye.  That gives him 3 weeks to fully recover.  

It would hurt to not have him against KC, but I don't necessarily think playing Klein against Tennessee is much of an issue. 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Milano doesn't play against KC, that means the hamstring is enough of an issue to warrant concern and I wouldn't play him against Tennessee either. 

If it's me, he either plays against KC and it has just been more a precautionary reaction OR he doesn't come back until after the bye.  That gives him 3 weeks to fully recover.  

It would hurt to not have him against KC, but I don't necessarily think playing Klein against Tennessee is much of an issue. 

Really depends how bad it was. A grade one hammy, could be pretty close to full go in a fortnight. I'd be surprised for Sunday I really would. I worry that when he needs to make those explosive movements it will affect him. But I'd consider him a possibility for Tennessee. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Really depends how bad it was. A grade one hammy, could be pretty close to full go in a fortnight. I'd be surprised for Sunday I really would. I worry that when he needs to make those explosive movements it will affect him. But I'd consider him a possibility for Tennessee. 

I hear ya.. My view is just that I don't think we really need him against Tennessee, and Klein could be utilized pretty well in run fits for Henry and pressure packages on Tannehill.  

Of course, if Milano is 100% next Monday, you don't rest one of the best linebackers in football for no reason. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/7/2021 at 7:14 AM, NI Bills Fan said:

Whilst there is always room for a JCVD gif in any post 😀 the movements that Milano is making in that vid are very possible to carry out with a hamstring strain, without experiencing much pain at all.

I'm not saying the video confirms he is really struggling with the hamstring, but I would like to see movements where the leg is extended straight out more before being confident he will be able to play on Sunday.

I think as long as these limited today and not just working out on the sidelines he will be good to go

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

An amazing thing, but the guy who wrote the caption is a fricking idiot.

That heart attack ended his career right then, and he died of heart problems at age 44.

"Maybe play through your next injury, buttercup," is about as buttheaded a take as imaginable on an injury that when played through ended both his career and eventually his life. Not the lesson to be learned from this incident.

Not talking about you here, Chandler, but about Super70sSports.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

This is exactly why someone should have been drafted to replace Milano, something a lot of people said before he re-signed in Buffalo.

The guy continues to constantly get hurt.  Now we can go all year with an excuse for him, even when he comes back in 2 or so weeks.  Another terrible contract, they starting to add up.

Rinse and repeat every year with Milano.  It's comical at this point, like Will Fuller being out again.

What's comical is what a terrible take this is.

Zero games missed due to injury as a rookie. Three in his second year, from a broken fibula. One in his third year. Five last year. And if he misses the Chiefs he'll have played 80% of the games so far at an extremely high level. With a contract that clearly includes a serious home team discount.

There certainly is a chance he might eventually start missing huge chunks of seasons, but even if he does his contract isn't punitive for the Bills. If he gets cut after the 2022 season, his dead cap will be $3.5M. The guy is the 28th highest paid LB in the league by average salary. If he misses two or three games a year he's still a bargain.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I've said it before and I'll write it again...worst lie in all of sports, "day to day with a hamstring injury."

Day to day hammy's can go on for weeks.  

They should just come right out and say, "look it isn't that severe, but is the hamstring.  It could be tomorrow or it could be November.  Hey, who wants pizza?" 

...I actually want to hear both those parts, just once. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Matt Milano #hammywatch - officially “questionable”
6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

What's comical is what a terrible take this is.

Zero games missed due to injury as a rookie. Three in his second year, from a broken fibula. One in his third year. Five last year. And if he misses the Chiefs he'll have played 80% of the games so far at an extremely high level. With a contract that clearly includes a serious home team discount.

There certainly is a chance he might eventually start missing huge chunks of seasons, but even if he does his contract isn't punitive for the Bills. If he gets cut after the 2022 season, his dead cap will be $3.5M. The guy is the 28th highest paid LB in the league by average salary. If he misses two or three games a year he's still a bargain.

I know it's been said by some but the position he plays and the intensity he plays with is going to cause injury. He is definitely a bargain for the player we have at that position. We all know he's very much needed for this game but I'd rather have him healthy come playoff time.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope that's sarcasm

Why would you expect that, Johnson is the nickel corner and almost always on the field as the nickel corner.

If Milano can't go say hello to Klein

It depends on coverages, if we get a lead, and how well our DL holds up against the run. Klein can be changed out for a safety to provide better coverage. 

23 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

An amazing thing, but the guy who wrote the caption is a fricking idiot.

That heart attack ended his career right then, and he died of heart problems at age 44.

"Maybe play through your next injury, buttercup," is about as buttheaded a take as imaginable on an injury that when played through ended both his career and eventually his life. Not the lesson to be learned from this incident.

Not talking about you here, Chandler, but about Super70sSports.

Agree, epic Terrible Take.

Course in 1972, treatment of heart attacks was very different, but some injuries will cause lasting damage to play through, and these days certainly a heart attack is one of them.  Seconds and minutes count.  Get yer ass to the best cardiac hospital in a reasonable radius.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Listening to Sal C. on the radio yesterday, who is over there and nosing around at the facility, my guess is that Milano will be a scratch for the game, and that's gonna hurt.

I think it's likely, just given what BangedupBills pointed out, that every hammy he's had after the first one, he's missed one game.

He'd likely go if if was the playoffs and "Win or Go Home" but the Bills have 12 more regular season games ahead of them.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Listening to Sal C. on the radio yesterday, who is over there and nosing around at the facility, my guess is that Milano will be a scratch for the game, and that's gonna hurt.

Obviously rather have him playing, but with how well Klein has been playing it hopefully wouldn't be too bad of a drop off

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Obviously rather have him playing, but with how well Klein has been playing it hopefully wouldn't be too bad of a drop off

Especially if they game-planned for Klein.  As we saw when Milano went on IR, Klein playing works best if they customize the defense around what Klein can and can't do, instead of trying to plug him in as "next man up" for Milano

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.