Darryl Johnson Inactive

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Jets never had CMC and Moore and Anderson paired together either though. Add in their OC is quite good as well. It was definitely the best possible landing spot for him. If they develop the O line better they have a playoff shot. Their defense is playing lights out so it’s not surprising Johnson isn’t quite up to speed yet. Looking forward to what they can do against some better competition. 

• Agree 1

Carolina was a LOT of people's sleeper this year. Bam is trying to crack a pretty good DE room.

They got a decent offensive line, good receivers and STUDS with CMC & Burns. That's gonna be a great game to watch soon. Sam now has a puncher's chance against Josh in this year's rematch.🤜

What the hell did Darryl Johnson ever do as a Buffalo Bill that he had a nickname?

The guy was a 7th round draft pick who barely ever played defense for us in his 2 years w the team. 

What about Jamie Mueller or John Dorenbos?  I would argue they contributed more to the well being of the franchise. 

• Eyeroll 1

Somewhat surprising he's been inactive since the Panthers traded for him but they have a top 5 defense right now and have the look of one of those teams that will be in the playoff mix this year if they can sustain their success going forward.

Also one of those games on the schedule that will be much more difficult for the Bills than initially expected.

32 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I thought he would at least contribute on special teams. I think teams are trying to stash away players considering it's a 17 game season. I think we're just keeping Boogie inactive so we can rotate him in in a few weeks and give someone else a rest.

I think we're keeping Boogie inactive because he's still learning his expected role and he needs more time.

That's not a knock on him, I think the Bills are asking him to master the "inside/outside" switch role they intended Q Jefferson to fill, so more different roles/needs more time to master.

17 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

What the hell did Darryl Johnson ever do as a Buffalo Bill that he had a nickname?

The guy was a 7th round draft pick who barely ever played defense for us in his 2 years w the team. 

Special Teams.  63% of the snaps last two season, and he was a hard-hitting flyer:  "BAM!" 

A lot of these successful STers seem to pick up that theme as a nickname.  Siran Neal is apparently "Bambam" for the same reason.

What about Jamie Mueller or John Dorenbos?  I would argue they contributed more to the well being of the franchise. 

I am unfamiliar with the scope and quality of their ST contributions.

he has had that nickname since he was a kid due to always being high energy. So to answer your question, he didn't do anything as a Bill that earned him that nickname, just always been his name. It is also what he requested to be referred to as in interviews with the media. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think his ceiling is marginal NFL starter. The Jets made him look worse than that.

I know it's only two games, but he's averaging 8.0 ypa, has a completion rate of 68.5 percent, and has a rating of 100.5. I always liked him coming out of college, and I think that the Jets situation totally warped people's view of his talent/potential. He is now with a functioning organization, and this is when the judgments of him based on his play will be more or less accurate. What the Jets dumped on him was just ridiculous, both in terms of personnel and Gase's horizontal passing game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Gee I dunno...maybe were are concentrating on more current teams and not going back a generation.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I know it's only two games, but he's averaging 8.0 ypa, has a completion rate of 68.5 percent, and has a rating of 100.5. I always liked him coming out of college, and I think that the Jets situation totally warped people's view of his talent/potential. He is now with a functioning organization, and this is when the judgments of him based on his play will be more or less accurate. What the Jets dumped on him was just ridiculous, both in terms of personnel and Gase's horizontal passing game.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think his ceiling coming out was higher than that. Whether the same ceiling is there after the battering he took physically and mentally in New York I am not sure.

I always thought he was a turnover machine. It will be interesting to see how he does going forward with the Panthers.

Just now, Doc said:

I always thought he was a turnover machine. It will be interesting to see how he does going forward with the Panthers.

I think the Panthers are gonna be good, make the playoffs, and will extend Darnold after the season. I have had them as a playoff team the whole way. Very good young roster - oline is the only obvious weakness on paper and they have played better than expected up front through two weeks. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I see through first two weeks of season Johnson has been inactive.

In other Panther news Sam Darnold is making the Jets front office look even dumber for trading him, which is pretty hard to do

It seemed like there were 2 main reasons why the Jets dumped Darnold for Wilson

1) Joe Douglas wanted his own draft choice at QB

2) The Jets wanted a QB on his rookie contract & Darnold was approaching a big pay day, or at least a big 2022 5th year option contract pickup.  

If you drop your QB to draft a replacement because you want more salary cap relief with a QB on his rookie contract without finding out if your current QB is good enough (because you gave him nobody to run the offense with) you deserve to continue to lose.

That #2 pick was extremely valuable either to get an impact player or to trade for mutiple picks.  Instead Douglas Jet-tisoned his QB for some pretty lame reasons & got a QB who he'll be lucky if the guy can become Darnold's equal.  

What the Jets did was very similar to the whack-a-mole approach the Bills used to take, losing or trading RBs & CBs & replacing them with 1st round picks they could have used to fill other spots instead of just drafting 1st rounders & replacing them with the same position every few years with a cheaper #1 pick. 

I had 2 broadcasts on last Sunday at 1:00 and even though I paid a lot more attention to the Bills game, I saw a dumpster fire watching Gang Green.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Panthers are gonna be good, make the playoffs, and will extend Darnold after the season. I have had them as a playoff team the whole way. Very good young roster - oline is the only obvious weakness on paper and they have played better than expected up front through two weeks. 

They could very well make the playoffs, but they’ve beaten 2 bad teams (despite the shocking win by the Saints in the first week) and will play another this Thursday.  I’ll need to see them against better teams.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They could very well make the playoffs, but they’ve beaten 2 bad teams (despite the shocking win by the Saints in the first week) and will play another this Thursday.  I’ll need to see them against better teams.

That is fair. I do think they are decent though. One of the best collections of offensive weapons and some real top end young defensive studs in Brown, Burns, Thompson and Chinn.

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/bam-darryl-johnson-and-the-buffalo-youth-movement/

You may have never heard of the name Darryl Johnson, but there is a good chance you’ve heard him hit somebody on the football field. Nicknamed, “Bam” at a young age due to his high energy, Johnson has made his childhood nickname one that translates onto the football field. He may be a relatively unknown player in the National Football League, but for Johnson, that’s exactly how he likes it.

4 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

he has had that nickname since he was a kid due to always being high energy. So to answer your question, he didn't do anything as a Bill that earned him that nickname, just always been his name. It is also what he requested to be referred to as in interviews with the media. 

Thanks for the explanation.  Now I understand what all the chatter was about Darryl Johnson.  I hope the kid gets a chance to show what he's got in the NFL.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Gee I dunno...maybe were are concentrating on more current teams and not going back a generation.

It was sarcasm bro.  Put Carwell Gardner in your pipe as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Was Darnold not expected to look really good? I always thought is failures were 100% the Jets

i feel much of the issues were on the jets.instabilityin coaching and unfair blame on him.

howgood will Carolina be with nom..I don’t know.  These were two hone games.  

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Rhule is the man. I don't think he has the same ceiling as McD has, but he's following a similar trajectory and coaching style.

12 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Special teams is 1/ third of the team

I've always like Darnold and thought he'd be a solid NFL starter. Being drafted by an inept franchise with no help didn't help his development. I don't think he'll ever be elite but with talent around him I  feel he's every bit as good as guys like Tannehill, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz and Cousins.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I see through first two weeks of season Johnson has been inactive.

In other Panther news Sam Darnold is making the Jets front office look even dumber for trading him, which is pretty hard to do

I've always thought Darnold would be the new Andy Dalton. Kind of the guy who is smack in the middle of the starting QB pack. 

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So has "Reverend Rhule" and his faith based brigade changed your opinion about christian leadership in football? :lol:

Rhule really wanted Jack Easterby...........if he had a QB like DeShaun Watson at the time then maybe Easterby goes there instead of Houston. 😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.