Bills and Steelers to get #2 CBS announcing team

Greg S

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The AFC runner-up Buffalo Bills and the AFC North Champion Pittsburgh Steelers have drawn the number 2 announcing crew from CBS on opening weekend. Ian Eagle, Charles Davis, and Evan Washburn will be on the call from Orchard Park as a raucous crowd returns to Highmark Stadium in full voice for the first time in almost two years.

The AFC Champion Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Wild Card Cleveland Browns have drawn the top commentating trio of Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, and Tracy Wolfson.

The Bills vs Dolphins tilt in Week 2 is on FOX, so the announcing pairings have yet to be released.

Here are the CBS announcer pairings for the year:

Jim Nantz, Tony Romo, Tracy Wolfson

Ian Eagle, Charles Davis, Evan Washburn

Kevin Harlan, Trent Green, and Melanie Collins

Greg Gumbel, Adam Archuleta, AJ Ross

Andrew Catalon, James Lofton

Spero Dedes, Jay Feely

Tom McCarthy, Tiki Barber

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Feels about right to me. KC v Cleveland is the clear marquee game but I think Bills v Steelers is a legit #2. 

Anyone miss the days of Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots every single week? At one point I thought they were the official Bills announcers they did us so much... thinking late Gailey / Marrone era. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 9

7 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Kevin Harlan is the GOAT

Love Kevin Harlan especially on Westwood One radio when you are listening...his detailed descriptions and intonations paint vivid pictures in your mind to the point you can almost see what's happening

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Love Kevin Harlan especially on Westwood One radio when you are listening...his detailed descriptions and intonations paint vivid pictures in your mind to the point you can almost see what's happening

yes, agreed - and his timing/inflection/tempo is fantastic.....when you watch a punt return TD, for example, it's like he's telling a story with rich imagery

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Seriously, why is that guy not ranked higher?  

His little tick of saying who is at left tackle every play grates on me. "Dawkins is at the left tackle". I know a lot of other announcers tell you who is in the backfield and I am not sure why it should be different but it just is :D

Greg Gumble has fallen off. Used to be with the #1 team once upon a time.

59 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Kevin Harlan is the GOAT

Gus Johnson might have something to say about that. Always enjoyed his enthusiasm.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Feels about right to me. KC v Cleveland is the clear marquee game but I think Bills v Steelers is a legit #2. 

Anyone miss the days of Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots every single week? At one point I thought they were the official Bills announcers they did us so much... thinking late Gailey / Marrone era. 

I can't say I miss Wilcots calling the BEEOWWS games...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I gotta stick by Spero Dedes, my fellow Greek.  Also, as pointed out above, how can you not love The Wisdom of Solomon and the Beews!

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

The AFC runner-up Buffalo Bills and the AFC North Champion Pittsburgh Steelers have drawn the number 2 announcing crew from CBS on opening weekend. Ian Eagle, Charles Davis, and Evan Washburn will be on the call from Orchard Park as a raucous crowd returns to Highmark Stadium in full voice for the first time in almost two years.

Also, the bolded is absolutely beautiful.   18 days!!!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Spero is pretty good. Wilcots not so much.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

As long as Greg Gumble stays away from Bills games I’m happy.  I cant stand his voice.  

I've always enjoyed Greg Gumbel's announcing, though he is past his prime. His call on Mario Elie's kiss of death against Phoenix in the 90s was legendary

If Gumbel's voice grates on you, how do you feel about Mike Tirico's voice?

Elie Kiss of Death

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Greg Gumble has fallen off. Used to be with the #1 team once upon a time.

Gus Johnson might have something to say about that. Always enjoyed his enthusiasm.

Once upon a time maybe regarding Gus.  He tries way to hard.  He played himself out imo.  I can’t stand listening to him anymore. Met him a couple times, nice guy, but a chain smoker.  Strange for someone that relies on their voice for income.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

How f'd up is CBS if Kevin Harlan is 3rd on the depth chart behind Ian Eagle?  Eagle must have pictures.  Kevin Harlan is the best play-by-play caller on TV today.  Nance is only #1 because he's a corporate pretty boy.  I hope Harlan gets a lot of Bills games this year.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like Jim Nantz as a football announcer. Even going back to when he was on Saturdays calling College Football games.

I do agree that Kevin Harlan should be number 2 on the depth chart. How is Ian Eagle ahead of him? Harlan's voice is perfect for the game and he brings excitement to the game, especially on the radio.

His play-by-play calls of fans running onto the field are epic.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

I am surprised CBS would give up the Bills-Dolphins game to FOX. That is a pretty good AFC matchup.

CBS didn't want the game because of a perceived conflict of interest.  They heard Josh Allen owns the Dolphins. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

I've always enjoyed Greg Gumbel's announcing, though he is past his prime. His call on Mario Elie's kiss of death against Phoenix in the 90s was legendary

If Gumbel's voice grates on you, how do you feel about Mike Tirico's voice?

Elie Kiss of Death

I honestly don’t mind Turicos announcing, although he can be over the top sometimes.   I feel like every time Gumble announces a bills game, they lose.  😂

4 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Kevin Harlan is the GOAT

Kevin Harlan is excellent.  But for excitement and energy, it is hard to beat Gus Johnson... He could make a game between the Jets and Jags feel like its the Super Bowl.  

Getting Charles Davis as analyst for the opener is good.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, there was something depressing about hearing them, especially late in the season when we knew the playoffs were once again out of reach.

I know I sound like a grouchy old guy but I do miss so many of the old announcers who are no longer with us. Dick Enberg is an obvious one (loved him, to me he is the voice of the NFL, not Pat Summerall) but also Charlie Jones, who will live forever as the guy who called the Bills Oilers game ("you gotta love it! Unless you're in Houston!")

Edited by RobbRiddick
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Once upon a time maybe regarding Gus.  He tries way to hard.  He played himself out imo.  I can’t stand listening to him anymore. Met him a couple times, nice guy, but a chain smoker.  Strange for someone that relies on their voice for income.

A lot of singers are smokers.

Some announcers rely on too much shtick. Johnson is definitely over the top on sayings. Cool at first, then the guy just wears you out.

From the past, it's tough to match Summerall and Madden. Enberg was good, but too many "oh my"s. Currently, I'd take Nantz over Buck any day. Al Michaels is slipping, but used to be tops, again with Madden. Having to listen to Collinsworth hurts him. Nantz having Romo makes the best pair by far. Aikman is boring. Strictly considering the voice, no one can touch Harlan.  

53 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah, there was something depressing about hearing them, especially late in the season when we knew the playoffs were once again out of reach.

I know I sound like a grouchy old guy but I do miss so many of the old announcers who are no longer with us. Dick Enberg is an obvious one (loved him, to me he is the voice of the NFL, not Pat Summerall) but also Charlie Jones, who will live forever as the guy who called the Bills Oilers game ("you gotta love it! Unless you're in Houston!")

Yup, Jones was another classic. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually liked Spero Dedes a lot, although Wilcots was not my favorite. But they knew a lot about the Bills and could speak intelligently about the team because they called so many Bills games. So that was nice.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ahhh .. Wilcots.

Because of him, every game day just before kickoff, I always post "LET'S GO BEELS!" on Facebook.

• Like (+1) 1

Seattle at Indy is another great matchup on CBS so I'm surprised we got the #2 team. Usually, we don't get squat. Even though the Bills with their tough schedule kept the NFL afloat last season with great games to watch.....

Pittsburgh is going to give us all they've got in week one. If we're ready, ready for a big swing or two,  we should be able to handle them. Though we have to play four quarters as well, as Ben can come back.

I think I'm going to start a weekly appreciation practice of thanking 29 NFL teams for not taking Gregory Rousseau. Thank you, Stealers. Thanks for drafting a RB instead. Thanks for drafting Nanje Harris. (LOL, I hope he doesn't burn us! Knock on wood. No, if we can't stop the run, we don't deserve a Super Bowl!)  Anyway, I have to thank the whole NFL community for being down on Gregory Rousseau. The Bills got few if any good draft grades this year with the Groot pick. I know I'm crowning him a nfl success far too early, but you can see Greg is gigantic with super long arms and is very strong and athletic. Just wait till next year after he gets a season of professional weight lifting and a second season in Buffalo. Hopefully, the Bills don't lose too many defensive coaches this offseason. ... I think this is the year our new(er) DL earns his money. Last year, ######ed our learning season due to covid. Now, Daryl Johnson is changing his name to Bam  and is looking like a different player. AJ seems ready as well. And the rookies seem mean and hungry. I love it. If we lose Leslie, it looks like he becomes coordinator.

The Big question is though.... Can Tremaine play with purpose and take players out with tight coverage. Stop RBs in their tracks and possibly beat a block once in a while? That's what we need to see this year from him to beat the chefs, imho. Tremaine has to step up! When F***ing Kelce is anywhere near him, go to him and play him tight, you won't be sorry, Tremaine. Don't play loose zone and treat him like a non-threat. Take him out and get the sack (with our new pass rush).

Or get the INT. That's what needs to happen....

Thoughts?

• Agree 1

Who thinks Rousseau should gain another thirty pounds and be Super Mario clone (but without the injuries and suspect effort.)

Or, should he stay at his current weight and be more of a Simeon Rice copy?

The way he moves I can see a Super Mario. Groot is just so strong already, imagine him with thirty f***ing pounds of muscle added on to that frame!

Or, he could learn tons more of pass rushing moves and play more with speed and athleticism. Develop an arsenal of pass rushing moves?

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His little tick of saying who is at left tackle every play grates on me. "Dawkins is at the left tackle". I know a lot of other announcers tell you who is in the backfield and I am not sure why it should be different but it just is :D

I guess everyone has their things they pay attention to.  I have never noticed the left tackle thing.  But I do notice the pep and excitement at which he calls the game, especially big moments, he nails it for me.