Rousseau The Sack Artist

Milanos Milano

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I should know this - is that 6 distinct snaps, or is there overlap between the pressures and QB hits and sack?

I went back and watched all his snaps myself. This is what I came away with:

1 Nothing
2 Pushed the pocket, not quite a pressure
3 Pressure
4 Nothing
5 Pressure/QB hit (unblocked on a bootleg, kept Dalton contained)
6 Sack
7 Quick screen pass, nothing much to judge on this one

So I would say out of 6 legitimate pass rushing snaps he at least pushed the pocket on 4 of them, 3 where he directly impacted the play. 50% isn't too shabby for a supposedly raw rookie.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I went back and watched all his snaps myself. This is what I came away with:

1 Nothing
2 Pushed the pocket, not quite a pressure
3 Pressure
4 Nothing
5 Pressure/QB hit (unblocked on a bootleg, kept Dalton contained)
6 Sack
7 Quick screen pass, nothing much to judge on this one

So I would say out of 6 legitimate pass rushing snaps he at least pushed the pocket on 4 of them, 3 where he directly impacted the play. 50% isn't too shabby for a supposedly raw rookie.

It’s very impressive, and a great way to start your career. I really hope he’s finally an answer to our pass rushing problems.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s very impressive, and a great way to start your career. I really hope he’s finally an answer to our pass rushing problems.

We want “that guy” other teams have to game plan around! Know where he is every play, and adjust. He could be the answer. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Everytime he gets a sack, they have to play the "I am Groot" audio clip at the stadium.

Only if they make a deal with Marvel Studio.  

If Rousseau is a probowl rookie and continues next year I can see Marvel adverting Guardians of the Galaxy 3 on Bills games in playoffs.

It is supposed to be a May 2023 release. 

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Only if they make a deal with Marvel Studio.  

If Rousseau is a probowl rookie and continues next year I can see Marvel adverting Guardians of the Galaxy 3 on Bills games in playoffs.

It is supposed to be a May 2023 release. 

This kind of material gets licensed all the time. And I'm sure PSE can get them to respond quickly:

permissions@marvel.com

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

I am so curious to see if his seeming dominance continues in the regular season.

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Early in the year he looks like he could have some favorable matchups against other teams right tackles. 

I think the match ups bode well. Sewell is a very good prospect and the fact he had success early against him is a good sign. 

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He literally just changed positions

And I know he was out of football last season.  I'm a fan of the guy.  A lot of us were thinking he'd need time to acclimate to the NFL and Boogie Basham might have more impact in the immediate future, but Rousseau has been a pleasant surprise.  None of that changes the fact that he's something of a one trick pony and depending on how many snaps he gets, opposing coaches will be motivated to try and take that one trick away.  Furthermore, I think Rousseau probably knows that and the Bills coaching staff knows it and they're probably all working to diversify his arsenal of moves.

2 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

And I know he was out of football last season.  I'm a fan of the guy.  A lot of us were thinking he'd need time to acclimate to the NFL and Boogie Basham might have more impact in the immediate future, but Rousseau has been a pleasant surprise.  None of that changes the fact that he's something of a one trick pony and depending on how many snaps he gets, opposing coaches will be motivated to try and take that one trick away.  Furthermore, I think Rousseau probably knows that and the Bills coaching staff knows it and they're probably all working to diversify his arsenal of moves.

There are two types of one trick ponies as you say. But his length and size make him different than other rushers that may have one signature move. Not that Rousseau is Abdul Jabbar but you couldn’t stop the Sky hook no matter what you did because he was just taller and had longer arms than your guy. Again not saying he’s going to be a star or that coaches won’t be able to figure him out. But the physical superiority is tougher to stop than any moves or power or speed other edge guys have. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

I want to see how this season plays out before I get super confident in my stance on here what I will say is whenever you have a player who just started playing a position he is going to be at a disadvantage because of all of the years that other players in his position have perfected their craft the fact is he is such a physical freak that if he works hard he should Dominate

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

The use of his hands combined with his power/length is what’s gonna make him great. Aaron Donald doesn’t win his matchups with a bevy of moves. Neither does Calais Campbell. Watching the Reggie White highlights didn’t display many spin moves. All of the guys i mentioned were relentless when they were rushing the passer. Let’s hope Rousseau develops that same type of motor

Edited by Solomon Grundy

9 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The use of his hands combined with his power/length is what’s gonna make him great. Aaron Donald doesn’t win his matchups with a bevy of moves. Neither does Calais Campbell. Watching the Reggie White highlights didn’t display many spin moves. All of the guys i mentioned were relentless when they were rushing the passer. Let’s hope Rousseau develops that same type of motor

Pass rushing moves are way more subtle than spinning. Its largely hand fighting.  If you only have one move, tackles will adapt.  You need to have success using your strengths to get tackles to start cheating and then you have set them up for other moves.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Interesting that Basham seems to be playing, mostly, inside.  …and he looks fantastic in doing so.  

I was going to comment after seeing some of the film.  You are so right.  This could get very interesting where he takes snaps Saturday.

I know some of these numbers are not truly accurate but at the combine Basham weighed 274.  His listing on Bills site is 281 and his

listing on Pro Football Reference is 285.   Maybe he takes a number snaps at DT on passing downs. 

I wonder how much more weight he could put on while keeping his mobility?

Could he end up being some sort of hybrid DE/DT?  Is that a way McDermott pictures him now?

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There are two types of one trick ponies as you say. But his length and size make him different than other rushers that may have one signature move. Not that Rousseau is Abdul Jabbar but you couldn’t stop the Sky hook no matter what you did because he was just taller and had longer arms than your guy. Again not saying he’s going to be a star or that coaches won’t be able to figure him out. But the physical superiority is tougher to stop than any moves or power or speed other edge guys have. 

I was thinking the other day that his nickname should be The General Will. It's preferable to Groot, at least in my (nerdy) opinion! A bit more menacing. 

• Like (+1) 1

I understood taking Basham, i.e. BPA, but I didn't agree with adding another DE considering they had just drafted Rousseau, had Hughes, Epenesa, Johnson, signed Obada and redid Addison's contract.  But if he can become a stud DT...

32 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Orlovsky just predicted Rousseau to lead league in sacks. Led FBS with 1 sack every 5.9 rush attempts

Saw that today on ESPN. Although I think this would obviously be awesome, I can't think of a rookie DE that was the NFL sack leader in the past. 

Maybe Lawrence Taylor?

"Solomon Grundy"? Why pick a name of a character that never lived to see the Bills play on a Sunday? 😵

EdW

On 8/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, costrovs said:

2nd most sacks(15.5) behind Chase Young(16.5) in college football in 2019. 6'7" 266 pounds. The kids a beast.

Between him and AJ, this could end up being 2, very, VERY good DE's.

Agree ^^^^ 

I think people underestimate how strong Rousseau really is  , he’s moving tackles of the spot with one hand/punch  to the chest , 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Saw that today on ESPN. Although I think this would obviously be awesome, I can't think of a rookie DE that was the NFL sack leader in the past. 

Maybe Lawrence Taylor?

"Solomon Grundy"? Why pick a name of a character that never lived to see the Bills play on a Sunday? 😵

EdW

Grundy died after Kelly era, resurrected for Allen era

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

Maybe Lawrence Taylor?

EdW

Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,
Christened on a stark and stormy Tuesday,
Married on a grey and grisly Wednesday,
Took ill on a mild and mellow Thursday,
Grew worse on a bright and breezy Friday, 
Died on a grey and glorious Saturday,
Buried on a baking, blistering Sunday.
That was the end of Solomon Grundy.

So he definitely gets to watch SOME games especially in current environment when games can be any day of the week.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, Doc said:

I understood taking Basham, i.e. BPA, but I didn't agree with adding another DE considering they had just drafted Rousseau, had Hughes, Epenesa, Johnson, signed Obada and redid Addison's contract.  But if he can become a stud DT...

I think it was also justified by looking to the future and knowing we will lose Hughes and Addison probably after this season.

I admit that I was surprised by the pick as well, but we really needed pass rushers. I'm so glad that we finally seem to have the guns necessary to get after some of the elite QB's we'll be facing. Tampa just won a Superbowl because they were able to pressure Mahomes.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday,
Christened on a stark and stormy Tuesday,
Married on a grey and grisly Wednesday,
Took ill on a mild and mellow Thursday,
Grew worse on a bright and breezy Friday, 
Died on a grey and glorious Saturday,
Buried on a baking, blistering Sunday.
That was the end of Solomon Grundy.

So he definitely gets to watch SOME games especially in current environment when games can be any day of the week.

The undead monster known as Solomon Grundy is powerful, immortal and bad news for every hero unfortunate enough to cross his path. ... When Grundy dies, he eventually rises again, emerging from the depths of his original resting place in the swamp to wreak havoc on the living.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.