Base for Edmunds extension? D Leonard signs 5 years 99 million

DJB

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you have been bickering against the narrative that Edmunds isn't playing up to expectations/potential.........or making excuses for why he hasn't........but still don't think he deserves $20M/yr for his age 24-28 seasons.........there's your sign that you have been wrong all along.

This is the new market rate for a top, young veteran MLB.

Edmunds is definitely not a top, young MLB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds is almost 3 years younger.  He wil get similar money from Buffalo or more on the open market.  I dont know what some expect.  If you have a guy who is top 5 in there position they are going to get market value.  Now I expect Beane to take a wait and see approach with Edmunds.  If he makes some impact plays (ie catching the ball when it comes to him)  I think they pay him aswell.  Last season the defense went as he went.  After he got closer to 100% he played better and the defense played better.  Allen and Edmunds are the precieved pillars of the franchise.  Allen is set in stone now.  Its up to Edmunds to earn the same status.

I also doubt people follow Leonard and the Colts as much as Edmunds and the Bills.  Leonard is undersized he played last year around 215.  He has made a handful of splash plays Edmunds has dropped.  I think with a deeper look and his weaknesses are not to differant than Edmunds.  Imo Edmunds is in position to have an incredible year.  He has all the tools just needs to take over some games now. Some picks, some forced fumbles, and some sacks.  He has flashed all of those as a young player.  Put it all together and he can be a beast.

Edmunds isn’t even in the top 3 of Bills’ MLBs of all time. For what he gave up for him so far he’s been a borderline bust in my opinion. To earn that money, he needs more turnovers and game changing TFLs & sacks. Him & Oliver have been huge disappointments in my eyes. I don’t care what PFF has to say, I watched every game he’s played in. Like most people pointed out, he needs to have a big year and I think he does. The potential is there, but SO FAR he doesn’t deserve it. Change my mind…

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - and this was why in the Who’s next thread - I said he needed to be next - before this contract came out.

Mike from SPOTRAC mentioned that before Darius signs - you have a shot at Edmunds at 12-13 million AAV, but if Darius gets 20+ million as he thought - Edmunds immediately jumps to 17-18 million AAV and probably out of the prices range they can slot in.

Wasn’t this already decided when Warner signed?  How does Darius change things?  The second Warner signed, Darius’ floor was set.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I just don’t understand the edmunds hate around here. The guy is respected by coaches and peers alike. He is also yet to hit his ceiling. 

In my opinion,  it's not hate towards Edmunds, it's disappointment.  He hasnt progressed fast enough into the game changing LB we all hoped he would be. He's a solid player,  but i was expecting greatness based on his physical traits and hype. I haven't caught a glimpse of him being great yet except for maybe 1 game out of 3 seasons. Maybe this is the year it all comes together. If not, i don't see him here after the option year. 

As many said, Edmunds hasn't produced like Leonard to this point. Potential is there and we have him locked up through next season.  It makes sense for both sides to play this year out and then see what happens.  

As much debated, many think he's run of the mill.  While others, like myself, think he is already top 3 in AFC and potential to be the best.

Many factors last year, injuries and overall poorer play up front. I'm thinking he will good for 2-3 Ints, 3 sacks and a couple FFs and recoveries this season.  That's the bar I'm hoping he hits and consider that top level play, in terms of impact plays

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea what a strange thread..... the same people arguing Edmunds is a top LB in the league are the some of the same people in this thread suggesting they wouldn’t pay him the going rate for a top LB. 😅

You knew that was gonna' happen.

Edmunds has struggled to make big plays for 3 years...........every time I've mentioned it,  it's been met with much denial or downplayed/excused.    

Now everyone says he needs to start making big plays to deserve the big money........go figure.:lol:

@JGMcD2 is one of them.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills simply need to use a top pick on an LB. Edmunds is not on the level of an Allen, White, Dawkins as far as deserving to be a franchise cornerstone. You can only have so many. Sometimes you have to draft to replace. You can't pay everyone huge money.

Yup, and we might be in a similar situation with Oliver if he doesn’t step up big time...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Edmunds has struggled to make big plays for 3 years...........every time I've mentioned it,  it's been met with much denial or downplayed/excused.    

Now everyone says he needs to start making big plays to deserve the big money........go figure.:lol:

@JGMcD2 is one of them.

@mods I take offense to personal attacks. 

Ban this guy please. 😊

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

In my opinion,  it's not hate towards Edmunds, it's disappointment.  He hasnt progressed fast enough into the game changing LB we all hoped he would be. He's a solid player,  but i was expecting greatness based on his physical traits and hype. I haven't caught a glimpse of him being great yet except for maybe 1 game out of 3 seasons. Maybe this is the year it all comes together. If not, i don't see him here after the option year. 

The problem with this is that people expected him to be game changing.   Someone pointed this out to me a few weeks ago.  There was and is no reason to expect greatness of him.  He was drafted 17th, and that may have been a little high.   The star linebackers, the guys you expect to make impact immediately, go in the top 10.   

When you draft a guy 17, of course you HOPE he'll blossom and prove to have been a steal at 17, but the reality is that rarely happens.   The reasonable expectation for a guy drafted 17 is that he'll be a solid starter for a long time, maybe make the Pro Bowl a few times.   

I agree about the hype.  McDermott and Beane were really excited about him they drafted him, and they made it sound like they did steal the guy.  That hasn't proved to have been true, at least not yet, but treating the guy as a bust is basing your opinion on your expectations rather than the reality of a 17th pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

@JGMcD2 is one of them.

That’s also not an accurate portrayal of what I’ve expressed in the past… glad to see you’re still an expert in word gymnastics. 

My thoughts in the past and my post upthread, technically, do include me in your group of “everyone” though… 

23 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bills simply need to use a top pick on an LB. Edmunds is not on the level of an Allen, White, Dawkins as far as deserving to be a franchise cornerstone. You can only have so many. Sometimes you have to draft to replace. You can't pay everyone huge money.

If Edmunds is what you can get with a 17, why do you think the Bills will do better drafting at 30?

I’ve argued he’s not a bust and provides an element in our defense that gives defensive coordinators fits… ***** WEIRD THAT THERE WAS A POLL OF DEFENSIVE COORDINATORS AND THEY SAID JUST THIS

The I said upthread he should get 4 years and $70-$80M

In my eyes he gets $70M over 4 years 

That, with the 5th year option at $12.5M makes it 5 years and $82.5M which $16.5M AAV… one of the higher paid linebackers but not paid like Leonard and Warner just got paid… 

Edited by JGMcD2

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The problem with this is that people expected him to be game changing.  

There was and is no reason to expect greatness of him. 

He was drafted 17th, and that may have been a little high.   

The star linebackers, the guys you expect to make impact immediately, go in the top 10.   

No........ANY LB in this era of the NFL that is selected in round 1 is expected to be a game changer.

When you go with lesser valued positions in round 1............more is expected.

#17 overall for a DE or LT or CB isn't necessarily expected to be an All-Pro type...........but an off-ball LB or safety or RB or interior OL/RT are all expected to be dominant if taken anywhere in round 1..........most definitely in the middle of it.

And yes, when the likely very best player at the position......like Darius Leonard.......is signing for just under $20M/per.......that's still devalued.........that's A LOT less than the top LT/CB/WR/Pass Rusher would sign for right here and now.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No........ANY LB in this era of the NFL that is selected in round 1 is expected to be a game changer.

When you go with lesser valued positions in round 1............more is expected.

#17 overall for a DE or LT or CB isn't necessarily expected to be an All-Pro type...........but an off-ball LB or safety or RB or interior OL/RT are all expected to be dominant if taken anywhere in round 1..........most definitely in the middle of it.

And yes, when the likely very best player at the position......like Darius Leonard.......is signing for just under $20M/per.......that's still devalued.........that's A LOT less than the top LT/CB/WR/Pass Rusher would sign for right here and now.

There maybe a two dozen game changing non-QBs in the game, at all positions.   There are 3 or 4 or 5 linebackers.  They don't fall to 17.

Sure, there are other guys who make plays, but that's different from being a game changer.  If you're fast, at that position you're always going to get opportunities to make plays.   Edmunds makes his share of them.   

Game-changers go in the first six to eight picks.   After that, if you find a star, you got lucky.  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There maybe a two dozen game changing non-QBs in the game, at all positions.   There are 3 or 4 or 5 linebackers.  They don't fall to 17.

Sure, there are other guys who make plays, but that's different from being a game changer.  If you're fast, at that position you're always going to get opportunities to make plays.   Edmunds makes his share of them.   

Game-changers go in the first six to eight picks.   After that, if you find a star, you got lucky.  

So less game changers than All Pro's?

Mmmkay.:lol:

You are literally just pulling these takes out of your backside...........don't make me call John Wawrow!😉

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If Edmunds is what you can get with a 17, why do you think the Bills will do better drafting at 30?

Well, Leonard was drafted 36th overall and he’s a three time All Pro. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Who’s going to tell Aaron Donald that he’s not a game changer because he went 13th overall?

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Well, Leonard was drafted 36th overall and he’s a three time All Pro. 

Who’s going to tell Aaron Donald that he’s not a game changer because he went 13th overall?

The question is whether the odds are against or with you if you want a game changer late in the first round of the draft.  The answer is definitely against you.   

Nobody reasonably expects to find an Aaron Donald at 13.

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I just don’t understand the edmunds hate around here. The guy is respected by coaches and peers alike. He is also yet to hit his ceiling. 

Hate?  I think that’s a poor choice of words. Most just think that he’s a decent LB…..he’s just not in the same stratosphere as the big boys and isn’t worth that kind of money for what he brings each week.  Maybe that will change this year. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The question is whether the odds are against or with you if you want a game changer late in the first round of the draft.  The answer is definitely against you.   

Nobody reasonably expects to find an Aaron Donald at 13.

If you don't think that teams can find a difference maker at 17 - especially at MLB - then I don’t know what to tell you.  Interior LBs are almost never taken early in the first round anyway.

The Donald comment was just to show how ridiculous your statement about not finding difference makers after the early 1st is.  The NFL is full of them.  The Bills have a bunch of them too. How about Tre White?  Or Diggs?  Beasley?  Hyde?  Poyer?  Milano?

• Like (+1) 1

Some players the Bills will have to let walk. If Epenesa. Rousseau, and Basham hsow promise we can go cheap at DE for 3 years. That would help cover the cost of Edmunds. So it's possible they can sign him and keep most of the defense together. Move on from Hughes and Addison. 

Right now though I'm letting Edmunds and Oliver walk. I think the Bills value draft picks though and will try to keep both. Oliver still has a couple more years to prove his worth. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I don't see how Edmunds is in the same numbers as Leonard, there is clearly a level of difference between them currently. If Edmunds has another year where he is the last LB in the Pro Bowl then I certainly see 4 years at 64 million type deal.