Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah Lamar is not in that elite passer tier I’d put players like Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes. Ravens’ fans can believe what they want I’ve seen enough of LJ to know he has some pretty obvious limitations. 

but we’ll see. He could improve and move into that top tier. He’s going to end up getting paid like he’s in that tier either way.

It still blows my mind that we watched Allen and Jackson go head to head this year and Allen without question out duelled Jackson and people still argue jackson is better.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills were pretty obviously selling out the passing game to defend Lamar in 2019 and 2020 when they played him

And the W in 2019 wasn't because that mode of defense failed, it hinged on a handful of other plays such as Judon's strip sack of Allen on the Buff 26 yd line and a couple other plays.

without a doubt. While @Protocal69 is definitely right there are plenty out there that think LJ is an “elite” passer, there are others, right on this board, that think Jackson is a one-dimensional, total non-threat as a thrower. I think both those are wrong. He can make throws.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually no one really out dueled anyone thanks to the wind playing a huge part. The difference in the game was a pick 6. 

A pick six is the worst thing a qb can do.

One qb did, one didn't.

I'd give the "duel" decision to the one who didn't.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

One qb did, one didn't.

Agree on the pick 6 worst.  To be fair to LJ, when a pass is intercepted on the opponents goal line, "pick 6" is not the usual outcome.

One QB threw a TD (1-0), one QB threw a pick-6 (0-1).  So to the chap you're responding to, the difference in the game is a bit more than a pick-6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, sherpa said:

One qb did, one didn't.

it was a bad play (probably the worst play in that situation). But it wasn’t like Allen blew him out of the water that game is all we’re saying. And it’s not like QBs are playing truly “head-to-head” ever anyways.

Jackson can credibly make the argument to get more than Allen. And if they keep running read option the Ravens won’t need a ton of cap for top skill positions…but then the question becomes whether you need to spend that much on a QB for that offensive system.

Mayfield on the other hand has no grounds to be close to highest paid and will likely suffer most from such a contract.

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Ravens fans and supporters ALL make the argument that Lamar is a great passer because he won MVP, threw for 36 Tds and has a higher QBR. While that is true it really doesn't tell the whole story.

Yes they bring up the 36 TD the QBR and he’s 1200 rushing yards , but you’ll never hear anything about his passing yards that season 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Actually no one really out dueled anyone thanks to the wind playing a huge part. The difference in the game was a pick 6. 

The difference in the game was Allen throwing  a TD and Lamar threw a pick 6 , and even without the pick 6 we still win that game .
Go Bills baby !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Yes they bring up the 36 TD the QBR and he’s 1200 rushing yards , but you’ll never hear anything about his passing yards that season 

Never my guy. Its like they lie through omission. Those are the 3 stats that they bring up and they act like he did that for ALL 3 Seasons.

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

It still blows my mind that we watched Allen and Jackson go head to head this year and Allen without question out duelled Jackson and people still argue jackson is better.

Because they got the built in excuse that Allen has Diggs so it doesn't count

I admit I haven't read every message, so perhaps the info I'm looking for is buried in this thread. If so, just let me know. But I googled a bit and still can't find precisely what I'm looking for. 

What was Josh's cap hit for 2021 and 2022 BEFORE the new contract. And with the new contract what are the salary cap hits now. I've heard he saved us money in 2022, but I haven't seen the before and after numbers for both years.  

I'm completely stoked with the contract no matter what, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Even if Ramsey would come to Buffalo on the vet minimum, I wouldn’t take him. He’s a trash human being. You can’t build a team around those type of “me” people.

What if he apologized?

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I admit I haven't read every message, so perhaps the info I'm looking for is buried in this thread. If so, just let me know. But I googled a bit and still can't find precisely what I'm looking for. 

What was Josh's cap hit for 2021 and 2022 BEFORE the new contract. And with the new contract what are the salary cap hits now. I've heard he saved us money in 2022, but I haven't seen the before and after numbers for both years.  

Thanks in advance.

I think it was about 8m over the next 2yrs that they save. 

I'm sure I'm wrong but I feel like I'm close. 

And I'm lazy so someone else can tell you eventually. 🙂 

Edited by The Wiz

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think it was about 8m over the next 2yrs that they save. 

I'm sure I'm wrong but I feel like I'm close. 

And I'm lazy so someone else can tell you eventually. 🙂 

No problem. You answered my question on the other thread.

But this is the kind of stuff I'm seeing, as well as a few others. Just looking for the year by year breakdown. But thanks for the effort.

45 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Thanks in advance.

Good question.  Allen's 5th year option is easy: $23M

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/buffalo-bills-fifth-year-option-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds/

It's not as easy to find what his cap hit was this year before the new contract.  I think his cap hit this year (before the new contract) was $6.9M.

I got there by taking the reported value of his rookie deal, $21.183M, and subtracting his reported cap value for 2018, 2019, and 2020.

https://overthecap.com/player/josh-allen/6892/

If correct, his contract ADDED to the Bills cap liabilities by $3.3M this season, but they will save $6.62M next season

Hope this helps

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good question.  Allen's 5th year option is easy: $23M

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/buffalo-bills-fifth-year-option-josh-allen-tremaine-edmunds/

It's not as easy to find what his cap hit was this year before the new contract.  I think his cap hit this year (before the new contract) was $6.9M.

I got there by taking the reported value of his rookie deal, $21.183M, and subtracting his reported cap value for 2018, 2019, and 2020.

https://overthecap.com/player/josh-allen/6892/

If correct, his contract ADDED to the Bills cap liabilities by $3.3M this season, but they will save $6.62M next season

Hope this helps

Well, yes it does. Thanks. That gives me a bit of confidence on 2022. I'd love to get a definitive answer on this year? 

I would think, when reporting the structure and its impact on the cap, a good reporter (who specializes in this sort of thing) might have (and share) this information. But they haven't so far, as far as I can tell. I see comments that now the Bills are in cap hell. I know the contract is structured pretty well going forward to avoid that. But I wonder, what has it done to this year's cap?  How much cap room did the Bills have before he signed? How much do they have now?  Should be simple, right?  

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

But I wonder, what has it done to this year's cap?  How much cap room did the Bills have before he signed? How much do they have now?  Should be simple, right?  

I'm really terrible with this stuff so take this with a truckload of road salt, but I think they were about 9mil under the cap before and are about 6 mil under now?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm really terrible with this stuff so take this with a truckload of road salt, but I think they were about 9mil under the cap before and are about 6 mil under now?

Seems about right. Thanks Simon. How ya doin?

I didn't even realize the Bills had that much to spend, this year. 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

Well, yes it does. Thanks. That gives me a bit of confidence on 2022. I'd love to get a definitive answer on this year? 

I would think, when reporting the structure and its impact on the cap, a good reporter (who specializes in this sort of thing) might have (and share) this information. But they haven't so far, as far as I can tell. I see comments that now the Bills are in cap hell. I know the contract is structured pretty well going forward to avoid that. But I wonder, what has it done to this year's cap?  How much cap room did the Bills have before he signed? How much do they have now?  Should be simple, right?  

TL;DR the Bills are in the bottom quarter of the league for cap to spend.  Either 26th or 28th in available cap (different sources)

The problem is, the cap estimates available publicly are just that - estimates, and they differ from person to site to site.

After Allen's signing, Spotrac reports that the Bills have $4.8M in available cap.

OvertheCap reports $7.2M in available cap

At one point I was curious and dove into the differences between the sites.   They differ in details like whether they consider the signing bonuses of players below the top-51 (Spotrac does, Overthecap doesn't), and whether they account for every penny of dead cap (Spotrac) or just the dead cap hits over $100k (Overthecap).  That latter is approximately $1.5M of the difference.  The former is about $0.73M of the difference ($50k here, $50k there, sooner or later you're talking real money)

I have no idea which way the NFL does it, so I have no idea which cap figure is closer to correct.

I can't find reporting on what the Bills cap space was before Allen's contract was signed, but since he seems to have added $3.3M to his current year, they likely had between $8.1M and $10.5M.

Best I can do.

Diggs restructure in June created $7.8M in cap space.   Before that I think the Bills were pretty tight.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

As a ballpark estimate, it's pretty durn good.  It basically splits the difference between the two major public "Capology" sites.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As I’ve previously posted, I’ll always leave the numbers to the people who are paid to do this work…but as a rule would it be correct that a rookie contract is structured to be good for both sides? If a guy does well he has leverage, and backloading that rookie deal keeps the bump from being so horrific for the Front Office that they’re forced to give away talent they’ve grown. Therefore if well negotiated, this/next years salary cap hit generally wouldn’t be that large no matter who the player or team is. Yes?

I hope they pay Lamar Mahomes like money. Then they will be stuck with him for at least half a decade. I think Lamar has hit his ceiling and Baltimore will continue to be a playoff contender but will have to get used to making early exits. He’s been figured out. That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player btw, I just don’t think he’s going to improve his passing much beyond what we’ve seen and as the years go by those legs will fade.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

LJ lead his team, and josh lead his. Josh drove the feild and threw a td in a windy game when they needed. LJ drove the feild and threw a terrible pick with the game on the line. Not saying josh had an amazing game, but both qbs faced the same pressure on the big stage and weather conditions and one came out on top.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Even if Ramsey would come to Buffalo on the vet minimum, I wouldn’t take him. He’s a trash human being. You can’t build a team around those type of “me” people.

A) insane statement

B) you know absolutely nothing about him other than that he said mean things about Allen because he was speaking honestly.

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

A) insane statement

B) you know absolutely nothing about him other than that he said mean things about Allen because he was speaking honestly.

a) agreed this is an insane comment .. he is an all-pro

b) he was expressing his honest / uninformed opinion .. certainly not facts.. he should avoid scouting when he retires 

23 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

a) agreed this is an insane comment .. he is an all-pro

b) he was expressing his honest / uninformed opinion .. certainly not facts.. he should avoid scouting when he retires 

Was it uninformed when at the same time tons of people in the media were saying as bad or worse? It's all there, documented.

Anyway, yeah, bad thing to say but I'm not going to get butthurt and say that I'd refuse the best CB in the NFL for vet minimum because he was mean to Josh.

6 hours ago, Boxcar said:

A) insane statement

One might say he was speaking out his azs, that does not make a statement honest, except for revealing his cognitive capacity…, 

10 hours ago, Boxcar said:

A) insane statement

Honestly  he should have kept his mouth shut because Josh sent him back to Jacksonville and then to LA with a BIG  L 

Edited by Putin

As I read more about what is being speculated about Baker and Lamar I am loving this contract. Several writers I saw are speaking as if this is the floor for a contract for those two, especially if the salary cap jumps as predicted. I do agree that the 3 year aggregate for the other two is better I doubt many expect the next 6 years to be better.