Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sure the contract breakdown is already buried in here from last night, but I saw a tweet that the Bills can get out of the deal in 2 years unscathed. Is that accurate?

This is the best breakdown I've seen from Mike Florio.    Click the screencap to embiggen.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/06/inside-the-josh-allen-deal/

Some others have the numbers, but not the details on what parts are guaranteed when

I think the key detail Geary and others are missing is that the 2022 option bonus is fully guaranteed at signing, as is Allen's base salary through 2023.

image.thumb.png.c63f35bea5c5b211a930ae0457bd114b.png

4 hours ago, wjag said:

This might be the nicest Nick has been to Josh when talking about him.  I know it may not be a popular opinion on here, but I like Nick Wright.  Sure he is a Chief's fan and fanboy of MyMahommy.  But watching him speak about Josh over the last year, he is grudgingly coming around.  And maybe that is just the best testament of Josh Allen.  Slowly, surely, inevitably, he is winning over his toughest critcs.  He is the least egocentric NFL player I can remember.  He not only elevates his play and his teammates, but he is a great interview.  He never gives you a cringe moment.  His charisma smarms the interviewers, fans and critics alike.  I have so many non-Bills fans, being an expat, that tell me they love watching the Bills and Josh Allen now.  There is something about his story, his withering criticisms he endured by the media, and his humbling worth ethic that just draws you in.  And we get to enjoy the ride for the next 8 years.

Allen is playing like Brady -  Always with a chip on the shoulder....always having doubters and haters...and folks who are waiting to prove him wrong every time he makes a mistake.  And that is fine by the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A solid deal for both sides. Josh gets the big bag and the big guarantee. The Bills while not getting a "favorable" deal did get a solid deal and now can build out their future knowing exactly what Josh's contract will be. The Bills also keep their franchise QB (God that feels good to say) in place for the foreseeable future. 

And fans that expected him to take much less, or give the Bills a discount because "reasons" can go cry now.

He's making just less than Mahomes, the highest paid player in the league, and you know what... that's exactly what he deserves as a young, talented franchise QB. I'm just saying this for anyone who even so much as thought Josh should've taken less just to be a nice guy. It's the NFL, you should get paid what you're worth!

Get your money now, and in time if you want to chase more rings (gotta assume we're going to win at least one SB right? lol), sure, take a cut if you want to help sign some more help. But until then, get every penny you can!

As long as he keeps working hard as always, the money is well spent! I just want to say congrats to Josh, congrats to the Bills, congrats to the fans! It's not our money, so let's just be happy for the guy getting paid :) 

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I have some experience, with matters such as these. Believe me. It is more than possible!

If Allen Incorporates as 'Josh Allen Inc.', he can take advantage of Corp tax rates, by having the Buffalo Bills pay his salary, and bonuses to the 'Corporation'. As an Officer of the Corporation, Allen can pay himself a salary FROM the Corporation, that can be anything. ($50k?) He can make investments, and file for exempt status for those investments with NYS form CT-3.1. Allen's cash isn't going to sit in the bank, so he will have much to work with, in terms of investments, and deductions from those investments. Here is a current NYS tax table, that highlights the State's rates for Corporations: 

TaxTable.jpg

As you can see, New York State Corporate tax rates are pretty low. When Corp Tax Credits enter the picture, it becomes ridiculous.

Interesting. I wonder why more players don't do this then.

Edited by jeremy2020

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

what doesn’t add up? Playoff numbers/results don’t factor into MVP voting. 

What Im talking about is using 36TD passes and 64% completion as a indicator of him being a great passer at this point when his team is dead last in passing. His MVP award was gained because he ran for 1200 yards not because he threw 36 TD passes. Good for him. I battle with Ravens who swear that Lamar Jackson is overall better passer than Josh Allen in 2020. That's crazy to me. Salute to Lamar Jackson though

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Such an odd post.  MVP is a regular season stat.  His real value is his running ability as he's put up back to back 1,000 yard rushing season.  He's won a playoff game so he has that monkey off his back.  Now, get him a new offensive coordinator and continue to upgrade his WR options.

You guys are talking crazy. If you understand what I am saying is that he his regular season performances are not carrying over to the playoffs. MVP or Not.

Im not saying he SHOULDNT have won MVP.  That is like me saying how is someone homeless and he makes 200,000 a year. That not me saying that it impossible for that to be the case BUT what I am saying is that you SHOULDN'T be homeless making 200,00 a year, the same way I'm saying you shouldn't win the MVP AND be one in done in the playoffs AND play bad in the process.

DO I REALLY HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR SOME OF YOU ON HERE. SMH

Edited by Protocal69
  • Eyeroll 2

17 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I would think, that they do, but that is never discussed publicly.

Or I should say there seem to be many, many articles about players not doing this. Seems like their accountants are dropping the ball. 

35 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

What Im talking about is using 36TD passes and 64% completion as a indicator of him being a great passer at this point when his team is dead last in passing. His MVP award was gained because he ran for 1200 yards not because he threw 36 TD passes. Good for him. I battle with Ravens who swear that Lamar Jackson is overall better passer than Josh Allen in 2020. That's crazy to me. Salute to Lamar Jackson though

I thought it was because Lamar ran for 1200 yds AND threw 36 TD passes.

No one could credibly deny he was the MVP of that team.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought it was because Lamar ran for 1200 yds AND threw 36 TD passes.

No one could credibly deny he was the MVP of that team.

I never denied that he should have won the MVP. What Im saying again is I think you shouldn't win MVP just to be one and done in the playoffs. Also I don't feel that his MVP says he is a great passer or that he is better than Josh Allen as overall QB.

Edited by Protocal69

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

I never denied that he should have won the MVP. What Im saying again is I think you shouldn't win MVP just to be one and done in the playoffs. Also I don't feel that his MVP says he is a great passer or that he is better than Josh Allen as overall QB.

What does this even mean? The two aren’t linked in any way. You’re responding to us like we’re dense when you’re not explaining whatever point this is clearly at all. Playoff games are tougher to win; the competition is more talented than many of the team you play in the regular season. 

But you’re saying (I think?) an MVP QB should never go one and done in playoffs? Sorry no. The MVP award is an individual honor, Wins and losses are on the team. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

What does this even mean? The two aren’t linked in any way. You’re responding to us like we’re dense when you’re not explaining whatever point this is clearly at all. Playoff games are tougher to win; the competition is more talented than many of the team you play in the regular season. 

But you’re saying (I think?) an MVP QB should never go one and done in playoffs? Sorry no. The MVP award is an individual honor, Wins and losses are on the team. 

You made the assumption that I said I questioned how did he win the MVP if he was one in done. The mere fact that I had to explain what I meant shows in that instance you and a few other were dense. Im not stupid. I didn't need be explained what criteria goes into voting for MVP so you did to me what you are trying to imply that I am doing to you. Crazy. You acting like Im saying that if someone like Derrick Henry won MVP that if the Titans went one and done I would look at Henry bad and that's not the case cause he is a running back. QB is just a little different.

So if wins and loss are on the team then why are QB win totals always mentioned when discussing QB's How many times have you heard Brady is 30-3 vs the BILLS. Rarely is it the Patriots are 30-3 vs the Bills. Its the same with Mahomes and for that matter Lamar. Yes in the totality WINS ARE TEAM stats (again I didn't need you to tell me that) BUT the QB is the by FAR the biggest contributor of wins and losses. Take Josh Allen off of the BILLS and tell me how many wins we would have had in 2020. Also remember you do have to use some context as well. There is a big difference where the QB is a big part of the offense vs the QB who is just a game manager type who is supported by a great defense. So all situations are not created equal.

So being good enough to be considered the best player in the league and especially at QB position and playing poorly and being one and done AND you are a big reason why your team didn't win game isn't a bad thing. Give me a break. Imagine Josh Allen coming off the season that he did just to turn around and play like garbage against the COLTS AND the BILLS lost are you trying to tell me at that point though Josh Allen had a great regular season that some people wouldn't look at that as a failure and question if he can get it done.

***** Allen had a MVP type season played great against the COLTS AND made it to the AFC Championship game and if you go on twitter people still question about if he is the guy or he saying he only had one good year. Look at how people was talking about Lamar in the post season until he got the win this year. That buys him time not to always hear how he can't win a playoff game. Using your augment why would it matter if Lamar could win a playoff game if win and loses are team stats. You act like I said he  won MVP he should have made it to the Super Bowl. Come on my guy.

Name me a sport where if the best player in league gets knocked out in the 1st round AND plays poorly some people would not look at that in a favorable manner. Lamar gets all the credit when the Ravens win buy when they lose its ' Well wins/losses are team stats' Which one is it. 

Let me ask you a question. How many great years has Lamar had since he has come into the league. I have a point to prove so I'll wait for your response. Before you put words in my mouth I think Lamar is a great talent but when I hear people use a couple of stats to make there point that Lamar is better with no context that's where you lose me.

Edited by Protocal69

Greg Roman. 

Colin Kaepernick - Superbowl appearance 

Tyrod Taylor - Pro-bowl selection

Lamar Jackson - League MVP 

LJ is IMO undeniably the most athletic of the group, but they all fit the same mold that works out well in Roman's scheme. 

The problem with 1 dimensional qbs like that, once teams "figure them out", its all over. A lethal pocket passer who also has mobility, that can hit anywhere on the field like Rogers JA and Mahomes are much more desirable in the modern NFL. 

28 minutes ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Greg Roman. 

LJ is IMO undeniably the most athletic of the group, but they all fit the same mold that works out well in Roman's scheme. 

The problem with 1 dimensional qbs like that, once teams "figure them out", its all over. A lethal pocket passer who also has mobility, that can hit anywhere on the field like Rogers JA and Mahomes are much more desirable in the modern NFL. 

I'll put it out there that if one QB can substantially improve his passing, there's really no reason another one can't. 

I thought Jackson took a step between 2019 and 2020 in some areas - for example, he went from 61.5 to 93.8 passer rating down the L side past 20 yds.  He was still very accurate across the field from 10-20 yds.  But his "money" passes under 10 yds took a hit, because defenses were keying on them and he was missing one of his favorite TE targets in Hayden Hurst.

There is a point that Jordan Palmer made that how easy it is for a QB to change his technique does depend upon how engrained it is from how long he's been doing it.  And from all reports Lamar Jackson and his mom have been heavily focused on having him play QB and nothing else, from a young age, with the same coaches working with him, so that does ratchet up the difficulty.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

You made the assumption that I said I questioned how did he win the MVP if he was one in done. The mere fact that I had to explain what I meant shows in that instance you and a few other were dense. Im not stupid. I didn't need be explained what criteria goes into voting for MVP so you did to me what you are trying to imply that I am doing to you. Crazy. You acting like Im saying that if someone like Derrick Henry won MVP that if the Titans went one and done I would look at Henry bad and that's not the case cause he is a running back. QB is just a little different.

So if wins and loss are on the team then why are QB win totals always mentioned when discussing QB's How many times have you heard Brady is 30-3 vs the BILLS. Rarely is it the Patriots are 30-3 vs the Bills. Its the same with Mahomes and for that matter Lamar. Yes in the totality WINS ARE TEAM stats (again I didn't need you to tell me that) BUT the QB is the by FAR the biggest contributor of wins and losses. Take Josh Allen off of the BILLS and tell me how many wins we would have had in 2020.  

So being good enough to be considered the best player in the league and especially at QB position and playing poorly and being one and done AND you are a big reason why your team didn't win game isn't a bad thing. Give me a break. Imagine Josh Allen coming off the season that he did just to turn around and play like garbage against the COLTS AND the BILLS lost are you trying to tell me at that point though Josh Allen had a great regular season that some people wouldn't look at that as a failure and question if he can get it done.

***** Allen had a MVP type season played great against the COLTS AND made it to the AFC Championship game and if you go on twitter people still question about if he is the guy or he saying he only had one good year. Look at how people was talking about Lamar in the post season until he got the win this year. That buys him time not to always hear how he can't win a playoff game. Using your augment why would it matter if Lamar could win a playoff game if win and loses are team stats. You act like I said he  won MVP he should have made it to the Super Bowl. Come on my guy.

Name me a sport where if the best player in league gets knocked out in the 1st round AND plays poorly some people would not look at that in a favorable manner. Lamar gets all the credit when the Ravens win buy when they lose its ' Well wins/losses are team stats' Which one is it. 

Let me ask you a question. How many great years has Lamar had since he has come into the league. I have a point to prove so I'll wait for your response. Before you put words in my mouth I think Lamar is a great talent but when I hear people use a couple of stats to make there point that Lamar is better with no context that's where you lose me.

Lamar’s had one great year and one good year. I don’t really count the rookie year. I don’t think he’s better than Allen - never said anything of the sort.

As for the rest of this, I still can’t reason why you’re so confused with earlier replies when your post linked MVP and playoff performance whether you meant to or not. It wasn’t worded well. Sorry you’re offended ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll put it out there that if one QB can substantially improve his passing, there's really no reason another one can't. 

I thought Jackson took a step between 2019 and 2020 in some areas - for example, he went from 61.5 to 93.8 passer rating down the L side past 20 yds.  He was still very accurate across the field from 10-20 yds.  But his "money" passes under 10 yds took a hit, because defenses were keying on them and he was missing one of his favorite TE targets in Hayden Hurst.

Oh yeah the book is not written on none of these guys. I hope Lamar shows everybody what is capable of what he is doing. My biggest issue is people equate him winning MVP to him being a great passer. I also feel that the Ravens are what is really holding him back in the passing. The question I have is why

5 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Oh yeah the book is not written on none of these guys. I hope Lamar shows everybody what is capable of what he is doing. My biggest issue is people equate him winning MVP to him being a great passer. I also feel that the Ravens are what is really holding him back in the passing. The question I have is why

Part of the answer is he’s had pretty terrible wideouts in Baltimore (albeit with a TE.) 

Another part of the answer is he can’t really throw outside the numbers that well. It’s a legit limitation of his that he may or may not improve. 

Who said “Lamar won MVP, ergo he’s a great passer?” 

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

You guys are talking crazy. If you understand what I am saying is that he his regular season performances are not carrying over to the playoffs. MVP or Not.

Im not saying he SHOULDNT have won MVP.  That is like me saying how is someone homeless and he makes 200,000 a year. That not me saying that it impossible for that to be the case BUT what I am saying is that you SHOULDN'T be homeless making 200,00 a year, the same way I'm saying you shouldn't win the MVP AND be one in done in the playoffs AND play bad in the process.

DO I REALLY HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR SOME OF YOU ON HERE. SMH

Did you blow 200k and are now homeless?

1 hour ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Greg Roman. 

If I'm Baltimore I put Lamar in a spread offense and see what he can do this season before I pay him.  He could be a better version of Kyler Murray.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Part of the answer is he’s had pretty terrible wideouts in Baltimore (albeit with a TE.) 

Another part of the answer is he can’t really throw outside the numbers that well. It’s a legit limitation of his that he may or may not improve. 

I dunno if anyone said "great passer" but "better QB than Allen because MVP" and because "winning team for 2 years" was said.  That latter kind of overlooks the fact that the Bills had a winning record in 2019, albeit 4 games less than the Ravens and the Ravens won the head-to-head, but the Ravens were the #1 scoring offense in 2019 while the Bills were #23; the Bills were the #2 scoring offense in 2020 while the Ravens slid to #7.

I didn't watch a lot of Ravens games, but those I watched in 2020 I saw Jackson hitting some throws I hadn't expected him to try, much less make, based on 2019.

I thought Marquise Brown is pretty good and Willie Snead's not bad, but yeah, in 2019 the Ravens got 1200 yds of receiving from 2 TE.  And yeah, at times in the playoff game the Bills basically dared him to pass.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Question: What millionaire discusses their tax avoidance strategy??

Many of them apparently. Antrel Rolle, Josh Martin, Drew Brees. Seems like an endless number of articles with specifics from named Athletes paying state income taxes who talk about it, but many of them probably don't understand what their accountants are doing. According to every article I've found is that players are paid as employees and their paychecks are cut directly to players and not incorporated entities on the player's behalf. 

The example used in this thread is EJ Manuel and the 'incorporation' around him was when he tried selling 'stock' in himself against 10% of his future earnings which may have been a creative way to accomplish this (if it had worked out) as he could have switched his income to the corporation and eventually 100% of his football earnings. 

I'm generally interested in the information you have. This is very intriguing to me as it seems to be a cleverly hidden secret. So it seems they're doing some really creative tricks to get paid as players and transferring that sum directly to corporations that aren't registered directly to themselves to avoid paying income tax from their game checks. However, they're accomplishing this transfer is a closely held secret and super effective (also, not able to be used by the regular league employees who don't make millions and also have to pay out of state income taxes).

It's also strange that players are claiming the state exemptions on income tax in other states while not having a taxable income themselves from their game salaries. So many loopholes in tax law that it's truly an impressive dance. 

This does seem to be a strategy for income outside of their salary such as advertising deals and the like, but I'm still struggling to find how their accomplishing this with their salary. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lamar’s had one great year and one good year. I don’t really count the rookie year. I don’t think he’s better than Allen - never said anything of the sort.

As for the rest of this, I still can’t reason why you’re so confused with earlier replies when your post linked MVP and playoff performance whether you meant to or not. It wasn’t worded well. Sorry you’re offended ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Oh its all good bro. We just talking though I can get a little abrasive when I'm trying to make a point. 

Regarding your answer I TOTALLY AGREE with your answer. The reason why I asked is because the narrative out there is that Lamar has had 3 GREAT seasons and Allen has one GREAT season with 2 terrible seasons.

They say that he has had 3 GREAT season because HE has made the playoffs every year when while thats true it does not tell the whole story and like you said his rookie year he gets credit for getting them there but none of the stats that he had. 

They don't mention that Allen only started 11 games in 2018. Allen played good in 2019 and the team made the playoffs but it is still considered that Allen in 2019 was terrible

So in people minds Lamar is the reason the Ravens made the playoffs but like you stated Wins are teams stats. So he gets credit for getting the team to the playoffs though his overall play was not good he should get the blame if the team doesn't get the win. Thats what I meant by the MVP comparison. 

Edited by Protocal69
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Ravens fans and supporters ALL make the argument that Lamar is a great passer because he won MVP, threw for 36 Tds and has a higher QBR. While that is true it really doesn't tell the whole story.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Ravens fans and supporters ALL make the argument that Lamar is a great passer because he won MVP, threw for 36 Tds and has a higher QBR. While that is true it really doesn't tell the whole story.

Yeah Lamar is not in that elite passer tier I’d put players like Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes. Ravens’ fans can believe what they want I’ve seen enough of LJ to know he has some pretty obvious limitations. 

but we’ll see. He could improve and move into that top tier. He’s going to end up getting paid like he’s in that tier either way.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Yeah Lamar is not in that elite passer tier I’d put players like Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes. Ravens’ fans can believe what they want I’ve seen enough of LJ to know he has some pretty obvious limitations. 

but we’ll see. He could improve and move into that top tier. He’s going to end up getting paid like he’s in that tier either way.

I agree. The receivers they added should help but is up the Ravens to call the plays and Lamar to execute the pass when they present themselves 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

The Bills were pretty obviously selling out the passing game to defend Lamar in 2019 and 2020 when they played him

And the W in 2019 wasn't because that mode of defense failed, it hinged on a handful of other plays such as Judon's strip sack of Allen on the Buff 26 yd line and a couple other plays.

• Agree 1