Josh Allen: Contract extended through 2028

eball

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Happy they got him locked-up. Not happy about the cost.  I’ll wait to see the details. 

From my somewhat naive perspective, cost seems fine given how it's added to existing contract and assumed increases in salary cap. But what do I know?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, wjag said:

Lost in all of this is JA17's agent is also a richer man today.

Lost on who? Other attorneys? 

3 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

Never change

Yeah, no. Already levied with posting restrictions. A real charmer, this one..🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Beane is a GotDam VAMPIRE! All his big signings are done at night! The other guy is always yawning, scratchin’ his nads ‘n sayin’ ‘yeah, whatever, man.. I’m goin’ to bed!’

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Interesting to see Browns/Ravens fans reaction.  

Consensus is that they both wish they got the deal done first, especially Ravens fans, as Allen likely set the floor for Lamar and gave a bargaining chip to Baker - even though both fan bases acknowledge Allen is the better QB.  

It’s a big advantage to be the first to get the deal done.  

Great job Beane!

Congrats JA17! 

Let’s goooo!!!!

This part surprises me.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I have been to a couple different raven boards.. everyone thinks Lamar Jackson is worth 3+ mil more then Allen. That being said everyone agrees... they wish they signed Jackson first

You see?

2 hours ago, Augie said:

This SHOULD set the ceiling for Baker and Lamar. Unfortunately, common sense doesn’t always apply when signing QB’s. In any event, the Bills are happy, and Josh is happy and we are (generally) happy. I’ll ignore what happens with other people’s money and QB’s. We got OUR guy! 

I hope to hell those guys get more than Josh.

That's two fewer teams we need to worry about in the AFC.

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

My two favorite parts of this comment:

1.) Citing "wins" as a meaningful QB stat.
2.) The insinuation that Lamar could or should get paid more than Patrick Mahomes

p.s. Josh's 2020 season was arguably better than Lamar Jackson's 2019 MVP season.
p.p.s...

tenor.gif

its the #1 stat for a qb they are the leaders of the team some guys find a way and some dont.

i am sure you can name off all these great QB's that have loosing records and all these bad QBs with winning records LOL 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

From my somewhat naive perspective, cost seems fine given how it's added to existing contract and assumed increases in salary cap. But what do I know?

Exactly - assuming they made no changes to this year or next year it adds up to essentially an 8 year 275 million deal or about 34+ million per season - backloaded to get through to the new TV deal - with some upfront cash.

It is a great deal over the long haul and my guess is it will look better as more details are released and it increases as the salary cap increases to allow even more flexibility (JMO).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

$10.00 per car increase in parking. $2.00 per beer increase,  $8.00 per jersey increase , Shrink the pizza slice size by 15% and we are still thrilled😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

When that new stadium gets built, you will be wishing for those types of increases as opposed to what you will likely see.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

its the #1 stat for a qb they are the leaders of the team some guys find a way and some dont.

i am sure you can name off all these great QB's that have loosing records and all these bad QBs with winning records LOL 

Wins are not a QB stat.

The 2000 Ravens went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB. 
The 2002 Buccaneers went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson at QB.
The 1985 Bears went 15-1 and won the Super Bowl with Jim McMahon at QB.

Surely Dilfer and Johnson must be great QBs, and McMahon must be the greatest of all time, right?

Football is a team game. There are 22 starters and 53 players in all on an NFL roster. 

Wins are not a QB stat.

Now if you want to talk about QBR, QB rating, Completion percentage, touchdowns, turnovers, ANy/A, etc...have at it. But wins? Not a QB stat. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember watching Josh’s first game of the 2016 season at Wyoming against Nebraska and telling my mom, holy **** this kid has an elite NFL arm.  I have followed his career intensely since then, defended him against all the haters externally and even internally.  It’s great to see Buffalo embrace this kid and now he’s yours for probably the rest of the decade and hopefully his entire career!  Congrats to Josh, Buffalo, and us fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The details, explained:

2021 highway robbery

2022 still a steal

2023 ouch, but worth it

2024 not a bad value

2025 good value

2026 great value

2027 Josh really helping his team here

2028 Why yes, we do have room for all the great free agents.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

More specifics here:

The bolded has got to be a typo in the article.  He can't be getting paid that it 2022.

Anyone have an explanation.

EDIT:  The Option Bonus is a 5 year length so it's an $8M hit in 2022,

1. 2021 signing bonus: $16.5 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

2. 2021 base salary: $920,000, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. 2021 roster bonus: $2.6 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. 2022 option bonus: $42.4 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

5. 2022 base salary: $4.1 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

6. 2023 base salary: $27.5 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

7. 2024 million roster bonus: $6 million, which becomes fully guaranteed five days after signing.

Edited by ColoradoBills

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The bolded has got to be a typo in the article.  He can't be getting paid that it 2022.

Anyone have an explanation.

1. 2021 signing bonus: $16.5 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

2. 2021 base salary: $920,000, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. 2021 roster bonus: $2.6 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. 2022 option bonus: $42.4 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

5. 2022 base salary: $4.1 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

6. 2023 base salary: $27.5 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

7. 2024 million roster bonus: $6 million, which becomes fully guaranteed five days after signing.

I don’t think it is a typo - as a option bonus - it is essentially a signing bonus - so that will get spread out over the last 6 years.  It looks to me like his 20+ million 5th year option next year actually drops to 4.1 million + 8 million for the option bonus + 3 million for the singing bonus - so most likely a savings of 5-10 million next year.

He is a bit more this year, but less next year giving the Bills more savings next year when they are tight.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think it is a typo - as a option bonus - it is essentially a signing bonus - so that will get spread out over the last 6 years.  It looks to me like his 20+ million 5th year option next year actually drops to 4.1 million + 8 million for the option bonus + 3 million for the singing bonus - so most likely a savings of 5-10 million next year.

I just seen that.  It's over 5 years.  I already edited my post.

That savings you are mentioning is what I was trying to figure out.

That's a perfect deal!

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

I'm gonna give this a pass, as I see English may not be your first, second, or third language. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Mina Kimes knows her stuff.  

She’s been really high on Josh Allen and praised the extension. 

Also pointed out that the margin of error is now lessened in regards to roster building.  

Stated we need to hit at a better rate on draft picks….  Didn’t say Beane has struggled drafting per se, but specifically called out guys like Oliver, Ford, Epenesa and Singletary as the type of draft picks that now need to step up.   

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I just seen that.  It's over 5 years.  I already edited my post.

That savings you are mentioning is what I was trying to figure out.

That's a perfect deal!

I also love the way his salary goes up and then drops the next year and then up and down - that should allow you to be able to sign 1-2 guys with a similar structure on the off years - it sets up a potential Edmunds extension and maybe a Diggs extension with their salary structure mirror Allen’s on the opposite years.  

Nice work by Beane and Allen on this.  Absolutely Huge!!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, wjag said:

So what does that mean for next year, cap wise when trying to sign Diggs and whoever else will want to get paid?

Not worried about the right now. If the Bills lift Lombardi in Los Angeles in 2022, lets deal it with it then...

Until then...ALL IN AND LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

4 hours ago, wjag said:

I hope they do.  The quickest way to ruin is to overpay your QB to the detriment of the other 52 guys wanting to get paid too.

Depends on the personalities involved.  If the QB is a real jerk then that could be a problem, but Allen seems to have a good relationship with all his teammates.  And everyone in football knows that QBs get insane money.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Stated we need to hit at a better rate on draft picks….  Didn’t say Beane has struggled drafting per se, but specifically called out guys like Oliver, Ford, Epenesa and Singletary as the type of draft picks that now need to step up.   

Everyone struggles at drafting. The only teams that have done somewhat consistently well are the Ravens cause Ozzie has a ridiculous eye for talent and the niners have been good the past two decades 

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I also love the way his salary goes up and then drops the next year and then up and down - that should allow you to be able to sign 1-2 guys with a similar structure on the off years - it sets up a potential Edmunds extension and maybe a Diggs extension with their salary structure mirror Allen’s on the opposite years.  

Nice work by Beane and Allen on this.  Absolutely Huge!!

I totally agree.  It looks like Josh and his agent let Beane work things best for the team.

Also gives Beane time to see what that 2023 Cap numbers will be and adjust accordingly.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, wjag said:

So what does that mean for next year, cap wise when trying to sign Diggs and whoever else will want to get paid?

Looks like based upon the reported structure - they have an additional 5-10 million available next year and a way to structure a Diggs (or Edmunds) extension (or other FAs) to hit big in years opposite Josh’s big years - well thought out and planned by Beane.

32 minutes ago, Logic said:

Wins are not a QB stat.

The 2000 Ravens went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB. 
The 2002 Buccaneers went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl with Brad Johnson at QB.
The 1985 Bears went 15-1 and won the Super Bowl with Jim McMahon at QB.

Surely Dilfer and Johnson must be great QBs, and McMahon must be the greatest of all time, right?

Football is a team game. There are 22 starters and 53 players in all on an NFL roster. 

Wins are not a QB stat.

Now if you want to talk about QBR, QB rating, Completion percentage, touchdowns, turnovers, ANy/A, etc...have at it. But wins? Not a QB stat. 

The Logic, I think it may be Wasted here

Just a hunch....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

McBeane hit home runs in drafting early on, but it's been a while since they drafted anyone who deserves a massive extension like Allen, Diggs, White, Dawkins, and (soon) Edmunds.  It might make it easier budget-wise not to have to pay Oliver that much, but I'd much prefer to have Oliver becoming so dominant that Beane has to do more juggling magic to find the dollars to extend him too.

• Agree 1