Bills sign Matt Milano to 4 yr, 44 mill deal with 24 mill gtd

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Jumping in here really late but this is yet another example of why I always leave the GM work ...to the actual GM!! All of this contract and cap stuff is way more complicated than anyone on this message board will ever know. That doesn’t mean the Milano deal is a good or bad one but it does mean that Beane isn’t making these moves one at a time or in a vacuum. He’s got a ton of moving pieces he’s got to take care of. I’m going to let him do his job and see how the ENTIRE puzzle fits together following both free agency and the draft. 

I tend to agree with all you said especially the bolded.  I will add that this year is unique and some GMs will be putting some hope in landing a couple of

good players on short/cheaper deals.  I'm willing to bet this is an option in Beane's mind.

After the initial rush of FA players signed I like Beane's/Bills odds of picking up a couple of these players.

It's a risk but I believe Buffalo is becoming a "destination" spot.

I'm old enough to have patience and wait to see what the end result is after the draft!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is sorta' like the guy in this thread saying "the average player misses 2 games every year" for comparison and not noting that the average player makes $3M per year(not $11M) and that the median salary in the league is less than $1M.

Hold on real quick... let me go back and see all the players making $11M or more and whether or not it has any correlation to injuries... salary isn’t relevant when it comes to playing often or missing time... a higher or lower salary doesn’t make you more or less healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they've reached the stage with this defense where they need to be able to mix things up more.

They are less multiple now than they were in 2017..........they are basically a 4-2-5 only operation.........I'd personally like to see them be able to mix it up and not have to justify having an undersized WLB on the field every down would have been a chance to mix things up more.

I know people point to the points scored in games where Milano wasn't on the field..........but AJ Klein was also the DPOW twice in that span and he made more big plays than Milano so it wasn't just a given that the defense as a whole would get worse without MM and with Klein and a rookie 5th rounder type.

The question really is where are they going to cut corners..........or are they going to just start playing it like this is their window like teams with veteran QB's do.   Something will have to give, most likely. 

They were 100% more predictable in 2020. I think in part it was down to the struggles up front and, consequently, on first down. I don't have the numbers but I would hazard a guess we were a bottom 5 or 6 defense on first down in 2020. That forced them into being a bit more vanilla, but I agree also they need to be capable of mixing it up more and adding wrinkles to their scheme. They can't just trot out there to play Kansas City next year and say "well this is our defense." It isn't just the points when Milano isn't out there... the yards per pass play shot up and again if someone has the link to the Sal C article that number is staggering for a single player difference in the NFL. As for whether this is a window... well it is the last two year of Josh being on a rookie cap hit. I expect they will extend Josh in the summer but they will keep the 2021 and 2022 hits similar to what they are on his rookie deal. After 2022 the bills could move on from Milano for $3.5m dead cap. So I think this is a move they made acknowledging that once you get beyond the 5th year the Quarterback salary becomes trickier to manage. 

I am surprised they re-signed him. Personally, I'm not sure I would have done, and I loved Milano from the moment they picked him - but I do think the deal is a good one that works for both parties. I know you wouldn't have resigned him. I actually thought that before I saw you post in this thread. Your view of how you would build your roster and who you would pay is pretty well known. I don't think Matt was a "must sign" guy but I understand where they have come to. We have agreed before this is the point where the decisions get tougher for Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott. Being competitive for a 2-3 year run in the NFL is not special. Being competitive for a 8-10 year run is much harder. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty front loaded, interesting decision.  It’s similar to what they have been doing a lot, going for early outs and eating the cap hit up front.  A little surprised they went that route given the current cap situation.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Pretty front loaded, interesting decision.  It’s similar to what they have been doing a lot, going for early outs and eating the cap hit up front.  A little surprised they went that route given the current cap situation.

It comes to $9M average for the 1st 2 years and $11.75 for the last 2 years?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Front loaded? 

What numbers are you looking at? This contract is slightly BACK loaded, actually. It progresses annually in a graduated fashion. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

But what is a more valuable need? 

A dominant edge rusher who can disrupt the LOS and QB and essentially blow up a game.... or a good OLB? 

The answer is easy for me.... Let's see if Beane can do both. 

The answer is both as you stated, 👍

18 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

How does this prevent extending Allen?

With all the positional needs we have, the salary cap was already tight. Now that Milano takes a big bite out of the salary cap, will there be enough left to cover another major contract (Allen) plus free agent signings and the draft class.

2 minutes ago, boater said:

With all the positional needs we have, the salary cap was already tight. Now that Milano takes a big bite out of the salary cap, will there be enough left to cover another major contract (Allen) plus free agent signings and the draft class.

We locked down some of our best players. We’ve got people who have been restructuring to keep it running. These guys are getting paid and are doing what is best for everyone. MM and the Williams deals are amazing for all parties and we can still get some free agents to shore up the pass rush and DL.

Trust the process. Trust the wizard.

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It comes to $9M average for the 1st 2 years and $11.75 for the last 2 years?

14 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Front loaded? 

What numbers are you looking at? This contract is slightly BACK loaded, actually. It progresses annually in a graduated fashion. 

It’s all about the cap hit and dead cap potential, they loaded the cap hit into the front part of the deal by guaranteeing salary for 21 and 22, paid a reasonable signing bonus to him, basically this is in effect a 2 year deal for the Bills, there’s nothing guaranteed in the last 2 seasons.  That is by definition, front loaded.  Nobody cares about the years he will never see if injuries become a real issue.  He’s here for 2 years, after that, ball is in the Bills court. As a post June 1 cut he’s dead cap of 1.75M as of 2024 and 2025

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

8M cap hit in 21 for a close to elite LB is incredibly good business.

49 minutes ago, boater said:

Allen's contract extension will hit the next cap. His base will remain the same. They'll work it so his cap hit won't rise above what it is, but he'll still be able to pocket 10-15M in signing bonus, plus get about 35-40M a year for 6-8 years.

18 hours ago, noacls said:

Bills numbers against TE in 2020 including playoffs:

Targets: 178

Catches: 123

Yards: 1275

APC: 10.37

TD: 11

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion. LOL

Looks like you are the one that's clueless. 

You have presented no facts that support your opinion.  You posted a video of Milano missing a tackle, as if every player in any NFL history has not missed tackles.  What exactly was that supposed to prove?  I have watched him for four years.  The guy makes plays, much more often than not.  

Your stats above indicate the Bills defense was vulnerable to tight ends.  What a revelation, as if we all did not know that already.  You suppose that is due to Milano?  How so?  The Bills play a base zone coverage scheme.  What percentage of this plays was Milano specifically targeted, or even in the field? Do you somehow suppose he was the culprit in all those completions?  This is, to put it politely, a ridiculous use of statistics, showing no understanding of the game behind them.

Finally, your rant in multiple posts seemed to indicate that by “over paying” Milano the Bills would have to forego signing Williams who you deemed more important.  Guess what- not true.

the Bills are a better team when Milano in playing and virtually everyone understands that, except you apparently.  

Yes, you are clueless.   

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, mbs said:

I mean say he gets 7 this year with a significant bonus  if he starts 12 games (or some corresponding number of snaps or tackles). Since he started 11? last year, that bonus is "not likely to be earned" and thus would be accounted for in the next season when they presumably have much more money. That way they can add more ramp-up to his year over year which I think is otherwise limited. (LIke you can't pay min one year 20 mill the next.)

I was on the fence about him at 11m (11-12 happy whatever they did) but this deal looks really good to me regardless of the bonus structure.

11/16=69%  They shifted a half million to next year.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Need an upgrade at OG - maybe 2

I hate drafting OGs in rd 1 but your boy Wyatt Davis could be just what our OL needs.  

dream scenario for me is trading down twice and out of rd 1, giving us 2 picks in rd 2 and 2 (or 3) picks in rd 3.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hate drafting OGs in rd 1 but your boy Wyatt Davis could be just what our OL needs.  

dream scenario for me is trading down twice and out of rd 1, giving us 2 picks in rd 2 and 2 (or 3) picks in rd 3.  

Trading out of the first and getting 2 second round picks is my ideal! 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

GM's must have a VERY good idea that the cap is going to explode over the next 3 years...some have said it could approach or possibly even exceed $300 million in 5 years...

Someone speculated on this with Jerry Jones having no issue signing Prescott to that huge contract because in a few years that will be a bargain for QBs based on the cap going up so much.

When that happens expect a lot of holdouts from players who feel they are being underpaid even if they restructured getting the money up front.