Colts Running Game could limit Bills offense

2 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bass doesn't go wide right from 47 yards out

That Giants SB25 D sold all out to stop the pass.  And they did because we were stubborn enough to play right into it.  Recall TT had a ton of yards and that was all we had to do.  Run EVERY down

Yup.  Should have been draw play after draw play until they respected it.

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

How does your last paragraph point change if both Diggs and Beasley are out, which is looking like an actual possibility?  

I would be extremely concerned if Stefon Diggs does not play.  I think we would be OK without Cole Beasley.

However, reports are that both guys practiced yesterday.  And Diggs has stated that he 100% will play on Saturday.

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ok, I know we (and I) are all pumped to wipe these guys out tomorrow, but since Indy

-- has perhaps the best Oline Bills have seen in a while  (just as the Giants did in SB 25), 

-- a limited QB (just as the Giants did with Hostetler) 

-- has solid , big, ground and pound productive RBs (just like NYG with Ottis Anderson)

-- a playcaller who was there on the sidelines for SB25

Won't Reich just  play ugly ball, run the ball 40+ times behind that O line, throw short quick passes (they do this anyway) and thereby limit the Bills to 8 or 9 possessions in the game, just as Parcells did in SB 25?   Bills play 90%+ 5 dbs and a fairly lightweight front 6 , discouraging the pass (successfully) and demanding that the opposition run the ball? 

I mean you can't score if you don't have the ball-- this is what happened in SB25.   Game ended up being way closer than it should have been, as the Giants had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   In the absence of Star, Quinton Nelson will absolutely maul any of the Bills D lineman.  

Sorry, I guess I am too old and remember how the Giants kept that game so close.   For sure, if Bruce just gets Hostetler to drop that ball in the end zone the game tide shifts, but in the absence of turnovers and ST magic, I can see the Colts making this game slow, ugly and close.   What say you?   The comparisons of the what the Giants did and what the Colts potentially have the tools to do to slow down a high flying offensive team seem a little too tight for comfort.  

Go Bills!  

you think the game will play out where the Colts can run 40 times?

21 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I would be extremely concerned if Stefon Diggs does not play.  I think we would be OK without Cole Beasley.

However, reports are that both guys practiced yesterday.  And Diggs has stated that he 100% will play on Saturday.

Diggs is playing.  McD smokescreen 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The Colts are coming off 6 bad quarters of football and just barely beat the worst team in the league.  If not for the Bills knocking the ever-loving snot out of the Dols, they would have missed the playoffs.  While they should in no way be taken lightly, I think this was the best first round matchup the Bills could have asked for and I expect a win.

But but but what about the Bills losing to the Chiefs in the 1966 AFL Championship game?

They had an Otis on their team too!

• Haha (+1) 1

I think this narrative is flawed.  The running team still needs to score more than the passing team.

If the Bills would normally have 10 possessions and they are held to 6, the Colts would also have about 6 possessions.  If the Bills score TDs on 3 then the Colts need to score on 4.  It becomes a lower scoring game but the mat still works in the Bills favor.

What does make a difference is the Colts defense.  If they can get a few turnovers and hold the Bills to FGs, then their offense may be able to carry the day.

16 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ok, ok everyone, I am convinced.   Colts are toast. 

Funny.  Here in Indy they feel like this is in the bag for them.  Taylor will carry them to victory.  Bills run defense  better be stout and unyeilding.  

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Funny.  Here in Indy they feel like this is in the bag for them.  Taylor will carry them to victory.  Bills run defense  better be stout and unyeilding.  

When i was looking on their boards they were saying they were going to get blown out?  That their defense couldnt stop allen - especially the secondary.

10 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Ok, I know we (and I) are all pumped to wipe these guys out tomorrow, but since Indy

-- has perhaps the best Oline Bills have seen in a while  (just as the Giants did in SB 25), 

-- has solid , big, ground and pound productive RBs (just like NYG with Ottis Anderson)

Won't Reich just  play ugly ball, run the ball 40+ times behind that O line, throw short quick passes (they do this anyway) and thereby limit the Bills to 8 or 9 possessions in the game, just as Parcells did in SB 25?   Bills play 90%+ 5 dbs and a fairly lightweight front 6 , discouraging the pass (successfully) and demanding that the opposition run the ball? 

I mean you can't score if you don't have the ball-- this is what happened in SB25.   Game ended up being way closer than it should have been, as the Giants had the ball for 2/3 of the game.   In the absence of Star, Quinton Nelson will absolutely maul any of the Bills D lineman.  

Sorry, I guess I am too old and remember how the Giants kept that game so close.   For sure, if Bruce just gets Hostetler to drop that ball in the end zone the game tide shifts, but in the absence of turnovers and ST magic, I can see the Colts making this game slow, ugly and close.   What say you?   The comparisons of the what the Giants did and what the Colts potentially have the tools to do to slow down a high flying offensive team seem a little too tight for comfort.  

Go Bills!  

Change ur name to Trocess Pruster maybe?  But seriously that only works if were sloppy with turnovers, which we havent been, and if we cant compensate with our own forced turnovers, and were 3rd in the league in takeaways.  Deep breath and relax. TRUST THE PROCESS!

In the back of Reich's mind will always be the lesson he learned from 2 games. 

1. Super bowl 25.  The Giants ran the ball and kept it away from our O.  

2. The Comeback Game.  Anyone looking back on that game or if you were to watch it again, aside from saying how ridiculous Reed and Reich were that day, you have to ask how in the heck does Houston just stop running the ball and milking clock?

I want the Bills to put 7 and 8 guys up all day daring them to beat us with Trey Burton and Hilton.  They'll try and use Pittman thinking they got an advantage over there on us but I'll take my chances. 

And guarantee the Colts front has preached all week their front is going to try and dictate their will on us.  

D-line better be freaking ready.  And the LBs

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

When i was looking on their boards they were saying they were going to get blown out?  That their defense couldnt stop allen - especially the secondary.

I live here and that is not what people are saying on the radio or television.  

36 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

What happens when they're (Colts) down 24 -7 in the 2nd qtr? 

The is optimistic out look is appreciated.  

8 hours ago, Doc said:

The Colts are coming off 6 bad quarters of football and just barely beat the worst team in the league.  If not for the Bills knocking the ever-loving snot out of the Dols, they would have missed the playoffs.  While they should in no way be taken lightly, I think this was the best first round matchup the Bills could have asked for and I expect a win.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. After the game I was amped it would be Indy, just because they don’t do anything scary....but they do do just about everything well. 

as we get closer to kick off nerves go up, and right now I am not sure I want any part of any AFC playoff team at the moment. 

I think Buffalo is going to open it up and I expect to see lots of 4 - 5 Receiver sets throughout the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw the ball 80% of the game.   Just hammer at their weakness with all sort of looks and stay away from their strength their run defense.   

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think Buffalo is going to open it up and I expect to see lots of 4 - 5 Receiver sets throughout the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw the ball 80% of the game.   Just hammer at their weakness with all sort of looks and stay away from their strength their run defense.   

I imagine a lot of 4-5 WR sets, and the possibility of everything running through Josh. Something like the first Jets game or the Chargers game. If Josh has to drop 300+ and rush 10-12 times, so be it. 

50 minutes ago, Mango said:

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. After the game I was amped it would be Indy, just because they don’t do anything scary....but they do do just about everything well. 

as we get closer to kick off nerves go up, and right now I am not sure I want any part of any AFC playoff team at the moment. 

They're 31st against passes of 20 or more yards. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Bass doesn't go wide right from 47 yards out

That Giants SB25 D sold all out to stop the pass.  And they did because we were stubborn enough to play right into it.  Recall TT had a ton of yards and that was all we had to do.  Run EVERY down

He averaged 9 yards a carry and only got 15 touches. Kelly wasn’t the sharpest  tool in the shed. If they would have kept feeding Thurman they would have had to change the D. Levy was a failure in leadership...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

i am the exact same. I think at this point, the one team I wouldn’t be fearing as much would be the browns, but only because they are so covid-ravaged. 

I wanted Indy, and now am worried about them! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

Colts will be expecting a passing game like Miami did. and we will do it anyways.

Colts running game might be our Defenses Achilles

But i have confidence that Colts will be forced to pace Bills offense and be forced into the pass game

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Colts running game might be our Defenses Achilles

But i have confidence that Colts will be forced to pace Bills offense and be forced into the pass game

Load the box and make Rivers beat you.  He'll fold while the offense will rack up the points.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Change ur name to Trocess Pruster maybe?  But seriously that only works if were sloppy with turnovers, which we havent been, and if we cant compensate with our own forced turnovers, and were 3rd in the league in takeaways.  Deep breath and relax. TRUST THE PROCESS!

Hmm... probably right.   But 6 pages of replies don't lie... folks thinkin on this one. 

I do trust the process, and hey, as predicted, the wins are now just plain happening because of it.  But each game is new, the situation is fresh , the players are different.   Who knows what the final score will be from game to game.  

In any event, go Bills!  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Load the box and make Rivers beat you.  He'll fold while the offense will rack up the points.

He is going to be tougher to beat  with the McFrazier type of secondary that offers up some confusing looks and mixed messaging :)
 But Bills need to pressure Phil with the 4 man, and this Colts Line is pretty good in both Run blocking ! and pass pro.

I expect Bills to outsmart Rivers though by the second half

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Great equalizers in the playoffs are good offensive lines, vet QBs and solid defensive coaching.  Better be ready for a battle tomorrow.

you mean Barkley and Rivers of course LOL

Josh is the young whippersnapper riling all the old folks up 

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

Colts fans see our run D as a huge flaw. While not perfect it’s improved significantly. Like Henry Bills can focus and limit run game. Colts are 2nd best team for scoring on opening drive. If we can manage their run game and eliminate points on opening drive we should be good. Bills early jitters could make it close at half. But agree control Taylor force 3rd and long. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Go Bills!  

8 or 9 possession is still 56 - 63 points. 😉

Even if they run the ball effectively, they still have to stop the Bills offense. The Bills punt 2.6 times per game. 

Edited by jeremy2020