Pegulas openly championing Leslie Frazier for HC openings

JÂy RÛßeÒ

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/14/monday-afternoon-quarterback-revisiting-stefon-diggs-trade

While we’re on the Bills, one thing I’ve heard strongly is that coaches and scouts in the organization are championing the cause of defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier for head coaching jobs in the 2021 cycle.

It's very possible we lose both coordinators to head coaching opportunities after the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

I'd be surprised of Leslie gets another shot. 61 year old, defensive minded, low key personality, below .500 retreads are not generally popular hires. 

And I am a big Frazier fan. Just don't see him as an attractive HC candidate. Indianapolis when McDaniels pulled out and it was he or Reich was his last shot IMO.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

First, they had something of a mole. Beane’s college scouting director, Terrance Gray, was an area scout for the Vikings when Diggs was drafted and through his first couple years in the league, which gave Buffalo a pipeline into how the receiver was viewed inside the Vikings’ facility.

This is how Bills seem to get their players for better or for worse.

Worse: Zay Jones was picked on recommendation from new WR coach who was his college WR coach.  WR coach canned after one year.

Great: Bills had hired LB coach Bobby Babich who saw Jordan Poyer as a player with untapped potential.  Jordan has signed 2nd contract.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Worse: Zay Jones was picked on recommendation from new WR coach who was his college WR coach.  WR coach canned after one year.

Great: Bills had hired LB coach Bobby Babich who saw Jordan Poyer as a player with untapped potential.  Jordan has signed 2nd contract.

Feliciano was a recommendation from Bobby Johnson too who worked with him in Oakland.

• Like (+1) 2

Frazier is old and has a terrible head coaching record.  I doubt there will be much interest.  Even if you were a franchise that wanted to hire an African American coach, you would go young and offensive minded like a Bineiemy from KC or Elliot from Clemson. If you wanted to go defense you would go with Saleh. 

The only old guys that should get hired in the NFL are guys who have proven winning records like a Rivera or McCarthy who have taken teams to the Super Bowl.  And even they aren't in their 60's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be surprised of Leslie gets another shot. 61 year old, defensive minded, low key personality, below .500 retreads are not generally popular hires. 

And I am a big Frazier fan. Just don't see him as an attractive HC candidate. Indianapolis when McDaniels pulled out and it was he or Reich was his last shot IMO.

I feel like Frazier may be a Dick LeBeau type. Great DC, subpar HC.  Although, being a HC in Minny is somewhat difficult.  I could see Frazier in Jaxonville or something.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Good for Frazier.   Since I think McDermott controls the defense, I won't worry about losing Frazier.   

he is still a very good mentor to the players as well as acting dc. if he is to venture out and they lose him he can be replaced but he quietly kept the players attention to detail I believe. daboll doesn't seem to hit me as leaving anytime soon. good couple more seasons out of him as he seems pretty settled in at his native wnys home and may not be too anxious to seek outside ventures just yet?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

I think Daboll is getting a lot of love nationally. I would be shocked if he is our OC in 2021.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

he is still a very good mentor to the players as well as acting dc. if he is to venture out and they lose him he can be replaced but he quietly kept the players attention to detail I believe. daboll doesn't seem to hit me as leaving anytime soon. good couple more seasons out of him as he seems pretty settled in at his native wnys home and may not be too anxious to seek outside ventures just yet?

I hope you are right about BD.  I sorta think you are but who knows when the big $$$ start flying around?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I think Daboll is getting a lot of love nationally. I would be shocked if he is our OC in 2021.

I totally agree with the fact he is getting a lot of love, but like Bienemay last year, I think teams will want to see another year of top level offensive production from his unit.  

37 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There aren't many 60+ year old coaches getting a 2nd chance years after they got fired from their 1st head coaching job.  I doubt Frazier would be anything but a Rooney Rule interview.

I agree, there's no way Leslie is getting a HC job anywhere. Daboll will be gone.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It’s called networking and EVERY team does his.  All the players, coaches, and scouts  are in the college and pro football fraternity in a sense.  

The good GMs listen the right people more often than the average and poor GMs.  

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I totally agree with the fact he is getting a lot of love, but like Bienemay last year, I think teams will want to see another year of top level offensive production from his unit.  

totally different situation. Bienemays HC is the quarterback whisperer. Daboll has been running the whole show on offense. 

Edited by Charles Romes

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well I heard he was recently in close proximity with Sean McVay and brushed past Cliff Kingsbury in a crowded restaurant.  I have it on good authority that they almost rubbed fronts but slid by ass to ass at the last second.  That might be enough to get Frazier another shot.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Bienemay has Reid calling the plays. The media can say all they want but if you watch the Chiefs games you see who is calling the plays.  Reid calls them and Mahomes brilliantly orchestrates them and makes the adjustments.  Daboll is the one calling the Bills plays. There is a big difference.

I think Bienemay is heading to Houston anyway, but Daboll is more coveted at this point because he doesn't have a genius like Reid calling the plays.

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree.

He probably will get interviews, but he had his chance at being a head coach and it didn't go that well. I don't see him getting that many calls to be the man in charge again.

I think it is the sign of a healthy organization that owners / management champion for their people. Put yourself in an organization like that. How awesome would it be if someone took that level of interest you as a person, not just as a cog in increasing the bottom line? It's amazing, and I'm proud to be a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Stefanski? He is a Head Coach. Keith Butler won't get interviews I don't think.

Just now, FUTURIST said:

Bienemay has Reid calling the plays. The media can say all they want but if you watch the Chiefs games you see who is calling the plays.  Reid calls them and Mahomes brilliants orchestrates them and makes the adjustments.  Daboll is the one calling the Bills plays. There is a big difference.

I think Bienemay is heading to Houston anyway, but Daboll is more coveted at this point because he doesn't have a genius like Reid calling the plays.

that's interesting.  If Reid is calling the plays, then I don't get the Bienemay love.  What exactly is he doing?   I'm not overly worried about Daboll leaving if it happens, Dorsey can take his place and good teams lose coordinators often.  

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Well I heard he was recently in close proximity with Sean McVay and brushed past Cliff Kingsbury in a crowded restaurant.  I have it on good authority that they almost rubbed fronts but slid by ass to ass at the last second.  That might be enough to get Frazier another shot.  

I mean I'd definitely go for the ass to ass slide with McVay. I'd love him to show me his stretch zone.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Stefanski? He is a Head Coach. Keith Butler won't get interviews I don't think.

yeah, don't know why i put him in that list :)

Butler should get interviews. Anyone know why he is never mentioned.  In the year of the offense in the NFL, the Steelers D has done a great job, esp. with all the injuries.  Even when we were humming on offense, the D was still clicking, our offense is just better.  

I think Ken Dorsey will be running the Bills Offense next year.  I am fine with that.  Daboll is probably headed to the Jets. He is a master with young quarterbacks and he is going to get the top young quarterback in the NFL from Clemson. I think that Chargers job is the dream job though.  A coach can come in and win the Super Bowl in year 1 with that team.

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, don't know why i put him in that list :)

Butler should get interviews. Anyone know why he is never mentioned.  In the year of the offense in the NFL, the Steelers D has done a great job, esp. with all the injuries.  Even when we were humming on offense, the D was still clicking, our offense is just better.  

Butler is similar to Frazier. Age (he's 64), defensive minded and low key personality. They just are not hires that set the pulse racing. Vic Fangio not exactly succeeding in Denver having been considered in a similar category doesn't help either. Interestingly I believe he was on the Bills' list in 2017 though they never actually got to an interview because McDermott had the Pegulas at "hello".

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1 hour ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

I wouldn't hire Leslie as a HC.  He's a nice DC but not the head guy IMO.

I tend to agree. The biggest thing is being able to develop QB talent, and defensive guys have no way of showing that. Plus, it's hard to know how much influence he has with McDermott as the head coach.

But, if we make a deep playoff run and have a great season next year, we could see someone take a shot on him. Just don't see it this year.

41 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

You know it just depends. It was a good sincere or even PR move for the Pegulas.  We have two solid Coordinators, and both could probably have a good chance at success as a HC.  Frazier’s not too old or a retread.  He had one 10-6 season of three.  Interim doesn’t matter.

His defense since being here prior to this year is top 4.  This year he’s now climbed on our defense to 15th.  My guess with the Broncos and Pats will probably make it climb higher.  He’s learned under Sean.  He might be a good head coach this time.  Remember Belichick didn’t exactly get a gold jacket from his first HC at Cleveland.  

Im happy if either of these guys get the nod, and will attract the best talent wanting to move up under McBeane.  They will have proven with one or both promotions, you come here, and adopt the Bills way (couldn’t resist), and do a good job, you can be developed for you’re big job.  Go get em Frazier and Daboll.  Confidence means we’ll get the next Daboll and Frazier. ThTs leadership which is what these guys at the top emulate.

1 hour ago, Kelsayrundefense said:

I wouldn't hire Leslie as a HC.  He's a nice DC but not the head guy IMO.

I have no clue if he would  make a good HC. Fans only see him standing on the sidelines.. so I have no idea how anyone forms an opinion like this. We've got no insight to his participation in meetings, conversations with staff/players, or how much the Bills D strategizes through him vs McDermott.

Maybe he would make a great HC. I didn't realize he wanted to be a HC tbh.