Pegulas openly championing Leslie Frazier for HC openings

JÂy RÛßeÒ

18 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cool that we have fixed the leagues worst Run Defense to get to middle of the pack in a couple weeks.  Nice.  Seems like a nice endorsement for the DL Coach, DC and others.  

Well.. I’m not going to sit here and argue with you.. Leslie Frazier will not be a HC any time soon. Should probably focus on being a good DC first..

There's more than supporting diversity in the NFL by Pegs advocating Leslie Frazier.

In terms of PR, pushing Frazier  = support the "making Buffalo a destination for coaches and players" angle

Unconditional support to players and coaches = is noticed around the league

Reputation around the league = interest from more candidates and free agents

If 2Pegs play this and other moves right, Buffalo could be a desired destination for years and years. They can pick the Creme de la Creme of coaches and players.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well.. I’m not going to sit here and argue with you.. Leslie Frazier will not be a HC any time soon. Should probably focus on being a good DC first..

He is a good DC. Okay he works under a great defensive mind in McDermott but he has been very good in Buffalo. What I love about Leslie is he isn't wedded to a scheme. He will do what works. I have heard him described as a 46 guy cos he played for Buddy, a cover 3 guy cos he was a Jim Johnson coach and a tampa 2 guy cos he worked with Dungy. There are bits of all 3 in the Bills defense. The front they played at San Fran the week before last was right out of the Buddy Ryan playbook.

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

This is how Bills seem to get their players for better or for worse.

Worse: Zay Jones was picked on recommendation from new WR coach who was his college WR coach.  WR coach canned after one year.

Great: Bills had hired LB coach Bobby Babich who saw Jordan Poyer as a player with untapped potential.  Jordan has signed 2nd contract.

This is often how people get hired/get opportunities in general, let alone in football.  It’s a life thing not a Bills thing.  

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think either of our coordinator's get taken this year.  Too many other options: Bineiemy, Butler (Steelers, DC)--who seems to get no love from the national media for a HC position, despite having a great D;  Saleh; Roman; McDaniels; Stefanski; Toub; just to name a few.  

I thought Stefanski already was a head coach. Unless there is another one of them.

All the coordinators McD & Beane have picked are top of the line people first and top NFL coordinators that have proved they are worthy of being given a shot at a better job opportunity although i would hate to see Dabo; or Frazier go i think after this season its gonna happen to at least 1 of the 2 .

I wonder if McD being smarter than Rex would tell the a new coordinator if it ain't broke don't fix it and tell them to utilize some of the schemes they have been for the familiarity of it I hope & don't think he would just let them go rogue and change the schemes completely like Rex tried to .

3 minutes ago, T master said:

All the coordinators McD & Beane have picked are top of the line people first and top NFL coordinators that have proved they are worthy of being given a shot at a better job opportunity although i would hate to see Dabo; or Frazier go i think after this season its gonna happen to at least 1 of the 2 .

I wonder if McD being smarter than Rex would tell the a new coordinator if it ain't broke don't fix it and tell them to utilize some of the schemes they have been for the familiarity of it I hope & don't think he would just let them go rogue and change the schemes completely like Rex tried to .

Hopefully Coach McD learned from his first year as head coach and defacto GM where he just dumped staff and then signed new Coaches, Coordinators and Scouts many who lasted a year.  He kept 1 coach and t

Rick Dennison - advocated starting P5t5rman

David Culley - not qualified as QB coach

Phil McGeoghan - advocate for Zay Jones who he coached at Eastern Carolina

Gill Byrd - Back coaching in college

Juan Castillo - Lasted longer than many 2 years

This shows IMO that Coach McD does not do what you wonder about.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Hopefully Coach McD learned from his first year as head coach and defacto GM where he just dumped staff and then signed new Coaches, Coordinators and Scouts many who lasted a year.  He kept 1 coach and t

Rick Dennison - advocated starting P5t5rman

David Culley - not qualified as QB coach

Phil McGeoghan - advocate for Zay Jones who he coached at Eastern Carolina

Gill Byrd - Back coaching in college

Juan Castillo - Lasted longer than many 2 years

This shows IMO that Coach McD does not do what you wonder about.

Building the first staff is the hardest part. It gets easier as you go because people see it as a stable opportunity. McDermott is safe as houses here. Come work for him and do a good job you ain't moving your family for at least a few years. Not uncommon for first time Head Coaches to move on from a few of their first hires after 1 year. Flores did it last offseason too. You can't get everyone you want some are under contract, you are not yet established etc.

41 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I wonder if their will be a trend in the coming years for a HC with good leadership/people skills to be preferred over the next great young hotshot OC/DC?

One would hope so. I have always felt leadership should be the number 1 quality teams look for. Great if they are an exceptional developer of players or Xs and Os guy or game day decision maker... but if they are not a good leader they will fail fast. You look at the guys with longevity in this league they all have that quality. Some are great Xs and Os guys some are not. Some are great player developers some are not but all are excellent leaders.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:50 AM, Kelsayrundefense said:

I wouldn't hire Leslie as a HC.  He's a nice DC but not the head guy IMO.

Kinda like Chan. Brilliant OC and play caller, but not so much as a HC. 

I still wonder if McDermott isn't calling the plays on defense in this later part of the season.

Edited by GreggTX

44 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Funny how so many people are questioning this news, ignoring the fact that white retreads like Gase and McCarthy keep getting more chances to fail.

In fairness McCarthy was a Superbowl winning Head Coach. Now we can argue about his legacy in Green Bay but that is a fact. 

I do think in general it is harder to get a 2nd shot as a black Head Coach but I just think when you take all things into account for Leslie a white guy in the same position wouldn't get hired either. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Frazier deserves another chance at HC more than many who have gotten it.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, FUTURIST said:

Really? Name one. Black head coaches can be just as bad as white head coaches.  There is no discrimination when it comes to bad head coaches.

I am not saying that Frazier deserves another opportunity and I don't think he even wants to be HC but really?   You can't name one?

Are we forgetting Adam Gase already?  If we just consider NY/NJ related coaches, how about Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, and Pat Shumur?  

Edited by Billy Claude

I think people underestimate how good a coach Leslie is.   He's a very, very good DC and similarly good human being. I really enjoy his listening to his interviews.  While I agree that he's not likely to get another shot as HC though for the reasons listed by GunnerBill, It would hurt to lose him more than people think.  He's a strong contributor to our locker room character.

IIRC, didn't McDermitt get hired late enough that most of his staff hires was from the leftovers?  I seem to recall reading articles that his first choices had all been hired elsewhere and he had to settle for assistants more than he wanted.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

I think people underestimate how good a coach Leslie is.   He's a very, very good DC and similarly good human being. I really enjoy his listening to his interviews.  While I agree that he's not likely to get another shot as HC though for the reasons listed by GunnerBill, It would hurt to lose him more than people think.  He's a strong contributor to our locker room character.

IIRC, didn't McDermitt get hired late enough that most of his staff hires was from the leftovers?  I seem to recall reading articles that his first choices had all been hired elsewhere and he had to settle for assistants more than he wanted.

I don't know where Frazier was on the list but it was widely reported that Dennison was his third choice for OC with Mike McCoy being his top choice.

Edited by Billy Claude

5 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I don't know where Frazier was on the list but it was widely reported that Dennison was his third choice for OC.

Frazier was his first choice I believe. I think he was his second hire after Juan Castillo who was his very first hire as OL / Run Game Coordinator. If I remember right for OC his first choice was Mike McCoy (who has been fired after less than a season by two teams since then) and his second choice was Brad Childress who decided to take a half promotion to Assistant Head Coach and stay in KC.

50 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I am not saying that Frazier deserves another opportunity and I don't think he even wants to be HC but really?   You can't name one?

Are we forgetting Adam Gase already?  If we just consider NY/NJ related coaches, how about Dick Jauron, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, and Pat Shumur?  

Mularkey and Shurmer especially. I can see why Marrone got a 2nd crack and to an extent Dickie J and Rex as well. But Mularkey and Shurmer made no sense to me.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Frazier was his first choice I believe. I think he was his second hire after Juan Castillo who was his very first hire as OL / Run Game Coordinator. If I remember right for OC his first choice was Mike McCoy (who has been fired after less than a season by two teams since then) and his second choice was Brad Childress who decided to take a half promotion to Assistant Head Coach and stay in KC.

Mularkey and Shurmer especially. I can see why Marrone got a 2nd crack and to an extent Dickie J and Rex as well. But Mularkey and Shurmer made no sense to me.

The Gase and Mularkey hires were a complete shock to me.   Gase for some reason has great relations with the owners and almost no-one else.

39 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

The Gase and Mularkey hires were a complete shock to me.   Gase for some reason has great relations with the owners and almost no-one else.

Yea I wouldn't have hired Gase in Miami. Let alone in New York. Never thought he came across as a Head Coach.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness McCarthy was a Superbowl winning Head Coach. Now we can argue about his legacy in Green Bay but that is a fact. 

I do think in general it is harder to get a 2nd shot as a black Head Coach but I just think when you take all things into account for Leslie a white guy in the same position wouldn't get hired either. 

A long time ago. My stance on him is fair or not, by the end of his time in GB he was actively making himself look foolish and well past his sell by date. Rodgers resurgence under LaFleur only underscores my view. And yet MM gets a chance to coach a very popular NFL franchise with one of the best young QBs in the game? Yeah nah. MM is trash.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

A long time ago. My stance on him is fair or not, by the end of his time in GB he was actively making himself look foolish and well past his sell by date. Rodgers resurgence under LaFleur only underscores my view. And yet MM gets a chance to coach a very popular NFL franchise with one of the best young QBs in the game? Yeah nah. MM is trash.

I agree he is not good. But it is hard to get angry about a guy who has a ring getting a 2nd shot.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2020 at 12:24 PM, TBBills said:

Not worried about him McDermott is the brains of the defense.

Even more reason to not be upset if he does get a HC position. Id gladly send him out for the 3rd rounder. You just know whoever the DC is on a McD staff, is taking alit of direct orders voluntarily/involuntarily from coach.  I think we can get really good DC'ing out of most decent applicants, that's our specialty.

I would hate to see Frazier leave, he is a good DC, his play calling can sometimes be head scratching but that is his only real weakness. I think where he excels is in practice, his ability to develop the Secondary,  LB's and to some extent DL. What he is teaching these young players and even FA pickups is sinking in and sticking. We are beginning to get a reputation of when you come to Buffalo you will improve as a player and a person. That is a big credit to our coaching staff, I believe that great HC's are very good at delegating tasks to their OC's and DC's and trusting in them to complete the tasks. Frazier and Daboll make McD's job so much easier, we are lucky to have this current coaching staff and I hope they stay together because the future of this team is blinding bright. 

By the way, is Frazier aware of this.... 😆

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm I think in this era with Rooney rule and the whole crazy draft choice thing it should be easier for LF then say Dennis Allen in NO. Just not sure LF has the splash appeal of other candidates who are younger regardless of race. So think it’s more that than his race. 

5 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hmm I think in this era with Rooney rule and the whole crazy draft choice thing it should be easier for LF then say Dennis Allen in NO. Just not sure LF has the splash appeal of other candidates who are younger regardless of race. So think it’s more that than his race. 

I think Dennis Allen will get interviews this year. 

But to be clear I have never argued it is about race with Leslie. It is about being a 61 year old, defensive, retread with an under .500 career HC record and a low key personality. Not sure how you sell him to a fanbase. 

My point about race is that overall think it probably has been slightly harder for black retreads. Someone like Todd Bowles will be an interesting case study. If he keeps the Tampa defense balling another year or two does he get another look? 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Dennis Allen will get interviews this year. 

But to be clear I have never argued it is about race with Leslie. It is about being a 61 year old, defensive, retread with an under .500 career HC record and a low key personality. Not sure how you sell him to a fanbase. 

My point about race is that overall think it probably has been slightly harder for black retreads. Someone like Todd Bowles will be an interesting case study. If he keeps the Tampa defense balling another year or two does he get another look? 

Yes, I absolutely agree -- other factors play a  much larger role in him not getting another HC opportunity.  His record with the Vikings was worse than I thought (.400)  although it was impressive that he got into playoffs with Christian Ponder as his QB even if he had prime Adrian Peterson.

He also doesn't give the impression he is that interested in being a head coach.  If he wanted it out there that he was looking he wouldn't have turned down a Rooney interview last year.