What will be the game plan???

Billsfan1972

Yep I repeat it over & over that the Bills need to ascert themselves on offense and always am concerned at how this coaching staff approaches games vs. top teams with top defenses in less then perfect weather.

So the forecast is fine & hope the Bills come out like they did vs.SF/Seattle.....

My biggest disappointments were their game plan vs. NE & KC, where they let the opponent and "elements" dictate their offense.

It should be the Steelers worried about containing the Bills offense and keeping them off the field, not vice-versa.

The Bills put up 27+ & they will win.   

Ram it down the Steelers throats!!!!!😆  

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep I repeat it over & over that the Bills need to ascert themselves on offense and always am concerned at how this coaching staff approaches games vs. top teams with top defenses in less then perfect weather.

So the forecast is fine & hope the Bills come out like they did vs.SF/Seattle.....

My biggest disappointments were their game plan vs. NE & KC, where they let the opponent and "elements" dictate their offense.

It should be the Steelers worried about containing the Bills offense and keeping them off the field, not vice-versa.

The weather will be pretty perfect other than cold. No rain or snow and winds under 10mph.

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I don't understand how anyone would watch that NE game and think that anything on offense was "dictated".  Daboll made a strategic choice that NE's weakness was run D and their strength was pass D.  He said "we're gonna run it until you show you can stop us".

Against KC, the problem wasn't the plan, but the execution.  The plan was pretty clearly for the offense to sustain drives with a pass-based offense while the defense stifled the KC quick strike deep pass game.  Neither plan worked.

First two offensive drives 9 pass plays, 3 run plays (with 1 probably a scramble by Allen).  10 pass, 2 run or at most, 9 pass 2 run.  7 incompletions, 2 completions.  The pass game wasn't working too well.  We scored a TD on the 3rd drive where we led with the run, 9 runs to 4 pass (50% completion with a dpi).  And even there, 4 of the runs were probably called pass plays and Allen scrambles, so in terms of called plays probably still 7 or 8 pass to 5 or 4 runs.  There was some "dictation" there in that KC was playing physical, but mostly it was that Brown was playing hampered and Allen just missed on some throws.  It was the second of his "massive linebacker brace" games.

Then on D we gave up long runs or YAC and lost contain on Mahomes, NOT part of the plan.

• Like (+1) 3

I think it’s gonna be a ton of run, short passing game, and an occasional deep shot on play action. I’m not sure Pittsburgh can rush AND defend within the ten yard range. I would think Diggs and Beasley will be wide open on anything within 10 yards every single play. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm interested to see what kind of game plan Daboll will put together. I'm thinking a lot of play action and short passes out of run formations to attack their depleted LB unit. With Haden being out, I could see a lot of short passes to Diggs like last week. Maybe a 8 catch 90 yard kind of day. 

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

White should play man coverage on Juju all game.  Play zone behind that. 

Actually asking here: are there any breakdowns of how effective that is? I've always wondered whether it makes the zone more difficult to execute. 

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't understand how anyone would watch that NE game and think that anything on offense was "dictated".  Daboll made a strategic choice that NE's weakness was run D and their strength was pass D.  He said "we're gonna run it until you show you can stop us".

Against KC, the problem wasn't the plan, but the execution.  The plan was pretty clearly for the offense to sustain drives with a pass-based offense while the defense stifled the KC quick strike deep pass game.  Neither plan worked.

First two offensive drives 9 pass plays, 3 run plays (with 1 probably a scramble by Allen).  10 pass, 2 run or at most, 9 pass 2 run.  7 incompletions, 2 completions.  The pass game wasn't working too well.  We scored a TD on the 3rd drive where we led with the run, 9 runs to 4 pass (50% completion with a dpi).  And even there, 4 of the runs were probably called pass plays and Allen scrambles, so in terms of called plays probably still 7 or 8 pass to 5 or 4 runs.  There was some "dictation" there in that KC was playing physical, but mostly it was that Brown was playing hampered and Allen just missed on some throws.  It was the second of his "massive linebacker brace" games.

Then on D we gave up long runs or YAC and lost contain on Mahomes, NOT part of the plan.

A wounded below average NE team was within a last minute fumble of beating the Bills.  Allen threw it 18 times against a NE secondary without Gilmore.  The Bills certainly played into NE's hand that week..  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Defensively, with Conner, and Pouncey both active, we're going to see a much more balanced Steelers team than last week vs. WFT. If the Steelers have their run game going,  I hope we see a lot of 4-3, with Klein, Edmunds, and Milano all out there. And do whatever we can to get Big Ben out of the pocket.

Offensively, their LBs are depleted, save TJ Watt. And, they're missing their best CB. They're going to try to force Josh into quick throws so they can bring their DBs in. We need to get them to respect the run, try to keep them to a four man rush, give Josh time in the pocket, and make them defend the entire field. They just don't have the manpower to do that. 

Just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Defensively, with Conner, and Pouncey both active, we're going to see a much more balanced Steelers team than last week vs. WFT. If the Steelers have their run game going,  I hope we see a lot of 4-3, with Klein, Edmunds, and Milano all out there. And do whatever we can to get Big Ben out of the pocket.

Offensively, their LBs are depleted, save TJ Watt. And, they're missing their best CB. They're going to try to force Josh into quick throws so they can bring their DBs in. We need to get them to respect the run, try to keep them to a four man rush, give Josh time in the pocket, and make them defend the entire field. They just don't have the manpower to do that. 

Just my two cents.

I'll chip in my two cents into the pot and agree with you. Bolded is the key for Bills defense. Lets hope our LBs are up for Steelers running game.

I am looking forward to see what kind of pressure Bills D will put on Creaky Old Man Ben. :)

Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I'll chip in my two cents into the pot and agree with you. Bolded is the key for Bills defense. Lets hope our LBs are up for Steelers running game.

I am looking forward to see what kind of pressure Bills D will put on Creaky Old Man Ben. :)

Go Bills

I think a lot of this game might hinge on who gets an early lead. If I were Mike Tomlin, I would be very focused on going into halftime with a lead. If they come out in the second half having to play from behind, with all the drops, and mistakes their receivers have been making the past few weeks (especially Washington, and Johnson-- but even Ebron has had some issues with drops), they're going to have problems. And if we could have an effective 4-man pass rush under those circumstances, we could dominate them in the second half. Or am I just being a homer...?

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think a lot of this game might hinge on who gets an early lead. If I were Mike Tomlin, I would be very focused on going into halftime with a lead. If they come out in the second half having to play from behind, with all the drops, and mistakes their receivers have been making the past few weeks (especially Washington, and Johnson-- but even Ebron has had some issues with drops), they're going to have problems. And if we could have an effective 4-man pass rush under those circumstances, we could dominate them in the second half. Or am I just being a homer...?

Your being a  Homer for sure.

And I can respect that position :)
I worry about Bills 3rd quarter. Have a history of ,, well not being very good just after the half.

38 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Your being a  Homer for sure.

And I can respect that position :)
I worry about Bills 3rd quarter. Have a history of ,, well not being very good just after the half.

I sometimes wonder if Daboll isn't game planning for the second half before the game even starts. I feel like there have been several games where there was barely a running game in the first half, and then we came out running in the 3rd quarter, and by the 4th we've reverted back to what was working in the first half. There have been at least a couple games where I thought the halftime adjustments were good on both sides of the ball (and halftime adjustment are usually good defensively). But, historically, halftime adjustments have not been Daboll's strong suit.

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I sometimes wonder if Daboll isn't game planning for the second half before the game even starts. I feel like there have been several games where there was barely a running game in the first half, and then we came out running in the 3rd quarter, and by the 4th we've reverted back to what was working in the first half. There have been at least a couple games where I thought the halftime adjustments were good on both sides of the ball (and halftime adjustment are usually good defensively). But, historically, halftime adjustments have not been Daboll's strong suit.

My concern has been the defense as well.

Frazier's group came out lack luster in the 3rd quite often 1st half of the season.
But both sides of the ball are trending up at the right time.

Is this the Game Bills want to finally establish a running game ?  Be nice to start a second half with some runs for 1st downs :)

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

My concern has been the defense as well.

Frazier's group came out lack luster in the 3rd quite often 1st half of the season.
But both sides of the ball are trending up at the right time.

Is this the Game Bills want to finally establish a running game ?  Be nice to start a second half with some runs for 1st downs :)

Be nice to start the first half with some runs for 1st downs. Make the Steelers defend the whole field, and they will struggle. 

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The strength of the Steeler defense is against the pass.   I believe they are ranked 1st in passing yards allowed per game at just under 200 yards allowed per game.  So we are likely not going to see your favorite meaningless 300 yard stat.  I think the Bills will need to have a balanced attack and rush the ball to open up the pass.

12 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Josh threw for 238. We won, but you weren't entertained. Did I get that right?

• Haha (+1) 1