Jake Kumerow signed to 53

YoloinOhio

I'm thinking he'll be on the active roster until John Brown returns from IR, at which point one would have to think he gets cut and returns to practice squad. Unless, of course, they view as contributions on special teams as so vital that they don't want to risk subjecting him to waivers.

• Like (+1) 2

No one has really said it, but the one thing our wr core seems to be lacking is the bigger possession receiver that can be that security blanket. Bease ends up being that a lot out of the slot, and Kumerow's singing may end up being more for special teams. But I'd love for Josh to have that big target he can look to in the crunch. 

Just saw this come up, Milano and Dodson are designated to return as well. 
I wonder if Kumerow will be more than an ST guy... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

No one has really said it, but the one thing our wr core seems to be lacking is the bigger possession receiver that can be that security blanket. Bease ends up being that a lot out of the slot, and Kumerow's singing may end up being more for special teams. But I'd love for Josh to have that big target he can look to in the crunch. 

Gabriel Davis is 6'2" and 210 lbs.  Does that qualify as bigger? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Wouldn't Hodgins be that? 6'4" and some said he had the best hands in the entire draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Gabe Davis?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Gabe Davis has been out there mossing people. He has some size. I like Kumerow as an option but I think this only temporary unless there is another WR injury. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Gabriel Davis is becoming this guy. Look no further than his high-point catch against the Chargers on Sunday.

Isaiah Hodgins has a chance to become this guy, too, but he's apparently redshirting this year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Gabriel Davis is becoming this guy. Look no further than his high-point catch against the Chargers on Sunday.

I'd like to see the Bills call more vertical plays for him. We shouldn't have to wait for a free play. That's been missing from our offense.

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

Gabriel Davis is 6'2" and 210 lbs.  Does that qualify as bigger? 

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Wouldn't Hodgins be that? 6'4" and some said he had the best hands in the entire draft.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gabe Davis has been out there mossing people. He has some size. I like Kumerow as an option but I think this only temporary unless there is another WR injury. 

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Isaiah Hodgins has a chance to become this guy, too, but he's apparently redshirting this year.

Gabe Davis has good size and a very good vertical. I see him as an outside wr who can make big plays, but less as a possession wr that knows how to his size  as leverage to get open and be a security blanket. Maybe Hodgins can be that guy, but that remains to be seen.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Gabriel Davis needs to be given more chances..  He's got a lot of Chase Claypool in him, where he can just Moss dudes on deep routes.  

I'd like to see him take the John Brown role, as a different type of deep threat, in these next 2 games.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'd like to see the Bills call more vertical plays for him. We shouldn't have to wait for a free play. That's been missing from our offense.

Agreed.

I have very few critiques of Daboll, who I happen to think is an excellent play caller 90% of the time.

My one "wish list item" that never seems to come true is called deep shots. For years, we've heard "we're taking what the defense gives us". And while obviously you don't want to force things deep, it seems the Bills are more willing to let defenses dictate to them than some other teams. Opposing defenses play the Chiefs and Seahawks similarly to how they play the Bills -- soft zones, doing everything they can to take away the deep ball -- and yet those teams still take those shots, and they still complete deep passes. I'd like to see the Bills not be SO scared of what a defense is doing that they're unwilling to even TRY to throw it deep.

The rate at which ticky-tack defensive pass interference penalties are called these days is another great reason to dial up regular deep shots to Davis and Diggs.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, T master said:

Is this guy really that good i never here anything about him other than things like this is he a ST's guy ?? Is he better than Duke as a WR ? 

He’s 6’4” 215 and surprisingly agile for that size. Doesn’t have a big vertical or great speed to go with that size, which is part of why he could never beat out other more physically talented WRs. Rodgers liked him because he’s a solid route runner that seems to work towards the QB or soft spots between zones when the QB is out of the pocket. Whether all that is innate or due to his relationship with Rodgers IDK. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it could also just be that he’s out of free call ups, and they need him until smoke returns 

Oh yeah definitely.  Hap was just asking about why they protected the PS players they did.  The thing that struck me was the Kumerow was not on the list which meant he might get put on the active roster.  PS protections have seemed to be about emergency needs in response to Covid for which he could still be called up even if hes out of his 2 elevations (right?).  

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Most likely. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kumerow active against the Chargers?  I am pretty sure I saw him flying all over the place on special teams.  

Yes, he’s been active the last 3 games and playing about 50% of the ST snaps.  Has seen the field a handful of times on offense but I haven’t picked him out yet.  3 snaps against the Seasnakes, 1 last week.

I thought it had to do with backfilling for Taiwan Jones who was injured during NE, but Jones was active and played most of the ST snaps last week and Kumerow still played 50%.  So I think they must feel he “earned it”.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

I have very few critiques of Daboll, who I happen to think is an excellent play caller 90% of the time.

My one "wish list item" that never seems to come true is called deep shots. For years, we've heard "we're taking what the defense gives us". And while obviously you don't want to force things deep, it seems the Bills are more willing to let defenses dictate to them than some other teams. Opposing defenses play the Chiefs and Seahawks similarly to how they play the Bills -- soft zones, doing everything they can to take away the deep ball -- and yet those teams still take those shots, and they still complete deep passes. I'd like to see the Bills not be SO scared of what a defense is doing that they're unwilling to even TRY to throw it deep.

The rate at which ticky-tack defensive pass interference penalties are called these days is another great reason to dial up regular deep shots to Davis and Diggs.

I wonder if Josh isn't quite there yet with the deep ball, Daboll might just be doing things Josh has been doing well. Maybe if there would have been more time in the preseason/ota's there would have been a better comfort level.  I think they will try to round off the offense with more deep balls next year, along with finding a way to improve the running game.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Gabriel Davis needs to be given more chances..  He's got a lot of Chase Claypool in him, where he can just Moss dudes on deep routes.  

I'd like to see him take the John Brown role, as a different type of deep threat, in these next 2 games.

Davis is really good. Can he go deep, sure. But he’s that big body possession receiver. Everyone wants to replace John brown yet he’s clearly a difference maker. We are better with smoke. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, he’s been active the last 3 games and playing about 50% of the ST snaps.  Has seen the field a handful of times on offense but I haven’t picked him out yet.  3 snaps against the Seasnakes, 1 last week.

I thought it had to do with backfilling for Taiwan Jones who was injured during NE, but Jones was active and played most of the ST snaps last week and Kumerow still played 50%.  So I think they must feel he “earned it”.

Yeah, he was noticeable on special teams on several plays.  His hair, size and speed were all evident.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Agreed.  Maybe my memory fails me, but I swore we were seeing daily deep connections to Davis in camp but during the season we have not seen many deep shots to him.  If he's in single coverage throw it up and let him make a play.

• Like (+1) 1

He's the new Duke Williams, we just never got an opportunity to see him in a preseason game...

Seriously, he does have a chance to become a productive NFL player.  Last year he started 4 games for the Pack and averaged 18.3 ypc on 12 catches.  I'd really like to see him get a chance and see what he can do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

No one has said it because it's not true. Go look at the height of our receivers and then come back and talk

6 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

This Jake signing tells you what a suck ass Duke Williams really is.

A suck ass😂😂😂

Edited by Dablitzkrieg

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

He’s 6’4” 215 and surprisingly agile for that size. Doesn’t have a big vertical or great speed to go with that size, which is part of why he could never beat out other more physically talented WRs. Rodgers liked him because he’s a solid route runner that seems to work towards the QB or soft spots between zones when the QB is out of the pocket. Whether all that is innate or due to his relationship with Rodgers IDK. 

Actually JK goes in at 209 pounds, per the Bills news release,