Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

People talking about a forfeit is ridiculous.  Talk about incentivizing a team to sweep positive results under the carpet!

They can't possibly do that. The testing is done by an independent laboratory with the results being sent directly to the NFL. The team has no control over the test results.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Dianna Russini on ESPN said titans and bills players are told they might play the game monday or tuesday (IF THE POSITIVE TESTS DISSAPEAR IN THE NEXT TWO DAYS), in which case the Bills/Chiefs game gets moved to Saturday night (NFL wants it on a non football day to generate revenue for themselves and FOX)

If Bills play Tuesday while chiefs play Sunday, playing each other then on Saturday is a big disadvantage for Bills. Thanks stupid titans.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If Bills play Tuesday while chiefs play Sunday, playing each other then on Saturday is a big disadvantage for Bills. Thanks stupid titans.

yea I don't disagree at all, but like has been said this season isnt about fair, its about getting it in

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

And what happens when the Bills finish 13-2 and the Ravens or Chiefs finish 14-2, costing the Bills a bye? It can’t work like that. 

This actually happened in baseball because of the 1972 baseball lockout. Tigers finished 86-70 and Red Sox 85-70....guess who made the playoffs

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

And I'm driving across country that next Saturday!  A trip I planned for that day since the Bills would be done on Thursday and not playing that weekend. SONOFA!

that's gonna leave a mark

• Haha (+1) 1

I like football, and I haven't really paid attention to the ins and outs of all that goes into making decisions in this environment, but it seems to me that the hard-line approach is the only thing that can work:

If a team goes over the limit, the limit being whatever is deemed to be the acceptable level of positive test results, the quarantine rules, etc., the team forfeits the upcoming game.  It isn't rescheduled, it isn't played.  The players don't get paid.  The scheduled opponent gets a win, and the players on the opponent team get paid, because they did all that they could do to play the game.  

This approach has a variety of benefits.  First, it creates an enormous incentive to the players to stay healthy.  Second, it doesn't penalize the teams that stay healthy.  Third, it avoids the secondary unfairness of schedule changes.   Why should the Bills be living this morning with all this uncertainty about their schedule just because the Titans couldn't manage their players and their facility properly?  Why should we be talking about the Titans game moving to Monday night and the Chiefs moving to Saturday?   Fourth, it makes a broader social statement - it says the NFL is deadly serious about controlling the disease - it is willing both to impose forfeits AND to take the economic hit of losing a game to televise.   

What's going on now just makes the NFL's greed more apparent.  They won't cancel games because they don't want to lose the money, so instead they are doing caseoby-case decision making every day, trying to adjust on the fly.  The NFL needs to put their big-boy pants on and take the hit.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

So now we have to wait for no positive tests through Saturday before we know when the game will potentially be played.  If they test positive today (results Friday), then that means no earlier than Monday.  If they test positive on Friday (results on Saturday), then the game shifts to Tuesday.  If they test positive on Saturday (results Sunday), then Tuesday is off.  This drama is going to hold the league hostage all weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

This actually happened in baseball because of the 1972 baseball lockout. Tigers finished 86-70 and Red Sox 85-70....guess who made the playoffs

The Orioles?

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, wjag said:

So now we have to wait for no positive tests through Saturday before we know when the game will potentially be played.  If they test positive today (results Friday), then that means no earlier than Monday.  If they test positive on Friday (results on Saturday), then the game shifts to Tuesday.  If they test positive on Saturday (results Sunday), then Tuesday is off.  This drama is going to hold the league hostage all weekend.

yep... and there’s really no reason to believe the tests will stop coming back positive. We know they didn’t follow protocol, we know they met off site... 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If the decision is based on what is best for the players, the game would be moved to Sunday or Monday, and not Saturday night.  But the league is more concerned with TV ratings and the associated revenue.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I disagree. I think the NFL has a lot of great protocols in place...and why we have seen very minimal spread of this easily spreadable virus. The breakdown happens when INDIVIDUALS choose not to follow those protocols. I don't fault the NFL for that.

However, they likely SHOULD HAVE built in shared bye weeks for all teams to make up games that would be cancelled, inevitably. But overall I think they have done a good job. 

well that’s my point 

not so much players getting the virus but the lack of planning in response to it. It feels like they are scrambling right now. 

Just now, wjag said:

exactly.  They’re basing that on the best-case assumption.

Just make them forfeit already, for chrissakes

I think the most prudent thing would be to scrap the game right now. Call it a postponed indefinitely. If you have more situations like this down the line and have to add a week 18, put it there. If not, and if it can be proved that the Titans negligence caused this, have it be a forfeit. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, buffalonian said:

If the decision is based on what is best for the players, the game would be moved to Sunday or Monday, and not Saturday night.  But the league is more concerned with TV ratings and the associated revenue.  

Right - why Saturday? 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really not the biggest issue imo but....

what an absolute joke

so the team that doesn’t have any players who broke protocol gets punished (Bills) 

Godell and the NFL can go ***** themselves. I hope the whole season gets voided and they lose all their money 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And I'm driving across country that next Saturday!  A trip I planned for that day since the Bills would be done on Thursday and not playing that weekend. SONOFA!

I also built my travel plans so I could be in a hotel Thursday PM and on the road Sunday.  Like the NFL, I will need to be flexible it appears.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

we can definitely say the NFL has handled this situation worse than any other pro sports league 

the wealthiest league in the world looks like it has no idea how to handle this...embarrassing 

This is total Bull.  The NFL has been fine - ONE TEAM did not follow protocol and specific directives.  

The only thing embarrassing to me is these constant takes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ha. I started to write out that we should expect nothing less from a disciple of Belichick. Only difference,  Vrabel isn’t in the same stratosphere as Belichick when it comes to intelligence. 

Maybe not, but for all of his brilliance, Belichick certainly has a problem with getting too close to the line, and that's part of the Patriots' culture.  Vrabel certainly could have learned the cultural lessons without having the football intelligence that Bills has.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Penfield45 said:

well that’s my point 

not so much players getting the virus but the lack of planning in response to it. It feels like they are scrambling right now. 

They probably could have done a better job giving flexibility in the schedule, but the reality is that if the titans had anything but ***** for brains, we would still be in a pretty smooth sailing position right now. The protocols work well. The titans need to be shot.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really not the biggest issue imo but....

The NFL isn't allowed to play games on Saturday's in accordance with the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December.

• Thank you (+1) 5

From the updates topic heading, it appears that there were 2 more positive tests today?

that definitely means the game is off on Sunday. 

if I were the NFL, I would say, “game postponed indefinitely.” They can figure out later whether they can squeeze it in or whether they want to call a forfeit. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, whatdrought said:

They probably could have done a better job giving flexibility in the schedule, but the reality is that if the titans had anything but ***** for brains, we would still be in a pretty smooth sailing position right now. The protocols work well. The titans need to be shot.

Watch them try to screw us over so their big market teams can have no worries 

nfl has been doing it for decades 

Just now, Forward Progress said:

The NFL isn't allowed to play games on Saturday's in accordance with the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which exempts the NFL from antitrust laws for its broadcasting rights. The act prohibits NFL broadcasts on Friday nights and on Saturdays beginning on the second Friday in September and ending on the second Saturday in December.

Man everywhere you turn there are lawyers and legal implications to the decision making.

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I also built my travel plans so I could be in a hotel Thursday PM and on the road Sunday.  Like the NFL, I will need to be flexible it appears.

I guess the bright side is, if I can tether my laptop to my phone and use the data to get a stream going, it would be a good way to kill 3 hours of a 14 hour drive.

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe not, but for all of his brilliance, Belichick certainly has a problem with getting too close to the line, and that's part of the Patriots' culture.  Vrabel certainly could have learned the cultural lessons without having the football intelligence that Bills has.  

I think it’s really ironic that a BB disciple is wrecking the league with his carelessness about rules, while BB and the pats seem to be locked down and taking this seriously... it’s almost like losing players is bad for your competitive capacity. 

Just now, Penfield45 said:

well that’s my point 

The only plan that they really didn't have in place was for what to do when a team or players show a blatant lack of respect toward the league when told how to follow protocols.

Every other team has managed their cases correctly and haven't had anywhere near the outbreak the titans have.  

They are trying to put out the wildfire that is the Titan right now so yes, I'm not surprised they are scrambling because they probably under-estimated how stupid people can be.

• Like (+1) 1