Week 5: Bills at Titans on Tuesday Night Football

YoloinOhio

Wait and see is actually a good method I think... there’s still a chance the titans can be cleared to play and so far this season the wait and see approach by the league has worked decently well. 

The bills can prepare for the game and worst case scenario, have some down time. They’re not going to lose anything by practicing and keeping a normal rhythm.

17 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Wait and see is actually a good method I think... there’s still a chance the titans can be cleared to play and so far this season the wait and see approach by the league has worked decently well. 

The bills can prepare for the game and worst case scenario, have some down time. They’re not going to lose anything by practicing and keeping a normal rhythm.

For teams following protocol, yes. It has. 

Then there's the titans. 

Edited by The Wiz

9 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Why can’t they just postpone and then reschedule any games they need to until the end of the season and start the playoffs a week or two, or a month late even, if need be? 

What if the NFL can't make up those games? What if the Titans make it into the Playoffs as a 9-5 WC over some 9-7 team? These are two games serious Playoffs contenders. I'd be pissed if I was say a Browns fan and my team can't make it in because Tenn got a pass on two hard teams. Or alternatively what if both the Steelers and Bills are locked into a playoff seed by then? They'd have zero reason to risk their starters. Now Tennessee has some cupcakes.

Edited by Rochesterian Bills Fan

11 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

What if the NFL can't make up those games? What if the Titans make it into the Playoffs as a 9-5 WC over some 9-7 team? These are two games serious Playoffs contenders. I'd be pissed if I was say a Browns fan and my team can't make it in because Tenn got a pass on two hard teams. Or alternatively what if both the Steelers and Bills are locked into a playoff seed by then? They'd have zero reason to risk their starters. Now Tennessee has some cupcakes.

Here's a better solution which will likely work itself out.  Suspend the players/coaches involved for 4 games.  Push the Steelers and Bills game to the end of the season.  If the playoffs are still going to be affected by who wins the titans/steelers, titans/bills, the games are played.  If not, then they are left behind as a win for the bills and steelers.

The reality is they wont suspend players, only quarantine them because of their own stupidity (I only mean this towards the titans, people catch things all the time without being stupid like Vrabel).

Edited by The Wiz

20 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

What if the NFL can't make up those games? What if the Titans make it into the Playoffs as a 9-5 WC over some 9-7 team? These are two games serious Playoffs contenders. I'd be pissed if I was say a Browns fan and my team can't make it in. Or alternatively what if both the Steelers and Bills are locked into a playoff seed by then? They'd have zero reason to risk their starters. Now Tennessee has some cupcakes.

If you extend the season a couple of weeks I see no reason why you can't make those games up IMO.  Resting the starters happens fairly frequently nearing the end of the season anywsay IMO. You still worked hard enough apparently to earn the rest. Every team eligible for the playoffs needs to have played the same amount of games IMO.   

Edited by Figster

20 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Why wouldn’t the NFL be able to make up those games?... what is stopping them from just rescheduling these games to after week 17 and jus postpone the playoffs. 
If they’re cupcakes then they’re cupcakes, that happens all the time. I see no reason why they can’t just push the start of the playoffs back and allow a 2 -3 week period for makeup games due to Covid.

To the people asking why the NFL might not be able to make up those games, what if the league has to bubble up or shorten the season? Not impossible at this point. I wouldn't be coming down so hard on Tennessee over this if it wasn't readily apparent they behaved like twits.

Titans broke protocols, gathered for a workout last week   OCTOBER 07, 2020 12:35 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A group of Titans worked out at Montgomery Bell Academy on Sept. 30 despite an NFL directive not to hold such get-togethers while team headquarters was closed because of a COVID-19 outbreak, according to sources who saw players there.

A league source said that once the Titans building was closed down on Sept. 29, the franchise was told there were to be “no in-person meetings, workouts or activities at the facility or elsewhere.”

Another source said he saw Ryan Tannehill there.

https://www.paulkuharsky.com/news/titans-broke-protocols-gathered-for-a-workout-last-week

4 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Why can’t they just postpone and then reschedule any games they need to until the end of the season and start the playoffs a week or two, or a month late even, if need be? 

Let's say a team finishes 1st in the conference and earns the bye, and also ends up not needing any games rescheduled.  Is it fair to have them wait a month (or more?) to play and get rusty?

51 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I say there’s 99% chance this game is cancelled. 

If no more positive tests come up between now and kickoff the game will pry be played on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

To the people asking why the NFL might not be able to make up those games, what if the league has to bubble up or shorten the season? Not impossible at this point. I wouldn't be coming down so hard on Tennessee over this if it wasn't readily apparent they behaved like twits.

Too much money to lose with TV contracts so I doubt they shorten the season.  The only bubble like scenario I could see during the regular season is for teams to isolate themselves in hotels, practice facilities, etc. and not allow them to venture away from the team (including seeing their wives and kids).  Not sure if the NFLPA would agree to that although they may be forced to if this gets too out of control.

Edited by Doc Brown

The only way the season should be extended is if the league takes a break for one week, every four weeks of the season after the eight week mark, for either make up games or teams get to rest.

To do it at the end of the season would be a competitive disadvantage for teams that have to wait it out for a Tennessee team to finish their schedule. No game action for three or four weeks (the top team in the conference) is too long without playing.

• Like (+1) 2

The problem I was thinking about by deferring a game to week 18:  Say you’re the Chiefs and you have earned one of the two coveted bye weeks off, if you’re playing a rescheduled game, did you just lose the week off?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, par73 said:

Thursday is normally the last full regular practice day. You'd think everyone would need to know.

Isn’t it Friday?

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

Let's say a team finishes 1st in the conference and earns the bye, and also ends up not needing any games rescheduled.  Is it fair to have them wait a month (or more?) to play and get rusty?

No, but I don’t think the nfl is going to hinge decisions on fairness this year.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, but I don’t think the nfl is going to hinge decisions on fairness this year.

I'm not saying that is going to be the primary concern, but fairness also ties into optics which the league typically seems driven by.  In any case, with winter and a second wave likely coming, adding extra weeks at the end of the season may not really be possible / practical.

12 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'm not saying that is going to be the primary concern, but fairness also ties into optics which the league typically seems driven by.  In any case, with winter and a second wave likely coming, adding extra weeks at the end of the season may not really be possible / practical.

I don’t think it would be their first choice, but then again they do want “extra” games for money purposes so may not mind too much. I think they just want to get all the games in however they can. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think it would be their first choice, but then again they do want “extra” games for money purposes so may not mind too much. I think they just want to get all the games in however they can. 

Yeah but if the outbreak gets worse over the winter (as has been predicted) it will be harder to keep teams outbreak free at that point (unless they are in a full bubble.)

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Do we really want a forfeit “W” in the win column for the Bills?

Nope.  

Logical reasoning would be to play the game Tuesday Night, if needed, and move KC to Sunday/Monday.  

I’d be pretty disappointed if the league forced the Titans to forfeit just because they don’t want to move Bills/Chiefs off Thursday Night.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I am thinking about how to win a football game against a difficult opponent, on the road.

Stop Henry, and attack through the air, it would seem.

Considering how decimated the Titans WR group is right now the Bills can sell out against the run like they did in Vegas and make Tannehill try to keep up with the Bills offense in the air. With just how soft the interior O-Line is in Tennessee right now and how (historically) Tannehill deals poorly with pressure coupled with his longer release time sort of sets up a disaster for Tennessee if they are forced to play catch up most of the game. I'm not the strongest Xs and Os guy so someone jump in if I'm wrong here.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can't believe they still haven't made a decision. I get the sense the league is going to plow ahead and are crossing their fingers there's no more positive tests. Is that safe?

I think we would have heard if there were more positives from Tennessee by now 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Do we really want a forfeit “W” in the win column for the Bills?

No.  If possible, I'd much rather go ahead and play the game on Sunday or Monday against whatever team the Titans can put on the field.  Or, if the league decides that it's not safe to go that route, just skip this game and go by win % for playoff purposes.  

I'd rather take a forfeit win than have to play another game in week 18 while everybody else has the week off though.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

Considering how decimated the Titans WR group is right now the Bills can sell out against the run like they did in Vegas and make Tannehill try to keep up with the Bills offense in the air. With just how soft the interior O-Line is in Tennessee right now and how (historically) Tannehill deals poorly with pressure coupled with his longer release time sort of sets up a disaster for Tennessee if they are forced to play catch up most of the game. I'm not the strongest Xs and Os guy so someone jump in if I'm wrong here.

I think we would have heard if there were more positives from Tennessee by now 

The test results are usually reported between about this time and 8:40

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I can't believe they still haven't made a decision. I get the sense the league is going to plow ahead and are crossing their fingers there's no more positive tests. Is that safe?

If there’s no new positives today or tomorrow, the game is being played.  That seems pretty apparent right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So, you are against the league taking their time to make a huge decision like this?

What benefit will it have for anyone if they made it yesterday compared to say, today or tomorrow?

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why wouldn’t it be safe? If we get clean tests from now to Sunday it’s a pretty good indicator that the outbreak is ramping down... to me at least, that seems safer than teams playing when they have just one positive test shortly before the game. 

• Like (+1) 1