Titans NOW 20 positive Covid tests and Impacts ] updated 10/3

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

I don't like that there are new cases trickling in every day. That worries me a bit. But maybe if it gets worse they will just put in an extra bye week for the whole league and have that as a standing policy if this happens again.

I believe back when they were discussing even having a season, one of the scenarios was pushing back the playoffs to play any make up games needed. If Bills-Titans can't play next week, I would expect them to play in the new week 18. No way they have Titans forfeit the game.

31 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

They still easily can though?

They could postpone the playoffs by a week and have teams that need make up games play then.  Wow, how great would it be for the Bills to have a bye before the Chiefs game, who will have a short week.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They could postpone the playoffs by a week and have teams that need make up games play then.  Wow, how great would it be for the Bills to have a bye before the Chiefs game, who will have a short week.

That's what I was thinking, even a couple weeks if this gets out of hand. We are talking basically 3 months out. 

A bye week to get healthy and GP against the Chiefs would be awesome. 

Heard on TV:  The Titans have two more players testing positive today.  With their bye week already being used up by the rescheduling of their game with Pittsburgh, it begs the question, what if the Titans keep having additional players test positive next week?  Will they have to forfeit to the Bills?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It would be less great though - if because of Tennessee - both the Bills and Titans had to play the week before the playoffs and everyone else got a bye.

If this is postponed (as it could be) - we get screwed in the end.

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

That's what I was thinking, even a couple weeks if this gets out of hand. We are talking basically 3 months out. 

A bye week to get healthy and GP against the Chiefs would be awesome. 

Might be good now, but long term would suck for the Bills.

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't everyone have tested positive at the same time? Does this mean the tests the NFL is using are unreliable?

No, since it spreads from one player to another over time (days) based on contact, and not everyone all at once.

It's not like one person gathered the entire team around and sneezed on them.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks, I suppose my confusion stems more about tests and not incubation periods. I don't understand how effective a test is if it's not showing a positive during the incubation period. You could have a bunch of people test negative but still be contagious?

[for general questions about covid-19, testing etc please consult the resources at the top of the thread. No clinical test is perfect in practical use. -Hap]

Edit - Will do boss, didn't mean to push any boundaries, was just confused. I'll keep the medical stuff off this board, thanks.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It would be less great though - if because of Tennessee - both the Bills and Titans had to play the week before the playoffs and everyone else got a bye.

If this is postponed (as it could be) - we get screwed in the end.

Might be good now, but long term would suck for the Bills.

Should be fine since we'll have the first round bye anyways :beer:

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't everyone have tested positive at the same time? Does this mean the tests the NFL is using are unreliable?

No because they are spreading it internally and each person reacts differently depending on exposure limits and their immune ability.

The initial positive coach before testing positive - most likely spread it to one or two players/coaches.

Those guys then spread to a few more each and then because they were negative - were in contact with a few others and those guys are just coming up positive now.  It really tells me even though the coach says they followed protocol- I tend to think some people were lax.

The issue is we do not know for sure exactly when all of the transmission is occurring- late last week - on Sunday - on the various flights?  That is why the spotlight is on Minnesota because if it was prior to the game and the virus was spread to Minnesota- they should start showing up between Thursday and Sunday.

The biggest problem is people assume a negative means no COVID and that is not true.  Negative just means no COVID detected in that sample.  Sometimes it might be to early from exposure and the viral load in the person is to low.  Sometimes it is not a great sample and you miss the virus,  Sometimes it is a good collection and for this person the virus is growing deeper in the respiratory tract and therefore the virus is not present where you are testing.  People also become infective at different rates than testing positive.  Some are infective before testing positive and sometimes it is timing - testing in the am - become infective 4-6 hours later during meetings or work-outs.

Back to the football side.  It means since we are still seeing positives - it is not contained and the entire Tennessee team really needs 8-10 days of “isolation” and then if there are no positives they can begin to return to normal activities.  We will know more come this weekend on the entire situation.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

At some point the Titans organization should have to bite the bullet. Yeah it sucks, they are a solid team. But why should the whole league be punished if 1 teams continually tests positive.

We knew this was gonna happen. And could have happened to any team. If 1 games is affected, sure, get a fix in the schedule. But beyond that, when does someone say, sorry....

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But what happens if teams have multiple games to make up and they happen after their byes?

They should isolate those who tested positive and not go to the facility... but I’d say by Tuesday. If no new cases, allow only those who test negative in the facility and they should be sequestered until after the Bills game.... meaning they sleep and stay there for the next 5 days, tested everyday.

Edited by CEN-CAL17

Uncharted territory for the NFL... I would think if there are enough players on the Titans who have quarantined and not tested positive then the NFL may waive some rules around how many guys they can call up from reserves to fill out their roster, or they could go the forfeit route. If they are following NFLPA guidance then contact-tracing should not be that hard, but if they weren't...

Players and teams have to be smarter. I am still a bit PO'd at the Raiders and hope their stupidity is not literally contagious.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Thanks, I suppose my confusion stems more about tests and not incubation periods. I don't understand how effective a test is if it's not showing a positive during the incubation period. You could have a bunch of people test negative but still be contagious?

[for general questions about covid-19, testing etc please consult the resources at the top of the thread. No clinical test is perfect in practical use. -Hap]

I will bow out after this don’t want to derail and stay football specific. But this isn’t uncommon for any test for any illness. Even strep throat won’t test positive the same for everybody. HIV is an extreme example, which we have been testing for for decades. It takes a MINIMUM of 30 days or so to get a positive result for HIV. Even then, if you can push that time frame out an extra week or two, the better the test becomes. 

Just trying to provide color for other relatively common place tests. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

At some point the Titans organization should have to bite the bullet. Yeah it sucks, they are a solid team. But why should the whole league be punished if 1 teams continually tests positive.

We knew this was gonna happen. And could have happened to any team. If 1 games is affected, sure, get a fix in the schedule. But beyond that, when does someone say, sorry....

If the Titans are forced to forfeit a game, it affects the entire NFL and the playoff picture.

I think the league is going to do everything in their power to avoid that.

My question is... at what point should they be forced to play the game with practice squad players and signings off the street?

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If the Titans are forced to forfeit a game, it affects the entire NFL and the playoff picture.

I think the league is going to do everything in their power to avoid that.

My question is... at what point should they be forced to play the game with practice squad players and signings off the street?

PS players they can do, but remember with COVID - it is about 5 days before an off the street signing can get into the building.  So they can’t even supplement by signing guys without giving almost a week to just daily testing.

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

PS players they can do, but remember with COVID - it is about 5 days before an off the street signing can get into the building.  So they can’t even supplement by signing guys without giving almost a week to just daily testing.

still, this isn’t a ton of players. 

I would be curious when designing the enhanced practice squad how many positives the league would have allowed a game to continue with.

So what are the rules WRT roster moves due to Covid?  Normally to activate someone from the PS there needs to be a roster opening so you'd have to waive/release an active player, so he could be then signed by another team.  Is there some type of exemption for any players who test positive?  Can they can be removed from active roster with no ability to be poached, then once healthy moved back to active roster again with PS players now being denoted and again can't be lost to another team?   Tenn have close to ten players right now positive, no way they can just make them inactive for game, they need replacements.

Without something like that, don't see how using PS players helps at all.

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So what are the rules WRT roster moves due to Covid?  Normally to activate someone from the PS there needs to be a roster opening so you'd have to waive/release an active player, so he could be then signed by another team.  Is there some type of exemption for any players who test positive?  Can they can be removed from active roster with no ability to be poached, then once healthy moved back to active roster again with PS players now being denoted and again can't be lost to another team?   Tenn have close to ten players right now positive, no way they can just make them inactive for game, they need replacements.

Without something like that, don't see how using PS players helps at all.

The players go on the COVID IR (essentially putting people on the IR list for 3 weeks). That opens the roster spots.

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

still, this isn’t a ton of players. 

I would be curious when designing the enhanced practice squad how many positives the league would have allowed a game to continue with.

I would assume up to about 10 players - although I believe someone stated that the league mentioned postponing games if a team was hit all in one position group because the PS would not be able to cover if a whole position became impacted - for example 5WRs - the PS might have 2 - so the NFL would have to look at options.

34 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The players go on the COVID IR (essentially putting people on the IR list for 3 weeks). That opens the roster spots.

I would assume up to about 10 players - although I believe someone stated that the league mentioned postponing games if a team was hit all in one position group because the PS would not be able to cover if a whole position became impacted - for example 5WRs - the PS might have 2 - so the NFL would have to look at options.

they already postponed for less than that though is my point. If this was across the line I’m curious where the line was but maybe there’s extenuating circumstances like ignoring protocol making them particularly high risk

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

they already postponed for less than that though is my point. If this was across the line I’m curious where the line was but maybe there’s extenuating circumstances like ignoring protocol making them particularly high risk

I think the postponement this weekend was because people keep coming up positive and they wanted to keep the Titans apart to prevent additional spreading. 

I don’t think the numbers were the problem.

The initial plan sounded like if they had no more positives - they would have played Monday afternoon.  Having 5 additional players test positive through out this week emphasizes that they needed to keep the players apart to prevent a larger outbreak and they needed to keep them apart 8-10 days - until next Monday or Tuesday- then they can deal with replacement players.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the postponement this weekend was because people keep coming up positive and they wanted to keep the Titans apart to prevent additional spreading. 

I don’t think the numbers were the problem.

The initial plan sounded like if they had no more positives - they would have played Monday afternoon.  Having 5 additional players test positive through out this week emphasizes that they needed to keep the players apart to prevent a larger outbreak and they needed to keep them apart 8-10 days - until next Monday or Tuesday- then they can deal with replacement players.

right.

but with your guess if 10, how do you suppose they get to 8 and play if they pull the plug here?

are you picturing 8 positives spread across the roster on Monday and then nothing else? 

it just feels like you have to expect a few coming back across a couple days once you open the door for COVID In the building 

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Unfortunately it's starting to sound like spread within the locker room beyond initial contact... bad news. 

Brutal news.

The 2nd wave is beginning in the country in general. 

On the bright side, the mortality rates for players age range is extremely low,  I'm more worried about older coaches , praying for all involved,  including our great President and First Lady .

Edited by JerseyBills

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Unfortunately it's starting to sound like spread within the locker room beyond initial contact... bad news. 

Certainly does, as there are plenty of different position guys with it. A couple of WRs, LB, DL, CB and Long Snapper, and a couple of PS guys (TE and CB).

One position coach and half a dozen other team personnel.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/02/adam-humphries-cameron-batson-placed-on-titans-covid-19-list/

Cases on the Titans need to stop cropping up asap, if the Bills game isn't going to be put in doubt also.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

right.

but with your guess if 10, how do you suppose they get to 8 and play if they pull the plug here?

are you picturing 8 positives spread across the roster on Monday and then nothing else? 

it just feels like you have to expect a few coming back across a couple days once you open the door for COVID In the building 

I guess I don’t get what you are asking at all.

I believe if the initial group on Monday had been even up to 8 or so players and then the rest of this week saw no more positives (so it was 1 exposure at 1 point and time) - the NFL talked about closing the Titans facility until Saturday and then moving the Pittsburgh game to Monday or Tuesday.

Once they got additional positives on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday - now they now that it was not a single exposure, but small groups exposing other small groups - which suggests they may not be strictly following protocol.  This has forced the NFL to keep the facility closed until at least Monday or Tuesday.  The NFL is also bringing in some experts to review the exposures to find out if this was truly them not following protocol or an unfortunate accident.  I expect fines, maybe draft pick losses if they determine protocol was severely broken.

If at this point the Titans have it under control- I would think the players will go on IR and the team will activate replacements from the PS and our game will go on.  If more players continue to become positive - which could happen based on some people 8 day incubation or if some players are getting together outside of the facility and spreading it - then I would assume the NFL will keep the Facility closed and have to make a decision on whether to postpone the Bills game or maybe choose to force Tennessee to forfeit some games.  The NFL owners and NFLPA discussed a bunch of options prior to the season - we will see how it plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

OK yes forgot about the Covid IR designation.  So when the players come back can their replacements go back to PS without exposure to waiver claims by other teams?  Certainly going to hurt Tenn if they lose these players for 3 weeks.  Just hearing everything going on today in the news, they could be healthy enough to come back in 10 days if mild cases, but will be required to sit 3 weeks.

At this point isn't this ideal for Buffalo? The time frame to me seems to ensure they get all the infected Titans isolated and in the meanwhile the Titans can't use this unexpected bye for extra practices.

Right?

I can't see our game against them being in jeopardy with the 11 or 12 days between the shutting down of the Titans completely and our game against them.

Right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

At this point isn't this ideal for Buffalo? The time frame to me seems to ensure they get all the infected Titans isolated and in the meanwhile the Titans can't use this unexpected bye for extra practices.

Right?

I can't see our game against them being in jeopardy with the 11 or 12 days between the shutting down of the Titans completely and our game against them.

Right?

Correct. 

They've kept everyone away from each other since Monday.  

I think they will be told the first time they can meet together will be Thursday the 8th for practice.  That's 10 plus days since being with each other and shutting down.   

No positives by then, we're playing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm most concerned about going forward later in the season when there aren't bye weeks to flex into.  If a team who has already been through their bye week (naturally or by rescheduling) has a game the next week against a team that suddenly has an outbreak, what do they do?  Will they be awarded the win by default or do they push back the playoffs a week and add a week 18 to flex in another reschedule?  You'd either have to push the season back a week to give unaffected teams a second bye week, or have the top seeds have two weeks off through the wild card round.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Correct. 

They've kept everyone away from each other since Monday.  

I think they will be told the first time they can meet together will be Thursday the 8th for practice.  That's 10 plus days since being with each other and shutting down.   

No positives by then, we're playing. 

Or, our game vs them is moved and we have 10 days to prep for chef, who will have 3 plus travel. I don’t know what the nfl’s contingency plan is now that titans bye week is taken but they must have one. Move the playoffs back a week? So many questions. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/03/three-more-positive-covid-19-tests-in-titans-organization/

Another player and 2 more from within the organization. Definitely a cause for concern for the Bills game to go ahead.

At a guess, much will depend on how soon the players who have already tested positive, can come back with negative tests, assuming no more players test positive.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK yes forgot about the Covid IR designation.  So when the players come back can their replacements go back to PS without exposure to waiver claims by other teams?  Certainly going to hurt Tenn if they lose these players for 3 weeks.  Just hearing everything going on today in the news, they could be healthy enough to come back in 10 days if mild cases, but will be required to sit 3 weeks.

As I understand it, teams can protect four practice squad players each week regardless of experiencing COVID-19 among team personnel.  The four are to be named prior to the game.  Having to call up more practice squad players than that because of COVID would not change the numbers.  However, I suspect that NFL GMs probably would not be out to gut another team's PS.  I think they might refrain from legally poaching another team's PS when that team is dealing with COVID.

• Like (+1) 1