Titans NOW 20 positive Covid tests and Impacts ] updated 10/3

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please keep discussion in this thread narrowly focused on football and directly football-related issues.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

No way do I want the Bills playing them next weekend.

I suspect if the Titans continue to have new players test positive going into the middle of next week, the league would be forced to cancel the game and award Buffalo a forfeit win.

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I suspect if the Titans continue to have new players test positive going into the middle of next week, the league would be forced to cancel the game and award Buffalo a forfeit win.

What is all this nonsense about forfeiture?

What makes anyone think that the NFL is going to forfeit games?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Zero chance that happens.  

We likely play them Week 18 if they can’t play.  

The alternative would be to extend the season.  If the league experiences multiple teams with COVID cases, I could see the league doing that.  I'm not sure they would for one team.  Pro Football Talk is not using the "F" word yet but did state that the Bills Titans game could be in jeopardy.  They report that Judy Battista of the NFL Media stated "the league is 'going to want to see a period where we’re convinced there’s no transmission' before the Titans go back to week (work?)." 

Edited by TigerJ

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Zero chance that happens.  

We likely play them Week 18 if they can’t play.  

The league is going to pursue any redress imaginable before it is going to start forfeiting games! 

That just won't happen.

It seems to me that the league is going to start leveraging Tuesday nights for games when they can, when late positives come in. Won’t always be possible - like if one team has a Thursday game the “next” week. It appears to depend on whether more positives come in over 3 day period. With titans, they did. If it is just cam and the PS player from chiefs, they will play mon or tues 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It seems to me that the league is going to start leveraging Tuesday nights for games when they can, when late positives come in. Won’t always be possible - like if one team has a Thursday game the “next” week. It appears to depend on whether more positives come in over 3 day period. With titans, they did. If it is just cam and the PS player from chiefs, they will play mon or tues 

I would think that’s made easier by the fact that there are few, if any, fans at these games.

While it may be a touch too early for this scenario, they may be best served by getting this weeks games over, then going into a two week shutdown, and reset after, with possibly different protocols. Possibly even to the extent of 'team bubbles', where they are restricted to one hotel.

54 minutes ago, par73 said:

A postponement is becoming more and more likely.

I don't think a postponement will be become necessary, as the team's players have all be separated now since Tuesday. The "spread" cannot actually be happening anymore. The new positives we are getting now are just because of the highly variable incubation period. The new +s should stop by early next week, and then they can move on toward out game without the players who were infected. The only hangup might be if they cannot figure out how the virus got to the team to start. OF COURSE, the NFL may see it a whole other way...

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

While it may be a touch too early for this scenario, they may be best served by getting this weeks games over, then going into a two week shutdown, and reset after, with possibly different protocols. Possibly even to the extent of 'team bubbles', where they are restricted to one hotel.

NFLPA has stated they will not do bubbling.  Since there are clauses where they seem to get paid of season gets cancelled they are not inclined to change that.

Issue is not likely protocols but people not following.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't understand why the Titans have three more positives today. The facility has been closed for 5 days has it not? This is ridiculous!

Incubation period.  Something like that.  I have no clue either.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The league will push back hard against that forfeit "force"

Agreed. I don’t want that to be an option.  I’d hate to have that happen to the Bills.  Extend the season now.  No television schedules matter in 2020 and 2021. Hockey just finished. The Masters is being played in November.  The NBA is still playing last year. Having a longer football season would create some interesting January drama and likely ratings.  Biggest threat to January football would be blizzards. 

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

Agreed. I don’t want that to be an option.  I’d hate to have that happen to the Bills.  Extend the season now.  No television schedules matter in 2020 and 2021. Hockey just finished. The Masters is being played in November.  The NBA is still playing last year. Having a longer football season would create some interesting January drama and likely ratings.  Biggest threat to January football would be blizzards. 

There are probably creative solutions, especially if it isn't every team.  Could have some games played on "neutral ground" as when the Bills had to play in Detroit due to a Buffalo blizzard.  Maybe find some college stadia with NFL-quality facilities.

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

NFLPA has stated they will not do bubbling.  Since there are clauses where they seem to get paid of season gets cancelled they are not inclined to change that.

Issue is not likely protocols but people not following.

There's nothing to stop them renegotiating though, or being asked if they can approach their membership about doing it. If they have only just come out with it (the NFLPA) then you are likely correct, it's a non-starter. But if that was their original position from when they made the first agreement with the NFL, then they might be prepared to talk about it now.

I don't know all the ins and outs of whatever agreement they already have in place, but I'd guess that they won't get their full money in the event of a cancellation, where it's been the players at fault, rather than federal/state issues/rulings, but I honestly don't know.

It might also be the case that the players themselves, now that the proverbial is starting to hit the fan, are more willing to consider some sort of 'bubble' situation, particularly as their game checks are starting to come in.

15 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Not 100% sure but the 18th they are counting probably includes their first round OT pick who has been on the Covid list for over a month now.

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they chill with the positives over the weekend, and we get the game in Sunday, are those guys able to play?  (Assuming they are healthy)

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return when:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

Below are the NFL's protocols for cardiac screening:

• Following a mild, symptomatic infection, a player must complete at least a three-day progressive exercise protocol under the supervision of the team medical staff with appropriate clinical monitoring.
  • Following a moderate to severe infection, a player must complete a progressive exercise protocol for a recommended seven days or for a period equal to twice the duration of the hospitalization.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they chill with the positives over the weekend, and we get the game in Sunday, are those guys able to play?  (Assuming they are healthy)

Unlikely.  Like I have stated in one of these threads, the Titans 1st round pick OT Isiah Wilson has been on their Covid list for over a month now.

Could a few be OK to play, yes BUT none of us can say for sure, it's up to the circumstances of each player.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Following a positive test, if the player is asymptomatic, he can return once:

• 10 days have passed since the initial positive test; OR
  • Five days have passed since the initial positive test and the player receives two consecutive negative PCR virus tests at least 24 hours apart within that five-day period

Following a positive test, if the player demonstrates symptoms, he can return when:

• At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared; AND
  • At least 72 hours have passed since he last experienced symptoms

In either case, a player who tests positive must be cleared by his team's head physician before returning.

Additionally, all players who have tested positive and recovered (or who have tested positive for antibodies) will undergo additional cardiac screening.

Below are the NFL's protocols for cardiac screening:

• Following a mild, symptomatic infection, a player must complete at least a three-day progressive exercise protocol under the supervision of the team medical staff with appropriate clinical monitoring.
  • Following a moderate to severe infection, a player must complete a progressive exercise protocol for a recommended seven days or for a period equal to twice the duration of the hospitalization.

There really should be a separate thread about this that is "pinned" for the rest of the season.  There is going to be hundreds of posts asking this question.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Unlikely.  Like I have stated in one of these threads, the Titans 1st round pick OT Isiah Wilson has been on their Covid list for over a month now.

Could a few be OK to play, yes BUT none of us can say for sure, it's up to the circumstances of each player.

There really should be a separate thread about this that is "pinned" for the rest of the season.  There is going to be hundreds of posts asking this question.

There are also rules for people that had contact with someone that tested positive. (Just in case anyone asks)

Those who are put on the list because they tested negative but were determined to be in close contact with an infected person must follow the following return protocols:

• Second negative test within 24 hours of initial negative test
  • Increased symptom monitoring
  • Eight days of daily virus testing
  • Regular testing schedule thereafter
Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

There are also rules for people that had contact with someone that tested positive. (Just in case anyone asks)

Those who are put on the list because they tested negative but were determined to be in close contact with an infected person must follow the following return protocols:

This is a good point. Not every player placed on the list has tested positive. But, the reports coming out at least in the case of the titans is that they did 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Thanks for adding that.  What some fans are not taking into consideration is that once any of these outbreaks (which can cause a postponed game) subsides

the team will have to field a team the best they can.  That is the reason they added the extra PS/IR rules this season.

The games will go on the best that the league can make happen.  If an extra "make up" week (or 2) are needed so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

All this makes me wonder why the NFL has not come down swift and hard on the Raiders players involved in the fundraiser last Monday. It seems to me that event had every ingredient for irresponsible behavior. Behavior and choices that could put their entire team and their opponents in real harms way. It just makes no sense. The league needs to hammer them with fines and suspensions to set the example. Just saying . . .

Just now, CSBill said:

All this makes me wonder why the NFL has not come down swift and hard on the Raiders players involved in the fundraiser last Monday. It seems to me that event had every ingredient for irresponsible behavior. Behavior and choices that could put their entire team and their opponents in real harms way. It just makes no sense. The league needs to hammer them with fines and suspensions to set the example. Just saying . . .

Based on the CBA, it is the team that is responsible for any fines/suspensions for violation of Covid protocol 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This situation and the situation now arising with the Pats has me concerned about the season. I fully expect all of the people to recover because of the statistics behind the virus, but this could turn into a crapshow real quick if people keep coming up positive as far as navigating through games on the schedule.