Will Epenesa be inactive on Sunday? Interesting scenario

YoloinOhio

Only think is butler has a hammy thing going on so if he’s not ready there is AJ’s active spot 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

With the way McD likes to prioritize vets over rookies, and with no rookie camp or preseason, I could see it. Not the end of the world or AJ's career if so.

For sure.  But I’m sure he will be disappointed 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s funny how things happen. There were people that were ADAMANT that the Bills would have taken AJE in the 1st round if they had a pick. Imagine if that were the case and he wasn’t active week 1?!? Epenesa fell into the Bills’ lap but he wasn’t on top of their board heading into day 2. He’s a role player and that’s fine. He will work his way onto the field and be a solid all-around player. This isn’t some athletic freak though that we should expect double-digit sacks from. He’s kind of like Shaq. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Its unofficial, smoke and mirrors fellas, smoke and mirrors... SM playing his cards close. 😁

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny how things happen. There were people that were ADAMANT that the Bills would have taken AJE in the 1st round if they had a pick. Imagine if that were the case and he wasn’t active week 1?!? Epenesa fell into the Bills’ lap but he wasn’t on top of their board heading into day 2. He’s a role player and that’s fine. He will work his way onto the field and be a solid all-around player. This isn’t some athletic freak though that we should expect double-digit sacks from. He’s kind of like Shaq. 

What are the odds some national guy will pick up this and say Epenesa is already a "bust" for the Bills?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Its unofficial, smoke and mirrors fellas, smoke and mirrors... SM playing his cards close. 😁

Go Bills!!!

You know it Don!

One thing for sure is how many of these Special Teams players dress the first game?  All of them?

Five need to sit out.

Easy ones

1.  Fromm

2.  Yeldon

3.  OL 

4.  Probably a TE - So is that Gilliam or Lee Smith?

5.  One D player - I got no clue who that will be!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What are the odds some national guy will pick up this and say Epenesa is already a "bust" for the Bills?

It’s more of a local story. I don’t think too many National guys are concerned about the Buffalo Bills 2nd round pick in a season with SO many bigger stories.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Winters and AJE/Johnson

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

That would be surprising, but looking at the depth chart makes it less so. Wonder when we'll get a look at him. 

I’d note that the depth chart is unofficial. Not saying it isn’t accurate, but it’s not from someone who would have access to the team’s official depth chart. 

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d note that the depth chart is unofficial. Not saying it isn’t accurate, but it’s not from someone who would have access to the team’s official depth chart. 

I get what youre saying, but it also matches what the Bills published on their site: https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Sure, some things might change, but I'd be surprised if McD was trying to play 4D chess by listing our rookie DE as 3rd string and then starting him.

I think it's more likely we are over-reacting to what 3rd DE means when they have a constant rotation, and AJ still may see more playing time than we expect.

Who knows.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get what youre saying, but it also matches what the Bills published on their site: https://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart

Sure, some things might change, but I'd be surprised if McD was trying to play 4D chess by listing our rookie DE as 3rd string and then starting him.

That’s fair.  Just saying don’t take everything on it as gospel.  It literally says “unofficial” on it.  Those initial depth charts usually come from the marketing department or team writers.  Usually close, but not perfect. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Dobbins is listed as 4th string RB on raven depth chart and I doubt that’s really the case. Maybe more of rookie positioning 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s more of a local story. I don’t think too many National guys are concerned about the Buffalo Bills 2nd round pick in a season with SO many bigger stories.

Winters and AJE/Johnson

I agree, i think the only ones who will notice are us

44 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I mean, if your top pick isn't dressing, that is unquestionably abnormal and is not a great sign.

In this case it shows how good and deep the DLine is on this team. Possibly the best unit top to bottom in the NFL even without Star playing.

Makes sense with him being a rookie and there is so much experience ahead of him, plus no preseason to evaluate him and get him up to speed.

But I sure hope they have him active later on to get some experience.

I think different things motivate different people. I find it disconcerting that AJ couldn't beat out someone who was an UDFA last year. I also remember his combine interview with the team where he said he believes that everything has to be earned. Could be he is 3rd string, could be the coaches know him and want him motivated to earn his way up the depth chart. Rookies are going to have a hard year this year because of the lack of a preseason. My guess is you're going to see a lot of early picks peppered in throughout the game but deferring to vets when it comes to starting. 

Is anyone else concerned that Cody Ford is starting at two line positions?  I thought he struggled at times playing just Right Tackle.  I really don't think Ford should be responsible for 2 or 3 linemen/pass rushers on any given play at this point in his development.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think you will see Gilliam and McKitrick sitting also.  I think with limited preseason they are going to want more of the big guys as they work themselves into full game shape. 

They are short on LBs and all the back-ups are good on ST and I think a heavy rotation on the DLine is needed.  May even see some rotation on the OLine to make sure everyone is 100%.  I think they would be fine sitting a #4 TE and a #6 WR.

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You know it Don!

One thing for sure is how many of these Special Teams players dress the first game?  All of them?

Five need to sit out.

Easy ones

1.  Fromm

2.  Yeldon

3.  OL 

4.  Probably a TE - So is that Gilliam or Lee Smith?

5.  One D player - I got no clue who that will be!

I'm no so certain Yeldon is an easy one.  Last year they dressed an extra running back slot with DeMarco.  With him gone will they instead dress  all three plus Jones for ST

I think both AJ and Gillaim sit out the first couple weeks, but by late October they'll be active.  Gilliam for ST and AJ based on talent and good chance by then one of the other lineman will be nicked up to some level.  If Gilliam is any good at blocking, could see him taking over Smiths spot.

9 O-Lineman on the roster so can only sit out a total of one.

Finally MCD let the cat out of the bag on where Ford will be lining up on the line!  I know we've all been waiting on that decision

Remember, this coaching staff is very cognizant of the rookie wall and don't overuse rookies early in the season (Ford, Oliver and Singletary last year for example). Looks like Ford is still going to be rotating with Nsekhe, but instead of sitting, will play right guard when Ty is on the field.

You'd much rather have AJE be fresh the second half of the season, which is when the hardest stretch of the schedule is too.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Yeldon, Boettger, Gilliam, LB Phillips, and J. Johnson shouldn't dress.

This is easy.

With no preseason, all 9 DL need to dress to keep them fresh. Case closed.

Jaquan Johnson? He’s the leader of the ST unit according to the ST coach 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2