Will Epenesa be inactive on Sunday? Interesting scenario

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kyle Dugger was their day 2 target but he went off the board before they picked.

I’m hoping this is a rare one they got wrong, since....you know....he went to the Evil Empire*. 

I also hope he rips Gilmore’s helmet off when he gets pointed at after Diggs beats Gilmore like a drum!   :)

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think you will see Gilliam and McKitrick sitting also.  I think with limited preseason they are going to want more of the big guys as they work themselves into full game shape. 

They are short on LBs and all the back-ups are good on ST and I think a heavy rotation on the DLine is needed.  May even see some rotation on the OLine to make sure everyone is 100%.  I think they would be fine sitting a #4 TE and a #6 WR.

Don't think McKitrick is sitting. Jet sweeps against Jets is love.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Remember, this coaching staff is very cognizant of the rookie wall and don't overuse rookies early in the season (Ford, Oliver and Singletary last year for example). Looks like Ford is still going to be rotating with Nsekhe, but instead of sitting, will play right guard when Ty is on the field.

You'd much rather have AJE be fresh the second half of the season, which is when the hardest stretch of the schedule is too.

Singletary and Oliver both started the first game of the season and played 70% of the snaps. Ford did start and split snaps and played about 60% in the first game. 

That is quite a bit different than being either 3rd string or not even dressing for the game. That is not a rookie wall type of thing. 

34 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m hoping this is a rare one they got wrong, since....you know....he went to the Evil Empire*. 

I also hope he rips Gilmore’s helmet off when he gets pointed at after Diggs beats Gilmore like a drum!   :)

I was wondering if they looked at Dugger as Milano’s replacement? He could have played some this year and then taken over next year.

• Like (+1) 2

It wouldn't surprise me if this wound up being almost a redshirt season for Epenesa.

In the second half of the year, start dressing him and getting him some reps.

This offseason has been anything but normal, and the lack of preseason action may be a big loss for rookie defensive linemen.

The Bills are in the rare (for them) and envious position of not actually urgently needing Epenesa to contribute right away, so if they want to let him learn from the bench for a little while, so be it.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Butler over Phillips makes sense.

its not all that far out thinking.
But if he is truly healthy ? i do not think McD would .

Consider whom Bills are playing. It must be a Defensive Coordinators dream game
all new O line for Darnold.
 bad things man. bad things.

Hughes gets two and two more up the middle.
 and then ? Pressured turnovers perhaps.
 But AJ might well sit and watch and learn how it is done if the Bills have to not dress  a D lineman

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

Don't think McKitrick is sitting. Jet sweeps against Jets is love.

no funny business please.

just grind it . no turnovers this time 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny how things happen. There were people that were ADAMANT that the Bills would have taken AJE in the 1st round if they had a pick. Imagine if that were the case and he wasn’t active week 1?!? Epenesa fell into the Bills’ lap but he wasn’t on top of their board heading into day 2. He’s a role player and that’s fine. He will work his way onto the field and be a solid all-around player. This isn’t some athletic freak though that we should expect double-digit sacks from. He’s kind of like Shaq. 

Epenesa steady.  Shaq a bit erratic!

I could see see him dressing or sitting.  Epenesa doesnt need to come on until injury or November.  No OTA, no preseason.  I think he is a guy who performs in games.  At the end of the day all they have had is practice.  I think you dress him to see what hes got.  Even for a series or 2 to get some tape and feel.  I dont think you can dress enough pass rushers.  The beautiful thing is we dont need him to play.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Epenesa steady.  Shaq a bit erratic!

Not Shaq of the last year and a half. He was arguably the most consistent player on that DL. That’s who I expect/hope Epenesa is. If he is a dependable rotational player he will be a good pick. Play the run well and get some pressure. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s funny how things happen. There were people that were ADAMANT that the Bills would have taken AJE in the 1st round if they had a pick. Imagine if that were the case and he wasn’t active week 1?!? Epenesa fell into the Bills’ lap but he wasn’t on top of their board heading into day 2. He’s a role player and that’s fine. He will work his way onto the field and be a solid all-around player. This isn’t some athletic freak though that we should expect double-digit sacks from. He’s kind of like Shaq. 

I didn’t get the pick. Still don’t. I think he can be very productive on this team. But I would not be shocked if he had a Chris Kelsey like career/role here. Not great at anything but very good at everything. He will never blow us out. Gets enough sacks and stops the run enough to stick around forever and not replace, but never elite or a true cornerstone. 

Just my guess, and I am not married to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I didn’t get the pick. Still don’t. I think he can be very productive on this team. But I would not be shocked if he had a Chris Kelsey like career/role here. Not great at anything but very good at everything. He will never blow us out. Gets enough sacks and stops the run enough to stick around forever and not replace, but never elite or a true cornerstone. 

Just my guess, and I am not married to it. 

I actually think that’s best case.  I personally would not have picked him.  I feel the better picks would have been Dobbins (raw talent), OT, CB, WR, LB before a relatively limited DE.  He got by on strength against boys, but this is a mans league, he’s going to have to be quicker and add some moves to be much of anything in the NFL.  I’m not saying he can’t/won’t be more, but I saw a less twitchy Shaq Lawson.  To me, that’s not enough to spend a 2nd round pick on.  

Then again, I don’t think Beane has been all that and a bag of chips in the draft, he has hit on exactly 0 picks thus far.  Everyone is still obsessed with the potential he’s picked, but Allen, Edmunds, Oliver are all just that so far, none are anywhere near the top tier of their positions and all cost a lot.  The last great pick was DW’s with Tre and that’s debatable in comparison with Maholmes or Watson sitting in your lap.  This year will basically define Beane as both Edmunds and Allen have to show up big time and E.O. Needs to be more than a rotation guy as well.   I get the distinct feeling Moss may be the big winner for him to be really honest.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Singletary and Oliver both started the first game of the season and played 70% of the snaps. Ford did start and split snaps and played about 60% in the first game. 

That is quite a bit different than being either 3rd string or not even dressing for the game. That is not a rookie wall type of thing. 

The heck are you talking about?! Singletary had four carries week 1 last year and was very lightly used the first half of the season even before the hamstring injury:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/player/gamelogs/2019/2241251/devin-singletary

• Like (+1) 1