Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about everything. I have season tickets and sit next to some great people that I won't be able to sit near this year, if they allow fans back. And all the political BS just brings all the fun out of everything nowadays. But I'm really gonna miss stopping at the East Aurora Tops after the games to pick up my stuffed banana peppers on the way back to Rochester. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about everything. I have season tickets and sit next to some great people that I won't be able to sit near this year, if they allow fans back. And all the political BS just brings all the fun out of everything nowadays. But I'm really gonna miss stopping at the East Aurora Tops after the games to pick up my stuffed banana peppers on the way back to Rochester. 

you can still go to Tops... they’re open for business!

In 2016, the NFL permitted (then reversed a decision for) players to kneel on-field during the National Anthem.  Attendance decreased and the league blamed it on a presidential election.  In 2017, the league bought some peace with a sizable donation to the Players Coalition to address social justice issues.    

Now, the league is playing something that isn't the National Anthem in week 1, moving away from singing the National Anthem,  permitting players to kneel again, making larger donations to certain organizations, and allowing players to wear apparel to celebrate these movements.  

We are going to find out how fans react.    

1 hour ago, eball said:

So this is the thread for racists and racist sympathizers?  Got it. 

I love football, the Bills, and ALL people. I’m super excited for the season and can’t wait. 

On what basis do you reserve the right to brand people as "racists and racist sympathizers?"  

I don't respond to any of your posts as a rule, but must make an exception to this one.  You have no idea who the vast majority of people are who post on this board and do not have the responsibility to judge anyone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Politics and the people butt hurt over the flag  and anthem are extremely annoying but all I have to do is mute or change the channel and it’s all good again. 

I will be cranking tunes, got no time for any human interest stories, especially this year. :) 

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

In 2016, the NFL permitted (then reversed a decision for) players to kneel on-field during the National Anthem.  Attendance decreased and the league blamed it on a presidential election.  In 2017, the league bought some peace with a sizable donation to the Players Coalition to address social justice issues.    

Now, the league is playing something that isn't the National Anthem in week 1, moving away from singing the National Anthem,  permitting players to kneel again, making larger donations to certain organizations, and allowing players to wear apparel to celebrate these movements.  

We are going to find out how fans react.    

On what basis do you reserve the right to brand people as "racists and racist sympathizers?"  

I don't respond to any of your posts as a rule, but must make an exception to this one.  You have no idea who the vast majority of people are who post on this board and do not have the responsibility to judge anyone.  

They shouldn’t play or sing the anthem at sporting events at all.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm more apprehensive but just as engagesd and enthusiastic as I have been in past years. This team is loaded on paper. But there are serious question marks about Allen, the pass rush, the right side of the o-line, and McD game day decisions. Every team has question marks going into a season. Next year I just want to be able to say Allen is the future and he is a feanchise QB. That is all that matters in 2020. 

2 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

This BLM BS has me not wanting to watch any football at all.  The only games I plan on watching this year are the two Jet games, which I'm obligated to because of very close friends, and the Super Bowl if we get there. 

Aside from that, I'm out on this season and have zero respect for the commissioner and the league for supporting such BS and funneling it down my throat.  No thanks. 

The racism is strong in this one....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

football is 9 days away!!?? That is nuts!!

i do think the buildup hasn’t been there due to no TC and preseason, and risk of covid hanging over the season. But hopefully the normal excitement returns once they kickoff.

This is where I'm at. Not only covid-19, no preseason to get us amped, training camp, plus the election  political stuff happening has dampened my enthusiam for most everything including football... Also for me personally I had killer seats lined up for the Phoenix away game..those plans went POOF....SMH

Ive been a diehard since the early 70's as soon as I actually SEE some Bills football (especially this team) Im sure my enthusiasm will return. It will be a very welcome distraction and free NFL Sunday ticket -)))))) woooooooot!!!

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

So this is the thread for racists and racist sympathizers?  Got it. 

I love football, the Bills, and ALL people. I’m super excited for the season and can’t wait. 

Dude you have to be just trolling people. Nobody’s actually as dumb as you appear to be. But to answer the OPs question, it’s going to suck seeing other teams have fans at the games while we can’t. Thanks to our DBag governor. 

Edited by Southern Bills Fan

I am as excited as ever about the season, though a bit less engaged.  The lack of pre-season games really hurts. I may be one of the few people who actually enjoys them.  As someone who moved away from WNY back in 1988, not being able to attend games isn't that big a deal to me peronally, though I understand the pains it causes for some. I had season tickets from 1980- 1987, and going to those games are still some of the best times I have had.  Now, I get to make it to one game a year, most seasons. Maybe another road game, if the Bills travel down my way.

As for the politics, I pretty much support the players and the leagues messaging, so that isn't really affecting my anticipation.  I also like the NBA, and have really been enjoying the "bubble playoffs", even though it is a little bit of an adjusment.  The quality of the play has been really good.  It is weird at first, but once you just start following the flow of the game, you forget that there isn't a real audience on hand.

Where I notice my lack of engagement most, however, is with Fanatasy Football.  I used to love it...this year, I am still playing out of obligation..but I haven't followed off-season moves by teams around the league near as much as I normally would.  I have my big money leauge draft next Tuesday night, and I have no desire to prepare for it at all...I used to sit and watch pre-season games from all over the league, while i prepared for the draft, and made notes...not this year.  

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

During my wife's two year cancer surgery and treatment ordeal, 2017-19, the NFL wasn't important then.

Now it is even less important. But I follow.....

DVR's wonderful to watch games fast, FF doesn't require viewing to play. With that, ain't missing a thing.

Edited by I am the egg man

The only thing worse than 4 preseason games is 0 preseason games.  It's sort of like going to a movie theater to watch a well made comedy.  The movie is funnier if you can share that emotion with a multitude of fellow movie goers.  There is no emotional connection to the preseason with the way this was handled and the Bills Manhatten Project type secrecy has not helped.   I hope that once the games start that changes but it seems more than likely it will be just another example of where nothing can be fully enjoyed, if it can be enjoyed at all.  

3 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

During my wife's two year cancer surgery and treatment ordeal, 2017-19, the NFL wasn't important then.

DVR is a wonderful to watch games fast, FF doesn't require viewing to play. With that, I ain't missing a thing.

This puts everything into perspective, doesn’t it? I hope and pray all goes well for you and yours going forward. 

After that...........comes stuff like I hope the Bills have a great season. Don’t get me wrong, it’s important to me, but FAR from #1. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

DVR is a wonderful to watch games fast, FF doesn't require viewing to play. With that, I ain't missing a thing.

Egg man, I’m sorry about you’re wife.  I hope it worked out, but thanks for sharing.  Football is a nice release and love it, but it’s just a game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Done with the NFL until they stop sending money to Black Lives Matter, so that pretty much means I'm done with the NFL, and other major professional sports for a very long time.

They can send money to other organizations that help those communities, and I will be fully supportive.

Until then, I don't care if the Bills play in the Super Bowl, I won't be following it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Prickly Pete said:

Done with the NFL until they stop sending money to Black Lives Matter, so that pretty much means I'm done with the NFL, and other major professional sports for a very long time.

They can send money to other organizations that help those communities, and I will be fully supportive.

Until then, I don't care if the Bills play in the Super Bowl, I won't be following it.

Well Pete, you are indeed Prickly.   :)

I honestly don’t know the answer to this: has the NFL actually sent any money the the organization that is Black Lives Matter? Or have they just supported the obvious philosophy that black lives matter. These are two very different things. 

I happen to believe that an intact nuclear family improves the likelihood of success for children. Marcellus indicates BLM (the organization) disagrees, so there needs to be a distinction between the obvious and the bogus organization which is collecting money from those unaware of the difference. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I honestly don’t know the answer to this: has the NFL actually sent any money the the organization that is Black Lives Matter? Or have they just supported the obvious philosophy that black lives matter. These are two very different things. 

I happen to believe that an intact nuclear family improves the likelihood of success for children. Marcellus indicates BLM (the organization) disagrees, so there needs to be a distinction between the obvious and the bogus organization which is collecting money from those unaware of the difference. 

Well said on all fronts.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Okay, let's say "Until I hear them disavow Black Lives Matter the organization, I won't watch".

Many (most?) of the players certainly donate and openly support BLM. 

***** em.

Edited by Prickly Pete

It'll happen. Right now, no, I'm not that into the NFL. I was the same way when the NBA and NHL restarted. With the NBA in particular it was weird -- weird semi-pro courts, different TV angles, play that often resembled the preseason as most teams didn't care too much about seeding (there's no home court advantage to play for). But then the playoffs hit, the intensity went up, and pretty soon it seemed like the same old NBA playoffs only better -- better because it's not like I can choose to tune out and go to a movie or a concert. And assuming the NFL doesn't have a lengthy COVID-related pause/shutdown, I can only assume that I'll get into it before too long. 

We will see how a lack of preseason conditioning and practice goes. No preseason games , will covid take out key players during season , will there be more or less injuries  due to this major change in preparation. 

8 hours ago, Cal said:

Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

No.

And it's not political BS. It appears to be a slow march towards more justice. It is more complicated than that, but overall things are moving in a good direction.

The season will develop just fine as stories develop, assuming the season can continue completely.

1 hour ago, Prickly Pete said:

Okay, let's say "Until I hear them disavow Black Lives Matter the organization, I won't watch".

***** em.

See ya.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

Dude you have to be just trolling people. Nobody’s actually as dumb as you appear to be. But to answer the OPs question, it’s going to suck seeing other teams have fans at the games while we can’t. Thanks to our DBag governor. 

Nah, more thanks to the NFL allowing competitive disadvantages to go forward. Our governor is making sense in this. No guarantee he or any other politician will continue to do so, but so far he's doing fine.

8 hours ago, RiotAct said:

very excited about the direction the team is headed.  

No fans at a majority of the games (all the home games, plus several of the road ones) will be a little weird though... fake noise / CGI fans or not.  But, I’ll probably get used to it.

VR cameras strategically placed around the stadium and being able to connect to your VR device would be kinda cool. Although I'm sure there would be a ton of logistics to work out. I don't know enough about VR tech to know if it's even possible. Just sounds cool. 

9 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly go watch NASCAR and UFC and conspiracy videos on Facebook.  No one cares.  If you feel triggered by the politics of the people who entertain you then just don’t pay for the product.  Why is it that the same folks who want athletes to “shut up and play” can’t “shut up and leave”?  

BRAVO!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Haven't watched 10 seconds of Baseball, Hockey or Basketball this year. 

The excitement for football is at an all time low for me with games just about a week out. I will watch the Bills and support 100% like i have since 1983. The excitement will build once they are on the field again I hope. 

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I already tune out sports radio as soon as BLM garbage is brought up, I'll do the same with the NFL if they try my patience.

So, are you are saying "just shut up and pick the cotton"? 

Edited by cd1

Who knows if the players just won’t walk out because they are mad about something that happened in the country?

I no longer will buy tickets to attend any sporting event. Why would I when the event might not happen because of things out of my control?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Prickly Pete said:

***** em.

Yet here you still are, on a football message board, yammering endlessly about how disengaged you are...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't wait for football, can't wait to see not only Josh's continued development but the coaches and the team as a whole, I'm ******* excited. It has been a bad year where I'm from in Australia, my little town was right in the thick of the bushfires and then floods and I just read that US asked for firefighters to help with your fires going on at the moment, It's scary S***. Add Covid and the racial and political division in the US that makes up 95% of the news, I'm mostly excited for the distraction from all the bad news that football will give me.

• Like (+1) 2