Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

26 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This is what so many fail to understand, they don't want to hear it and wind up just spewing canned talking points.

I just want it to cover all not just what some would rather it cover and leave out some very important parts of the conversation is all add to that that football is suppose to be a form of  "entertainment" i want to be entertained & not continually bombarded with all the normal stuff you here all week long on the radio & TV .

Kind of a "Calgon take me away" time !

We all need a break from time to time from the every day that's all i'm saying and football was that for me and many others !

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is exactly right. The worry is it has started, or had pre-Covid, to seep into personnel connections as well. The number of people I have spoken to in the least 2 or 3 years who have been like "well I can't be around my cousin now because he thinks X" or "I went on a date with this guy and it was going fine but then they said they support Y". And the experiences I mention are from people in a range of different political positions. We are becoming more and more insulated in our own bubbles as humans. When did we decide you couldn't be friends with people who disagreed with you? When did we decide that diverse perspectives was a bad thing? It's terrifying for the future of the species.

I mentioned in the other week in the Fromm thread.... I am firmly an atheist. One of my best friends on this planet is a pretty devout Catholic. We disagree on some of the most fundamental things about human existence. That doesn't mean we can't share a glass of wine and B word about people at work. Or eat pizza and watch a Netflix boxset together. Or go on holiday and get drunk and sunburnt together. My cousin is a strident right wing free marketer. There isn't a single economic principle we share. Yet the 3 or 4 times a year when I at home we have the best nights in the pub together drinking and debating. That is surely what makes life interesting? This increasing need to surround ourselves only with people who think like ourselves.... it is disturbing.

In my life away from here, I have several friends who are GREAT friends with whom I share little in the way of political convictions.

We have an agreement, we just don't talk about it. At all.

It works.

I don't know Coach Tuesday from adam, but I'm damned sure I wouldn't enjoy his company. He seems truly miserable to be around.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

In my life away from here, I have several friends who are GREAT friends with whom I share little in the way of political convictions.

We have an agreement, we just don't talk about it. At all.

It works.

I don't know Coach Tuesday from adam, but I'm damned sure I wouldn't enjoy his company. He seems truly miserable to be around.

See I think even not being able to talk about it is sad. If it works for you fair enough, but to have whole categories of issue you can't talk about with someone who takes a different view.... I don't think ultimately that is good for furthering the understanding of humanity. It is fine to disagree. It is healthy to disagree. I don't understand why people can't disagree respectfully anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't understand why people can't disagree respectfully anymore

This isn't new. It's just that people from totally different backgrounds and communities didn't used to congregate together. The internet has changed everything. Liberals were surprised to see Trump win the presidency because they didn't understand rural American values. Rural America is shocked to see protests that occasionally turn violent because they don't understand what it's like to be a black person in a city. I don't think the country has actually become more polarized, but now the poles are able to talk to each other online.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This isn't new. It's just that people from totally different backgrounds and communities didn't used to congregate together. The internet has changed everything. Liberals were surprised to see Trump win the presidency because they didn't understand rural American values. Rural America is shocked to see protests that occasionally turn violent because they don't understand what it's like to be a black person in a city. I don't think the country has actually become more polarized, but now the poles are able to talk to each other online.

I don't know the social history of America to know if that fully explains it, but I don't think it explains it in the UK. We are a much smaller country we have been much more used to the cities mixing with the shires over the last 50 years.

1 hour ago, Gene1973 said:

I guess I'd need a time machine to do a proper study. Can't acurately perform the study from within the current civilization framework IMO. I'm sure peasants were angry about the king sometimes, but they didn't have a lot of time on their hands to tweet about it...

Social media is a catalyst for anger magnification, and free time is the continuum in which said anger resides.

So are you lobbying to bring back feudalism. I gotta say, that is not on my TBD hot takes bingo card. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Prickly Pete said:

Done with the NFL until they stop sending money to Black Lives Matter, so that pretty much means I'm done with the NFL, and other major professional sports for a very long time.

They can send money to other organizations that help those communities, and I will be fully supportive.

Until then, I don't care if the Bills play in the Super Bowl, I won't be following it.

Won’t be following but is on a message board that is pretty much all about an NFL team and the NFL. Interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The problem is that they DON'T talk to each other online.  They talk AT each other online, and TO like-minded sub-communities.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Prickly Pete said:

Okay, let's say "Until I hear them disavow Black Lives Matter the organization, I won't watch".

Many (most?) of the players certainly donate and openly support BLM. 

***** em.

You need every organization with no affiliation with BLM to disavow the organization before you leave the house again?  Good luck!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Well, at least @Coach Tuesday and the Left aren’t pretending anymore that they dont hate our country. 

Or some people love the country enough to try to make sure it lives up to its ideals instead of blindly following. Um, can we get back to talking about football?

• Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The problem is that they DON'T talk to each other online.  They talk AT each other online, and TO like-minded sub-communities.

Yes but the fringes of society never talked to each other at all before. If they had, it would have been just as polarized then. I tend to think most Americans are moderate and that social media makes things appear worse than they really are.

Its funny how many of the people who are arguing about there being too much politics in football and how they want an oasis are bringing politics to this football conversation board.

Anyway, between the Bills looking like SB contenders for the first time in two decades and the yearning for a distraction from everything that is 2020 and cabin fever, I'm about as into this season as I've ever been. I'll admit there's a bit of an odd detached feeling with the lack of pre-season and info -- and I don't get the last part as while it is a sport and I understand trying to get every advantage you can, it is ultimately there for entertainment and hiding an already action-light pre-season activity from the public seems silly, but I'm excited for Saturday to see who makes it, who gets to PS and if players I've liked but don't really deserve to make the team (Duke, Robert Foster) are still in the Bills family or get their shots elsewhere. And you know I'll be excited a week from Sunday and rooting as hard as ever.

As for the lack of fans, it won't hurt the Bills -- they were 6-2 on the road, and we all saw how this team fed on the opposing teams' fans. We're "Renegades"!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I will be in my basement screaming on opening day as always, but there are parts that have me saddened for the upcoming season.  One is that I am in an elevated risk group for Covid, so I won't be going down to Orlando to Kitty O'Shea's to watch a few games with my daughter and the the other crazies down there.  I also wanted to do a trip to the Rich because my daughter has never seen a game live, and I wanted her to experience that.  As for the other stuff, the league and owners say it's OK for players to express their concerns about what's going on in our country, and I'm fine with that.  Some may kneel, some may not.  It's America; you get to do that.  And the two minutes or so they do so during the anthem does not affect the game itself.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm less invested than I'd normally be at this time of year. I'd usually have a camp trip, and be following roster moves more closely.

But once the season starts in 10 days, I'll be all-in again. For as long as it lasts at least.

I really miss the extensive camp write-ups (was it GunnerBill or Astro or...) which would go through every element of every play of 11-on-11, 7-on-7, etc. Whoever did those -- while I'm sorry I forget who it was -- thanks and know they are missed. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I really don't see what Poland has to do with this discussion.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I really miss the extensive camp write-ups (was it GunnerBill or Astro or...) which would go through every element of every play of 11-on-11, 7-on-7, etc. Whoever did those -- while I'm sorry I forget who it was -- thanks and know they are missed. 

Was Astro.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yes but the fringes of society never talked to each other at all before. If they had, it would have been just as polarized then. I tend to think most Americans are moderate and that social media makes things appear worse than they really are.

That last bit is a fact.   Political power mongering organizations paint the opposing party as radical to scare their half of the bell curve to vote. 

Social media has made it easier to organize. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

I have gone from being a fan to more like just being curious.  Won't be the end of the world to not catch a game now and then.  I was a season ticket guy for 30some years, dropped a couple of years ago.  The political stuff turns me off, I always went for the football. (didn't care about the Jills either, don't miss them at all)  Political statement and T&A are not what I am interested in.......

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

This BLM BS has me not wanting to watch any football at all.  The only games I plan on watching this year are the two Jet games, which I'm obligated to because of very close friends, and the Super Bowl if we get there. 

Aside from that, I'm out on this season and have zero respect for the commissioner and the league for supporting such BS and funneling it down my throat.  No thanks. 

I can completely understand how you feel. And here is the thing: When it comes to the political angle to sports, this isn't about 'oh I dont agree with them Im Republican' there is no balance at all: Sports recently has generally proven they are siding with the far left, and pretty strongly.

All we want is balance folks. And to enjoy sports. This should not be this difficult.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, 716er said:

There is not a far left party with any power in America. 

Nor is there a far right party with power.  The bulk of the population is somewhere in the middle, some leaning more liberal on certain issues and vice versa.  But the loons on the fringes of both sides yell the loudest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Prickly Pete said:

Okay, let's say "Until I hear them disavow Black Lives Matter the organization, I won't watch".

Many (most?) of the players certainly donate and openly support BLM. 

***** em.

Sadly, I bet many do not know the difference between the concept and the organization. That’s terrible, but I bet it’s true. 

Edited by Augie

...Yeah.  I'm more excited than ever for this season.

Sure, I don't like politicizing anything, or not being able to be at games. However, neither are avoidable at this point, and I wouldn't expect as large an operation as the NFL to ignore racism or a global pandemic. Some issues permeate all of society- even sports (I don't know why sports would be untouchable, anyway). I don't have a problem with Armed Forces Month observance; Breast Cancer Awareness Month observance; 9/11 ceremonies; employing security guards to prevent drunk people from entering the stadium with guns and, potentially, killing people; etc. 

Certainly, none of that gets in the way of my excitement for football. I'd give mine and @Logic's firstborns for a Bills Super Bowl win. Who TF wouldn't?

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

This BLM BS has me not wanting to watch any football at all.  The only games I plan on watching this year are the two Jet games, which I'm obligated to because of very close friends, and the Super Bowl if we get there. 

Aside from that, I'm out on this season and have zero respect for the commissioner and the league for supporting such BS and funneling it down my throat.  No thanks. 

Of all the things to turn people off to their favorite sport is a movement that asks for equal treatment in society.  The horror. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

...Yeah.  I'm more excited than ever for this season.

Sure, I don't like politicizing anything, or not being able to be at games. However, neither are avoidable at this point, and I wouldn't expect as large an operation as the NFL to ignore racism or a global pandemic. Some issues permeate all of society- even sports (I don't know why sports would be untouchable, anyway). I don't have a problem with Armed Forces Month observance; Breast Cancer Awareness Month observance; 9/11 ceremonies; employing security guards to prevent drunk people from entering the stadium with guns and, potentially, killing people; etc. 

Certainly, none of that gets in the way of my excitement for football. I'd give mine and @Logic's firstborns for a Bills Super Bowl win. Who TF wouldn't?

Willing to give away other people’s babies...now THAT’S fan hood!

29 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I can completely understand how you feel. And here is the thing: When it comes to the political angle to sports, this isn't about 'oh I dont agree with them Im Republican' there is no balance at all: Sports recently has generally proven they are siding with the far left, and pretty strongly.

All we want is balance folks. And to enjoy sports. This should not be this difficult.

It's weird you don't see the irony of asking for "balance" when that's exactly what the movement and players are asking for from our society. 

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Nor is there a far right party with power.  The bulk of the population is somewhere in the middle, some leaning more liberal on certain issues and vice versa.  But the loons on the fringes of both sides yell the loudest.

Um,  what now?

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Willing to give away other people’s babies...now THAT’S fan hood!

"Yeah, sure, it's adorable.  Looks just like you. ...and it's going to the Football Gods.  Sorry, I know your baby is 'important' and all, but this is SERIOUS."

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Haha (+1) 1