Is anyone else less invested in this season than normal?

Cal

This is the best team the Bills have fielded in 25 years, so I am more excited about watching them play than maybe ever. I think we all need the distraction of sports now more than ever as well.

Tempering my enthusiasm, however, is the thought that the season will probably be over within three weeks of it starting. We have seen multiple COVID cancellations in baseball - how are they going to play football games without outbreaks? I just don't see it going very far. I hope nobody dies. 

Edited by skibum

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

On what basis do you reserve the right to brand people as "racists and racist sympathizers?"  

I don't respond to any of your posts as a rule, but must make an exception to this one.  You have no idea who the vast majority of people are who post on this board and do not have the responsibility to judge anyone.  

Eh.  Go blow it out your arse.  If somebody doesn’t want to watch football because they “don’t want to see” some slogans in the end zone or have announcers discuss social justice issues there’s something going on there.  Call it what you want.  I think I know what it is.

Oh, and p.s. — if you think I care what you and your pessimistic, negative persona think about me you’re as delusional as I’ve imagined.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

......and yes, I'm not less invested. 

Have been playing 3 $100 FF teams and a $1000 Super Bowl square going into 2nd decade.  

It hit the 1st year I bought it, in the 1st quarter for $12,500, losing money since. Wife says quit.

But I won't. I love the NFL, warts as all.

Smart wife.  I never gamble as the house always wins to use an old phrase

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

One has to wonder, are there more angry people in the world today (percentage-wise ofc due to there being more people) or, are we just aware of more angry people due to the scurge that is social media?

I don't know for sure but, I think it's more angry people today I would guess

Just now, Gene1973 said:

It's possible, but is it better to have a population that has the free time and financial freedom to be angry, or a population thay has no time or financial freedom to be angry? Which is a more advanced civilization?

I don't think that matters. People will always find the time to be angry about something. 

The inability of people over 55 to apply critical thinking skills to content they encounter on Facebook is a huge reason for the mess we find ourselves in.  That generation came of age with the dawn of mass-produced television and they learned at an early age to believe whatever the box told them.  It has not translated well.

Facebook + Baby Boomers = Chaos

And if you don’t believe me I will show you my mom’s Facebook feed.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I think the bigger issue is the pollution of academia with Marxist ideals. It's to the point now that grade school and high school teachers were trying to ban parents from watching their kids' remote learning. They didn't want the kids' parents to witness the brainwashing...

Fiction.  And you’ve never met an actual Marxist.  They are basically a myth.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I think the bigger issue is the pollution of academia with Marxist ideals. It's to the point now that grade school and high school teachers were trying to ban parents from watching their kids' remote learning. They didn't want the kids' parents to witness the brainwashing...

Yikes-you say something like that and accuse the other side of being brainwashed?

• Like (+1) 6

21 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Not sure hunter-gatherers or feudal peasants had much time to be angry.

If we think things are bad now, just wait until the UBI era of civilization...

Of course they will still have got angry... but it will have been about different things. It will have been about the bloke next door trying to grow crops on his field and that sort of thing. Being angry isn't new. It is a human emotion.

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Fiction.  And you’ve never met an actual Marxist.  They are basically a myth.

I have been accused of being a Marxist plenty. I am not. Even Marx had some bad ideas.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly go watch NASCAR and UFC and conspiracy videos on Facebook.  No one cares.  If you feel triggered by the politics of the people who entertain you then just don’t pay for the product.  Why is it that the same folks who want athletes to “shut up and play” can’t “shut up and leave”?  

We have.  Maybe you need to wake up and pay more attention. 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You have!?  You’re still here, talking about leaving.  BYE!

Apparently reading comprehension is a problem for you as well. 

I said I'm not watching football with the exception of 2, maybe 3 games. 

I can read, follow and discuss the topic as much as I like. I simply refuse to purchase products, services and give viewership to an organization that is clearly anti-american.  

Don't like it?  I dont care.  I don't invest time and money to watch a sport that wants to bombard me with BS political agendas. 

PS, we is the silent majority...look at the ratings. 

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Haha (+1) 5

Like the majority here I have suffered thru the 17 straight playoff less seasons and mostly miserable football. Now that they are finally good I am going to be less invested. No way I can't wait for the season to kick off. It just doesn't feel like football season is here because preseason was cancelled but we are 8 days away from TNF. As for no fans being at the games I have gotten used to it with the NHL playoffs so I will get used to it with the NFL.

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I can read, follow and discuss the topic as much as I like. I simply refuse to purchase products, services and give viewership to an organization that is clearly anti-american.  

Don't like it?  I dont care.  I don't invest time and money to watch a sport that wants to bombard me with BS political agendas. 

Oh I believe you’re the majority.  I have little doubt that The Great Divider will win again.  He’s the President this country deserves.  That’s because this country is trash.

As for you - you don’t seem like someone who is disengaged.  For someone who claims to be phasing out football, you spend a lot of time here.  For someone who claims to be against mixing politics and football, we sure hear a lot about your politics.

• Like (+1) 6

With no fans allowed in some stadiums and fans allowed in others it feels unfair. If what I think will happen with good game changing players being out of the lineup with Covid in critical games then it will definitely devalue the season. I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts but I feel like the winner of this super bowl will have have more ****'s than all the Patriots Super Bowls combined. I feel like Covid is going to run rampant again during the flu season and everything will be shut down again somewhere in November or December.

10 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

I do think the ratings are going to take such a dive that the NFL will need to adjust a few things. If there are to many political messages and agendas that take me away from my 3 to 4 hours of forgetting about everything that sucks and just watch a football game I will just start working weekends again.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

i'm certainly more checked out than i usually am, and it's for the obvious reasons that others have already mentioned.  limited news, no preseason games, no annual visit to training camp, etc.  it just feels like it's not happening.   i'm sure when next sunday rolls around at 1pm, all of that will change.  

50 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Not sure hunter-gatherers or feudal peasants had much time to be angry.

If we think things are bad now, just wait until the UBI era of civilization...

you think extremely busy people don't have time to be angry?  

i missed this...

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

The Bills are entertainment, not my life. I am seriously looking forward to a distraction from all the other stuff. 

Truth.  If there are also NFL games on Saturday my NFL consumption will actually increase.  It’s really the only sport I watch and there won’t be any/as much college to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

I still love our Bills but this year will be different from any other we've seen in a while ! If they go the route of the NBA and some of their players i will be finding a lot of other things to do in my spare time .

Sports was & is a way for me to get away from the BS going on in the world for a short period of time on the week ends .

Although doing away with racism is definitely a great thing you can't do away with racism against some with more racism against others it needs to include all concerned not just that that covers a certain narrative .

Holding those that continually make terrible decisions in their life as martyr's for a cause and as the face of a movement is IMHO is just another bad decision . That is like some that believe Hitler was a good person NOT !! 

So that being said as we all sit and wait to see exactly what this season holds if the commentary surrounding the game is mostly about politics, and certain agenda's with a certain narrative then yes i'll be less invested than normal   ...

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I guess I'd need a time machine to do a proper study. Can't acurately perform the study from within the current civilization framework IMO. I'm sure peasants were angry about the king sometimes, but they didn't have a lot of time on their hands to tweet about it...

Social media is a catalyst for anger magnification, and free time is the continuum in which said anger resides.

you don't need a time machine...just common sense.  

social media is just a new way for people to express their anger.  back in the day you stuck someone with a spear, now you send out a nasty tweet.  i'm not a social media guy, but i certainly see the value in it.  it's just a tool like anything else.  people who allow it to make them angry...well, they're just #######s.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

football is 9 days away!!?? That is nuts!!

i do think the buildup hasn’t been there due to no TC and preseason, and risk of covid hanging over the season. But hopefully the normal excitement returns once they kickoff.

Yes, sir they kickoff 9/10 (8 days now).    I think the excitement will come back.   I've watched a bit of baseball and while it's weird with no fans, I still have the same reaction to a home run or strike out I've always had.  Best case scenario is they have some fans back by October.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

I believe there are more idle minds these days, so collectively, more anger. 

It’s not idleness, it’s lack of personal connection.  What liberal professors and right-wing internet tough guys like Joe have in common is that neither group lives in the real world, neither group interacts with real people from diverse backgrounds.  Instead, they congregate virtually and/or in self-selected groups of like-minded thinkers. And the lack of connectivity has been exacerbated by COVID, which has made it that much harder to connect.  There are few things worse than the tyranny of a closed mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It’s not idleness, it’s lack of personal connection.  What liberal professors and right-wing internet tough guys like Joe have in common is that neither group lives in the real world, neither group interacts with real people from diverse backgrounds.  Instead, they congregate virtually and/or in self-selected groups of like-minded thinkers. And the lack of connectivity has been exacerbated by COVID, which has made it that much harder to connect.  There are few things worse than the tyranny of a closed mind.

This is exactly right. The worry is it has started, or had pre-Covid, to seep into personnel connections as well. The number of people I have spoken to in the least 2 or 3 years who have been like "well I can't be around my cousin now because he thinks X" or "I went on a date with this guy and it was going fine but then they said they support Y". And the experiences I mention are from people in a range of different political positions. We are becoming more and more insulated in our own bubbles as humans. When did we decide you couldn't be friends with people who disagreed with you? When did we decide that diverse perspectives was a bad thing? It's terrifying for the future of the species.

I mentioned in the other week in the Fromm thread.... I am firmly an atheist. One of my best friends on this planet is a pretty devout Catholic. We disagree on some of the most fundamental things about human existence. That doesn't mean we can't share a glass of wine and B word about people at work. Or eat pizza and watch a Netflix boxset together. Or go on holiday and get drunk and sunburnt together. My cousin is a strident right wing free marketer. There isn't a single economic principle we share. Yet the 3 or 4 times a year when I at home we have the best nights in the pub together drinking and debating. That is surely what makes life interesting? This increasing need to surround ourselves only with people who think like ourselves.... it is disturbing.

• Like (+1) 5