Andre Smith traded to Bills for conditional 7th

BillsMafi$

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

There is your Special Teams guy.  and a conditional 7th a couple years down the line.  No Problem

Between Tyler Matakevitch, Taiwan Jones, and now Andre Smith - they've really added some good Special Teamers this off-season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Between Tyler Matakevitch, Taiwan Jones, and now Andre Smith - they've really added some good Special Teamers this off-season.

Sounds good to me.

Especially if Taiwan Jones gets to play, he's been injured.

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yep, but it could be to replace Taiwan Jones when let him go after Beane signs Fournette.

jk but you never know.

Tyler Matakevich, Taiwan Jones, Siran Neal, Robert Foster, Darryl Johnson, Reggie Gilliam, Andre Roberts, and now Andre Smith...everyone may not make the final roster, but the Bills are taking a smart approach and trying to build one of the elite special teams groups in the league. The margins for victory are thin and the best teams need to be consistently strong across all three phases. 

• Like (+1) 9

4 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Tyler Matakevich, Taiwan Jones, Siran Neal, Robert Foster, Darryl Johnson, Reggie Gilliam, Andre Roberts, and now Andre Smith...everyone may not make the final roster, but the Bills are taking a smart approach and trying to build one of the elite special teams groups in the league. The margins for victory are thin and the best teams need to be consistently strong across all three phases. 

Well said sir.  

Man, we really DO have the makings of a damn special, uh, special teams!  It's nice to see Beane and McDermott willing to pay extra attention to our ST unit, because you said it very well when you talked about the margins of victory being so small nowadays in the NFL and how the teams that put together all three phases are the ones that end up playing football in January...

1 minute ago, Rico said:

When I saw the thread title, I thought it was the ex-Bengal Andre Smith, the big slob OT from Alabama.

So did I 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

At some point Bills management will release there are other NFL teams to deal with other than Panthers

They wanted the player because he is a good special teamer that our special teams coordinator is familiar with.

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

Well said sir.  

Man, we really DO have the makings of a damn special, uh, special teams!  It's nice to see Beane and McDermott willing to pay extra attention to our ST unit, because you said it very well when you talked about the margins of victory being so small nowadays in the NFL and how the teams that put together all three phases are the ones that end up playing football in January...

And February :)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Can they stay in their lanes?

(ducks, and runs out of the room)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

Could this put Taiwan in jeopardy?  Maybe he takes his spot on ST which allows us to keep a different rb3?  I had Taiwan as a virtual lock but he hasn’t been healthy and his camp and has been injury prone throughout his career

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Could this put Taiwan in jeopardy?  Maybe he takes his spot on ST which allows us to keep a different rb3?  I had Taiwan as a virtual lock but he hasn’t been healthy and his camp and has been injury prone throughout his career

I would think so.  What the thing about these ST guys is it's not about just making the roster.

These guys got to fit into the 46 (oops 48) that dress to be effective.

I'm sure the positional coaches along with Beane and McDermott are going over countless scenarios on who stays and who leaves.

Wouldn't it be great to be  a fly on the wall in those meeting!

incestuous...drafted by Panthers with the the 7th round pick that the Bills traded to Carolina in the Kelvin Benjamin trade to the Bills and traded to Bills for conditional 7th round as well...I guess Dimarco goes to PUP or IR and this guy takes his place...Reggie the G is not red-dee

23 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I will galdly settle for a reduction in ST flags - esp illegal blocking to the back - instead of the big play and a limitation of the big ST play by the opponent

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

SUPER BOWL

But for real, this guy has two years of experience? Competition is great, but this guy is neither a special teams leader nor special teams ace.  Odds are he doesn't make the team--I assume that is the condition, 7th if he makes it, nothing if he doesn't. 

I'm not sure.  Bills spec teams coach had him in Carolina for a year.  More likely that the Bills know he can fill a need better than what they have. I expect he is on the 53.  I don't see them doing this so late in preseason otherwise.  Too disruptive.  It's  conditional because Beane is smart to cover the downside if for some reason he doesn't work out.  

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wouldn't it be great to be  a fly on the wall in those meeting!

It would be phenomenal!

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 2

I see people saying he’ll take Taiwan Jones’ spot, but I highly doubt that. Jones is a gunner. Smith is not.

More likely, it means the possible end for Vosesn Joseph. Corey Thompson and Tyrel Dodson seem locked in as the top two backup LBs on defense. They likely figure that if they keep a sixth LB, he needs to be a special teams asset, and a Joseph is not. Maybe Joseph makes the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 2