Do we rest the starters next week?

bills6969

15 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Noting to really play for; we are locked into the 5th seed.  Doesnt make a whole lot of sense to play the starters and risk injury, but I can't stomach losing to the Jets.

Yes, rest everyone who matters.  In fact, scratch JA from the lineup and have him over in the bubble, set up some of those Dr Pepper target barrels they use during bowl games, and let him spend three hours throwing balls through the openings from various distances! ?

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Not sure what point that would serve against a team running for the bus with an idiot for a HC?

Get him some confidence- I see your point that it can be risky. Josh has alot of things to fix if he is going to take the next step. I am a realist and fully expect Barclay to start.

20 hours ago, RiotAct said:

yes, I do dream of our players playing well in games.

Fair enough, but a guy like Duke ever playing a major role in this offense doesn’t seem likely. Everyone is desperate for a big play making receiver, so they hope Duke becomes that guy. I really don’t like being a downer, but Duke doesn’t have much of a future here. That’s been made clear by the coaching staff’s actions this season. I hope our players do well too, but there are some players you just know aren’t ever going to be that guy. 

6 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Get him some confidence- I see your point that it can be risky. Josh has alot of things to fix if he is going to take the next step. I am a realist and fully expect Barclay to start.

I genuinely worry about Allen coming out flat in a playoff game if they rest him this week. He doesn’t have the experience to sit for week, and still give me confidence he’ll pick up where he left off. I’d rather come out against the Jets running a no huddle letting Allen throw the ball around. Let’s use this game to see what we have. It could be used as a good learning experience for a team that has yet to develop into what they want to become. 

Edited by SirAndrew

I really want to hear Mcd come out first thing tomorrow and say it’s all back ups against the Jets. Don’t even play around. The score in this game is meaningless. There is no need to try and gain advantages over the Jets. Let the fans know Monday that they don’t have to be worried about injuries in a pointless game

• Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair enough, but a guy like Duke ever playing a major role in this offense doesn’t seem likely. Everyone is desperate for a big play making receiver, so they hope Duke becomes that guy. I really don’t like being a downer, but Duke doesn’t have much of a future here. That’s been made clear by the coaching staff’s actions this season. I hope our players do well too, but there are some players you just know aren’t ever going to be that guy. 

I genuinely worry about Allen coming out flat in a playoff game if they rest him this week. He doesn’t have the experience to sit for week, and still give me confidence he’ll pick up where he left off. I’d rather come out against the Jets running a no huddle letting Allen throw the ball around. Let’s use this game to see what we have. It could be used as a good learning experience for a team that has yet to develop into what they want to become. 

Kinda my thought as well. It is such a risk but also a dilemma we are facing with his slow growth. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There is no reason at all to play any starter at all.  Barkley, Perry, Yeldon, Duke, Foster, Roberts, Kroft, Lee Smith...that should be your skill position guys on offense. No Tre, no Milano, No Edmunds, no Hyde, no Poyer on defense.

There aren't enough active players to rest everyone.  

I was in the camp of resting a lot of people.  But now I'm thinking the opposite. I think it would be very difficult to lose two in a row and take the mental edge off for a week. Plus it is a home game.  

I say play to win and hope Jets fold in the towel early.  Ride the momentum to Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There aren't enough active players to rest everyone.  

I was in the camp of resting a lot of people.  But now I'm thinking the opposite. I think it would be very difficult to lose two in a row and take the mental edge off for a week. Plus it is a home game.  

I say play to win and hope Jets fold in the towel early.  Ride the momentum to Houston.

There are enough people. I’m not going to go through the whole thing but I promise you there is a backup at every position. You don’t have to rest every single starter on defense but I would definitely sit 49, 58, 27, 21 and 23 on defense. Start Barkley, play Yeldon and Perry at RB. Play Foster Duke Williams Roberts and McKenzie at WR. Kroft and Lee Smith at TE. Sit Dawkins, Spain, Feliciano and Moorse.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to say. I'm thinking about times that they have rested starters. Week 4 in preseason and week 6 in the regular season. They came out of the gate rusty in week 1 and needed the whole 1st half to wake up. And it was similar after their bye week iirc. They had a sluggy 1st half. So by judging how they come off of rest, I'm not so sure. Maybe just the guys who are dinged up and Singletary. Get Yeldon warmed up maybe.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Yes. Absolutely rest everyone.

Give them a week off to freshen up. 

also, give the backups some experience.  Might need one in the playoffs, or hopefully McD actually activates Williams and Yeldon over Foster and Perry. 

I bet they'll play at least the first half, and honestly that wouldn't be terrible. Still lots of kinks to work out and every game Allen plays gives him valuable experience. Bet they should rest starters for the 2nd half for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Allen needs reps- lots and lots of reps. During the New England game he missed on some throws that your better quarterbacks routinely hit. Defenses are able to load up in the box, stuff the run and get after him. At some point he has to get better if we as a team can take the next step. The O line is at a huge disadvantage when they are outnumbered.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, Stallions said:

a game with 30 Frank Gore carries????????????

And activate Duke & he goes for 100 yds on 10 receptions !! That might wake the coaches up to use Gore & Duke more than having them sit on the bench !!

I get people saying we need the reps, but let's face it: every team loves having a bye week to heal up, rest up, and prepare, and we've been gift-wrapped a second bye week right before the playoffs start. You take it. You have to.

Our playoff path will likely be: Texans > Ravens > Chiefs/Patriots****. We need everybody as healthy and ready to go as possible for that gauntlet.

3 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Yeah yeah yeah.  But the thing is, living here in North Jersey:  I really want to stick it to the Jets.

You *could* say the best way to stick it to the Jets is by advancing deep into the playoffs and proving to them just how much farther ahead of them we are...

I'm torn on this.  I can see completely sitting everyone to be safe.  Then on the other hand I could see having everyone go through the typical game prep, warm ups, etc....keep the routine intact.  Only run a series or so then sit who you planned on.  Always flat out of a bye it seems, maybe that would help.  But what do I know...

Edited by Lagoon Blues

I don't think our offense is to the point where we can say, we got this under control and can put it on ice for a week only to get out a week later fresh.  Our defense maybe, but after last week, maybe not.

If any starters have nagging injuries etc then hold them out.  Otherwise play everyone most of the game.  Damn the torpedoes, we need the practice.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

I get people saying we need the reps, but let's face it: every team loves having a bye week to heal up, rest up, and prepare, and we've been gift-wrapped a second bye week right before the playoffs start. You take it. You have to.

Our playoff path will likely be: Texans > Ravens > Chiefs/Patriots****. We need everybody as healthy and ready to go as possible for that gauntlet.

I'm thinking it's Texans > 2nd seed > 6th seed.  Then the AFC Championship game is OUR HOUSE!

There is absolutely zero reason to play any of our starters period. Allen for example is not going to learn anything playing in a meaningless game against the Jests that he doesn't already know. Sit the starters. This is our bye week. Better to devote the time to have the starters do "classroom study" on the Texans/Chiefs and reviewing what they could do better against the Patriots/Ravens if they should win their 1st rd matchup. Barkley should be playing the entire game handing off to Yeldon and Dimarco throwing to our backup WR's. Smoke and Cole sit this one out. Play whomever our third string center is too. Can't afford an injury to Feliciano with Morse's status uncertain at best. Sit Tre White and as many defensive starters too as possible. I agree with what Virgil said earlier in this thread - Let the Jests hurt their draft position if they really want to win this game! 

Edited by DefenseWins