Still worried about the Bills' offense?

eball

52 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree, they still need a another legit WR, , probably a bruising type of young Frank Gore RB and one lineman either to take Spains place at guard or you move Ford to guard, then sign a FA RT and still draft one too.  Earlier in the season I would have said move Ford inside, but today going up against Von Miller, hardly heard Miller or Ford mentioned.  Maybe Ford is fine at RT, particularly with a year under his belt. 

And when we release him we can say we cut a FART?

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pleased with the talent we have on offense. When utilized properly and when plays are designed to play to their strengths it's really fun to watch. Speed Kills! That being said I'm still not sold on Daboll. Granted since he's moved to the booth he's been better but admit it, there are some play calls that make you yell WTF!! 

2 hours ago, eball said:

If so you have my sympathies.  God forbid a team with 7-8 new starters be allowed to work things out and get better as the season progresses.

With back-to-back 17 point wins the Bills are ruining the "they only scrape by crappy opponents" narrative!

Pump the breaks turbo.  This offense is no where near a finished product and in my opinion not anywhere near where they need to be.  They have been improving week to week, but still not a top 15 offense.  Thats where they need to be to beat good teams and to make deep playoff runs.  

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I also think Singletary has Solidified himself as the RB1 of these team. And now with the Barry Sanders thing behind Gore the less and less hopefully we see him. 

Not yet, Gore is less than 50 all purpose yards away from moving up 2 spots to #6 all time. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Might depend on how they think Ford has gone at RT. If they want to move him inside I suspect they let Spain walk and try and find another tackle. If they are happy with Ford then I suspect they try and hold onto Spain but then it still comes down to $$s. 

Feliciano is only on a two year deal.  I'd rather extend him now and draft an OG if need be.  I like Spain though, but I'd rather give the money to Feliciano as I don't think Beane would pay both guards multi-year, starter money.  

I have no problem with Josh running. I do not think he will get hurt running. I love when he runs on QB draws or most any other run inside the ten yard line. But I think it's dumb to run him into the middle of the line 5 times a game. He runs enough scrambling. He's great at it. Let him do it as much as he wants. But stop the middle of the field called runs or Options. Maybe once a game. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoboTronic said:

Now they get to play teams with winning records. Lets see what the offense does in those games. 

Denver doesn't have a good record but their defense is inarguably top 10. 9th in DVOA, 8th in yards per play, 4th in yards per game, 8th in points per game. Our offense figured something out the past 2 weeks. Daboll going to the booth and running the no huddle have given us life. Still in need of an elite talent but we know they can move the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

What are the excuses from the haters this time?  Last week it was "just the Dolphins", but the Broncos D was supposed to be good.  Only 20 points?  Low completion % or yardage from Allen?

There were already people here before the game opining that beating the Broncos would mean nothing because they’re another bad team.

Completion percentage was OK, so it would have to be low passing yardage and the INT

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Feliciano is only on a two year deal.  I'd rather extend him now and draft an OG if need be.  I like Spain though, but I'd rather give the money to Feliciano as I don't think Beane would pay both guards multi-year, starter money.  

He better get over that, then.  Good teams, winning teams, invest in their OL

4 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

What are the excuses from the haters this time?  Last week it was "just the Dolphins", but the Broncos D was supposed to be good.  Only 20 points?  Low completion % or yardage from Allen?

We could have scored more. We were just running it in the 4th to kill the clock. and that doesn’t help for a 300 yard passing game!!!

3 hours ago, VW82 said:

Yup Singletary emerging as a force has changed everything. Now we can run option offense that teams have to respect. This was always our destiny if we got far enough. Also, it's so nice to have bruisers like Feliciano who can shift over to center and we don't miss a beat. 

Edit: what's exciting is Allen and Singletary still have another level they can get to with the option. Josh let Devin get crushed by a DE in one of the exchanges early today. We already know he's good at that but those two don't have as many game reps together as Allen/Gore. More of those plays are going to start becoming big plays IMO because they're both such threats as runners.    

If you're referring to the play I think you are, that was Mckenzie. It looked like Josh tried to pull it out but Mckenzie held onto it. 

I wish they'd run Gore out of single back instead of shotgun. He seems to do better with a little bit more of a head of steam. Singletary and Josh running the read option / RPOs is money. 

The most encouraging part of the day for me was how many solid throws Josh made out of tight pockets. The oline did a good job today, but not great. They were getting pushed back a bit and instead of Josh bailing from the pocket, he stood in and made quality throws. Josh is progressing very, very nicely. 

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Nick the Greek said:

We could have scored more. We were just running it in the 4th to kill the clock. and that doesn’t help for a 300 yard passing game!!!

That is an underrated element of these discussions. We shut it down for the most part in the fourth quarter. It's smart as far as just trying to win THIS GAME. I'm a proponent of not taking your foot off the gas when you are up versus being conservative. This game, however, the defense was dominating. But as far as scoring points goes, we hardly tried to score in the fourth quarter. 

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There were already people here before the game opining that beating the Broncos would mean nothing because they’re another bad team.

Completion percentage was OK, so it would have to be low passing yardage and the INT

I mean, we scored less than league average points against a better than average defense. We scored essentially spot on what they allow. Relatively average day.

the defense pitched a heckuva game against a bad offense. 

it was a good day. I don’t know that anyone should be doing call out threads on behalf of the offense though.

Stay with the Running game. It does wonders.  We don't want to get carried away in Dallas.  Running the ball and stopping the Run keeps their best players on offense off the field. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Might depend on how they think Ford has gone at RT. If they want to move him inside I suspect they let Spain walk and try and find another tackle. If they are happy with Ford then I suspect they try and hold onto Spain but then it still comes down to $$s. 

Spain is signed for two years and is a good quality backup.  I don't believe any of the OL players will be leaving.  

The Bills need to sign Dawkins, Poyer, Phillips and Lawson.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, we scored less than league average points against a better than average defense. We scored essentially spot on what they allow. Relatively average day.

the defense pitched a heckuva game against a bad offense. 

it was a good day. I don’t know that anyone should be doing call out threads on behalf of the offense though.

A quarter of the game we barely tried to score though. I think we score 27 or more if this was a closer game. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A quarter of the game we barely tried to score though. I think we score 27 or more if this was a closer game. 

Yeah..and the Bills got a little cute trying to get Gore his yards for the record and in doing that probably ended up at least one score less.

• Like (+1) 1

I like what I’m seeing from Josh, especially now that we seem to be finding our identity in the up-tempo offense.  

We have a nice OL and a strong running game with Motor and Gore. 

Brown-Beasley-Knox are a nice trio but who steps up to help them?  We’ve seen McKenzie, Foster and Kroft make some plays in recent games.  Foster seems to be the guy who could really elevate but his leg fell off after his run so we’ll have to see if/how long he’s out. 

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Some people will complain if we win the Super Bowl but don’t cover the spread. 

Worried isn’t the right word.

The Offense is pretty average (statistically and scoring stats indicate). BUT they do just enough to win based on how incredible the defense is.

Its more...intrigued to see what happens if the defense doesn’t give the offense its normal cushion.  And believe me it should not go understates how much of cushion this defense gives this offense when it comes on pressure to not have to score.

But for THIS season...maybe it never happens.  Just maybe thsi defense always keeps teams to 14-20 points or less.

we shall see.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

Glad for the win. I’m a happy guy. 

Did they run the same running play on every first down?  

The first down yardage seemed pretty low.  That puts them in a hole.  I kept thinking that a first down pass, sweep, option, or something other than a straight ahead run would have been a good idea. 

46 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I still say Singletary is too slow to play in this league.

I don’t think he has great straight ahead speed, but he’s very quick inside a phone booth, so to speak.  That, and the fact that he’s so darned compact at 5’7”, 211 lbs makes me think that he’s more than powerful and elusive enough to have a quality, if not elite, career in the League.

Let's see how well they play against some of the better defenses down the stretch. That was a very good defense we played against today, so I'm very encouraged. There may yet be some bumps in the road, but we're definitely trending upwards. We still need to improve the OL despite a solid game for them today and we need an elite WR. Brown is very good, but he's not elite.

13 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don’t think he has great straight ahead speed, but he’s very quick inside a phone booth, so to speak.  That, and the fact that he’s so darned compact at 5’7”, 211 lbs makes me think that he’s more than powerful and elusive enough to have a quality, if not elite, career in the League.

I was being facetious

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be worried untill they do it every week. I'd still like to see more points, but it was a pretty well balanced performance. I'm not going to count on it until they prove that it's not just a hot streak. It's happened way too often around here. Good game though, tough defense to play against. A bit like the Bills with a much worse offense. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

maybe, maybe not. 

like I said, good day but I don’t know that our offense is at a level for us to have call out threads. 

30 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Let's see how well they play against some of the better defenses down the stretch. That was a very good defense we played against today, so I'm very encouraged. There may yet be some bumps in the road, but we're definitely trending upwards. We still need to improve the OL despite a solid game for them today and we need an elite WR. Brown is very good, but he's not elite.

The last two opponents are 5-16, total garbage 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

maybe, maybe not. 

like I said, good day but I don’t know that our offense is at a level for us to have call out threads. 

No. You're right. It's surely not. But I do think that its scoring output is limited if not severely limited by McD's conservative nature. 

Play calling and the offense being stagnet during large periods of time is a massive issue.  The offense today had many opportunities to change what the opposing offense can do through its success.  Because it doesn't teams are still in the game - late.

Saying we've had back to back blow out wins isn't telling an accurate story of our offense.