Rex Ryan takedown: Baker Mayfield version

YoloinOhio

Rex is like some fat, drunken buffoon sat at the end of a bar just yelling crap about this, that and everything to anyone who will listen. The rest of the patrons just stand there and say "Rex is talking ***** again I see"

When I think back to his first presser as Bills coach... it gives me the runs

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Rex would be a fun guy to grab a beer with and let him tell all kinds of wild stories he's seen from his days in the NFL. He's a relatively entertaining guy at the least. Overrated as a coach and lacks awareness (i.e. fixes what isn't broken).

Mayfield isn't playing well at the moment but neither is most of the Browns offense, the OL especially. Collinsworth kept pointing it out on Sunday night that unless Mayfield was able to unload the ball within two seconds he was in trouble as the line just didn't hold up. However, there were several plays I saw where they did give him a clean pocket and he bailed after his first read. I don't think Browns management made a great decision in giving Kitchens the HC job, especially with the types of egos on that team. I really have no idea what Kitchens is like but from what I understand he seems to be a decent X's and O's guy, but appears to be seriously lacking in leadership. They lose a few more games in the next month or two and a heavy percentage of that roster is gonna check out on the guy and they'll be looking for another HC by January. 

Edited by blacklabel

40 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I am not sure what McAfee is so baffled about. Mayfield’s numbers and actual play speak for themselves this season. In this “super” offense with Beckham, Landry, Njoku and Chubb. Really neither side is correct here. Rex’s analysis is a bit off of Mayfield, yet he’s right that Mayfield got incredibly overrated during the offseason. McAfee looks like someone just insulted his child though. He was clearly part of the reason the Mayfield train was incredibly overloaded leaving the station. 

Honestly, results matter. Like JA, Mayfield is not a finished product. We got your classic NFL hype after Mayfield came in last year and won games. They added weapons, more hype.  He hasn't delivered yet, so in that sense he is overrated. He may end up winning 5 SBs but who knows? They may end up running the table this year, or catch fire late and gets on a roll.  For now, he is what he is. 

Only one side wins this - Rex. All he's doing is getting attention which is what he wants to do because all he's doing is blabbing his mouth on a TV show.

The Browns, on the other hand, are letting outside crap become a distraction. Ignore it and move on. You clap back and it becomes a "thing" and now Rex will say something all while loving the attention he's getting.

The Browns are in a bit of trouble right now and their schedule does them no favors. They'd be wise to ignore this outside crap because it's only going to get worse.

• Like (+1) 2

He has the lowest completion % of any starting QB in the league right now, 32nd in passer rating and has the 2nd most INTs. So probably should take his lumps from the media and worry about his game more than being snarky toward any criticism. He’s always struggled with criticism going back to college when he would search his twitter mentions and fire back at random people that he just should not waste energy on. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, eball said:

Bottom line, the Browns are a bit of a mess right now, and Baker hasn't built upon his rookie season thus far.  Rex is a blowhard but (and I really hate to say this) I'm glad somebody isn't afraid to criticize the kid.

Yeah, just cause it's Rex doesn't mean he can't be right.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has the lowest completion % of any starting QB in the league right now, 32nd in passer rating and has the 2nd most INTs. So probably should take his lumps from the media and worry about his game more than being snarky toward any criticism. He’s always struggled with criticism 

2 minutes ago, Reader said:

Yeah, just cause it's Rex doesn't mean he can't be right.

Yes, Mayfield has his shortcomings...but then again, it’s Wrecks.  Always good to see that snake oil salesman get his lumps.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has the lowest completion % of any starting QB in the league right now, 32nd in passer rating and has the 2nd most INTs. So probably should take his lumps from the media and worry about his game more than being snarky toward any criticism. He’s always struggled with criticism going back to college when he would search his twitter mentions and fire back at random people that he just should not waste energy on. 

certainly agree Yolo........maybe I'm a too damn old traditionalist, but I like Allen's approach of being mindful, respectful and humble about the game with some hallowed QB's who paved the way to today's money.....loved his quote, "it's OUR team and OUR family"......cockiness early and losing one's focus for what the hell you're getting paid for bothers me (strictly opinion and many will disagree; I respect that).......Mayfield, Kaepernick, RG II 5/8, Cam. etc quickly come to mind......a shining star that is fun to watch is Mahomes, defying the "leper like Air Raid" moniker yet a humble kid.....BUT Wrecks talking about over being over rated?...SERIOUSLY?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Never call a cocky QB overrated, it creates demons within

What does that even mean? Within ourselves? Does it trigger a series of unexplained events in our lives! ha!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Never call a cocky QB overrated, it creates demons within

...good call HOUSE......Kaep hit the limelight way too early and "tats 'n poses" deterred him from what the hell he was getting paid for.....RG II 1/8 was the same way, but he had Daddy RG in tow chirping in Boy Danny's ear......"WIN" pressers were about ME...."LOSS" pressers  strained his shoulder throwing teammates under the bus....although he enjoyed greater success, Scam Newton is precisely the same........"WIN" pressers were about ME...."LOSS" pressers  strained his shoulder throwing teammates under the bus..how about the Manziel debacle?....just my take and respect those who differ......could Baker be next?...stay tuned.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As much as I didn't like the Wrex hire and said so from day one my guess is that Wrex probably had something in his contract that as long as the Pegs were still paying him he cannot work for another team

We shall see as this is year 5 and his last free checks from 1BD.

Edited by JMF2006
year 5

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good call HOUSE......Kaep hit the limelight way too early and "tats 'n poses" deterred him from what the hell he was getting paid for.....RG II 1/8 was the same way, but he had Daddy RG in tow chirping in Boy Danny's ear......"WIN" pressers were about ME...."LOSS" pressers  strained his shoulder throwing teammates under the bus....although he enjoyed greater success, Scam Newton is precisely the same........"WIN" pressers were about ME...."LOSS" pressers  strained his shoulder throwing teammates under the bus..how about the Manziel debacle?....just my take and respect those who differ......could Baker be next?...stay tuned.......

Very good examples...Just shows the delicate balance involved...the potential for some personalities.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

As time goes on it looks like the real battle for best QB of the 2018 draft is between Josh and Lamar. Baker is the same guy he was in college. He'll be okay, but with his lack of physical tools, that's all he'll be. I think Rosen is already out of the discussion, and until Darnold plays for a team besides the Jets, he will be out of the discussion, too.

And, honestly, who would you rather have right now, Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson? I don't trust Jackson's success. How long can a QB count so much on his legs? And defenses not adapt to the system. He's very good, but he doesn't have the overall QB skills of other mobile QBs.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, vincec said:

Ryan's not wrong.

I wonder if Mayfied has that "growth mindset" that McDermott talks about. I haven't seen a lot of improvement in his game from last year to this one.

This Sunday is huge for him. He can turn the whole narrative around by beating the Ravens. Biggest game on their schedule until they play them again. 

...uh oh...Freddie is PO'ed....

Freddie Kitchens calls Rex Ryan’s comments about Baker Mayfield “asinine”

Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2019, 1:15 PM EDT

Former Jets and Bills coach Rex Ryan recently criticized Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield. Browns coach Freddie Kitchens has now criticized the criticism.

“I appreciate his opinion and all that, but he is not in our building,” Kitchens told reporters on Wednesday regarding Ryan’s remarks. “He has no idea what we are doing. I would answer that with that.”

Among other things, Ryan called Mayfield a “one-read quarterback.”

“No, he is not,” Kitchens said. “That is asinine to even say.”

On Monday, Ryan (who is now an ESPN analyst) questioned Mayfield’s abilities.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/25/freddie-kitchens-calls-rex-ryans-comments-about-baker-mayfield-asinine/

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't Tebow stopped trying. He just wasn't that good. 

I dont think Baker stopped trying either, Injust think his Oline is crap and he's getting happy feet. I believe he has bad coaches and the pressure is getting to him as well.