Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I just don't understand a move like this from Seattle.  They had Frank Thomas in house who was more productive than Clowney, in the same contract situation as Clowney, and they traded Thomas away rather than watch him walk next year and get nothing for him because they didn't have the cap space to extend him.   Clowney isn't going to be any cheaper than Thomas would have been.

I don't think Seattle is in play.  I'd be more worried about the Eagles if they are making a serious run at Clowney.

They probably traded him because he is a retired baseball player.  Did they trade him before or after they traded Frank Clark.?

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

The Big Hurt? That “man boost” stuff of his really works!

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They probably traded him because he is a retired baseball player.  Did they trade him before or after they traded Frank Clark.

Sigh...  Yeah, I meant Frank Clark

At work trying to get in the mix.

Thanks fellas, I'll change it.    ?

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I just don't understand a move like this from Seattle.  They had Frank Clark in house who was more productive than Clowney, in the same contract situation as Clowney, and they traded Clark away rather than watch him walk next year and get nothing for him because they didn't have the cap space to extend him.   Clowney isn't going to be any cheaper than Clark would have been.

I don't think Seattle is in play.  I'd be more worried about the Eagles if they are making a serious run at Clowney.

They might not have liked Clark off the field...

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

MARIO WAS A VERY GOOD PLAYER HERE WELL WORTH THE CONTRACT. 

What were you people watching when he was here? 

Mario was not worth the money he was paid.  He played okay when he played but his best days were behind him. He was not the dominating guy you would expect from that level of pay.  He certainly didn't help lead the team to the playoffs.  I watched him very closely and I watched a number of other players walk down the road because Buffalo didn't have cap space to keep them.  

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

A reason for the logic might be that they didn't trust Clark not to get in trouble. 

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

They might not have liked Clark off the field...

It's definitely possible that has something to do with it. 

I think I remember reading that it was more of a cap situation at the time though.  The Seahawks traded Clark about a week after they extended Russell Wilson to that monster $140 million contract. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Interesting, useful stat and chart; thanks. That said, I think you’re cherry picking a bit because in the top chart, which covers everything, shows the Bills to good to great nearly across the entire board. 

I think you make good points but the Bills offense and special teams were so bad last year that I believe that there is a subsequent false read on just how good the defense was.

The 2018 Bills were blown out 7 times.    They were an uncompetitive team.   They allowed the best starting field position in the league and turned the ball over a lot.   

When I think of their defense in relation to the rest of the NFL it reminds me of 1984 MLB where the 3 teams with the lowest ERA's all had losing records.     It doesn't usually work anything like that.   But sometimes punchless, uncompetitive offenses can create a lack of urgency from opposing offenses. 

Obviously red zone is a different story.    When teams get down there the focus increases regardless of the score and it becomes a man-to-man battle.    That's where they really proved they weren't elite defensively.    They can try to scheme better all they want but quick pressure/penetration is the game changer in the redzone.   And that's why they need a matchup winner like Clowney.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you make good points but the Bills offense and special teams were so bad last year that I believe that there is a subsequent false read on just how good the defense was.

The 2018 Bills were blown out 7 times.    They were an uncompetitive team.   They allowed the best starting field position in the league and turned the ball over a lot.   

When I think of their defense in relation to the rest of the NFL it reminds me of 1984 MLB where the 3 teams with the lowest ERA's all had losing records.     It doesn't usually work anything like that.   But sometimes punchless, uncompetitive offenses can create a lack of urgency from opposing offenses. 

Obviously red zone is a different story.    When teams get down there the focus increases regardless of the score and it becomes a man-to-man battle.    That's where they really proved they weren't elite defensively.    They can try to scheme better all they want but quick pressure/penetration is the game changer in the redzone.   And that's why they need a matchup winner like Clowney.

Fair points.

5 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Mario was not worth the money he was paid.  He played okay when he played but his best days were behind him. He was not the dominating guy you would expect from that level of pay.  He certainly didn't help lead the team to the playoffs.  I watched him very closely and I watched a number of other players walk down the road because Buffalo didn't have cap space to keep them.  

You're right it was his fault fitz, kyle orton, manuel,jeff tuel,thad lewis,tyrod were our starting qbs with the likes of david nelson roosevelt donald jones were our starting wide receivers how dont you rack up enough wins to be in the playoffs . He wasnt a pro browler caused havoc rac up 40+sack main reason our defense was top 10 top 5 you're right 

Okay, I wanna know when this 24/48 hours started damn it! I also wanna know how excited i’m Supposed to get, I want answers people!!! ?

oh, and 27 pages ain’t squat...,

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Okay, I wanna know when this 24/48 hours started damn it! I also wanna know how excited i’m Supposed to get, I want answers people!!! ?

Go Bills!!!

The range should be up by tomorrow late afternoon. It was said yesterday afternoon at some point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

100%....the fact that we were #2 in defensive yards allowed is complete nonsense.  That just means our ST & Offense sucked putting our opponents in great field position.  The true measurement is #18th in the NFL in points allowed. All that matters is points allowed. Nothing else!

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't read the thread, and I have no information.  But when I hear Clowney, multiple teams and the Bills, what I'd like to see is Clowney goes someplace else, Shady goes to Houston and the Bills get somone's first.  

Clowney doesn't strike me as a McD guy.  Love Shady, but if I could get a first for him, I'd do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

Yesterday. That was per Mike Lombardi. But nothing can happen until he signs his tender. I don’t think he’s even in Houston right now. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

100%....the fact that we were #2 in defensive yards allowed is complete nonsense.  That just means our ST & Offense sucked putting our opponents in great field position.  The true measurement is #18th in the NFL in points allowed. All that matters is points allowed. Nothing else!

Thats nonsense!  Like you said our offense and special teams were god awful last year.  Common sense should tell you that this was a direct contributor to the #18 in points allowed.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I'd be okay with Zay Jones & T.J. Yeldon for Clowney.

Houston fans would riot if it was 2 players, no picks and one of them wasn’t Shady. 

No idea what the market is for Clowney, but it feels like they could get more than Zay and a RB (Yeldon) who isn’t even a roster lock for us.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Lol. Houston fans would riot if it was 2 players, no picks and one of them wasn’t Shady. 

No idea what the market is for Clowney, but it feels like they could get more than Zay and a RB (Yeldon) who isn’t even a roster lock for us.  

I never said it would be a fair trade; I just said I'd be okay with it.  ?

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I haven't read the thread, and I have no information.  But when I hear Clowney, multiple teams and the Bills, what I'd like to see is Clowney goes someplace else, Shady goes to Houston and the Bills get somone's first.  

Clowney doesn't strike me as a McD guy.  Love Shady, but if I could get a first for him, I'd do it.

I agree, but I don’t there is any chance Shady gets a first. 

1 minute ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

im down with that beat

Me toi

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Shadys value based on age and projected future production is realistically between a 3rd-4th. Character/drama aside, if McD really wants him they better be prepared to give up Shady, Zay plus a 3rd or 4th.

Shady, backend end of career, stone hands, cant catch a ball, and a 3rd or 4th?  Count me in 

50 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Go Bills!!!

Check Wikipedia periodically to see if Clowney is listed as a Buffalo Bill. 

7 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Check Wikipedia periodically to see if Clowney is listed as a Buffalo Bill. 

So now I gotta do something for myself, is what you’re sayin then...

?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Hmm.  Let's see: spend a year in beautiful South Florida, or spend a year playing in an extension of Appalachia aka WNY?  Decisions, decisions <sarcasm>

Hmmm...playing for a likely playoff team or a flaming s##tshow? Decisions, decisions.

Oh...and if Clowney is the kind of player who is thinking about the beach during his contract year then the Texans are smart to get rid of him. He's perfect for Miami.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Shady could be involved, but I’m sure that the trade offer would have to include Dawkins, Ford or Nsekhe.  Most likely nsekhe, but I’d be happy to trade them Dawkins for him straight up.  He’s got one more year before he gets drastically overpaid, similar to Clowney. Not sure I really want to trade any of them for a player we’re going to pay 20+ mill a year.  It would be fun to watch him opposite Jerry 

Edited by NewEra