Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

Just now, whatdrought said:

People saying they don’t want Clowney cause he’s Mario 2.0 are actually saying they don’t want double digit sacks... that’s the stupidest argument ever.

How can you not want this guy on this defense?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

well he did have a tendency to ease up at the end of lost games.  But I cant blame him for that, better to stay healthy and play again another day.  When the game was winnable, he played hard.

Sure, but the guy is human and played better on his worse days than most others with the exception of Kyle Williams.

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I am having flashbacks of Mario Williams we all wanted him here so bad and I don't think he really did much hope we don't end up in the same situation

Boy you are right - Mario did nothing as a Bill - almost 40 sacks his first 3 years, multiple ProBowl, all pro, and anchor to two of the top sack defenses of all time and probably one of the best Bills defenses since the mid 60’s.  Boy I hope we do not get that kind of production from other players.

Sarcasm off

Mario was fine and if the get Clowney it will be a major boost to the team.  We will have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

McD and Schwartz play similar styles rush 4 and drop 7. We broke the sack record with Schwartz. if you get clowney the front 4 pass rush would be all you need no need to blitz heavy 

I'm definitely not suggesting living by the blitz; you can't do that vs Brady or Brees.  Schwartz' scheme does not rely on winning 1-1 battles all the time.  He is a little more aggressive than Frazier and attacks weak spots in the offensive line.  Interesting, I did read articles last year from Philly media that criticized him for usually only rushing four and not blitzing much.  They would tear Frazier's scheme apart.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

MARIO WAS A VERY GOOD PLAYER HERE WELL WORTH THE CONTRACT. 

What were you people watching when he was here? 

Yep.  I specifically remember people on this board criticizing Mario as the $100M invisible man.  Now he was the best DE since Bruce Smith.  Mario was no where near the impact player that Bruce was.

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

How can you not want this guy on this defense?

I can understand the argument from a value point of view- what would we be giving up/is it worth it? But as far as what he would add to this team, and even the money aspect, I think it’s a no-brainwr.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if, IF McBeane was to pull the trigger, would you expect him to have a long term deal in place first or just gamble a pick on a one year rental?....he's a shrewd dude IMO...

We have the GM that negotiated with Clowney’s team in Houston and had a deal minus Bill O’Brien - I think we know what he is looking for.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

I can understand the argument from a value point of view- what would we be giving up/is it worth it? But as far as what he would add to this team, and even the money aspect, I think it’s a no-brainwr.

I concur 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They have LOADS of cap room and literally have no one to pay. 

WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE?

I don’t mind paying guys big money in FA or re-upping our own players. What I don’t like is giving up draft assets AND paying a premium salary.

I wont be for or against this trade (if it happens) until I see what was given up and paid.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

People saying they don’t want Clowney cause he’s Mario 2.0 are actually saying they don’t want double digit sacks... that’s the stupidest argument ever.

Where were these fans? Drunk at a tailgate party?

Edited by Rocket94

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If you wait til the qb is proven you can no longer afford the move. 

This is the move you make BECAUSE you have the young qb 

I’d be all for it if I felt like Allen had sufficiently proven himself.  He hasn’t in my book.  I’m hopeful that he continues to develop, but I’m in a holding pattern on moves like this until he does.  That’s my bottom line. 

21 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Come on now, Shaq is nowhere near as bad as you make that sound. He could start on plenty of teams. He’s not an elite pass rusher like many wanted from that high of a draft position but he is quite strong in some other areas and has really looked impressive this year 

I never said he is bad. He is just not that good. He's very average.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Can you be more specific? A guy like what? And why, precisely, wouldn't he impact the W-L column?

It's just the vague byproduct of McBeane crying wolf about "salary cap hell" when they really just wanted to re-set the roster.

Now fans will be wringing their hands about paying a true stud player at premium position the market rate of $20M per year when they shouldn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d be all for it if I felt like Allen had sufficiently proven himself.  He hasn’t in my book.  I’m hopeful that he continues to develop, but I’m in a holding pattern on moves like this until he does.  That’s my bottom line. 

Why does Allen being unproven make you not want to see the team get better?

• Thank you (+1) 1