Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

Just now, Rico said:

I have not watched that many Texans games... with Jerry Hughes at RDE, can Clowney play LDE?

Only asking cause I know Watt is their LDE, and I know Shaq looks a whole lot better at RDE than he does at LDE.

Maybe Shaq is part of the deal. Plus Shaq isn't all that good, so I don't think it matters where he lines up. He's a backup.

Just now, Rico said:

I have not watched that many Texans games... with Jerry Hughes at RDE, can Clowney play LDE?

Only asking cause I know Watt is their LDE, and I know Shaq looks a whole lot better at RDE than he does at LDE.

Clowney can play anywhere. He’s played both end spots and both outside linebacker spots and also DT in the Texans scheme depending on how they run their 4-3 or 3-4 sets. 

Part of the reason for his numbers not being better is how they move him everywhere 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Although I understand how some people are enticed by the prospect of landing a first overall draft pick with freakish athletic ability, I don't see it happening.  The salary price will be extremely high and it just feels Mario Williams 2.0.  He has missed a bunch of games and his productivity doesn't justify the type of contract he is looking for.  It just feels like it would be the start of a journey to salary cap hell.  It seems contrary to the way Beane has told us that he will construct the team.  I may be wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is completely and utterly false. How can anybody watch football and say this?

This. Guys with the ability to disrupt plays, wreak havoc, and cause turnovers alter games and are the primary weapon AGAINST the top QB's. It may seem counterintuitive, but these guys are MORE valuable in an era where it's unrealistic to expect to hold the top QB's to less than 24 points or so. The big plays, the big stops, the turnovers; that has become the key to playing defense in this era. You pay playmakers on defense. Offense/QB comes first. Stopping opposing QB's comes second. That's exactly why pass rushers get PAID.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

Maybe Shaq is part of the deal. Plus Shaq isn't all that good, so I don't think it matters where he lines up. He's a backup.

Come on now, Shaq is nowhere near as bad as you make that sound. He could start on plenty of teams. He’s not an elite pass rusher like many wanted from that high of a draft position but he is quite strong in some other areas and has really looked impressive this year 

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't either, and that is what would happen.  Throwing money at a problem, alone, does not solve the problem.  Frazier and McD would need to be more aggressive in their defensive scheme in order to get the most out of Clowney.  I'm not saying to blitz all the time, but at least disguise blitzes, stunt, throw in different looks, etc.  Don't just play a vanilla front four look and expect that to intimidate the opposing offense.

A lot of people dug into me in the Clowney is trending... thread.  That's fine and what makes this board entertaining.  It really is interesting getting many different view points.

McD and Schwartz play similar styles rush 4 and drop 7. We broke the sack record with Schwartz. if you get clowney the front 4 pass rush would be all you need no need to blitz heavy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Although I understand how some people are enticed by the prospect of landing a first overall draft pick with freakish athletic ability, I don't see it happening.  The salary price will be extremely high and it just feels Mario Williams 2.0.  He has missed a bunch of games and his productivity doesn't justify the type of contract he is looking for.  It just feels like it would be the start of a journey to salary cap hell.  It seems contrary to the way Beane has told us that he will construct the team.  I may be wrong but I wouldn't bet on it.

Agreed.

I also think that the play of the EDGE guys this offseason and preseason has made it so that Beane likely doesn't feel the NEED to give up draft or roster assets AND pay the big contract it would take to lure Clowney. They just extended Hughes, who is still playing well. They've been raving about Trent Murphy since he returned to health. Shaq Lawson has played well this preseason and is still young and ascending as a player. Darryl Johnson looks like an immediate contributor, and even Mike Love has been making plays.

I'm not disagreeing that Clowney would improve the Bills defense. I'm simply saying that I don't see this move as likely for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the huge contract and other assets it will take to acquire and sign him.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, ScottLaw said:

MARIO WAS A VERY GOOD PLAYER HERE WELL WORTH CONTRACT. 

What were you people watching when he was here? 

Yeah Mario dominated the first couple years of that contract. He was literally unstoppable getting to the quarterback 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Pretty sure most folks are HOPING that it'll be Mario Williams 2.0

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Strengthening your biggest strength is actually the best way to win in football. And it's not like there's an elite offensive player up for a trade right now.

Come on guys, we're talking about trading maybe a 2nd round pick and Shaq Lawson. A game changing pass rusher isn't worth that?? I think anyone who isn't begging for this trade to happen is nuts.

My first reaction was "we already have a top tier defense".  But upon reflection, you are right.  Superbowls have been won with suffocating defense.  Just need Allen to manage the offense, put up a few points and not turn over.  And I'm sure defensive guru McDermott is one of the ones "begging" for this trade.  So why not?  We have cap space.  Deploy the ready Beane!

33 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree.  I love the idea of adding a talent like Clowney long term.  He’d help bring the defense to another level, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to do due to the likely trade compensation.  I hate the idea of giving up a first.

The Bills still have below average OL and WR as well as a QB who has yet to prove himself. I just can’t get on board with using next year’s first on upgrading the defense while the offense is so much more in need.  If we can package some players and a second, then I’m interested.  

If you wait til the qb is proven you can no longer afford the move. 

This is the move you make BECAUSE you have the young qb 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

MARIO WAS A VERY GOOD PLAYER HERE WELL WORTH THE CONTRACT. 

What were you people watching when he was here? 

Mario 2.0? My god he played wonderfully here! He honored his contract as well as a man can. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rocket94 said:

Mario 2.0? My god he played wonderfully here! He honored his contract as well as a man can. 

well he did have a tendency to ease up at the end of lost games.  But I cant blame him for that, better to stay healthy and play again another day.  When the game was winnable, he played hard.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

I also think that the play of the EDGE guys this offseason and preseason has made it so that Beane likely doesn't feel the NEED to give up draft or roster assets AND pay the big contract it would take to lure Clowney. They just extended Hughes, who is still playing well. They've been raving about Trent Murphy since he returned to health. Shaq Lawson has played well this preseason and is still young and ascending as a player. Darryl Johnson looks like an immediate contributor, and even Mike Love has been making plays.

I'm not disagreeing that Clowney would improve the Bills defense. I'm simply saying that I don't see this move as likely for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the huge contract and other assets it will take to acquire and sign him.

Wait til you see what we may give up...and who cares about the contract....plenty of cash and cap space