Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I’d be all for it if I felt like Allen had sufficiently proven himself.  He hasn’t in my book.  I’m hopeful that he continues to develop, but I’m in a holding pattern on moves like this until he does.  That’s my bottom line. 

You’re entitled to your opinion, but man that’s a bad one. ?

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

I don’t mind paying guys big money in FA or re-upping our own players. What I don’t like is giving up draft assets AND paying a premium salary.

I wont be for or against this trade (if it happens) until I see what was given up and paid.

well...obviously

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d be all for it if I felt like Allen had sufficiently proven himself.  He hasn’t in my book.  I’m hopeful that he continues to develop, but I’m in a holding pattern on moves like this until he does.  That’s my bottom line. 

Then im glad you aren’t making the decisions as you’d be squandering opportunities waiting on a perfect scenario instead of the much larger right window 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We have Edmunds for three more years after this season. That is not a worry at all. 

Agreed, and if the Bills were to make this deal and sign Clowney to a long term contract, Beane would make it a front loaded contract so that the cap hit would not be a big impact for the future.

Beane has done this with a lot of free agent contracts.

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm definitely not suggesting living by the blitz; you can't do that vs Brady or Brees.  Schwartz' scheme does not rely on winning 1-1 battles all the time.  He is a little more aggressive than Frazier and attacks weak spots in the offensive line.  Interesting, I did read articles last year from Philly media that criticized him for usually only rushing four and not blitzing much.  They would tear Frazier's scheme apart.

Yep.  I specifically remember people on this board criticizing Mario as the $100M invisible man.  Now he was the best DE since Bruce Smith.  Mario was no where near the impact player that Bruce was.

Comparing Mario to Bruce is unfair- Bruce is all time great- Mario was impressive for 3 years and deserves recognition- unfortunately his contract was 6

3 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Why does Allen being unproven make you not want to see the team get better?

Would love to see them get better, but I’m not giving up a first plus more for Clowney with an unproven QB and below average WR and OL corps. See my original post on page 9 for more details. 

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Strengthening your biggest strength is actually the best way to win in football. And it's not like there's an elite offensive player up for a trade right now.

Come on guys, we're talking about trading maybe a 2nd round pick and Shaq Lawson. A game changing pass rusher isn't worth that?? I think anyone who isn't begging for this trade to happen is nuts.

You think Houston is taking a 2nd and Lawson to get this deal done?  Where is that being reported?

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

If you believe in a 12 month turnaround instead of multi year, grabbing a pass rusher in his prime makes a ton of sense long term 

But does it makes sense if you then lost your younger, better LT and potentially your best receiver. 

Seems like that that would be the potential for a multi year rebuild where just as you are getting good 2021-2022 this guy is over 30 and becoming a potential FA.

Just now, BillsVet said:

You think Houston is taking a 2nd and Lawson to get this deal done?  Where is that being reported?

I haven't see anything regarding compensation...not even from NFL reporters....we're all guessing

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's just the vague byproduct of McBeane crying wolf about "salary cap hell" when they really just wanted to re-set the roster.

Now fans will be wringing their hands about paying a true stud player at premium position the market rate of $20M per year when they shouldn't.

These are the moves that are sometimes necessary to build a team. The draft is not always enough on its own. When a window of opportunity like this arises, you open it and judiciously move forward. There are always risks in any transaction...can't always be passive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Nothing is reported other than the Texans want a player back. Since it's technically a 1 year rental it doesn't sound like a 1st rounder is the price. I would be more hesitant about a 1st rounder given the WR class next year, but anything below that I'd be all in. Even a 1st rounder I would be okay with, that would mean a lot of pressure on the team to win this year but I'm fine with that. Frankly if next year's 1st is so valuable that it isn't worth a stud pass rusher in his prime then Beane and/or McDermott aren't doing something right.