Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

Just now, NoSaint said:

Your words were you wouldn’t because you weren’t sold on Allen yet. So I responded about our window being open regardless of Allen, despite your worry he needs to be proven as the guy first 

No, that was only part of my thinking.  My original post is on page 9.  Please refer to that. I’ve repeated much of what I wrote several times since.  Sorry you missed it all, but that’s my most completely stated opinion if you care to read it. 

14 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

That's fair but we don't know the cost.

The article says likely McCoy and a mid round pick from the Bills. Also that Miami also is interested in bernardrick McKinney and Houston wants Tunsil 

could be two trades 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This was yesterday , Lombardi said he'd be gone in 24-48 hrs and they want a WR... Interesting

So Long Foster we hardly knew ye. And See ya later 3rd rounder

Edited by BeefCurtns

8 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Hes 26 now.

2020 is 27

2021 is 28

2022 is 29

2023 is 30

2024 is 31

2025 is 32 if they give him a 6 year deal at the close of this year. Jerry Hughes is 31 and we are counting on him.

Id hope the dolphins front office is betting on being good again in the front half of that

Depends on what year they are drafting a QB.  The talk earlier in the off season by the dolphins reporters was to expect this to be a 2 year slide targeting Lawerence in 2021 and acquiring picks to set that up.

if you get Lawerence in 2021 - you are talking 2022/2023 before that QB is most likely ready to shine.  

If they suck and get Hebert or Tua this year - not sure they are in a better place than with Rosen.

We will have to see - it just seems they are willing to (and already have) ripped it to the studs and the piece to build it back up is still unknown.

It is a risk for them, but I get it - just not sure it fits in a workable time frame to be logical.

2 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

That's an easy yes

McCoy and a 3rd seems light to me, but then again, that franchise tag is a big deal and they want him traded. Many teams couldn’t even carry that cap # right now.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The article says likely McCoy and a mid round pick from the Bills. Also that Miami also is interested in bernardrick McKinney and Houston wants Tunsil 

could be two trades 

I swear if we get a 26 year old 3 time pro bowl pass rusher in exchange for a 31 year old back in the final year of his deal and a mid round pick... and this place isn’t ecstatically celebrating...

count me all aboard shady and even a 2 yet alone more toward middle rounds and anyone not is crazy

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

I am having flashbacks of Mario Williams we all wanted him here so bad and I don't think he really did much hope we don't end up in the same situation

Mario Williams didn't do much for us?

2012- 10.5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 2 FF

2013- 13 sacks, 3 passes defensed, 1 FF

2014- 14.5 sacks, 2 passes defensed, 2 FF

2015- 5 sacks, he finally broke down here

43 sacks in 4 seasons, 9 passes defensed, 5 FF isn't doing much?

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Been away this afternoon. Is there anything from the Bills saying anything? All I’m seeing are tweets from yesterday.

just asking.

Not from the Bills. The media talked to McDermott this afternoon but no Clowney questions

the report from PFN is from today 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wawrow said upthread it likely ain’t happening.

Let's hope so.  BTW, Your comment will get lost in a sea of speculation here.

Folks love to discuss this sort of thing.

20 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how or why does this guy become expendable?....money?...injuries?...attitude?.....or ????..anybody have some insight or is this a personal O'Brien vendetta?......

I believe it boils down to money. The Texans may not be able to justify paying both Clowney and Watt anymore because the formula is not really working...someone has to go!

Edited by Rocket94

53 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They have LOADS of cap room and literally have no one to pay. 

WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE?

There are a few potential downsides:

1.) Clowney may not want to re-sign here long term. Due to the contract language of the tender he will be signing, the Bills can't work out a new deal with him until AFTER the season. That's a big risk to take with a guy that you're also going to have to give up draft or roster assets for. People say "well obviously they wouldn't do it if Clowney says he won't stick around". But in that instance, you'd be taking the guy at his word. There would be nothing legally binding him to your team past this season.

2.) It's true, the Bills DO have lots of cap room and no one to pay yet. But they WILL have people to pay in the coming years. They have said repeatedly that they want to draft, develop, and retain their own players. Guys like White, Edmunds, Milano, Oliver, Wallace, etc. The Bills are in no hurry to get themselves back on the path to cap jail. Handing out a top-three-in-the-league defensive contract to a guy they didn't draft and who hasn't always been a paragon of good health and dependability is one potential way to start back down that path. This brings us to item three:

3.) Clowney has a history of injuries. He has had five surgeries in the past five years:

2018: knee surgery, lower back injury
2017: knee surgery
2016: elbow sprain
2015: ankle sprain, lower back
injury, lisfranc sprain
2014: knee surgery, microfracture surgery, sports hernia surgery

I'm not going to be unhappy if they trade for Clowney. I'd welcome it. I DO think he could be a transformative force for Buffalo's defense IF he can stay on the field. But to pretend that the move doesn't carry some risks and potential downsides is silly. I'm genuinely 50/50 on the move. If it happens, great, I'm sure Beane will have done his homework. If it doesn't happen, no skin off my back, and I'll be happy to see the Bills pay their OWN quality players in the coming years. I also happen to believe Wawrow and others who have stated there's nothing to this rumor.