Levi Wallace ends season as highest graded rookie CB by PFF

YoloinOhio

Just about every time I saw Levi he seemed to always be in good position to make the play.  I thought he played extremely well and has earned the right to be the front runner for the position next year.  I don't believe we need to try to draft high to try to replace him, just bring in some competition, beef him up a little and continue to coach him and I think he stands a decent chance at being at being a higher tiered starting DB in this league.

Another great find from Beane and co.   

Foster and Wallace appear to be staples of this organization moving forward.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My strongest memory of Levi from this season was from the Jags game, where the WR he was covering caught a TD and he laid on the ground trying to rip the ball out or claim they both had it or something - he refused to give up on the play. It was immediately before the fight... not sure if it led to the fight? 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5

Great addition.  I think we are in the mix to add 1 good CB this offseason because injuries happen and we can’t afford to throw Philip Gaines type players on the field.  

What was Taron Johnson’s rating?  I remember him being Humber 4 or 5 a week ago

Edited by NewEra

He is aces in coverage.  Plus I love his story! 

He has to clean up his run support and tackling technique. Granted he was probably put in a position to have to make these plays more than normal.  The Bills didn't set the edge well in a few games (like New England), but his tackling was exposed as an area of development several times.

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He had a much better game in Week 17 - finally displayed a willingness to get his hands dirty and tackle.  Same with Edmunds for that matter.  Still need to upgrade the position in 2019.  Wallace is a nice, capable reserve but not yet a solution at the #2 CB spot.

You're just saying that because he was undrafted. Is Denzel Ward a solution in Cleveland?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He had a much better game in Week 17 - finally displayed a willingness to get his hands dirty and tackle.  Same with Edmunds for that matter.  Still need to upgrade the position in 2019.  Wallace is a nice, capable reserve but not yet a solution at the #2 CB spot.

Huh? 

• Like (+1) 2

I believe he has locked up our number 2 corner spot for the long term. Let's not forget that he played extremely well as a ROOKIE, and I even saw some metrics where he was playing as well as or better than Tre'Davious White at times. 

With White, Wallace, and Johnson in the slot, and Micah and Jordan at safety, our secondary has the makings of a dominant unit for years to come.

• Like (+1) 8

The Bills have far better luck with Alabama players they pickup at UDFAs than those they draft.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe he has locked up our number 2 corner spot for the long term. Let's not forget that he played extremely well as a ROOKIE, and I even saw some metrics where he was playing as well as or better than Tre'Davious White at times. 

With White, Wallace, and Johnson in the slot, and Micah and Jordan at safety, our secondary has the makings of a dominant unit for years to come.

I wouldn't mind some FA pickups to shore up the defense (along with offense) and then go all-offense in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Im willing to give him a chance as a CB2 next season. We have much bigger holes to fill.

46 minutes ago, Magox said:

Just about every time I saw Levi he seemed to always be in good position to make the play.  I thought he played extremely well and has earned the right to be the front runner for the position next year.  I don't believe we need to try to draft high to try to replace him, just bring in some competition, beef him up a little and continue to coach him and I think he stands a decent chance at being at being a higher tiered starting DB in this league.

Another great find from Beane and co.   

Foster and Wallace appear to be staples of this organization moving forward.

You know...that speaks to the depth that Alabama has year in and year out.  Players that can't even crack their starting line-up play well in the NFL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.  But even then, I'd like to see them draft another DB in the later rounds this year, or even find Levi 2.0.  If the Bills can keep developing and cranking out DBs in a pass-heavy league, that's a good problem to have.  

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Really, so how should they improve, use a number 1 draft pick on a CB?  Well if they had done that last year, whoever it was wouldn't have been as good as Wallace.

Is this the opposite of "I've heard of him, so sign him"  Since he was undrafted, you just know he's not going to be any good.

No team can afford 22 all pros playing on the filed.  Having a guy as the #2 who played as well as Wallace and you're in very good shape there.  Do they need more depth, yes, but don't need to look for a starter.  Was it somehow a fluke as no other teams knew him so didn't know how to play against him, possibly but nobody knows that answer.  Plus if that were the case would be the same for other rookies too.

I'd say look for a decent CB for depth and if Wallace does somehow drop off, you have another similar quality option. If he plays the same or even improves slightly you're all set.

2 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Wonder where Taron Johnson ranked - would be pretty neat to have 2 of the top 10-12 rookies at the position per PFF especially given one was a 4th rounder and one an undrafted free agent. 

He was in this weekly snapshot until he got hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I get the impression they are leaning toward keeping him to atleast compete for the 2nd CB position, unless there’s a CB they really like at 9

• Haha (+1) 1

There is one thing that I hope by now everyone realizes: Never, ever question Sean McDermott on his taste in defensive backs. The man knows how to identify and coach talent at that position. Hyde and Poyer are the best examples. Afterthoughts in free agency -- especially Poyer -- that no one really had high expectations for. Now they're an excellent tandem in their prime. White, Johnson, Wallace. Even Ryan Lewis has been serviceable in his time on the field. Vontae Davis and Philip Gaines were swings and misses, to be sure, but overall, I have not a single fear with regard to the quality of our secondary in the years to come.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Denzel Ward made the Pro Bowl.  He was the 4th pick in the first round.  When Cleveland chose Ward, Denver canceled the trade with us, took Bradley Chubb....which enabled us to NOT have to give up both 1st round picks to get Josh Allen.....and as a result we were able to get Tremaine Edmunds later on.  So, thank you Cleveland.  We got Allen, Edmunds, and now Levi Wallace....rated higher than Ward.  (Cleveland didn't have anything to do with our signing Wallace, of course, but I thank them anyway.)  Taron Johnson was having a solid year till he got hurt.  So, I'd say our defensive backfield is pretty damn good.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, gjv001 said:

Wallace should ask for a raise.

I’m pretty sure UDFAs do get bonuses at the end of the year based on playing time and performance. Part of the CBA I believe. I recall Seantrel Henderson getting a nice check after his rookie year here. 

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think we need to keep drafting secondary and trying to develop them.  I'm not sure how (lack of reps comes to mind), but we have to find a way to consistently put out the current level of talent in the secondary, no matter who leaves, or gets injured, or old.  A dominant secondary is a key piece to winning against today's QBs, and I want it to be an identity for us.

• Like (+1) 1

Not surprised in the least as the All 22 bears out his high ranking. He quietly solidified the #2 CB role since his insertion into the lineup and the weekly guest star appearance at the position came to an end. His story is remarkable on so many levels. To do what he did at Alabama is rare. Can’t help but root for the kid. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

I think we need to keep drafting secondary and trying to develop them.  I'm not sure how (lack of reps comes to mind), but we have to find a way to consistently put out the current level of talent in the secondary, no matter who leaves, or gets injured, or old.  A dominant secondary is a key piece to winning against today's QBs, and I want it to be an identity for us.

Fully agree. Take a corner every year. EVERY YEAR. No matter what.

But boy, it sure is nice to go into the offseason with one less PRESSING need. Lord knows there's lots of work to do on offense without having to worry about finding a bona fide #2 corner.

• Like (+1) 2

This is why I'm adamantly opposed to taking a CB in round one. If there's one position McDermott and Beane can fill off the scrapheap, it's corner. I'm sure we'll add a guy or two, but I'm generally pleased with the stable of corners on the roster.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm adamantly opposed to taking a CB in round one. If there's one position McDermott and Beane can fill off the scrapheap, it's corner. I'm sure we'll add a guy or two, but I'm generally pleased with the stable of corners on the roster.

I agree. Josh Norman was a 6th rd pick and McD turned him into an all pro... then he left Carolina and wasn’t the same. Whether it’s the scheme or the coaching, I’ll take it. 

• Like (+1) 3

McD did a pretty good job of identifying talent in year 1, but the duo McBeane has been even better.

McD 2017: 4 out of 6 draft picks are starters: Tre, Zay, Dawkins, and Milano.  Croom was signed as an UDFA, and is (at worst) the #2 TE.

McBeane 2018: 4 out of 8 draft picks are starters: Allen, Edmunds, Johnson, Teller, and a 5th, Phillips, is a key rotational D-lineman. UDFAs Foster and Wallace are starters.

In just 2 years they have added 10 starters through the draft, with 2 others providing significant playing time.

Really looking forward to what they can do with this year's 10 picks.

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Really, so how should they improve, use a number 1 draft pick on a CB?  Well if they had done that last year, whoever it was wouldn't have been as good as Wallace.

Is this the opposite of "I've heard of him, so sign him"  Since he was undrafted, you just know he's not going to be any good.

No team can afford 22 all pros playing on the filed.  Having a guy as the #2 who played as well as Wallace and you're in very good shape there.  Do they need more depth, yes, but don't need to look for a starter.  Was it somehow a fluke as no other teams knew him so didn't know how to play against him, possibly but nobody knows that answer.  Plus if that were the case would be the same for other rookies too.

I'd say look for a decent CB for depth and if Wallace does somehow drop off, you have another similar quality option. If he plays the same or even improves slightly you're all set.

Yeah, if the Bills have their starting 3 CBs and 2 Ss set, no need to use a high pick on one since there are major needs on offense.

11 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Wallace should ask for a raise.

He can't until after his 3rd season.  If he keeps playing like this...he'll get one.