If McDermott doesn't start Barkley against Jacksonville he should be Fired

Kevin1778

There is a very fair argument to be made that Barkley should get the start against Jacksonville. Allen is still raw and could benefit from more time on the bench. Barkley showed he can steer the ship in a meaningless season. We don't know for sure Allen is a franchise QB yet, he hasn't earned the right to replace a QB that played quite well. JMO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Luka said:

I'd keep Barkley in a backup role no doubt. But Allen needs to play. Peterman can finally be cut and probably Anderson as well.

I'm mixed up. I really want to see Barkley as much as possible, and figure out what to make of Allen as fast as possible. We need to know if Allen is really the guy.

JMO but I'd just go with the hot hand in Barkley with Barkley and Allen having a mutual understanding that they may be getting shuffled the depth chart going forward around to get a sense of next year's Quarterback situation. Nothing negative about getting benched but ride a hot hand until it's over and see if the other dude rides a hot streak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kevin1778 said:

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

No need for Anderson or Peterman.

I'll have to watch ghe tape.....

calm down

• Haha (+1) 1

We have a quarterback folks. Sure the Jets are the worst team in the NFL right now but Barkley throws the ball down the field and is light years ahead of Allen. 

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

we have a decent QB now. Allen is so raw and so inaccurate even though he has potential as a big athlete. the other 2 guys not even worth mentioning.So a solid backup QB is way better than whatever we had. We have been lacking even the most basic QB skills out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm mixed up. I really want to see Barkley as much as possible, and figure out what to make of Allen as fast as possible. We need to know if Allen is really the guy.

JMO but I'd just go with the hot hand in Barkley with Barkley and Allen having a mutual understanding that they may be getting shuffled the depth chart going forward around to get a sense of next year's Quarterback situation. Nothing negative about getting benched but ride a hot hand until it's over and see if the other dude rides a hot streak.

If we were in a playoff race I might agree but at 3-7 the only thing to play for is the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

I think anyone posting this nonsense should be fired. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Good god here we go again. Peterman threads about how he is a descent backup QB. 

Now this. 

Allen should absolutely start

Barkley is better than Allen at this point.Let allen watch a QB who knows at least the basics of the game----How to throw a short pass with proper timing...how to throw without getting your receivers killed...how to move his feet and not look like a wooden indian...and doesnt lock in forever on the primary.Allen will have his time. Up til today all Allen got to see was crap. Let him watch a real QB for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Tcali said:

we have a decent QB now. Allen is so raw and so inaccurate even though he has potential as a big athlete. the other 2 guys not even worth mentioning.So a solid backup QB is way better than whatever we had. We have been lacking even the most basic QB skills out there.

It's one good game in an otherwise pretty poor NFL career , against a team that seems much worse than the Bills.

6 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Barkley is better than Allen at this point.Let allen watch a QB who knows at least the basics of the game----How to throw a short pass with proper timing...how to throw without getting your receivers killed...how to move his feet and not look like a wooden indian...and doesnt lock in forever on the primary.Allen will have his time. Up til today all Allen got to see was crap. Let him watch a real QB for a while.

What’s the purpose of starting Barkley over Allen?

They are 3 and 7.

Let Allen start the remaining 6 games and get him more experience going into next year

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

What’s the purpose of starting Barkley over Allen?

They are 3 and 7.

Let Allen start the remaining 6 games and get him more experience going into next year

the purpose is to let him watch a halfway decent QB at work,He has been looking at guys(one especially) i wouldnt guarantee could start on a good high school team...AND--lets win a few games.Its good for the rest of the players and the fanbase.We are always locked into a future that never comes w Buffalo Bills football.

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

1479452644_5549.gif

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

the purpose is to let him watch a halfway decent QB at work,He has been looking at guys(one especially) i wouldnt guarantee could start on a good high school team...AND--lets win a few games.Its good for the rest of the players and the fanbase.We are always locked into a future that never comes w Buffalo Bills football.

Half descent QB? He was on his couch just 2 weeks ago. He played a good game. But Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here lol. 

Whats the the purpose of winning a few games at this point? To try and get to 5-11? No purpose in that at all.

Its about 2019. Let Allen learn by playing him.

Barkley vs Allen shouldn’t even be an argument. 

Allen should start and he most likely will be after the bye 

14 minutes ago, Tcali said:

This season is lost......

Put Allen in and keep Barkley to back him up

By the way....most of your observations of Allen here are incorrect

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It's one good game in an otherwise pretty poor NFL career , against a team that seems much worse than the Bills.

Sure but he's only started a total of 6 games in his career, all in 2016. Since this year is meaningless what's the harm in giving him another game and seeing if he is for real? Worst case scenario he sucks and we start Allen the following week. I like Allen but no one is anointing him as the guy yet. We might as well see what we have in Barkley while we can IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, the Bills last 6 games are against the Jags, Lions, and 4 division games. The only really good team is New England.  With competent QB play, they could make a run.  Not saying it's likely, but the vets in the locker room may talk to McDermott about riding the hot hand.

2 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

No offense, but up to today Barkley had more in common with Nathan Peterman than any successful NFL QB.

His pro stats since being drafted in 2013 were 18 Ints to 8 TDs. I appreciate the steel ones he dangled out there coming off a high school practice field and stepping into an NFL game and playing well, but one game does not a franchise QB make.

Allen needs to play and they need to open the offense and let him chuck the rock.    Kudos to Barkley but he's a backup qb who came in and surprised the Jets.  Ho[efully  Allen after sitting sees the field better and trusts what he is seeing and lets it rip

When Allen is ready he should play, and it should be this season.  The plan to bring him along slowly is over.

Barkley should not start unless Allen is not ready but Barkley should replace Peterman and Anderson.

Next year, Barkley should be brought back to compete for the job. 

Edited by Bob in STL

Bad thread starters should be fired!

Ridiculous, so is the title of this thread, but I get it's a knockoff.

As for Barkley being the "found" backup QB, IDK his contract detail. Was he signed just for this year or longer?

I can't wait to see Allen play again.

Daboll had a great game plan, his best so far. And he should look similar for Josh.

3 hours ago, Kevin1778 said:

Barkley

Allen

Thomas (Emergency)

Nope, Allen starts no matter what.

I think the title of this thread is backwards - If Allen is ready and McDermott starts Barkley in a misguided effort to go with the "hot hand" he should be fired.  As others have noted:

*  We are not in the playoff race which would be the ONLY reason to go with the "hot hand" at this point.  Barkley is not the answer.  Whether Allen is remains to be seen.  But given that we used the 7th pick in the draft to take him AND we knew he needed to be developed not starting him at this point would be coaching malpractice on McDermott's part.

*  Allen has been thrown to the wolves so it's to late to pull him back.  He needs to get NFL snaps.  It may not be pretty and he could very well stink against Jacksonville but so what.  This season is about developing Allen and getting information on whether he is the guy or not. 

*  Don't underestimate how much they could screw-up Allen mentally if they start playing games with him if he's ready to come back.  He seems to be rearing to go and we have the chance to see his body of work over a 6 game run.  It would be managerial & coaching incompetence to not take this opportunity.