Josh Allen injury: “Week-to-Week” with elbow sprain; Returned to practice 11/2

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, The_Dude said:

We’re gonna sit him in the bench to hide our *****up is basically what they’re saying. 

This is verging on tin foil hat territory.  We all saw Allen get drilled in his arm with a helmet, be unable to throw on the next play, and take a knee.

The exam of his elbow and look of pain was also there to be seen.

The injury seems to be real.

Edit: here's the video of the trainer performing the test that Chao has been diagnosing from

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Looper said:

So we're back to what should have been the original plan with this team. Play the vet (McCarron->Anderson) until week 13 until the Bills are out of playoff contention and then get Allen reps weeks 14-17.

Not exactly. Allen will now be out of practice meaning he will miss a ton of valuable reps with the scout team.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup, and Adam Wainwright is the cautionary tale of continuing to play with the partial tear. That said, Wainwright was lights out when he came back.

Well here's hoping Allen doesn't need the surgery and gets his full arm strength back.

It was sad seeing Jim Kelly go from being the huge armed passer in the USFL to the feeble winged soft tosser with the swollen bursa sac the size of a grapefruit on his elbow at the end of his career.

This kind of injury is no way to start a 20 year HOF career.........but in 10 years maybe changing UCL's will be like changing brake pads.  

45 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Allen has to sit for a few weeks. He's been thrown into the fire and now gets a chance to work on the mental part of the game without the stigma of being yanked for sucking. A Grade 2 sprain can 100% heal and will have zero effect on his arm strength long term. 

God help us all if McBeane trots Peterman out there. The sound of so many Bills Fan's heads exploding will make a Sonic boom

I agree, let him sit and dare I say learn (if that is possible) from Anderson. Or perhaps he can learn how NOT to play from watching the inevitable upcoming starts of Nate Peterman. One other benefit of sitting with this horrendous turnstile offensive line is that at least Allen reduces his chances of a devastating injury.  Finally I did observe Allen looking kind of angry when he was on the sideline after his injury. Almost like it was killing him that Peterman was in and he was not in charge of the offense. That to me is a good sign. We need that kind of hard lesson to motivate Allen for when he does come back. He has to be better!

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is verging on tin foil hat territory.  We all saw Allen get drilled in his arm with a helmet, be unable to throw on the next play, and take a knee.

The exam of his elbow and look of pain was also there to be seen.

The injury seems to be real.

I go back to what you said about the injury perhaps not being *entirely* new though.

I've been a bit underwhelmed by some of his "all arm" kinda' throws recently relative to some of the stuff we saw at Wyoming and in the offseason........this dude threw a ton of passes this offseason and has taken an absolute beating in 10 games counting the preseason.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Our Offense will be significantly better now if Anderson plays. We still may have a look at a season here. Absolutely can win this week with DA and should have at least a chance on the Monday night game. We would have been humiliated if Allen played in that game.

I have little concern about the “season”, but great concern about the future. 

33 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

PS - rest does NOT fix a tear. The question is to risk it and keep playing. Fyi, my son (now a freshamn college pitcher) had a ucl sprain last fall (stretch, not tear) and his surgeon operates on yankee players. We got the lowdown about what tears mean.

Ligaments are relatively avascular cinnective tissue.  They can repair on their own but it takes a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

Strange how this worked out.  I said after the Tennessee game there is very little chance McBeane wants to start Allen in high profile games vs NE and Chicago.  He’s absolutely not ready for Belicheck and that D or keeping up the scoring w Brady.  Or Chicago’s D-line.  

So here we are, the coach gets bailed out somewhat by an unfortunate injury. 

They can throw Anderson or Peterman out there and whatever happens, it won’t look bad for the kid or the coach that had a duty to play him.

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have little concern about the “season”, but great concern about the future. 

I am more concerned with what I have seen from Allen on the field ,then I am about an injury. I think we might better draft another QB or look for a younger vet in the offseason. Might want to unwrap a plan B here. You know, just incase

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Not exactly. Allen will now be out of practice meaning he will miss a ton of valuable reps with the scout team.

But he did start 5 games and gained valuable game reps, and had a ton of valuable practice reps with the 1s... so if we are comparing to the original plan of him not starting at all until November or December, that likely offsets the scout team reps he would miss while out for a month

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Lol.  

People have to to sort through dozens of copy paste twitter posts form half a dozen “experts” all saying the same thing  by a grumpy poster and you have to ask Yolo to accommodate you?

Have you asked the same of him?

First of all, you're doing an incredible job ignoring me.

Second of all, there are 2 different types of threads when it all boils down to it on this board, those presenting news for discussion and those presenting opinions for discussion. Much like the Shady allegations thread over the Summer (which reached nearly 200 pages), some of us jump into those threads for the news first and discussion 2nd since we generally stay away from Twitter. So jumping to the first post and seeing updated news from a poster graciously editing the OP (which takes all of 5 seconds--click link of update, copy link, paste in OP) would be very helpful and eternally appreciated from those of us who instead click on page 13 to see where the most recent Twitter update is and find talk of Allen missing all of 2019.

Yolo doesn't have to do it. It was a request. And I don't think I was being nearly the petulant child you're making me out to be by asking.

Third of all, stop being such a petulant child.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

They are the same.  Sprained ligaments have tearing of fibers.  

Yes, this is it. A tear in the tendon does not usually mean there’s some type of full tear like an incision made by scissors. You are absolutely right. Also, these tears typically heal with rest and rehab. I would imagine Josh, given his youth and natural recovery ability might heal pretty quickly and be as good as new.But, as a fan I get the concern and I have a little bit of it, also.

I hate this.  Hopefully we look back in a few months and realize it was nothing, but the conflicting reports are unnerving.

I don’t mind him having some time off for awhile, though.  It should benefit as long as he fully recovers.

i don’t know or even care who is available - they HAVE to sign someone.  Make Romo an offer.  Even Fouts.

8 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Yes, this is it. A tear in the tendon does not usually mean there’s some type of full tear like an incision made by scissors. You are absolutely right. Also, these tears typically heal with rest and rehab. I would imagine Josh, given his youth and natural recovery ability might heal pretty quickly and be as good as new.But, as a fan I get the concern and I have a little bit of it, also.

I think concern is certainly warranted.  Unjustified panic is not

26 minutes ago, Success said:

I hate this.  Hopefully we look back in a few months and realize it was nothing, but the conflicting reports are unnerving.

I don’t mind him having some time off for awhile, though.  It should benefit as long as he fully recovers.

i don’t know or even care who is available - they HAVE to sign someone.  Make Romo an offer.  Even Fouts.

There aren’t any conflicting reports 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Has @Doc or @Mr. WEO offered any comments?

Oh hello!  Just wandered through this thread and laughing at its arc from, "lose the locker room" to "Tommy John surgery"!!

In the end, it's a sprain and back in a few weeks.

My favorite part is the David Chao love.  This guy is a drunk, a pull pusher/addict, and, worst of all I think: an absolute hack as a surgeon.  Gruesome complications.  Totally discredited.  A pariah in his field--and justifiably so.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

PRP (platlet rich plasma) injections will be used here, 3-6 weeks of treatment, rest, rehab and he will be healed. 

If his elbow doesn’t respond to treatment then surgery would be needed, but no reason to expect that he wouldn’t. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27552453/

PRP?  Might as well just inject vaporized $100 bills into the wounded area.  Total voodoo.  I don't agree with many insurance coverage exclusions, but this one is legit.   No solid studies back up the use of this stuff and no one knows exactly how it might work, even if it did.  It appeals to rich athletes without obvious surgically correctable problems.  Often they have to leave the country to get this therapy..

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh hello!  Just wandered through this thread and laughing at its arc from, "lose the locker room" to "Tommy John surgery"!!

In the end, it's a spartan and back in a few weeks.

My favorite part is the David Chao love.  This guy is a drunk, a pull pusher/addict, and, worst of all I think: an absolute hack as a surgeon.  Gruesome complications.  Totally discredited.  A pariah in his field--and justifiably so.

PRP?  Might as well just inject vaporized $100 bills into the wounded area.  Total voodoo.  I don't agree with many insurance coverage exclusions, but this one is legit.   No solid studies back up the use of this stuff and no one knows exactly how it might work, even if it did.  It appeals to rich athletes without obvious surgically correctable problems.  Often they have to leave the country to get this therapy..

Isn't it like $800/injection? I mean don't get me wrong that's expensive, but cortisone's over $300 and you probably get some placebo benefit with the PRP...heck I'd go for a couple of them in the knees twice a year.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Isn't it like $800/injection? I mean don't get me wrong that's expensive, but cortisone's over $300 and you probably get some placebo benefit with the PRP...heck I'd go for a couple of them in the knees twice a year.

If you want placebo, tell your doctor to pretend that the cortisone he/she injecting is a special "plasma" derived from your own blood, filled with healing "factors"---but tell him/her that it's ok if its really just saline, you know, to keep it cheap.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you want placebo, tell your doctor to pretend that the cortisone he/she injecting is a special "plasma" derived from your own blood, filled with healing "factors"---but tell him/her that it's ok if its really just saline, you know, to keep it cheap.

Double placebo! Even placebo squared...that is some next level sawbones.

Personally I go for melted Paleolithic ice cores and some tumeric. For inflammation and such. And it can actually be ingested through your mouth instead of injected. Fear of needles.