Bills Release WR Jeremy Kerley; Sign DT Robert Thomas from PS

26CornerBlitz

If you're committing to Josh Allen for the rest of the year and beyond this move makes sense.  To play to his strengths, you either want tall WR's with a large catch radius or speedy WR's who can stretch the field.  A short, possession WR is not who you want on the field with Josh Allen.  I don't quite know why we signed him in the first place.

Edited by Doc Brown

53 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well, I’d chill with the rhetoric with phrases like ballistic. Maybe sub in a word like critical.

from there, take the 1.13m we just flushed for a single game from kerley. Add 3 more for Coleman. You are starting to get towards “why not just sign a decent wr instead of wasting money”

then look at DT with 20m tied up in dareus/star. Think carrying dareus and signing an OT or OG would’ve been better for this roster?

then, look at the 10m in QBs not on the roster and peterman starting the season for us.

then look at vontae 

then Trent ped Murphy.

then paying dimarco for like 2 snaps.

you start to see why people are questioning resource allocation and if better planning avoids some of this.

yes we have a lot of dead money but did we inflict that unnecessarily? And did we waste some that we spent? Is guaranteeing a guy over $1m and cutting him less than a week later good business?

There is 26 pages of whining going on for a thread called "Bills release Jeremy Kerley", if that isn't going ballistic then what, a meltdown? Tempur tantrums? not sure what the correct word is there but critical? You're basing Murphy/Louteleilei and Davis all off 1 game of which Davis wasn't even in for due to injury so you have no merit yet on any of those players. Are you saying Mccaron was going to save us on Sunday had he been here? Did you see him in preseason or did you just watch some youtube highlights from him on Alabama? The entire fanbase knew this was a rebuilding year, the HC and GM have all pretty much insinuated it have they not? And you go out of your way to leave out some key components like Incognito and Woods both retiring prematurely which I'm sure were not in the plans and with the already dead cap those positions were never able to be filled properly. We finally have a HC and GM on the same page looking like they are steering us in the right direction and many of the fan base wants them gone, I can't wrap my head around it, we filled in some key positions in FA with adequate players, none of which elite but enough to make us at least appear competitive but it's been quite obvious were looking to lose for 1 more high and solid draft class next year and our rookie QB is going to get a jump start in his progression week 2, we can all beotch and moan about it or just hope our rookie QB improves every game and we can start watching him learn from his mistakes since that is all we really have to look forward to this season imo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

2 hours ago, SJDK said:

The thing most concerning thing to me about how our roster is being handled is that we have known we were down 3 o-linemen months and months ago. We knew we had basically table scraps at wide receiver months and months ago.

We did nothing about that?! Not only did we do nothing but we draft a quarterback to sit behind an “experienced vet” so he wouldn’t have to eat from a  straw after his rookie year. McDamnit then proceeds to TRADE THE VET and make our rookie literally take their lumps and be held accountable for their lack of action.

Now our rookie has less than starters being trusted to keep him upright and at a point when we had table scraps at wide receiver already we throw away Kerley. He isn’t even a “really good” receiver but he was starting caliber for us. 

Amen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

People are up in arms over a Jeremy Kerley release? Has it really gotten to Buffalo Bills message board bad in here already? It's Jeremy freakin Kerley people, what help was he really going to give Josh Allen? What help has he given any QB throughout his tenure in the NFL?

And now I ask you, name our receivers 

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

YES 

lets Sign a DT and Release a WR way to help Allen Jesus 

begining to question the process 

Didn't they release A. Washington early this week?  I am not sure Kerley can provide any help to Allen at this time!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They released a guy making no money who is least likely to sign with someone else. No salary implications and they will probably be able to sign him back. Cutting Holmes has cap implications and they must feel they would lose McCloud and Foster. This move makes sense. 

This dude is going down with the ship. And I can't wait to see how you act after it goes down. 

2 hours ago, SJDK said:

The thing most concerning thing to me about how our roster is being handled is that we have known we were down 3 o-linemen months and months ago. We knew we had basically table scraps at wide receiver months and months ago.

We did nothing about that?! Not only did we do nothing but we draft a quarterback to sit behind an “experienced vet” so he wouldn’t have to eat from a  straw after his rookie year. McDamnit then proceeds to TRADE THE VET and make our rookie literally take their lumps and be held accountable for their lack of action.

Now our rookie has less than starters being trusted to keep him upright and at a point when we had table scraps at wide receiver already we throw away Kerley. He isn’t even a “really good” receiver but he was starting caliber for us. 

All valid points and concerns.

So what do you make out of all that?

Deliberate tank season from the Bills?  Just standard incompetence?  

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

You cut a vet who doesn't have to go through waivers because you need a DT for the game. 

I bet he gets re-signed at some point. 

Plenty of other people could have been cut. The FB never used, all the receivers below Kerley, Jones, a couple of back up offensive linemen. I'm sure a ****ty db exists somewhere.

I haven't seen this mentioned but this team game planned to get Kerley involved on the first drive, and I was pissed. I'm sure if i made that post a lot of you would be mad last week. This week he's cut. A disconnect exists between giving a guy two targets opening week then cutting him next week.

I don't agree with how this team is being ran at all.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Maybe a desperate gambit to generate something, anything in the way of defensive improvement to help the team be more competitive overall by taking some pressure off of the offense, and thus you know, help Allen—oh shoot, I tried but looking back on my effort here I’ve got nothing in the way of a good explanation for their practice squad pickup...you are all dumber now for having read this ?

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't hate this actually. This season is lost... let's find out if Zay is worth keeping around long term and whether we have anything in Foster and Ray Ray. 

Kerley was another of their FA sticking plasters designed to keep us somewhat competitive in 2018. They haven't worked and he isn't part of the long term plan so let's have a look at guys who might be. 

I don't think his subtraction makes much difference to Josh Allen. 

Releasing Kerley and trading McCarron must help on the much loved comp pick formula too! 

7 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I stand by my comment

Which comment? That I should never post again or that Dawkins is better? Assuming the latter, I actually am in complete agreement about who is the better player going forward, and Dawkins is obviously more important in the organizational sense (young, under control, talented, plays LT). I’m just saying that over the last 9 games or so (going back to last year) Ducasse was the third best player after Incognito and Wood. He did get exposed in the Chiefs game in the first half, bit otherwise he has done his job. Do I expect that to last much longer? Perhaps not given previous performances, but he has been better than I thought he’d be of late.

Dawkins had a couple of rough outings last season (eg, Saints, San Diego), but that’s to be expected of a rookie. He had a good rookie season overall and I expect him to improve.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

you're focusing on one or two moves that I have no problems with. There are other, very head scratching, moves.

The context for what McBeane are doing with their many moves revolves around a major rebuilding project. The roster and organization they inherited is being dismantled and rebuilt. Few people (including me) are going to agree with all the many moves. This is not a one or two year project. This is going to take in my estimation at least four years. Hopefully, the major leap forward will come next year when we have a large pool of cap money to work with and a full complement of picks. 

I'm not a Benjamin fan. I have never been impressed with his work habits, and I don't consider him to be a #1 receiver. But I do understand why the Bills got him last year when the Bills were a fringe playoff team. In the process of rebooting the roster there is going to be a lot of churning of the roster. Because much of it will be at the fringes I'm not going to be caught up in it. My point is that you don't have to agree with all the moves. But for the most part their has been a logic and rationality to them. 

While many people got caught up in the Peterman frenzy (Gunner most notably) I am not so traumatized as they are because it simply accelerated the planned transition to the rookie qb. The mistake many people are making is that they are looking at last year's playoff experience as a baseline. Make no mistake it was a fluke and didn't represent where this team was ranked. Although expectations were raised because of last year's ending of the playoff drought this was never going to be a quick fix project. In the short term it's not going to be easy and it's going to be painful. Some people face the harsh reality by creating their own fiction. I'm not one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The context for what McBeane are doing with their many moves revolves around a major rebuilding project. The roster and organization they inherited is being dismantled and rebuilt. Few people (including me) are going to agree with all the many moves. This is not a one or two year project. This is going to take in my estimation at least four years. Hopefully, the major leap forward will come next year when we have a large pool of cap money to work with and a full complement of picks. 

I'm not a Benjamin fan. I have never been impressed with his work habits, and I don't consider him to be a #1 receiver. But I do understand why the Bills got him last year when the Bills were a fringe playoff team. In the process of rebooting the roster there is going to be a lot of churning of the roster. Because much of it will be at the fringes I'm not going to be caught up in it. My point is that you don't have to agree with all the moves. But for the most part their has been a logic and rationality to them. 

While many people got caught up in the Peterman frenzy (Gunner most notably) I am not so traumatized as they are because it simply accelerated the planned transition to the rookie qb. The mistake many people are making is that they are looking at last year's playoff experience as a baseline. Make no mistake it was a fluke and didn't represent where this team was ranked. Although expectations were raised because of last year's ending of the playoff drought this was never going to be a quick fix project. In the short term it's not going to be easy and it's going to be painful. Some people face the harsh reality by creating their own fiction. I'm not one of them. 

Ditching talent, apparently on a whim, doesn't help the team today or tomorrow.  Take a look at the 2017 FA off season. What do the Bills have to show for it? They had to spend carefully. What makes you believe that they'll be better at talent evaluation going forward? The most recent move, cutting a WR on a one year contract, does nothing to help today or tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with most of this for what it's worth. But Nathan Peterman still sucks and should not be on this roster. 

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Ditching talent, apparently on a whim, doesn't help the team today or tomorrow.  Take a look at the 2017 FA off season. What do the Bills have to show for it? They had to spend carefully. What makes you believe that they'll be better at talent evaluation going forward? The most recent move, cutting a WR on a one year contract, does nothing to help today or tomorrow.

If you are referring to Watkins and Dareus these are players that this new regime didn't believe fit into their long term plans. Without question you take a step back when you give up talent. As I said in a prior post when McDermott took over it was with the intention of deconstructing and then reconstructing. It wasn't a one or two year task. 

The Kerley transaction is baffling to me. But I'm not going to get discombobulated over a fringe type of player. Where I agree with you is how this team evaluates the market players is going to be a decisive factor toward success. Murphy has been hurt so I'm going to hold my judgment. And Latul---- has not been impressive in his early start but it is still very early.

I'm not a zealous true believer in this regime. But it's still very early in their tenure. It's going to take time. Without a doubt it's going to take a lot of fortitude to stay steady in this probably tough year. The boat may be rocking in turbulent waters but I not jumping out just yet.   

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with most of this for what it's worth. But Nathan Peterman still sucks and should not be on this roster. 

You remind of of a doctor working in the emergency room when the EMT personnel just wheeled in a patient in cardiac arrest. Your response is to get fixated on the hang nail while the patient is gasping and fading away. Gunner, get your priorities straight! The backup qb should be the least of your worries. I'm trying to help you. When you go off the rails I'm simply trying to get you back on track. :)

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are referring to Watkins and Dareus these are players that this new regime didn't believe fit into their long term plans. Without question you take a step back when you give up talent. As I said in a prior post when McDermott took over it was with the intention of deconstructing and then reconstructing. It wasn't a one or two year task. 

The Kerley transaction is baffling to me. But I'm not going to get discombobulated over a fringe type of player. Where I agree with you is how this team evaluates the market players is going to be a decisive factor toward success. Murphy has been hurt so I'm going to hold my judgment. And Latul---- has not been impressive in his early start but it is still very early.

I'm not a zealous true believer in this regime. But it's still very early in their tenure. It's going to take time. Without a doubt it's going to take a lot of fortitude to stay steady in this probably tough year. The boat may be rocking in turbulent waters but I not jumping out just yet.   

I was glad to see both Dareus and Watkins leave. I'll repeat, look at the 2017 off season when the team had to spend carefully. What does the team have to show for it? An overpaid DT who is a star in name only, a fragile DE, some throw away O-lineman.  That's what they got when they had to be careful and watch every dollar.  What kind of spree will they go on in 2018?  What makes you think that their talent evaluation will be better?

I had very high hopes for our GM/coach combo.  Those hopes have been dampened by some very head scratching moves.  I wonder if the "box" that a player needs to inhabit to fit The Process might be a bit too narrow.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You remind of of a doctor working in the emergency room when the EMT personnel just wheeled in a patient in cardiac arrest. Your response is to get fixated on the hang nail while the patient is gasping and fading away. Gunner, get your priorities straight! The backup qb should be the least of your worries. I'm trying to help you. When you go off the rails I'm simply trying to get you back on track. :)

If the patient was the NFL career of Nathan Peterman I think I'd rather just put it out of its misery. 

Anyway I am at risk of thread derailing. Kerley is no great loss. Excited to see the Bills get the young guys on the field in this mess of and offense and start seeing which of those are pieces we can use going forward. I'd get Teller, McCloud and Foster all out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If the patient was the NFL career of Nathan Peterman I think I'd rather just put it out of its misery. 

Anyway I am at risk of thread derailing. Kerley is no great loss. Excited to see the Bills get the young guys on the field in this mess of and offense and start seeing which of those are pieces we can use going forward. I'd get Teller, McCloud and Foster all out there. 

DNR! DNR!

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don’t think it’s a deliberate tank but I do think that the goal on their part must be along the lines of:

1. How much salary can we get off the books?

2. What can we get through this year with at the bare minimum without having a fan mutiny or a player mutiny?

The big problem with this is that it feels like a tank to a lot of us. Even if they don’t think about it in those terms. The other issue i have is that these decisions don’t do much in the way of protecting their future investments or making them better

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

With respect to the highlighted area we are in accord. When you rebuild there is going to be a lot of churning of personnel. I'm not going to be too bothered with the backside departures and replacements. The most important issue for this season and franchise is whether Josh Allen demonstrates that he can be a franchise qb? I'm not going to go astray and be distracted by frivolous side issues such as the backup. I'll leave that up to those who relish wallowing 

With respect to the Peterman issue you are irredeemable. Every life is precious----even the one's you don't personal value. :)

21 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I'll repeat, look at the 2017 off season when the team had to spend carefully. What does the team have to show for it? An overpaid DT who is a star in name only, a fragile DE, some throw away O-lineman.  That's what they got when they had to be careful and watch every dollar.  What kind of spree will they go on in 2018?  What makes you think that their talent evaluation will be better?

You answered your own question. They had to spend carefully which meant they had to sign second rate players at best. I don't know why everyone is acting like Star is terrible. He isn't Aaron Donald but he's doing his job, which is to eat up double teams and let the LBs roam free. Our run defense was fine last week. It was the last reason that we lost. Murphy has been injured, it happens. Beyond that I don't believe we spent more than $5 million in cap space on a single player. That's what you do in a rebuilding year, you take what you can get. This regime believes in building through the draft and so far they have done that. White, Edmunds, and Allen look like good 1st round picks. Zay looks like a bust, but Dawkins and Phillips look like good picks too and Milano is a steal in the 5th round. They've only had 2 drafts and a cap-controlled free agency to rebuild the team in their image. That's why I expected this season to be rough. They're not even close to being done. Next year we should see a significant jump and in 2020 we should be contenders for the AFC Championship. That's their plan.

20 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I was glad to see both Dareus and Watkins leave. I'll repeat, look at the 2017 off season when the team had to spend carefully. What does the team have to show for it? An overpaid DT who is a star in name only, a fragile DE, some throw away O-lineman.  That's what they got when they had to be careful and watch every dollar.  What kind of spree will they go on in 2018?  What makes you think that their talent evaluation will be better?

I had very high hopes for our GM/coach combo.  Those hopes have been dampened by some very head scratching moves.  I wonder if the "box" that a player needs to inhabit to fit The Process might be a bit too narrow.

Your point about their player purchases is valid. But the story on Murphy is still an open issue. Let's not assume that he is always going to be plagued with injuries. When healthy he is a full throttle and productive player. As you reasonably noted the high cost acquisition of the Samoan DT is still an open issue. Let's just give it a little more time and see how it develops. 

You bring up an issue that is starting to hover over the organization. Is McDermott's preferred player profile too limited to choir boys? That is an issue that many people at first spoke in hush tones but is now getting louder. Let's just wait before there is louder rumblings about McDermott's stifling christian way of doing business. My view is that he values workers and committed players who are self-motivated. It can come off as too sanctimonious and preachy. 

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your point about their player purchases is valid. But the story on Murphy is still an open issue. Let's not assume that he is always going to be plagued with injuries. When healthy he is a full throttle and productive player. As you reasonably noted the high cost acquisition of the Samoan DT is still an open issue. Let's just give it a little more time and see how it develops. 

You bring up an issue that is starting to hover over the organization. Is McDermott's preferred player profile too limited to choir boys? That is an issue that many people at first spoke in hush tones but is now getting louder. Let's just wait before there is louder rumblings about McDermott's stifling christian way of doing business. My view is that he values workers and committed players who are self-motivated. It can come off as too sanctimonious and preachy. 

Ray Ray inactive so going w 4 WRs and DTs today.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No Ray Ray McCoud today. 

& no Lee

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You answered your own question. They had to spend carefully which meant they had to sign second rate players at best. I don't know why everyone is acting like Star is terrible. He isn't Aaron Donald but he's doing his job, which is to eat up double teams and let the LBs roam free. Our run defense was fine last week. It was the last reason that we lost. Murphy has been injured, it happens. Beyond that I don't believe we spent more than $5 million in cap space on a single player. That's what you do in a rebuilding year, you take what you can get. This regime believes in building through the draft and so far they have done that. White, Edmunds, and Allen look like good 1st round picks. Zay looks like a bust, but Dawkins and Phillips look like good picks too and Milano is a steal in the 5th round. They've only had 2 drafts and a cap-controlled free agency to rebuild the team in their image. That's why I expected this season to be rough. They're not even close to being done. Next year we should see a significant jump and in 2020 we should be contenders for the AFC Championship. That's their plan.

Yeah, that’s what I do when I’m on a tight budget. I splurge on one overrated piece and grab up crap with the rest.

16 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Let me break it down for you:

Some of us understand that those guys were NOT getting it done. Some of us were sick of .500 football, because we understand that .500 football is the WORST possible outcome. You never get elite talent, you never get a shot at a QB.

.500 football is why we missed the playoffs for 17 years. The team never tried for excellence, and they are now. Part of that plan is to rip out the rot in the middle of the franchise.

Mango...those guys you listed? They were the rot. Overpaid, underperforming AVERAGE.

16 hours ago, joesixpack said:

And I'm ok with that, because in the long term I believe we will be better.

A LOT better.

You're entitled to disagree, of course. But in no way, shape or form am I obligated to think you're right.

So this is what striving for greatness looks like? 

Rivers is currently 7/7, 96 yards, 2 TD. Plus another 87 yards rushing at 8.7 yards per carry for LAC.... With 9 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. 

Inversely, Allen has been sacked 3 times in the second quarter alone. Again 9 minutes left.