Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

9 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And now the real 2018 season starts 

what's the over/under date when people argue the Bills are still in the playoff hunt if they win out and 35 other games work out with 31 of them being titanic upsets?

November 1st?

Another thing about starting Allen with our line being so crappy and him being a rookie and therefore prone to rookie mistakes that left him prone on the field is the third and 18 play. If Nate gets sacked on first or second the series is practically over right then. On the 3rd and 18 play, Josh escaped the rush and threw a 20+ yard completion for the first down with ease. If he gets sacked seven times he's still going to have chances. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Another thing about starting Allen with our line being so crappy and him being a rookie and therefore prone to rookie mistakes that left him prone on the field is the third and 18 play. If Nate gets sacked on first or second the series is practically over right then. On the 3rd and 18 play, Josh escaped the rush and threw a 20+ yard completion for the first down with ease. If he gets sacked seven times he's still going to have chances. 

with a green QB out there you hand the ball off for buck gains and kick it away, you don't force him to stand there bare-ass to the wind on 3rd and forgetabout it to take a righteous clocking or embarrass himself

Edited by row_33

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The two big things that Allen has going to keep himself out of trouble is his escapability and his gun...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Heitz said:

The two big things that Allen has going to keep himself out of trouble is his escapability and his gun...

In the 6-15 stat line one of those incompletions was a play that 98-100 NFL quarterbacks get sacked on. It was absolutely outrageous that he escaped the sack and threw the ball away for an Incompletion. 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

who did?  send me the tape of that win by the Bills.

i need to see it real bad as a longsuffering fan.

I meant in your response to my point. You said the Bills should have him hand off in that situation so he's doesn't get killed. I said they didn't hand off, they had him throw and he made a fantastic play for the first down. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Allen played with a terrible supporting cast at Wyoming. Maybe losing confidence is the wrong term to use. But it certainly doesn't seem that playing with a bad supporting cast at Wyoming has helped Allen any. Sure he still has confidence. But he hasn't been able to develop properly playing with such a bad cast. I just don't want the same thing to happen now in the the NFL. 

After the roster gutting performed by McDermott and Beane, it will be several years before thesupporting cast is decent. You just can’t sit Allen until 2020. He sinks or swims on his own because the organization went about things in the wrong order ( it should have been hire GM/ GM hires HC/ draft QB) and jettisoned too many offensive players.

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

After the roster gutting performed by McDermott and Beane, it will be several years before thesupporting cast is decent. You just can’t sit Allen until 2020. He sinks or swims on his own because the organization went about things in the wrong order ( it should have been hire GM/ GM hires HC/ draft QB) and jettisoned too many offensive players.

the silver lining is when Brady retires the 4 division teams will all likely be ranked in the bottom 8 of the NFL

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Ahh, how soon we all forget that Cincy game in which Allen was under such heavy pressure he went 6 of 12 for only 34 yards and was sacked 5 times IN THE FIRST HALF! He was sacked for more yards then he threw for...

I hope Allen sits until Pickerman throws his picks and then Allen comes n.

We should be able to run the ball this week, which should take some pressure off of him.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm trying to figure out the obsession with Peterman. 

It's truly mind boggling. 

Pretty easy. He played the best in the preseason, training camp, and practices.

But when the real games start he can't handle the increased speed and defensive scheming.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

We should be able to run the ball this week, which should take some pressure off of him.

First thing I thought of this week.  They can't just flood the zone and jump short passes because Allen likes to throw downfield.

Now playaction should be more effective and the linebackers just can't crash the line to stop the run.  The safety's can't cheat up...they'll have to play back.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

First thing I thought of this week.  They can't just flood the zone and jump short passes because Allen likes to throw downfield.

Now playaction should be more effective and the linebackers just can't crash the line to stop the run.  The safety's can't cheat up...they'll have to play back.

That was glaringly obvious before last week and reason alone to start Allen last week. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not lighting anything up with this OL and we group. I'll be happy if he doesn't get killed like David Carr.

Everybody says this...did you not see him escape a clear sack on Sunday? The dude is Big Ben with movement

• Like (+1) 1

Suicide Watch:  

BullBuchanan

SaviorPeterman

BurpleBull

Prediction:  They will downplay every positive play by Allen, and never shut up about any mistake or incomplete pass and declare him a bust no matter what.  They are invested in Allens failure to both serve their anti Allen Agenda and double down on their pro peterman nonsense so much that the rest of the season is going to be desperation attempts by them to trash Allen.  Allen could make the Pro Bowl this year and they will still say he sucks and we should start Peterman.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

We can only hope for Allen's sake that Daboll removes his cranium from his posterior long enough to stop with the quick strike, pass-first offense and does pound the rock.

The sad fact is we don't know what the Bills coaches are planning. But I can tell you that the entire Charger defense must be drooling at the thought of sending a blitz every play until Allen learns how to beat it. All they gotta do is watch that Cincy/Raven film to see that Groy and Miller are worthless.  

I'll be happy if Allen can start AND complete the game....while looking competent.   I think in every game I've seen him so far, he's been bounced on his head or taken a hard, unnecessary shot.   He needs to protect himself out there.   

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Suicide Watch:  

BullBuchanan

SaviorPeterman

BurpleBull

Prediction:  They will downplay every positive play by Allen, and never shut up about any mistake or incomplete pass.  They are invested in Allens failure to both serve their anti Allen Agenda and double down on their pro peterman nonsense so much that the rest of the season is going to be desperation attempts by them to trash Allen.  Allen could make the Pro Bowl this year and they will still say he sucks and we should start Peterman.

Throw in Allen Will Bust too.  

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Mahomes sat pretty much the entire 2017 season. No reason why we couldn't have done the same with Allen. I understand our 2019 roster won't be on the level of the Chiefs roster this year but it has to be better than it is this year. It can't get any worse. 

Are there any Kyle Orton types out there we can pick up off the street? 

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Mahomes sat pretty much the entire 2017 season. No reason why we couldn't have done the same with Allen. I understand our 2019 roster won't be on the level of the Chiefs roster this year but it has to be better than it is this year. It can't get any worse. 

Are there any Kyle Orton types out there we can pick up off the street? 

The Chiefs had Alex Smith. That decision was an easy one. McDermottt and Beane have boxed themselves in with no credible alternative at QB to turn to. That’s on them. Starting Nathan Peterman in another game would be an embarrassment ; an amateurish move that would finish their careers. Trading McCarron has compounded the situation. There is no chance he would look as incompetetent as Peterman. Sure , a truly seasoned vet should have been brought in but AJM could have held the fort down and gave Allen the redshirt year he probably needs. You are absolutely correct that the blueprint should have been the same as Mahomes, but they half stepped on a placeholder QB. 

Edit: best veteran options out there right now are probably D Anderson, M Moore, smokin J Cutler. They’d take a few weeks to get up to speed. What do you do? Once Allen goes in you can’t take him out except for injury, simple as that. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

22 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That may be so. But I don't think it can really help any to play with such a terrible line. I don't think that it is necessarily a myth that a QB could learn bad habits based on consistently being put in terrible positions. 

It should teach him to get the ball out on time. Sometimes if the oline is too good the QB holds the ball for 3 seconds like Prescott, that is not sustainable. You will have a bad line more often than a good line in the NFL these days.

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty easy. He played the best in the preseason, training camp, and practices.

But when the teal games start he can't handle the increased speed and defensive scheming.

There are tons and to s of guys that play well in preseason, etc and never see the field or even make the team. The coaches have blinders on when it comes to Peterman for some reason. I think its an ego thing. This is telling right here. Very defensive and odd when to answer the question - take it to my grave? Huh.

McDermott said, when asked if he regretted starting Peterman against the Ravens. "I felt like that was the right move and I'll take that to my grave."

They had no choice, which is never a situation you want to be in in the NFL.

It's not a great situation for Allen to be in. The next couple games are going to be brutally tough and if he starts 0-3 as a starter you've got to worry about his confidence going forward. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

There are tons and to s of guys that play well in preseason, etc and never see the field or even make the team. The coaches have blinders on when it comes to Peterman for some reason. I think its an ego thing. This is telling right here. Very defensive and odd when to answer the question - take it to my grave? Huh.

McDermott said, when asked if he regretted starting Peterman against the Ravens. "I felt like that was the right move and I'll take that to my grave."

Wow. McDermott really might be more clueless than I thought. He’s firmly entrenched with Peterman. This is the kind of blunder that could be his downfall in Buffalo. They probably wouldn’t be in this predicament if they had kept AJ McCarron and put Peterrman on the PS. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

This is smart for many reasons. No matter how bad the team is, fans will continue to watch because they want to see Allen develop.

If he plays well? Win. If he struggles? He's a rookie developing.

Just because it's the ONLY reasonable option, does not make it smart. I actually think it's stupid, but it's all we have. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If he loses his confidence, he never had the make up of a great QB in the first place.  This has got to be the biggest myth in professional football today.  Sorry but David Carr wasn't ruined by his line, he just sucked.

I don't think it is a matter of make up.   Like David Carr, we watched it happen to Rob Johnson.  Once a QB starts getting pummeled they begin to watch the pass rush rather than keeping eyes downfield on the receiving options.  That is a human survival instinct that is a product of getting sacked that kicks in not some  predetermined genetic make up.  Agree?    

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, skibum said:

Just because it's the ONLY reasonable option, does not make it smart. I actually think it's stupid, but it's all we have. 

Exactly. Whose fault is it thats your only option. I ate dog poo for dinner because I forgot to go grocery shopping. I went home with a one legged midget with no arms and a beard because there were no other girls at the bar. 

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They had no choice, which is never a situation you want to be in in the NFL.

It's not a great situation for Allen to be in. The next couple games are going to be brutally tough and if he starts 0-3 as a starter you've got to worry about his confidence going forward. 

That’s crap. They are going to be double digit dogs for the next three weeks. Going 0-3 should be expected by everyone outside of OBD. If that breaks his confidence then he didn’t have any in the first place. 

Just now, ngbills said:

Exactly. Whose fault is it thats your only option. I ate dog poo for dinner because I forgot to go grocery shopping. I went home with a one legged midget with no arms and a beard because there were no other girls at the bar. 

Pic?

This was the only choice there was to make. The Bills brass put themselves in this position. If they truly wanted to keep Josh off the field to start the season, they did an absolutely terrible job of that. 

Now I just hope beyond hope that Josh looks ok out there...

I don’t expect him to be great by any means. As long as he doesn’t look like he’s drowning, I will be happy. 

That is my biggest fear - what if Josh looks like he’s drowning out there? Then what? 

This is was the right choice, though. Nate looked like a deer in the headlights every time they showed a close up. He looked wide eyed and almost scared. He looked in way over his head. 

The entire offense got s spark when Allen came in. You could see the change quite clearly. 

These guys better go out there and ball out for Allen on Sunday. Every one of them should be doing everything they can to help their rookie QB (which wasn’t the case for Nate). I want to see 100% effort by everyone in every play. I’d they don’t do everything in their power to help Allen, they deserve to be cut. 

• Like (+1) 1