Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm trying to figure out the obsession with Peterman. 

It's truly mind boggling. 

I don't think he was sold on Peterman; that's why he brought McCarron in. But when Peterman outplayed McC and Josh in preseason, he didn't have much choice but to give Nate the start. It's not like AJ had a proven track record.

13 minutes ago, zevo said:

Not being a homer....but his mental toughness has to be off the charts....I can’t remember such adversity faced by a rookie...everyone telling you you have the talent but you basically suck....telling you you sucked in college and will suck in the nfl....getting old tweets dug up and facing that....he has handled it all very well....I think he has the mental toughness part signed sealed and delivered....i hope he can succeed.

Yeah, I agree. Allen was on that Sports Science show before the draft and he said, and I'm paraphrasing, "After a while it wasn't about proving everyone else wrong, it became about me proving myself right." So, he's not concerned with trying to show his doubters that he has it. He's got a lot of self-confidence and belief that he can cut it in the NFL and that's a solid mindset to have.

The only reason Peterman has struggled is because he's had either Tyrod or Allen staring over his shoulder. What they need to do, for the good of the franchise, is trade Alien for a pick and a #1wr and name Peterman the starting QB for the rest of the season. Fight me.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

C'mon....that's a lame and easy explanation. Of course you can say, "Well, it's Pre-Season".....but if it isn't for evaluating players, then other than a glorified scrimmage, it doesn't mean anything. Pre-Season is in fact a way to evaluate players, it's one of the main reason why it exists. So, evaluating Peterman in the Pre-Season during a live game (no, it's not the same - obviously) showed he was precise - somewhere around 80% completion percentage - getting TDs, NOT throwing INTs (just one that bounced off of Ivory that hit him in the hands and shoulder) and moving the Offense. That, was a masterful use of his skills and the playbook - and to go from that level of competence, to the utter debauchery that was Sunday - is just puzzling. 

I did NOT expect him to excel the way he did in Pre-Season, so I anticipated a drop-off in production and efficiency, but to go from Pre-Season to that excrement pile of garbage is just....stunning. Make all the short-cut explanations as you did, but that does not even come close to adequately answering the question why / how does Peterman demonstrate such a precipitous drop in production & ability from Pre-Season to game day? I don't know....I'm just asking the question and expecting not to get curt answers in response....

I didn't mean it to be curt...sorry you took it that way

Just now, Like A Mofo said:

Daboll will go by the wayside like so many other Bills OC hires: And why? This organization does not know how to draft a QB.

Oh it’s Josh Allen’s fault that Daboll is bad? Sunday’s disaster in Baltimore, 9/11 anniversary, that’s enough doom and gloom for the week. 

Torch that Chargers D! 

43 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I'm not sure I get why McCarron was traded.  He was the veteran to protect the rookie.  You trade him and you are stuck with a rookie and a second year player that had the worst first year of anything in the modern era, what could go wrong?

I couldn't agree with you more. As soon as I got the text that Mccaron was traded I just shook my head and told my brother in law we are in trouble. Mccaron wasn't good in the preseason but offered a backup plan if they truly didn't wan tto start Allen this year

2 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The only reason Peterman has struggled is because he's had either Tyrod or Allen staring over his shoulder. What they need to do, for the good of the franchise, is trade Alien for a pick and a #1wr and name Peterman the starting QB for the rest of the season. Fight me.

:huh: You have got to be kidding. 

BitesizedSlushyAmurminnow-size_restricte

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

HAHA good one!

Just now, ScottLaw said:

From what I recall, Nate looked decent last preseason only to put up the worst QB performance in a half NFL history against the Chargers. 

He looked much better this year.  I read every training camp report from several different writers watching camp.  Peterman was the best by far.  These are the same writers that have been criticized on this board when they were too hard on Tyrod and EJ Manuel.  They aren't afraid to criticize QB play.

I think McDermott was leaning towards Allen starting week 1 which is why he got the game 3 start.  After that game, McDermott wasn't comfortable with starting Allen.  Allen did look a little scared out there IMO.

Just now, Commonsense said:

Oh it’s Josh Allen’s fault that Daboll is bad? Sunday’s disaster in Baltimore, 9/11 anniversary, that’s enough doom and gloom for the week. 

Torch that Chargers D! 

From your keyboard to the football God's ears I hope you are right: I would LOVE to be wrong about Josh Allen believe me

• Like (+1) 1

At least we can start to figure out what we have in Allen. Hopefully, the experience he gets this year makes him a better quarterback for next year. If he is unable to handle the pressure, then he most likely was not meant to be a franchise quarterback. The good ones can carry a team and you generally see that early in their careers. Maybe David Carr just lacked the mental toughness required of a franchise quarterback.

-Peyton Manning played right away and took his lumps and ultimately was a much better quarterback in his second year.

-Andrew Luck stepped in right away to a Colts team that had won 1 game the previous year and made an immediate impact.

-Russell Wilson took over a below average Seattle team and made them a contender.

-RGIII had his best season as a rookie before injuries took their toll.

-On Monday night we saw how Darnold could elevate a Jets team on the road to a victory. Jets look to be decent with him and were thought to be a bottom feeder this year.

There are so many more examples of good quarterbacks coming in right away and not being ruined by the experience. There is no one way a team has to follow, but I prefer to throw them out there and see what they can handle. NFL Quarterback is such a demanding position and those demands never seem to end. Early on a young qb has to adapt to the speed and complexity of the game as well as just being a pro. As a franchise quarterback enters the middle of their careers more and more responsibilities are thrown upon them (usually less weapons on offense and/or defense as their salary eats up more cap, increased media and community obligations as they are face of the franchise). And at the back end of their careers the franchise quarterback has to learn to adapt their play to reduced physical skills and learn to deal with and have rapport with players that may be 10-15 years younger than themselves. The pressure never ends on a franchise quarterback so I think it is good to see how Allen begins to handle pressure. There will be struggles but how he responds to it is what will be most important.

Edited by racketmaster
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, East TX Dan said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/12/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-josh-allen/

Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott is slated to speak to the media at 11:20 a.m. on Wednesday. It’s expected that he’ll announced his starting quarterback for his team’s Week 2 meeting and home opener against the Los Angeles Chargers.

However, there could be leak. According to ESPN’s Chris Mortenson, the Bills will start rookie quarterback Josh Allen.

I knew it! I couldn't report it because I know how this board is about thinking any inside information and Executive leaks from the Bills has to be fake news but holy crap! When I saw Chris Mortensen at Letchworth on Monday afternoon, I knew something was happening. Signed Randolph Rob

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not either, but that's the position the team's personnel choices since FA  and subsequent have placed us in.

It feels like this is happening not because the coaches think it's time but just because they are forced to. I really expected better 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Exactly...none of the Quarterbacks brought to camp were proven NFL starters. Peterman only has slightly more NFL experience than Josh Allen. How is Allen supposed to learn from that? Generally, when a rookie sits, they behind a proven NFL starter. There was no reason not to start Allen if the intent is to win.

Agreed. Also, I misunderstood the post I was responding to and the poster pointed that out for me. 

I do think they should bring in a vet. One, to be a good presence for Allen and two... I dunno if they can go back to Peterman if they had to. Wouldn't be surprised if this is Nate's final season as a Bill.