Throwing out picks

Punting down the line

Well our fathers searched for game tickets until dark

Spent their Sundays at Orchard Park

Met our mothers during a pregame show

Asked them to dance with slow

And we're living here at Allen's town

20 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Fair enough, but then why not keep Allen as a last resort? Why trade McCarron? Allen, is going to get demolished behind this line - I think they had to have known going into this that it was going to end badly for whoever is in at quarterback. You could put Tom Brady out there and he would look bad. 

Enough about the OLine. It’s not nearly as historically awful as people are making it out to be. They faced a great defense on Sunday and often gave the QB’s enough time to throw. And it’s impossible to run block against 9 man fronts.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Fair enough, but then why not keep Allen as a last resort? Why trade McCarron? Allen, is going to get demolished behind this line - I think they had to have known going into this that it was going to end badly for whoever is in at quarterback. You could put Tom Brady out there and he would look bad. 

Tyrod would have been better behind this line too.  Moving him was a mistake as well since they are still paying him in dead cap money

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely not how I wanted Josh Allen's rookie season to go. However, if they are going to fully commit to him playing the entire season regardless how bad it goes then I can live with decision. However, at this point Peterman should never see game action again unless Allen gets hurt.

I wish he'd had more sideline time, but Josh is highly competitive and wants to be the starter.  He's going to go full bore at it critics be dammed.  Apparently his teammates want him to play and will play hard for him.  John Elway struggled in his rookie year as others did until they get their "sea legs".  Josh will have his rough moments, but he'll work through it, just like he did at Wyoming, where he put the team on his back and carried them forward.  Idon't think a lot of Bills fans realize what they have in Josh Allen, but they soon will and they'll be happy for it.  Let the JA era begin!

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, cv05 said:

I'm sorry but that just speaks volumes of poor planning and being completely overwhelmed. 

McDermott and company stumbled into the playoffs last year and I really don't think they'll experience that "success" again.

Yes, that's the picture that has developed here.  It's a question of methodologies and there is no winning position here demonstrating that McBeane are not completely overwhelmed and have planned poorly.  

Some say that Allen's going to be ruined by the lack of offense and protection around him.  Who knows, he may also simply not be as good as billed. We'll see.  Obviously we're all pulling for the kid.  

But either way, they can't put it on "no offense around him" and a "poor OL" because they had a fantastic opportunity to put a very good OL in place with the four picks ranging from mid-1st to first-pick in the 3rd (all day 1/2 picks) and draft a QB (or Rudolph) next year.  They opted not to and decided that a QB on an island was a better and more efficient way to build the team.  I don't get that either.  Any fool knows that teams are built from the lines outward.  The fact that they don't speaks volumes.  

Then on top of it, to be collecting all of these not-quite-starting-material vets in free-agency, to start, well, at some point there's only one conclusion to be drawn, namely what you stated.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Wait until he throws his first INT. Majority of people on this board will be saying "Allen just isn't answer. Get a new QB in 2019". I'm waiting for it

Every mistake Allen makes will be part of his growing process. Every mistake Nate made just led us closer towards Allen playing. I see a big difference.

Of course the Allen naysayers will cling to each mistake in an attempt to validate their own opinions. If you haven’t tuned them out yet, you soon will. 

18 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Nate's got only limited experience in actual games but there is a pattern that's formed which is he underperforms.  He might be great in the coaches room, in practice and in pre-season but that has not translated into game performances.  Seems to me that Nate earned his start last week and also earned his way to the bench.

Allen will be harder for the Chargers to defend.  He's a threat to run, he can and probably will sling it deep and he can extend plays better. 

I think we'll see a whole new Bills team this weekend.  Home crowd, good weather, new QB and a lot of attitude after last week's butt whoopin'. 

And I think the bolded is key - seemed that Nate earned the right to start from his TC and Pre-season performances and I'm sure both the coaches and players saw that.  Cool he started, did not have it, now it's time to make room for Josh...

As for trading AJ, would people really want to see Nate benched, so that we can see a middling performance from AJ for three more games until we eventually got to Allen?  I'm good on that, let's just go full bore Josh!! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Wait until he throws his first INT. Majority of people on this board will be saying "Allen just isn't answer. Get a new QB in 2019". I'm waiting for it

That describes about 95 percent of NFL fans.  The most popular quarterback on most teams is the guy on the bench.

coaches felt that was the best option to win on that given Sunday

just like they did for Rob Johnson over Flutie that given Sunday

i guess if you email or write a letter the coach might give you a more detailed answer, don't wait for it though

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

As for trading AJ, would people really want to see Nate benched, so that we can see a middling performance from AJ for three more games until we eventually got to Allen?  I'm good on that, let's just go full bore Josh!! 

I think we are underestimating how brutal that week 3 game at Minnesota is going to be. Game plan better be run, run, three step drop for that game. Just don't want Allen to lose his confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers
Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think we are underestimating how brutal that week 3 game at Minnesota is going to be. Game plan better be run, run, three step drop for that game. Just don't want Allen to lose his confidence.

If he loses his confidence, he never had the make up of a great QB in the first place.  This has got to be the biggest myth in professional football today.  Sorry but David Carr wasn't ruined by his line, he just sucked.

5 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Ha, my post got killed in the thread merge...

Agree on Minny, can we run a full "3 yards and cloud of dust" O that entire game!?

As for the "loss of confidence" I've heard enough Sirius / NFLN pundits say that if you have a QB that can be "ruined" by a bad game, or even season, then you don't have a QB.  Guess we're going to see how it all plays out!! :D  ?

14 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And I thought I was a cynic!  ?

i dread the thought that i would think i could sit down with an NFL coach to try to tell him i know more

he would draw a second-tier play on a cocktail napkin and i'd be lost instantly

can you imagine how ingrained a man must be to think "eff you" or ignore basically everyone who disagrees with him before he gets a job as a head coach for $$$

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Enough about the OLine. It’s not nearly as historically awful as people are making it out to be. They faced a great defense on Sunday and often gave the QB’s enough time to throw. And it’s impossible to run block against 9 man fronts.

Exactly what I have been saying, put a QB in that's a threat to throw the ball and they will look much better when the defence is lining everyone up at the line and rushing the QB cause they know he cant pass

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If he loses his confidence, he never had the make up of a great QB in the first place.  This has got to be the biggest myth in professional football today.  Sorry but David Carr wasn't ruined by his line, he just sucked.

That may be so. But I don't think it can really help any to play with such a terrible line. I don't think that it is necessarily a myth that a QB could learn bad habits based on consistently being put in terrible positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Heitz said:

As for the "loss of confidence" I've heard enough Sirius / NFLN pundits say that if you have a QB that can be "ruined" by a bad game, or even season, then you don't have a QB.  Guess we're going to see how it all plays out!! :D  ?

Allen played with a terrible supporting cast at Wyoming. Maybe losing confidence is the wrong term to use. But it certainly doesn't seem that playing with a bad supporting cast at Wyoming has helped Allen any. Sure he still has confidence. But he hasn't been able to develop properly playing with such a bad cast. I just don't want the same thing to happen now in the the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

After the Ravens debacle this was the predictable outcome. Nate crapping out again badly might have permanently indicted this admins ability to evaluate QBs. 

Daboll had better have figured something out by Sunday to take the pressure off JA. Chargers weakness has been defending the run so you absolutely want a conservative, run heavy gameplan (and the Bills have the horses). To do that though you probably first need to get them out of the box. So Allen will have to put the ball in the air. Although Allen has the physical ability to challenge every part of the field I think we see a dumbed down O featuring half field reads at best as well as a fair number of quick hitters, in effect single read execution. If they don't ask him to do too much hopefully he will do well enuf to start benefitting from live action experience.

Hoping for the best as always but the team should never have been put in this position to begin with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe the Bills players can watch some tape of the jets game from Monday night.  See how every Jets unit played hard and did everything they could to make sure their rookie QB had a chance to succeed.  How about the Bills D, Special teams and O-line help the kid out with maximum effort and disciplined play?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

True but don't you think the coaching staff should have anticipated that?

I did and I am a just a fan. Peterman looks descent when there is no pressure, no game planning, no blitzing.

Put some heat on the guy and game plan for him and he is a complete joke. He has MASSIVE limitations.

It stuns me that Mcd and Daboll could not recognize that, and picked him to start based on meaningless pre season games

I can agree they probably should have been able to recognize it...but who knows what the heck they are thinking. 

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Maybe the Bills players can watch some tape of the jets game from Monday night.  See how every Jets unit played hard and did everything they could to make sure their rookie QB had a chance to succeed.  How about the Bills D, Special teams and O-line help the kid out with maximum effort and disciplined play?

Jets film is too much puffery, Bills film is too much suck from last week

12 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Pin this!! :D 

Bills rookie Josh Allen named starting QB vs. Chargers

The Josh Allen era in Buffalo will begin in earnest this Sunday.

Bills coach Sean McDermott announced Wednesday that the rookie quarterback will start Buffalo's Week 2 home opener against the Los Angeles Chargers under center.

"It's the right move for our team," McDermott told reporters. The coach would not discuss whether naming Allen the starter was a permanent decision.

Allen, the seventh overall pick, will replace ineffective second-year quarterback Nathan Peterman, who mustered a 0.0 passer rating in Buffalo's 47-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens last week.