Unless They Are 110% Sold on Allen, Bills Should Draft Another QB in 2019

BuffaloRush

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Just give it couple more games.  All the people laughing and making fun of the OP will be crying about the same thing if Allen cant perform. 

Allen will experience ups and downs just as any rookie QB would. The premise is a complete non-starter. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think that the Bills need to play Josh Allen ASAP because we need to see whether he’s the man or not.  

At the end of 2019, the team really need to evaluate him.  Because if he’s not the man, then the Bills should draft another QB - perhaps even at #1.  

Think about it, the QB makes everyone around them better, especially the OL and WR’s.  A good QB can overcome a bad defense by putting points on the boards - especially when they have the ball last.  

Unless the Bills are 110% that Allen is that guy, they should draft another QB.  Each week, the team basically plays the hot hand.  Then if the 2019 QB is the man and if Allen develops, you have two quality starting QB’s on rookie deals and Allen becomes a very valueable trading piece.  

Just stop

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen will experience ups and downs just as any rookie QB would. The premise is a complete non-starter. 

In your opinion does Allen look franchise to you? I definitely lean more twords yes.

I think that the Bills need to play Josh Allen ASAP because we need to see whether he’s the man or not.  

At the end of 2019, the team really need to evaluate him.  Because if he’s not the man, then the Bills should draft another QB - perhaps even at #1.  

Think about it, the QB makes everyone around them better, especially the OL and WR’s.  A good QB can overcome a bad defense by putting points on the boards - especially when they have the ball last.  

Unless the Bills are 110% that Allen is that guy, they should draft another QB.  Each week, the team basically plays the hot hand.  Then if the 2019 QB is the man and if Allen develops, you have two quality starting QB’s on rookie deals and Allen becomes a very valueable trading piece.  

This type of thinking is why the Bills continue to struggle.  Build a foundation around your QB...primarily a great O-line first, a good RB, and stud TE and a true #1 WR.  

Maybe you need to just stick to setting up amusing polls?

I get what you’re saying and I’ll humor you.  

If there were an Andrew Luck type talent and Allen was hit or miss all season, I’d consider it. The position is that important and worst case scenario you get picks in a trade.  

However, any QB’s in next years draft will also be a one year wonder, so I don’t see any “sure thing” guys there.  

It kinda sucks that we could pick top 5 and so far there isn’t a game changing talent.  People keep saying Bosa or Oliver, but I would hate to see us keep spending picks on defense when we have so many holes on offense.  

I hope Allen shows enough to be the guy and there’s a RB or WR that just blows everyone away.  

Ultimately, I’d love to see Allen prove he’s the guy, have there some be enough QB talent that a team trades us a kings ransom to get him and we stockpile picks. Those picks build our line and our FA money fills out the rest 

9 minutes ago, Lfod said:

In your opinion does Allen look franchise to you? I definitely lean more twords yes.

He has the potential to be just that and has developed much faster than I ever thought he would at this stage.  I'm in favor of accelerating his learning curve as much as possible with actual playing time instead of wasting any more meaningful snaps on the abysmal Nathan Peterman who should become a FadingStain. ;)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I get what you’re saying and I’ll humor you.  

If there were an Andrew Luck type talent and Allen was hit or miss all season, I’d consider it. The position is that important and worst case scenario you get picks in a trade.  

However, any QB’s in next years draft will also be a one year wonder, so I don’t see any “sure thing” guys there.  

It kinda sucks that we could pick top 5 and so far there isn’t a game changing talent.  People keep saying Bosa or Oliver, but I would hate to see us keep spending picks on defense when we have so many holes on offense.  

I hope Allen shows enough to be the guy and there’s a RB or WR that just blows everyone away.  

Ultimately, I’d love to see Allen prove he’s the guy, have there some be enough QB talent that a team trades us a kings ransom to get him and we stockpile picks. Those picks build our line and our FA money fills out the rest 

The guy has not even played a full season.  So this thread is f u c  k e n crap 

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

The guy has not even played a full season.  So this thread is f u c  k e n crap 

So, if at the end of the season, he’s thrown more int’s that TD’s, looks lost and is missing reads, and there’s a guy who looks like Luck, you wouldn’t consider it. 

Yes, it’s a dumb question based off what we know right now.  I’m looking at it from the end of the season and Allen bombs. I don’t think that’s the case, but I’ll entertain the hypothetical 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He has the potential to be just that and has developed much faster than I ever thought he would at this stage.  I'm in favor of accelerating his learning curve as much as possible with actual playing time instead of wasting any more meaningful snaps on the abysmal Nathan Peterman who should become a FadingStain. ;)

At least Josh learned to slide and not take a knockout hit unlike my man Peterman did that one time. I also give credit to Josh for actually making plays on his own when nothing was open. Unlike my dude Peterman. I liked his sideline tackle form as well. 

Edited by Lfod

I agree.  Or, because we have a ton of money in FA, go after Bridgewater.  

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not a bad idea IMO. They need a guy behind Allen anyways. I would bet a vet gets added but it could be a stable, mid-round college prospect as well. Maybe something like Ryan Finley with one of their 4ths?

Bridgewater, Allen and Finley anyone? (assuming Allen struggles, which is the OP's premise.  If not, Allen and Finley sound good to me) 

• Like (+1) 1

But if he struggles this year and they have a chance to land the top QB in the draft, I’d say....do it.  2 good young QB’s on any team is a dream.

2 young QBs being protected by 5 bums and throwing to 5 more bums....who are backed up by more and more bums.  If we go qb next year, Bean should be fired on the spot

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

But if he struggles this year and they have a chance to land the top QB in the draft, I’d say....do it.  2 good young QB’s on any team is a dream.

It doesn't work that way! You hammered this to death on gameday.

First experience with football? It's getting tiresome.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I couldn't agree more with the OP, but the Bills are NOT going to draft a QB with a high draft pick again next year.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't. 

Whoever said these were smart guys we're talking about any way?

If/when Allen washes out, so will McBeane...and at that point in time they will wish they had taken another top QB prospect to hedge their bet.

This is definitely not a bad idea. But I think most regimes believe in drafting around your guy with OL or WR toys. The problem is this team has too many holes like an exhibition team. It's going to take 2 more drafts + FA to fill everything. 

42 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This is definitely not a bad idea. But I think most regimes believe in drafting around your guy with OL or WR toys. The problem is this team has too many holes like an exhibition team. It's going to take 2 more drafts + FA to fill everything. 

Which means we can’t afford to draft another QB.  Just because we have too many holes to fill in one draft doesn’t mean we’ll just scrap everything and draft another qb.  It means they’re going to use their many resources to fix the OL,WR and pass rush.  It may take more than one year, but that’s what they’re going to do.  If there’s a qb that everyone sees as a can’t miss, we’d trade down and and acquire more OL, WRs, DLs and CBs

Just now, Laughing Coffin said:

If Allen doesn't end up being good, we'll likely be in striking distance for a QB again a few times during his tenure here.  We need to use every available pick we have to build around Allen, not to prepare for him being no good.  That's absurd

Plus if you build around Allen and he ends up not being the guy the next kid you pick has a nicer place to land.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

If Allen doesn't end up being good, we'll likely be in striking distance for a QB again a few times during his tenure here.  We need to use every available pick we have to build around Allen, not to prepare for him being no good.  That's absurd

It's not about "preparing for him to be no good" it's about finding his replacement after he plays 14 games this year and doesn't have it.

This assumes 2 things: 1) he actually doesn't have it; (maybe he will) and 2) we end up with a top 3 draft pick where we will be in striking distance of the top QB prospects in the draft.

Without a top QB or a guy who is going to become a franchise QB, you have nothing.

No need to pamper Allen and beat around the bush trying to figure out if he can do the job or not.

Find out this year and don't be afraid to draft another QB next year, if Allen looks sub-par and if we actually get a top pick.

That is what I'm arguing for.

I'd also repeat: the Bills will NOT do this.

5 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

such as??

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

By "draft another quarterback" you mean trade to first round picks for wide receiver right?

I don’t understand the negativity towards the OP.  He’s basically stating let the high draft pick play and see if he has it.  If he does, great.  He’s our QB even if we have an average year.  If he’s grossly inconsistent with no hope he will improve to becoming a franchise QB, then we draft again and the analysts are stating there is a QB class coming out.  

Id rather have Allen work out, but we’ll never know with him on the bench.

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t understand the negativity towards the OP.  He’s basically stating let the high draft pick play and see if he has it.  If he does, great.  He’s our QB even if we have an average year.  If he’s grossly inconsistent with no hope he will improve to becoming a franchise QB, then we draft again and the analysts are stating there is a QB class coming out.  

Id rather have Allen work out, but we’ll never know with him on the bench.

To say a guy has no hope one year in is dumb.

The irony of the whole thing is that the first pick is a WAY more valuable asset than another good young QB. In addition, you don’t have to be right about the player. You would have gotten a ton for the pick that netted Jamarcus Russell or RG 3. You would have gotten way less for the player after a little time. The 1st pick in the draft can net you multiple other early round picks as well as other assets. No young QB generates that type of return (at least without a resume). If you want the QB as an “asset” what you are really saying is “trade down to a team that needs a QB.” That’s how it works. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Third roundish maybe, too many other needs first. This team is all in on Allen, and it will either make this regime prosper or be their doom, their is no middle ground.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

2 young QBs being protected by 5 bums and throwing to 5 more bums....who are backed up by more and more bums.  If we go qb next year, Bean should be fired on the spot

Couldn’t have said it better! 

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I mean, unless Allen has a career ending injury, which is possible given our oline situation ??

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

The reality is no matter who QB’s we are rebuilding and going to suck.  You can’t fix everything that went wrong with this team and will take a couple of years to improve.  Too bad as it was fun last year finally making the playoffs, even if we did back into the tournament.

People forget we had some opportunistic turnovers last year, paving the way to a more favorable record. The Bills really didn’t do anything special. Our record could have easily been 5-11 but we managed 9-7 and a playoff berth- which felt amazing for us all. That being said, the team has had major issues, especially in the trenches- couple that with a lack of play makers on the offensive side (minus Shady), no number 1 QB, salary cap jail and it spells doom. We will be lucky to win 2 games this year however the future is bright! Lets roll into the 2019 draft with the number 1 pick overall, ten picks total, and loads of cap space next year! We are going to be ok long term.