Unless They Are 110% Sold on Allen, Bills Should Draft Another QB in 2019

BuffaloRush

They absolutely should. But they won't. The irony of possibly drafting first overall and passing on a QB because you sold the farm to take the third one off the board the year before..

Having said that, Allen could pan out and be better than any qb in 2019. Then again, it's the Bills. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a terrible idea which is why no one ever does it. Allen is here through at least the next 31 games as the QB. If they determine at that point that they need someone else they will take their shot in 2020. You aren’t going to invest this much in a QB, give him the worst OL and WR group in the league and then pull the plug. The entire thought that this is possible is ridiculous. It happened once, 30 years ago. 

Here’s the thing with QB’s, the good ones are good right from the start.  Happened with Brett Favre, Russell Wilson etc.  I think at the end of 15 games you should know what you have.  What’s the difference going QB in 2019 vs 2020?

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

Here’s the thing with QB’s, the good ones are good right from the start.  Happened with Brett Favre, Russell Wilson etc.  I think at the end of 15 games you should know what you have.  What’s the difference going QB in 2019 vs 2020?

What?

I guess we're just going to ignore all those other Qbs that had rough starts.

Edited by Warcodered

4 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

This is a ridiculous, so very very ridiculous.  

Right.  Because we already have our franchise QB.

His name is EJ Manuel!  I was assured of this right here, by people like you, right after the Carolina comeback game.

That was September 15, 2013.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Goff

Aikman

Manning

Brees 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

His time is very valueable.  He spends about 20 hours a day checking hisTwitter feed and then scooping the crew over at TSA

Dude. What 26 does is a service to us all. You cannot say anything about the amount of quality content he supplies here. Regardless of his fake mustache.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

16 games? Was Peyton Manning good at the start? Jarred Goff? Carson Wentz? Pat Mahomes? Jimmy G? Cousins? Alex Smith? Just stop, quit while you are behind.

It is an atrocious idea to trade Glenn, a 1st and 2 seconds for a guy that you aren’t going to evaluate. If the Bills need a QB in 2019 it won’t be Beane and McDermott here to make that choice.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a terrible idea which is why no one ever does it. Allen is here through at least the next 31 games as the QB. If they determine at that point that they need someone else they will take their shot in 2020. You aren’t going to invest this much in a QB, give him the worst OL and WR group in the league and then pull the plug. The entire thought that this is possible is ridiculous. It happened once, 30 years ago. 

You mean that happened to David Carr?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

So many inaccuracies, makes my brain hurt. Favre barely got on the field his first year, when he dit throw the ball it was to the other team. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

No not too long....just until about May 2022

I'm not sure how you, or anyone really, can predict this.  Way too many things in the air to predict the Beane/McD tenure duration.

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

You know you don't have to participate in the conversation if you think it's ridiculous and already have all the answers.

I can see your free time is very valuable.

Loser....

:lol:

BTW, how's that Peterman reminds you of Brady thing working out? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

AMEN! It’s not that I want to see Peterman, I just don’t want to wreck Allen. Some will say give him the reps, I say go a few more games taking losses, and getting his beak wet. Next year could/should look very different. Have a plan, and stick to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I suppose it's not completely out of the question but Allen would have to be Petermanesque consistently and I just don't see that happening.

Plus to take a QB that high next year would be to ignore all the many areas this team needs help in. 

Edited by Warcodered

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

16 games? Was Peyton Manning good at the start? Jarred Goff? Carson Wentz? Pat Mahomes? Jimmy G? Cousins? Alex Smith? Just stop, quit while you are behind.

It is an atrocious idea to trade Glenn, a 1st and 2 seconds for a guy that you are going to evaluate. If the Bills need a QB in 2019 it won’t be Beane and McDermott here to make that choice.

Kirby we both know that the Pegulas love both Beane and McDermott.  They are going no where - even it means drafting a QB in 2019.  

Also outside of Goff and maybe Smith, all of the QB’s on your list showed tremendous flashes their rookie year despite some initial struggles.  I’m just saying, if we don’t see these flashes from Allen during the regular season, if the Bills have a very high draft pick, and if a highly-rated, promising QB is in the board then it should be considered.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

AMEN! It’s not that I want to see Peterman, I just don’t want to wreck Allen. Some will say give him the reps, I say go a few more games taking losses, and getting his beak wet. Next year could/should look very different. Have a plan, and stick to it. 

Thats a fallacy.... you really can’t “wreck” a QB.  They either have it or they don’t.  Some people get the Bills “wrecked” EJ.  I have a feeling he could have sat for 4 years and still have been the same QB he was.  Good ones are great from the start 

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Right.  Because we already have our franchise QB.

His name is EJ Manuel!  I was assured of this right here, by people like you, right after the Carolina comeback game.

That was September 15, 2013.

giphy.gif

So we would have been in better shape if we got another QB in 2014? Which one Bortles or Johnny football?  One year is not enough evaluation time. Drafting another QB wastes draft resources, reduces the time both QBs get 1st team reps, and creates a situation that is not productive for development. It’s not a secret plan that no NFL GM has been smart enough to think of, its an awful idea that has never been done for a reason. 

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Thats a fallacy.... you really can’t “wreck” a QB.  They either have it or they don’t.  Some people get the Bills “wrecked” EJ.  I have a feeling he could have sat for 4 years and still have been the same QB he was.  Good ones are great from the start 

Saw him in preseason, he is definitely the same QB he was, 4 years 0 change. 

Just now, Batman1876 said:

So we would have been in better shape if we got another QB in 2014? Which one Bortles or Johnny football?  One year is not enough evaluation time. Drafting another QB wastes draft resources, reduces the time both QBs get 1st team reps, and creates a situation that is not productive for development. It’s not a secret plan that no NFL GM has been smart enough to think of, its an awful idea that has never been done for a reason. 

O

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

Wait you thought EJ was the franchise QB!?!?!  LOL

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was thrown to the wolves but was given more of a chance. The Cowboys took Walsh (supplemental) and Aikman in the 1st in back-to-back years. I don’t think that any other team in the modern era has done that.

Yeah I meant the thrown to the wolves part with Carr.

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Kirby we both know that the Pegulas love both Beane and McDermott.  They are going no where - even it means drafting a QB in 2019.  

Also outside of Goff and maybe Smith, all of the QB’s on your list showed tremendous flashes their rookie year despite some initial struggles.  I’m just saying, if we don’t see these flashes from Allen during the regular season, if the Bills have a very high draft pick, and if a highly-rated, promising QB is in the board then it should be considered.

No, they won’t be. If their hand-picked QB that cost Glenn, a 1st and 2 seconds can’t make it to year 2 they aren’t making it to year 3. That would be the biggest QB draft failure ever. That’s not hyperbole. They’d be the first team to ever draft a QB in the regular draft, in the 1st round, in consecutive years. That isn’t happening (nor should it). It’s a preposterous suggestion.

Peyton Manning was 3-13, with a 56.7% completion percentage and 28 INTs. I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t have wanted another QB the next year?  If you say otherwise, that’s based completely in hindsight. Another QB isn’t something that is being considered and it shouldn’t be. Get used to Allen for at least the next 18 months.

Honestly, every time this terrible idea gets thrown out I am shocked at how many people think it’s reasonable. Fortunately, no football people EVER have thought that it was reasonable. You evaluate the guys, target yours, give him a chance to be evaluated. If he can’t cut it you move on. You aren’t evaluating any QB playing behind Vlad and throwing to Zay. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Please provide a footnote proving your position, because it just sounds like just your opinion. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, they won’t be. If their hand-picked QB that cost Glenn, a 1st and 2 seconds can’t make it to year 2 they aren’t making it to year 3. That would be the biggest QB draft failure ever. That’s not hyperbole. They’d be the first team to ever draft a QB in the regular draft, in the 1st round, in consecutive years. That isn’t happening (nor should it). It’s a preposterous suggestion.

Peyton Manning was 3-13, with a 56.7% completion percentage and 28 INTs. I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t have wanted another QB the next year?  If you say otherwise, that’s based completely in hindsight. Another QB isn’t something that is being considered and it shouldn’t be. Get used to Allen for at least the next 18 months.

Honestly, every time this terrible idea gets thrown out I am shocked at how many people think it’s reasonable. Fortunately, no football people EVER have thought that it was reasonable. You evaluate the guys, target yours, give him a chance to be evaluated. If he can’t cut it you move on. You aren’t evaluating any QB playing behind Vlad and throwing to Zay. 

:teach2:  

Just now, Lfod said:

I don't need to read the OP to agree. Allen has true grit and I believe in him. 

It I am a GM and I know it's a QB starved league having an good QBs makes me King. 

So does having a top pick to ransom off to QB needy teams. That’s the same thing without having to be right about a QB twice!! I’d rather have the 1st pick and let someone come up for their QB than draft another QB, hope that BOTH of mine are good and then turn around and trade one for less than I would have gotten for pick 1. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lfod said:

I don't need to read the OP to agree. Allen has true grit and I believe in him. 

If I am a GM and I know it's a QB starved league having an good QBs makes me King. If I hit twice I can sell one. 

That's not how you build a team in the salary cap era with limited reps in OTAs, Minicamps, Training Camps, and regular season practices with class room sessions also restricted in the offseason.   Won't happen as it's a complete non-starter given what's already invested in Allen with many other needs to address.  It's not at all plausible under the current regime of Beane and McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think that the Bills need to play Josh Allen ASAP because we need to see whether he’s the man or not.  

At the end of 2019, the team really need to evaluate him.  Because if he’s not the man, then the Bills should draft another QB - perhaps even at #1.  

Think about it, the QB makes everyone around them better, especially the OL and WR’s.  A good QB can overcome a bad defense by putting points on the boards - especially when they have the ball last.  

Unless the Bills are 110% that Allen is that guy, they should draft another QB.  Each week, the team basically plays the hot hand.  Then if the 2019 QB is the man and if Allen develops, you have two quality starting QB’s on rookie deals and Allen becomes a very valueable trading piece.  

How about a 3rd round prospect?  Someone who would not have the pressure on them to start.....a Cousins type?

3 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't need to read the OP to agree.

If I am a GM and I know it's a QB starved league having a good QBs makes me King. If I hit twice I can sell one. 

But if you trade it to one of those QB hungry teams you could get a O-linemen or recievers or picks to get those things that the team needs. I don't see the advantage to taking an extra step.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

How about a 3rd round prospect?  Someone who would not have the pressure on them to start.....a Cousins type?

I was just about to say that. I wasn't real clear what round everyone is talking. The first pick is definitely risky. 

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you talking about taking a later round QB to see if they work out or be a back up because that's not out there, even if we hit on Allen there really isn't a back up.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Allen needs to be paired with a viable veteran QB who can mentor him similarly to what the NYJ have in Josh McCown.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s not a bad idea IMO. They need a guy behind Allen anyways. I would bet a vet gets added but it could be a stable, mid-round college prospect as well. Maybe something like Ryan Finley with one of their 4ths?

• Like (+1) 1