OKTC recaps the 2013 preseason hype of EJ Manuel

Haven't read the piece, but I'm sure the typical fan reaction at this forum is identical to the early days with EJ, or Tyrod for that matter.

Remember the "comeback" against Carolina?  A poster here declared we were witnessing the birth of a great new legend QB in Buffalo: EJ Manuel.

Yeah, not so much.

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Haven't read the piece, but I'm sure the typical fan reaction at this forum is identical to the early days with EJ, or Tyrod for that matter.

Remember the "comeback" against Carolina?  A poster here declared we were witnessing the birth of a great new legend QB in Buffalo: EJ Manuel.

Yeah, not so much.

The Carolina comeback and the previous week against the Patriots were Manuel's best games as a bill ever. Huge drop off after 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"Warren Sapp on NFL Network: EJ Manuel has command and control of this offense like no rookie I've seen"

LOL

Yes it is a very scary read since i was so impressed with Allen.

He had all the intangibles but would have terrible practices.  If Allen was throwing the ball that poorly the media would have a feild day.  

Meh.  We're fans, we're supposed to be optimistic.  If I had a nickel for every Buffalo Bill I thought would be good -- and wasn't -- I'd be able to buy myself a cold beer at a local watering hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Meh. I was never aboard the EJ hype train. 

Im not fully on board the Allen hype train yet either. But I do know that I see more potential in him already than I ever seen in EJ. To be clear, I’m not down on him or anything like that. I just need to see more of him before I form a real opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He had all the intangibles but would have terrible practices.  If Allen was throwing the ball that poorly the media would have a feild day.  

Oh yeah, there are a lot in the media that are just praying for Allen to fail to prove how correct they were about his accuracy issues.

4 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The Carolina comeback and the previous week against the Patriots were Manuel's best games as a bill ever. Huge drop off after 

Yep he really did.  Strange how that works. JP Losman had some great games, Vince Young was Rookie of the year, even Trent Edwards had some good games.

The article was going along well until the writer said EJ beat out Kolb.  Kolb got a career ending concussion in preseason & was on IR before September.   That's not getting beat out by EJ, that's getting beat up & out of the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The lesson: none of us knows anything until Allen plays some games in the regular season.

At least some games...we have had a habit, as do most every NFL fan/Americans, with patience. Players take time to develop, and in some cases a new situation/team to play for. Our playoff drought only fed that instant gratification monster

EJ Manuel was shaky at FSU with NFL talent all around him

When he graduates, the VERY next season FSU dominates the college football world with a RS Freshman QB (Winston) and wins the Championship.

I KNEW Manuel sucked all along, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, while other posters on BBMB were a 1000% correct when said he was trash from the start.

Allen didn't even have college level talent around him at Wyoming, never mind NFL talent. Allen was the definition of a one man gang at Wyoming, and still had a winning record.

There is literally no comparison between Manuel and Allen. That's the point.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, njbuff said:

EJ Manuel was shaky at FSU with NFL talent all around him

When he graduates, the VERY next season FSU dominates the college football world with a RS Freshman QB (Winston) and wins the Championship.

I KNEW Manuel sucked all along, but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, while other posters on BBMB were a 1000% correct when said he was trash from the start.

Allen didn't even have college level talent around him at Wyoming, never mind NFL talent. Allen was the definition of a one man gang at Wyoming, and still had a winning record.

There is literally no comparison between Manuel and Allen. That's the point.

Your first two paragraph I never thought about it but it is true.

Third agreed.

Fourth paragraph i cant buy into that.  Maybe he didn't have talent around him but he wasn't facing SEC defenses with physical lightning speed LBs and DBs.  It is all a wash.

Fifth, I mostly agree.  Allen has a set of nuts and quick release that EJ will never have.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Same thing's going to happen to Josh Allen: flashes of competence, if not future greatness.  Then a bad game or two.  Then benched.  Then given up on.

It's the Buffalo Way.

Possible, it could happen but after the Carolina game i have changed my mind materially.  EJ's "flashes of greatness" were pretty darn limited.  

I liked EJ in his rookie year.....than came that Cleveland game....afterwards the progression went south pretty damn fast......future....never take a 3rd at best 4th round QB prospect @ # 1(well taking Geno would of been alot worse IMO).....hopefully they learned the lesson.....but the guy can hit the hospitality tent like no one!

Edited by JPP
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Look at that collection of tweets!  Such praise! 

The lesson: none of us knows anything until Allen plays some games in the regular season.

So true.  My recollection is that I never got excited about Manuel; hopeful, yes, but he always did enough ugly things to leave me concerned.  

Allen hasn't been ugly, not yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Look at that collection of tweets!  Such praise! 

Actually, even if a QB looks good in"some games in the regular season", it might not mean much.  Both Trent Edwards and Mark Sanchez looked pretty good as rookie QB starters.  They even started out their sophomore seasons very well.  Unfortunately, neither one progressed as QBs beyond where they were early in their sophomomore seasons.  Most QBs who become starters early on and then fail frequently follow this pattern of looking good up to a certain point, and never getting any better.

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

"Warren Sapp on NFL Network: EJ Manuel has command and control of this offense like no rookie I've seen"

LOL

If EJ had command and control of a fighter jet it would wind up in a mountain.

3 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

What I remember most about EJ is how odd his throwing was...the front point of the football always seemed to be the lowest part of the ball as he released it. So weird.

It's like he's throwing a dart instead of a football.  He still has it from the footage I've seen of him in Oakland's camp.

I can't remember a single wow play that EJ Manuel had here. Not in a single game, preseason or regular season. If Josh Allen is a bust and off the team in 3 years I'll still remember that TD to McCloud. I'll still remember the back foot throw to Khari Lee. Manuel never looked that great. There were times where he looked competent but he never made a play where you thought "wow this guy could be special." Allen had at least two of those plays in his first preseason game. That's the difference.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't remember a single wow play that EJ Manuel had here. Not in a single game, preseason or regular season. If Josh Allen is a bust and off the team in 3 years I'll still remember that TD to McCloud. I'll still remember the back foot throw to Khari Lee. Manuel never looked that great. There were times where he looked competent but he never made a play where you thought "wow this guy could be special." Allen had at least two of those plays in his first preseason game. That's the difference.

This is right.   You could watch him and say "wow, he has a strong arm," or "wow, he's a big guy and tough to bring down."   There were things about him that looked good.   But he never made plays that were great plays.   Allen was doing it regularly the other night.  

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

LOL

Uhhh, let's not poke too much fun at Warren Sapp. 

After all, Manuel led successful drives with near perfection percentage-wise.

Focus here should be drawn on this guy:

Finally, the Bills have their QB in @EJManuel3.

— Adam Schein (@AdamSchein) August 12, 2013

That's the guy declaring Josh Allen the "next Carson Wentz".

Edited by BurpleBull

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is right.   You could watch him and say "wow, he has a strong arm," or "wow, he's a big guy and tough to bring down."   There were things about him that looked good.   But he never made plays that were great plays.   Allen was doing it regularly the other night.  

He allegedly had a strong arm and it made sense for how well he was built (I don't want to look at the Whaley "hand size" quotes or I'd vomit), but not once did I recall him actually rifling a pass into tight coverage or it looking good deep: I recall several hospital balls - Goodwin almost got killed versus the Chargers, Robert Woods was wide open on this one play vs Atlanta and a horrid throw caused him to take a 15 yard penalty hit, the TJ Graham TD versus the Jets was "caught like a punt" as said by Ian Eagle.

We also never saw him make throws with anticipation before the WR would break open on his route. Not to mention that 'pat' he gave before his long-winded release that annoyed the crap out of me. It'd be one thing if he were accurate and decisive before he did that, but nope.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

5 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

What I remember most about EJ is how odd his throwing was...the front point of the football always seemed to be the lowest part of the ball as he released it. So weird.

I remember the crazy amount of effort it seemed like he’d have to put into completing basic short passes. Sometimes you’d see him reset his feet 2-3 times before he would throw the ball to a receiver 10yds away. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was never a believer in EJ it baffles me to this day how a former professional scout turned gm could think he was good . Even his " YouTube highlights " were not impressive . He had such an unnatural release at FSU and Hackett and Marrone tried to " fix " it and it made it even worse. For a guy with a big arm his passes lacked velocity ..Ill never forgot the game I believe vs jets where Marrone nearly lost his mind cus ej kept throwing vertical and corner routes way outta bounds .

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Allen hasn't been ugly, not yet. 

I dunno..... the throwing the ball up while falling backwards was preeeeettttyyyy ugly. He did a lot of encouraging stuff too. But there was ugly there. 

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

His best wow plays were the TD to Stevie on his debut vs the Patriots and the TD to Easley in the Jags game. I was right on the line of that pass. It was an absolute beauty. They are the only two I can remember. 

The good thing about Allen is his development won’t be worse than EJ’s. Argue about his talent but it was a joke the way the Bills developed him.

And EJ was the king of the preseason.  I think he had a near perfect rating in the 2015 one.  I’m not a huge fan of the Allen pick but I do think he has more of a gunslinger approach that I always wanted EJ to have.  EJ played like he was afraid to make a mistake.