Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

9 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

Yes and I don't care if I get embarrassed.

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

The Bills dislike it soooo much....

that they invited the WWE to the Ralph and smashed A WWE superstar through a table at the field house 

i think they low key enjoy it 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been to 6 or 7 Packers games. The fans are much better behaved there. I always sat in a luxury box, but I never saw any holliganism entering the stadium. It’s a beautiful facility. If you ever go to Lambeau you will be sorely disappointed by Buffalo’s stadium.

22 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I’ve been to 6 or 7 Packers games. The fans are much better behaved there. I always sat in a luxury box, but I never saw any holliganism entering the stadium. It’s a beautiful facility. If you ever go to Lambeau you will be sorely disappointed by Buffalo’s stadium.

How dare you sir!

12 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Personally, I’m a big fan of riff raff. Helps make the world go ‘round..

Saying this, yes, it is a tad embarrassing. But in context, the rare air of a 1st year coach winning & leading the Bills to the Playoffs means all civility bets are off. Ask yourself, did you absolutely EXPLODE when Dalton threw the TD pass on 4th & 12?

This year, a calmness has fallen on the teams’ fandom. Many believe they won’t win as much, but see a team being built for a long haul of success and are quietly excited. I’d be surprised if #theMafia picks up where it left off in Jacksonville. As for groping/fornication, etc., I think it likely this can be found in every park across the nation, if you’re looking for that sort of thing... jmo

The riff raff can be amusing, and it certainly helps me feel better about my lot in life.  ?

It could also be embarrassing to many, and I get that. The new stadium idea that is often opposed by riff raff and non-riff raff alike would help eliminate this behavior and I’m sure that’s a well recognized fact by those with a vote. 

We went to a Daniel Tosh show a few years ago for something to do. My favorite part was when, after offending everyone present, he apologized for the ticket prices. He said “Hey! It wouldn’t be safe at all to say this %$#&  in front of people who could only afford to pay $12 to be here!” 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Buffalo came in at number 13th worst, but best parking lot.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-b/worst-stadiums-in-the-nfl/p-1

"Maybe it's saying something that one of the best things about the field in Buffalo is the parking lot. The tailgating at Bills games is the best in the league, no matter if it's a warm preseason game or a chilly Sunday in December.

The 45-year-old stadium itself lacks many modern amenities that you would find at newer fields. Still, New Era offers cheap beer and great sightlines.

"For a stadium that's been here quite a while, it looks really good," says one fan on Yelp, where New Era Field has four stars. "The seats are in good shape and it was clean.""

With social media and you tube....you can find some type of embarrassment anywhere. The table stuff is isolated not the norm. People are glued to their phones looking for the funniest meme....weirdest video....most outrageous whatever. Close the door we're not air-conditioning the outside!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The items that have gone viral are embarrassing to me but I know that is the minority but I do not identify as Bills Mafia I am simply a huge Bills fan.

I don't know who came up with the "Mafia" thing but I hate that.

That term as applied to Bills fans feels like it was coined by someone outside of WNY who is not a Bills fan, which makes using the term that much more egregious to me.

21 hours ago, Needle said:

Of course it's embarrassing. I don't personally feel a responsibility but I'm sure the team and NFL have discussed fan behavior across the country. It's not a Buffalo problem exclusively.

On a side note, I find the whole Bills Mafia thing to be as lame as you can get. 

Personally I like having a different identity than the other 31 cities in the NFL, whose fan bases are known as (insert name of team) nation.

Edited by Steve O

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't know who came up with the "Mafia" thing but I hate that.

That term as applied to Bills fans feels like it was coined by someone outside of WNY who is not a Bills fan, which makes using the term that much more egregious to me.

100% the opposite

It came from a die hard Bills fan from Tonawanda. My brother and I grew up with Del 3 houses away. It all came from twitter hashtags bouncing on the Adam Schefter after the infamous Stevie drop.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-mafia-became-thing-223221447.html

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

How many times do you hear of people getting drunk at events like football games, only to then hurt someone, intentionally or otherwise?

These tailgaters are out, supporting their team, having their own kind of fun, and not hurting anybody (except maybe themselves and a few folding tables). I find it entertaining and, as long as they aren't messing with anybody else's good time, who cares? There are much worse things they could be doing.

I'm from CA and have lived in the suburbs of Boston for a decade. Bills fans aren't being made into a laughingstock over this stuff. All of the other fans I talk to everyday think it's awesome to have that level of "passion" at a football game, and never stop going on about how they HAVE to get out to Buffalo for a game someday just to experience the atmosphere in the stadium and the parking lots.

Let the kids have their fun. They aren't doing anything to you and aren't causing problems for anyone else.

What's the O/U on seeing smashed tables on Hard Knocks when the Bills play @ Cleveland on the 17th? ?

I feel like we'll see Baker jump off his RV roof onto a table and sustain some sort of injury...

I hate the mafia reference. It probably came from some dumb 20 something kid who wanted to sound tough and has no idea what real organized crime is about. No one should be glorifying the mafia and associating all Bills fans with that. If they called themselves something else I would have less problem with it. I also hope Josh Allen stops mentioning them. Just call us Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 3

Not that embarrassing but it sure af is immature. Buffalo can’t hold its liquor and treats it like it’s a badge of honor. I’d love to think I’m 19 forever like a lot of people in Buffalo do

I believe on average there are 150 tables broke at NEF lots per game. Based on what I have heard and seen the day after a game. I don't think there is any signs outlawing table slamming in NEF lots. If you have to do it, do it at a family function (make mom proud) or somewhere else but NOT on my property. It's all fun and games till some one gets hurt. I've been in a paralyze ward in a hospital. It ain't a very uplifting place seeing a loved one or others in a helpless state. So think before you slam. Your cool today, but how many of your friends will be coming over to wipe you azz tomorrow!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Andy1 said:

I hate the mafia reference. It probably came from some dumb 20 something kid who wanted to sound tough and has no idea what real organized crime is about. No one should be glorifying the mafia and associating all Bills fans with that. If they called themselves something else I would have less problem with it. I also hope Josh Allen stops mentioning them. Just call us Bills fans. 

Yet it has caught on from the top down. The players buy into it and the fanbase at large has bought into it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/7/2018 at 8:31 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

Will likely end soon when someone breaks their neck and sues the Bills.

Honestly can't believe we haven't had a MAJOR injury reported yet (broken back, head, neck, paralysis, etc).

Anyone know of a serious injury yet?

This usually happens in the private lots, so the Bills can't be held responsible.

3 hours ago, Andy1 said:

It comes from the concept of messing with one, messing with all of us. I think it's kinda cheesy, but they don't harm anybody but themselves.

3 hours ago, Andy1 said:

Murderers' Row https://g.co/kgs/3Khz13

Y'all need to lighten up. The only embarrassing thing about this is all the hand wringing going on.

It's just fun, guys. I personally wouldn't do it because I'm more risk averse than that, but if someone else wants to do it I'll definitely watch it. Fans of other teams make it a point to see it when they attend games in Buffalo too, so it's pointless arguing that other fans somehow look down on Buffalo because of it. I can't even tell you how many people have gotten a good laugh out of it after showing them videos of it. 

I'm just surprised the Bills haven't come down hard on it from a liability standpoint. That would be perfectly understandable. But until they do, rage on I say. 

Video documentary mentioned in the article OP posted:

On 8/7/2018 at 7:22 AM, GaryPinC said:

I'm not embarrassed, it's all drunk idiots and credit them for being creative.  I think nationally most people view it as this.  Drinking alcohol trickling down a chick's ass?  Brady's dildo? 

I got in trouble at the Buffalo Bills message board back in the day for posting a pic of the dildo.

4 hours ago, Gigs said:

Not that embarrassing but it sure af is immature. Buffalo can’t hold its liquor and treats it like it’s a badge of honor. I’d love to think I’m 19 forever like a lot of people in Buffalo do

actually, I’d sa Buffalonians hold their liquor pretty well!!