Interesting Astro Tweet re: Beane

we would be diligent and properly frugal to develop the Offense.

Mack might be a D coordinators pipe dream.
But for me, its going to be too much scratch to bring home this bacon called Mack. not smart. fun ? hell yes !

what happens he blows a knee this year in Buffalo ? torn patellar.
could happen and we are screwed. not the way to build a team.

imho....

Just now, Bangarang said:

I think I saw Khalil Mack just go through a Mighty Taco drive thru.

Was he wearing anything Bills related?  Was he on his phone saying, "I'm your man, Coach McD."  Was the radio playing the shout song?  Was he with Kim Pegula?  Were, well you know..there any other clues?  Hopefully, he wasn't with Antonio Callaway....

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Was he wearing anything Bills related?  Was he on his phone saying, "I'm your man, Coach McD."  Was the radio playing the shout song?  Was he with Kim Pegula?  Were, well you know..there any other clues?  Hopefully, he wasn't with Antonio Callaway....

His next stop was a convenience store for some Zantac and Tums, so he’s a high IQ kind of guy. A man with a plan! 

25 minutes ago, McBean said:

If ANY of this is true and we do indeed land Mack, we have a chance to have a great team for a decade IF Josh Allen is the real deal.

BTW, I don’t believe anything is going to happen.

Something will happen, sometime. I seriously doubt THAT happens. 

But I’m not a Gruden fan, so maybe he comes in with a BANG! 

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Something will happen, sometime. I seriously doubt THAT happens. 

But I’m not a Gruden fan, so maybe he comes in with a BANG! 

So you're saying there's a chance?!?!?!

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

So you're saying there's a chance?!?!?!

Always! 

Until, of course...there is not. 

And thank you for passing on the opportunity to show me his face. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

we would be diligent and properly frugal to develop the Offense.

Mack might be a D coordinators pipe dream.
But for me, its going to be too much scratch to bring home this bacon called Mack. not smart. fun ? hell yes !

what happens he blows a knee this year in Buffalo ? torn patellar.
could happen and we are screwed. not the way to build a team.

imho....

You can't play the "what if" game.  ANY player on our roster could go down at any time, so you can't make a decision to get a player or not to get a player based on "what if he gets hurts" - it just goes with the territory.  It's rare a player like Mack would become available at this stage in his career.  Defense wins championships.  This defense would be absolutely suffocating to opponents.  The offense will develop just fine - they work hand-in-hand with a great defense setting up the offense in better field position.  You have a chance at a guy like Mack, you take it.

I'll go on record and say I would trade a 1st, a conditional 4th, and Shaq for Kahlil Mack in a heart beat! Not even Nick Bosa is as sure of a thing as Mack is. I can't imagine how elite our defense would be with an elite pass rusher added to what we already have.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills don’t have the cap space this year. Even if they do there is still the risk that they again pay huge money to one player and the performance drops. 

Cap space is easily manipulated

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Brad Johnson had a really good year that year. Really good. 8th in TDs while sporting an insane 22:6 TD/INT ratio. 10th in YPG. 4th in passer rating. 8th in completion percentage among guys with 200+ attempts. They didn't win in spite of Johnson.

Johnson was no journeyman. He was a guy who could be really good but only managed it inconsistently.

Did the Steelers win that Super Bowl Ben's rookie year? Or did they lose it the same way they did a couple of years earlier with O'Donnell at QB. Only after Roethlisberger got authentically good did they win a title.

I have to give you Dilfer, a game manager and not a great one but Flacco had a good year and a terrific playoffs. He's been pretty bad since but he was a major reason they won that SB.

It's true that great defenses with a mediocre QB win a SB occasionally. (McMahon, Doug Williams, Dilfer, Flacco if you want to count him and maybe a few others, but not Rypien who was probably top two in the league that year before he took what at the time seemed an unexplainable nosedive before we heard about his concussion problems , not Foles who isn't in the SB without Wentz, and not Hostetler who also isn't in that game without Simms playing most of the year.)  But it tends to happen around 10% of the time. That's not the route you want to model. You want to model the method that wins 90%.

Johnson played for the Vikings twice, the London Monarchs, the Redskins, the Buccaneers and the Dallas Cowboys. He is the definition of Journey man. He also played for two different colleges. If you read my original comment it says Ben got the Steelers “close” in his rookie year.

7 hours ago, DieHardBillsFan said:

We would have to trade something of high value and then pay Mario Williams money to keep him. Honestly this money would be going to the wrong side of the ball. The story/player is really great, but the defense is already solid as is. The Offensive line and the WR need the investments right now or save it for the future. If Hughes was dropped then that money would make it somewhat bearable, but then we have dead weight on next years cap. Love Mack though. If we got him, I'd have his jersey by game day.

This is how I feel.

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Beane is just probably going to announce that it is ladies night at the Monday night game. 

... and Shady’s in charge of the invites ...with a special guest appearance by Russ Brandon. 

Edited by transient

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

This is how I feel.

If you can get a guy who in four years has made 3 pro bowls and was named 1st team all-pro twice (once at 2 positions), you do just about anything to get your hands on him.  He’s likely the best defensive player in the NFL, pound for pound.

It would sting if Beane gave up a king’s ransom for him, but he is a game changer and I would find a way to cope ?

That said, I still can’t accept that Mack to Buffalo is even possibility.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

There’s no way it can be something big without anyone in the media catching wind of it. 

Especially if it’s taking this long to develop 

I don't recall any whispers about Sammy and Darby getting shipped on the same day.  Beane is a serious dude.  If he told folks surrounding whatever might be going on to stay quiet or he will walk away, I could see that being honored.

All  that said, Mack, Donald or Dez are the most obvious something big's that could happen.   Although, with Beane it could be something else totally out of the blue.  What if it were OBJ? ?  

Edited by purple haze
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Why would anyone take the time to vote unsure?

Because I don't know if they should do it, without knowing contract parameters, how far away the offense is from being even watchable, and how likely it is that their most recent 1st rounder will develop into something.

Pass rushers matter, but the Bills went down this road throughout the drought. The evidence tells us to think long and hard about such a move. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Mack's great and a Buffalo hero. But we have Hughes and Murphy at DE. Both legit starters that we're signed on to pay starter money to.

The way I see it, DE is set at the moment. Would Mack be an upgrade? Yes. But is it really worth it to Beane to give up what it would take in both cap and trade compensation for a position he feels he already covered this offseason? I don't see it.

If I may respectfully counter this argument that the Bills are "set" at the edge rusher position: When was Jerry Hughes fairly/consistently successful (measurably) in his career? Was it ever as a #1 pass rusher? 

I'd argue that Hughes is a luxurious #2 rusher (like, when that big guy with the mega deal was on the team), and a middling #1 guy (I like him, but he's not elite...and he's not young). I'd also argue that Murphy showed some promise in one season, then got hurt, and is currently dealing with the nagging limitations many guys face while working their ways back onto the field. There's a first-rounder behind them who might provide serviceable rotational depth, but will never be elite. If this paragraph sounds reasonable to you, and I sincerely hope it does, then one could argue that the Bills should look to upgrade the position.

37 minutes ago, eball said:

I've avoided this thread like the plague, but have to admit I'm intrigued by Astro's "doubling down" tweet yesterday.  He doesn't seem like the sort to promote unsubstantiated activity.

"We shouldn't have to wait much longer if l'm right " Is that doubling down? 

I knew the story had merit on Tuesday when bill polian talked about the mack situation it sounded like he was talking directly to Terry pegula hinting that he needs to be patient just looking at the Oakland raiders salary cap tells me there's merit to the hype 

• Like (+1) 1