• Drew Bledsoe
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • EJ Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Tyrod Taylor

Left out those who were never considered anything but backups filling in for injuries (Lewis, Tuel, etc.) and of course Cassel technically starting the first game. Rank Em.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bledsoe

Fitz/Tyrod/Orton tied for first loser

then a pile of garbage we just push off the pier into lake erie.

Eight games then steadily down hill for Drew.  He simply did not pay off on the investment of a 1st round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Eight games then steadily down hill for Drew.  He simply did not pay off on the investment of a 1st round pick. 

It was definitely a stupid trade. Sending a 1st to a division rival for a QB on his last leg.

But the team exacerbated it by putting a horrible OL in front of him. With a good OL, and scheming to pick up the non-stop blitzes DCs were sending, he could have last a little longer.

57 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:
  • Rob Johnson 
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • EJ Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Tyrod Taylor

Left out those who were never considered anything but backups filling in for injuries (Lewis, Tuel, etc.) and of course Cassel technically starting the first game. Rank Em.

This list, it’s not so pretty... Tyrod first, the rest are tied for last

• Thank you (+1) 1

Using the Op's list, this is what I have: 

• Drew Bledsoe (for his first 8 games or so) 
  • Rob Johnson 
  • Tyrod Taylor
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Trent Edwards
  • JP Losman
  • EJ Manuel
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Kyle Orton  (would have been at the top, but you don't slide like he did when you need to win the game).  

Bledsoe

Orton

Fitzpatrick

too painful to even begin thinking about anyone else on the list.

(Johnson apparently would have won the Super Bowl that season except for the Miracle TD against his near-win)

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

• Tyrod Taylor
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Kyle Orton
  • Rob Johnson 
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • EJ Manuel
  • JP Losman

Swap Holcomb and Edwards and you have my list.

Did Shane Matthews ever start a game here?

Ok, upon review, zero starts but a 33.3 TD% and an Bills career QB rating of 149.3 cannot be ignored. 

This guy would be in the same “Kyle Orton for The Wall” discussion, if it weren’t for the impending prison sentence.

Edited by 4_kidd_4
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

perhaps, but Edwards pre- or post concussion... pre- he's ahead, post, below.  That Arizona hit was the death of him.

No it wasn't. He wasn't that good to begin with. He was better than JP, but Trentative never once passed for 300 yards

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaTr01/gamelog/2008/

He was ok, at best

Great topic.  I don't think it's ever been covered before.

1) Kyle Orton - stone cold killer of defenses, bourbon and virginity

2) Bledsoe  - short window of good-great in Buffalo
3) Fitzgerald - Jeckyl and Hyde - the gunslinger everyone wanted, until they realized what a gunslinger means
4) Tyrod - got us to the playoffs, but I think anyone of the three above would have gotten us there too.

.......everybody else.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bledsoe sucked. Its Tyrod and then honestly I'd probably go Orton. 

I dont have the love for Tyrod that others here do. To me, he was a RB who sometimes managed to get over his fear of throwing the ball when he was lucky enough to spot a wide open receiver. He didnt turn the ball over, and could make plays with his feet, but he wast the QB we wanted or deserved.

When Bledsoe had his WRs and a little protection, he threw for 4300 yds and we went from 28th in scoring to 6th in scoring his first year.

He was the best true definition of a QB we had this millennium. JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

perhaps, but Edwards pre- or post concussion... pre- he's ahead, post, below.  That Arizona hit was the death of him.

Thats an old wives tale.  He was the same guy before and after the concussion.  People just thought he was worse because the euphoria of Trent beating literally the worst teams in the NFL on marginal play at best wore off, and that marginal play no longer could win games.  So people thought he changed.  The TRUTH is, our defense and ST were more important in that 4-0 start than Trent was.

I was on this board telling everyone when we were 4-0 that we would not make the playoffs if Trent kept playing the way he was.  Got flamed to no end...then he and the offense continue to not be very good and we missed the playoffs as predicted.  Then everyone wants to make the excuse of the concussion to cover up them missing the glaring issues in Trents game when they drank the Kool-aid of a 4-0 start and OVER credited Trent with that.

Case in point:  In the 4-0 start before his concussion game 5:

Only had 4 TD's against 4 of the worst teams in the NFL...only 1 in each game

Averaged just 237 yards per game.

People still overly romanticize to this day that 4-0 start, when in reality, he wasn't playing that great and we had quite a few turnovers, defensive TD's and ST TD's that actually won those games for us because Trent and the offense were not doing very well.  At no point was Trent ever "good" in his career.

5 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:
  • Rob Johnson 
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • EJ Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Tyrod Taylor

OMG, what a horrible list.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Bledsoe had an 8 game stretch where he was  among the best QBs in the league. Then he fell off a cliff. Go rewatch his 2003 season.

It was god awful. He was terrible and should've been released following that season. 

You are like a lot of Bills fans on here. Too much obsession and need for the QB to be a traditional pocket passer and it clouds your judgement of Tyrod. He's not a good passer. But he's not bad either and makes plays with his feet with what he lacks with his arm while sustaining drives and keeping the offense turnover free for the most part. 

I'm happy to be in that group that wants the person playing QB to actually be able to do the job properly. Doesnt cloud my judgement of Tyrod at all. I put him around the 16th QB in the league. Not bad, but not good enough. It's a passing league, the QB passes the ball, he basically refuses to pass, and you said it yourself, he isnt a good passer.

• Like (+1) 1

If people are willing to say that Bledsoe should be first on the list because he was good for about eight games, then why not say Fitz should be first on the list because he was good for about eight games?

I was never a fan of Bledsoe.  Immobile pocket passer. I found it easier to root for Fitz.  Obviously, the fact that I liked to root for Fitz doesn’t make him better. I’m just surprised that so many people put Bledsoe first with a qualification that it was based on half of a season. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

If people are willing to say that Bledsoe should be first on the list because he was good for about eight games, then why not say Fitz should be first on the list because he was good for about eight games?

I was never a fan of Bledsoe.  Immobile pocket passer. I found it easier to root for Fitz.  Obviously, the fact that I liked to root for Fitz doesn’t make him better. I’m just surprised that so many people put Bledsoe first with a qualification that it was based on half of a season. 

I’ve posted the Bledsoe stats on here a bunch. After the first 8 games in a Bills uniform he had a losing record, about 1 TD to 1 INT, a ton of fumbles and averaged 195 yards passing a game. If you pull out his first 8 games a strong case could be made that he belongs near the bottom of the list. I put him at a distant 4th. He’s the player though that Bills fans remember way more fondly than they should. 

5 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Great topic.  I don't think it's ever been covered before.

1) Kyle Orton - stone cold killer of defenses, bourbon and virginity

2) Bledsoe  - short window of good-great in Buffalo
3) Fitzgerald - Jeckyl and Hyde - the gunslinger everyone wanted, until they realized what a gunslinger means
4) Tyrod - got us to the playoffs, but I think anyone of the three above would have gotten us there too.

.......everybody else.

But then again they didn't

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

I wish Doug Flutie was included on this list.  It owuld have been interesting to see if people ranked him above or below Tyrod?

Flutie would be above Tyrod because he got us to the playoffs multiple times and this is not a drought QB.

9 hours ago, dneveu said:

Tyrod

Bledsoe

Fitz

Orton
Edwards

Manuel

Losman

Johnson

Holcomb

AVP

I'd love to hear the reasons you rank EJ higher than JP

Tyrod - QB of record to end the drought

Bledsoe - Had 8 good games for us ... Sad

Fitz - Hall of famer if he had a coach that would bench him after the 3rd Quarter.

Orton - It gets worse from here

Losman - Threw a nice long ball but couldn't hit anything within 20 yards

Robosack - Not as bad as most have him ... Not good either

Van Pelt - I barely remember him playing

Holcomb - I don't remember him playing for the Bills ... More than likely that's a good thing

Manuel - Great guy, hard worker, awful at QB'n

Edwards - One play sums him up ... 4th and about 8, about 2 minutes to play, down by a couple points, and what does he do ? ... He runs out of bounds. That was the day that Trent Edwards started wearing a skirt. At least throw up a 4th quarter Fitz type pass. Maybe someone on the Bills would've caught it.

Quite a list there.  You could flip a coin with Bledsoe and Taylor as they both played the same number of years and were average starting quarterbacks albeit different playing styles.  The rest were below average starters/backups.

I'll give Bledsoe the nod because he made the pro bowl straight up (not as an alternate) his first year.  So.....

Bledsoe

Taylor

Fitzpatrick

Edwards

Orton

Johnson

Losman

Manuel

Holcomb 

Van Pelt

Edited by Doc Brown

13 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:
  • Rob Johnson 
  • Alex Van Pelt
  • Drew Bledsoe
  • JP Losman
  • Kelly Holcomb
  • Trent Edwards
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • EJ Manuel
  • Kyle Orton
  • Tyrod Taylor

SMH. Johnson and AVP do not belong here. Stop it with the drought posts.

And you forgot Matt Cassel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, and Brian Brohm.

Edited by mileena