Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

Now that there is talk that Incognito is looking to go to other teams now as a Bills fan am pissed. If he was unhappy with management than don't take the deal but don't pull the injury card and than ask for retirement and get released to only go somewhere else with your free will. 

34 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Good luck getting the 3.6 million back after the repeated strange behavior.

I’m guessing he can’t move forward in the process of going to another team until everything is square in Buffalo. I think Richie is going to be disappointed in his new contract. Should have stayed and honored his latest Bills contract or refused to take a pay cut. Hope his liver turns to foie gras?

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Now that there is talk that Incognito is looking to go to other teams now as a Bills fan am pissed. If he was unhappy with management than don't take the deal but don't pull the injury card and than ask for retirement and get released to only go somewhere else with your free will. 

I'm sure there is more to the story. I don't really care too much about it though. 

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'm sure there is more to the story. I don't really care too much about it though. 

All I can think is now that Eric Woods isn't with he Bills is now Ritchie doesn't want to be a part of the squad as if you ever read/hear him talk about Eric it sounds like he was a big reason he came back. 

10 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I’m guessing he can’t move forward in the process of going to another team until everything is square in Buffalo. I think Richie is going to be disappointed in his new contract. Should have stayed and honored his latest Bills contract or refused to take a pay cut. Hope his liver turns to foie gras?

Well he essentially "retired" so they owed him the bonus money.  He then basically wanted to re-do his contract again it seems like so they just decided to be rid of him.  

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It certainly seems as though Ritchie is now showing his true colors.  If he signed a restructured contract, he should absolutely adhere to that contract.  If he feels that he was "duped" by either the Bills or his agent, and signed the contract without understanding the full ramifications/details, then too bad for him.  I receive a new contract every March for the following school year, and I'm given 14 calendar days to review and sign (or dispute if I disagree).  It's my choice, and I read and try to understand every last word on the document before I sign.  No different here.

The way he has handled this in public, IMO, has been a complete bag over the head punch in the face to the only organization that was willing to give him a second chance.  Karma is a B word, Ritchie.

Pretty much.  I kind of feel the Waaaaaambulance needs to make some house calls here.   

We keep hearing football is a game for "Grown-ass Men".  Well "read and understand the contract before you sign" and "be careful and restrictive of giving a power of attorney" is kind of like "Grown-up 101". 

So I'm not real clear on just why we're supposed to be all upset at the Bills for asking Richie to renegotiate his contract, and feel sympathetic towards Richie for agreeing, then throwing a public tantrum.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The contract situation and his strive for the HOF and 12,000 etc etc is the exact reason I see him wanting a trade. This Offense is bad the OL is in flux. He has so many years left. I could see him wanting out and to a better team 

And who else is going to pay a 30yr old rb $9million bucks?? 

The Bills are all about winning in the future with Josh Allen. That's what this team is building towards. 

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty much.  I kind of feel the Waaaaaambulance needs to make some house calls here.   

We keep hearing football is a game for "Grown-ass Men".  Well "read and understand the contract before you sign" and "be careful and restrictive of giving a power of attorney" is kind of like "Grown-up 101". 

So I'm not real clear on just why we're supposed to be all upset at the Bills for asking Richie to renegotiate his contract, and feel sympathetic towards Richie for agreeing, then throwing a public tantrum.

Agreed -  the whole situation just reeks.  

This front office has a vision of what each position and player in that position is worth.  They did not go out and overspend on a QB and got a better fit at a lower cost.

Guard is no different- they had a price they were willing to spend on Cogs and worked with him and his agent - got an agreement and a signed deal.  It is not the Bills fault that then Cogs goes insane rant and fires everyone - complains about his severe liver and kidney disease and decides to retire.  All of that is just part of the package and why his pay has not been in line with his talent for years.

This is his second time walking away from the Bills - the first was a personal disaster for Cogs and I do not think this time will be better.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good LT.  but no HOF.  I disagree.  Mainly it's my bias against the real value of a single O-lineman.  And Pro Bowls are nice but worthless for this purpose.

Your biases are owned by you. That doesn't mean that they are owned by others. An offensive lineman who makes the pro ball doesn't qualify the player to be considered for such a lofty honor. But an offensive lineman who does it for a decade or so consecutively certainly puts him in consideration.

I'm not quarrelling with your position on the importance of linemen or the replaceability/interchangeability of them. Some people hold to that position and (I believe) more don't. But when you rank Peters against his peers and predecessors he  clearly ranks in the upper echelon. To be as good as he has for such an extended period of time makes him a prime candidate for the Hall. At least in my humble opinion. 

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When your lower tier replacement gets you your only SB ring, you may not be Elite...

He's an elite tackle who has been dominant player throughout his career. The Bills made a major blunder not paying the man.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Jason-Peters-is-the-best-tackle-in-the-NFL-109196610

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

didn't he fire his agent? Must have sold him a bill of goods.

I hope we win too but I'm not optimistic about the Super Bowl  this year (maybe next year tho :thumbsup: )

I think he did.

Like I said, still didn't have to sign a pay cut.

45 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think he did.

He thought about it and perhaps talked to some other player and his perception became the Bills were screwing him. My guess anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it just me or does this remind anyone of Marv Levy making a "promise" to Nate Clements that he would not use the franchise tag on him?

Why in the world would a team do something this seemingly stupid? Could someone explain the gain to me?

The Bills gave him a second chance when oh so many turned their backs on him. I think the proper response to Incognito would have been "screw you!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

I think he did.

Last year PFF rated him the 12th best guard in the league. His salary for 2018, as a near as I can tell, is about the same as the 34th best paid guard. Looks like a big disconnect to me.

I agree with Bill, but with given how thin we are on the OL, I might have considered a different tact and thrown him another mil to keep him happy.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Is it just me or does this remind anyone of Marv Levy making a "promise" to Nate Clements that he would not use the franchise tag on him?

Why in the world would a team do something this seemingly stupid? Could someone explain the gain to me?

The Bills gave him a second chance when oh so many turned their backs on him. I think the proper response to Incognito would have been "screw you!"

Incognito will make this even worse if he signs somewhere and then bad mouths the Bills.

Too me all that POS means that he is the 21 century version of Conrad Dobler. Granted cogs production was better (while in Buffalo.)

Truth is they were both dirty players, With issues. 

Cogs will end up in the booth. Suprisngly, He is a well spoken, student of the game.

That will last until he finds out Tasker makes more than him. 

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This implies another team is willing to give up something for him. 

A 4 time Pro Bowl guard at an affordable contract is worth more than absolutely nothing. 

3 hours ago, Idandria said:

Agree as well with the exception that they paid him a signing bonus that he doesn’t have to pay back. I can’t see Pegula or the team being happy have paid a player over $1 million only to cut the guy. That’s no way to run a business, and Pegula is a darn good business man. 

yeah, if Pegula wants to throw away 1 million for nothing, I'll take it. I'll even work for it. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Your biases are owned by you. That doesn't mean that they are owned by others. An offensive lineman who makes the pro ball doesn't qualify the player to be considered for such a lofty honor. But an offensive lineman who does it for a decade or so consecutively certainly puts him in consideration.

I'm not quarrelling with your position on the importance of linemen or the replaceability/interchangeability of them. Some people hold to that position and (I believe) more don't. But when you rank Peters against his peers and predecessors he  clearly ranks in the upper echelon. To be as good as he has for such an extended period of time makes him a prime candidate for the Hall. At least in my humble opinion. 

Other than his Pro Bowl invites, what can you specifically point to that in the opinion owned by you in particular would potentially put him in the HOF.  What does he do that makes you single him out?

The 12th highest paid guard is making $8.5M. Richie would have been making $3.65M this year. Not saying he should have been paid $8.5M, but an offer closer to the $5.25M he was making may have been more appropriate.

I guess we are confident in our guards, or think we can pick one up after the cuts.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

The 12th highest paid guard is making $8.5M. Richie would have been making $3.65M this year. Not saying he should have been paid $8.5M, but an offer closer to the $5.25M he was making may have been more appropriate.

I guess we are confident in our guards, or think we can pick one up after the cuts.

What do you think he signs for now?

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

He's an elite tackle who has been dominant player throughout his career. The Bills made a major blunder not paying the man.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Jason-Peters-is-the-best-tackle-in-the-NFL-109196610

The best part of that article is the opening line:

"Jason Peters is showing no signs of slowing down at age 35."

A week later, he was out for the season and his team went on to win the SB.

Look, he's a top LT.  But they did fine without him.  That's the nature of the position.  It's part of an ensemble.   One guy won't make the line great.  Same for Joe Thomas in Cleveland---HOFer, right?  So what--he was the anchor of an O-line that sucked for nearly his entire career.  Consistently among the worst teams in giving up sacks.  Ultimately, a complete waste of a pick.  Whatever Joe Thomas does that's really good, it never made a lick of difference.

Does anybody believe that AP would have had less of an impact on the Browns fortunes than Joe Thomas....or any LT in the history of the NFL?

Of course not.  I think a HOF LT has to be part of an outstanding O-line.  In other words, he would have to make everyone better.  Otherwise they are just racking up obscure personal efficiency stats so everyone can say, "well it was his fault the o-line can't protect the QB or run block".  Is there a HOF for "hey, it wasn't my fault"?

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Richie is a stud

the bills and his agent treated him with disrespect $$

he will be sorely missed

that's some primo sarcasm

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

What do you think he signs for now?

How many teams need a 1 or 2 yr stop gap at guard? I honestly have no idea. Maybe less than the Bills offered him if teams feel he doesn't have anything left in the tank.

I really haven't watched film on him throughout the season.

He thought about it and perhaps talked to some other player and his perception became the Bills were screwing him. My guess anyway.

51 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Last year PFF rated him the 12th best guard in the league. His salary for 2018, as a near as I can tell, is about the same as the 34th best paid guard. Looks like a big disconnect to me.

I agree with Bill, but with given how thin we are on the OL, I might have considered a different tact and thrown him another mil to keep him happy.

I'm not saying he wasn't under-compensated.

I agree with you that he was.

My point is he agreed to the paycut.

That's his fault, not the Bills' fault.

Know your value.

If you sign the paycut, then decide you shouldn't have, guess what?? You signed the contract. Buyer's remorse. Your fault.

If you have your car on the market for $18,000, and give up waiting, go trade in your car for $15,000 and five days later somebody calls and says "hey, I wasn't that car for $18,000, do you still have it?" Guess what? You can't go to the dealer and say "so ummmm... About that car.... I need it back..."

He signed the below market value deal.

That's his fault.

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

A 4 time Pro Bowl guard at an affordable contract is worth more than absolutely nothing. 

yeah, if Pegula wants to throw away 1 million for nothing, I'll take it. I'll even work for it. 

...McBeane woulda blown that in EXCEDRIN trying to figure out what makes this guy tick.....undergo paralysis by analysis, but we'll never figure it out or get the facts....whole mess doesn't pass the "smell test" IMO....maybe he'll sign where Kaep signs to protect his blind side.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

59 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

I know some people are in love with PFF, but speaking as a self-admitted stats geek I don't think some of their stats pass the test of correlating to onfield results.

Example: Tyrod Taylor is their #12 QB.  Bills have #22 offense for points and #31 offense for passing yards, how does that add up to #12 QB?

Anyway, the criteria for PFF's OL and DL grades are particularly unclear to me.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Other than his Pro Bowl invites, what can you specifically point to that in the opinion owned by you in particular would potentially put him in the HOF.  What does he do that makes you single him out?

He's been the best or one of the best for a decade at his position. To be clear I haven't said he would be in the HOF. What I have said is that he will be seriously considered for the HOF. While the Bills felt that Demetreus Bell was an acceptable replacement the departed LT thrived in Philly where it was acknowledged by most that he was one of the best tackles in the game for a very extended period of time. 

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

And who else is going to pay a 30yr old rb $9million bucks?? 

The Bills are all about winning in the future with Josh Allen. That's what this team is building towards. 

Anyone that wants to make a run this year and think they are an elite RB away. Hmmmm say Packers 

...so then why did he sign for a pay cut?....that is the CORE question.....duress?...under the influence?.....regular meds wore off?.....how come?.....

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

Richie is a stud

the bills and his agent treated him with disrespect $$

he will be sorely missed

How do you know HOW the Bills treated him? All I have seen is that they signed him even with all the baggage from Miami. He , along with his agents apparently negotiated a new contract of which HE SIGNED! Then he goes all SM and reverts back(or maybe he never lost) his psychotic side. So in the end I think he was treated rather well by the Bills Organization, not to mention us FANS!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Why would the Bills release him when its costs the team 1.5 Million in bonus cash?

My guess is the Bills negotiated a deal to match..

If I am right, you haven't seen to end of Richie Incognito

Edited by THE SLAMMER

I feel this whole shebang is not straight forward by any means.
Odd indeed.

1 minute ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Why would the Bills release him when its costs the team 1.5 Million in bonus cash?

My guess is the Bills negotiated a deal to match any deal

If I am right, you haven't seen to end of Richie Incognito

surprise surprise surprise !

?

why would you think that ? : )

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I feel this whole shebang is not straight forward by any means.
Odd indeed.

I am telling you this is not over unless some team over pays

Just now, THE SLAMMER said:

I am telling you this is not over unless some team over pays

Because ? Bills made him another offer ?

and he just got confused ?

I am a little. confused. happens at my age

help me out here

He's not coming back.  And they granted his release because they didn't care either way whether he stayed or left (as evidenced by asking for the pay cut) and he gave them 3 really good drama-free years at a cheap rate. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

Because ? Bills made him another offer ?

and he just got confused ?

I am a little. confused. happens at my age

help me out here

Very strange Buffalo would eat 1.5 mil, more likely received the option to match any deal.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by THE SLAMMER

It's too late but I don't get this whole mess, never have since the paycut. He's been the backbone of the offense with Shady. He played very well so I never got why he of all  players got a paycut. But, he took it. So that should have been it. But no, then he whines and loses it. Just bad all around. But with Woods surprise retirement, that's 2 OL lost without any warning. And the two best. The LT trade was at least planned but not these  two. How it improves the team is beyond me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It's too late but I don't get this whole mess, never have since the paycut. He's been the backbone of the offense with Shady. He played very well so I never got why he of all  players got a paycut. But, he took it. So that should have been it. But no, then he whines and loses it. Just bad all around. But with Woods surprise retirement, that's 2 OL lost without any warning. And the two best. The LT trade was at least planned but not these  two. How it improves the team is beyond me.

just for fun.

those two go back a rather long way as Buddies.

Bills FO ? Does seem like that was not managed well either, as we recall Eric's "retirement" speech.

just does not seem  like  solid line available to follow

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He's not coming back.  And they granted his release because they didn't care either way whether he stayed or left (as evidenced by asking for the pay cut) and he gave them 3 really good drama-free years at a cheap rate. 

lol, don't bet the farm