Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

At $4m I’m not sure I’m paying him... but I also think that cuts johns “he’s just a bum” take out at the knees. The guy has potential.

i agree fans got overly excited about his play but it wasn’t bad either.

Interestingly, the guy who signed Seantrel (the new GM of the Texans whose name escapes me) was with in the Bills front office last year (if I recall correctly).  If my memory is correct, he has ample knowledge of Seantrel, his health, his ability, and where he is in his career.

10 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

Did he sign with the pats yet?

This. This is the most infuriating part of this whole situation. I would have let him have his bonus if only to keep him away from the Cheatriots for another year. It’s petty, I know. But like Boldin, he’s basically declared his intention to sign with them. And the way he did it was public and insulting. 

8 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

Should have held him on list until at least the end of training camp, that way if some team had a major injury they could get something in return!

They would have been forced to have him around the team with a bad attitude which they clearly wanted no part of.   Sayonara.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Agree with Shotgunner.

That is the way Eugene Parker, currently in hell, manipulated the Bills.  

stop that.

that's horribly insensitive comment referring to a person who was highly respected in his field and did a fine job in representing his clients and protecting their rights.

you might not like some of the ramifications of what happened, but if I had a son playing in the NFL, Parker would have been the agent I would want representing him.

there were few more responsible or better.

jw

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

To me, yes.

He was on the team last year. We will see how he plays for the Texans.

To say he "needed weed" is a tad of an oversimplification.

Interesting thing about Seantrel.  He signed a 1 year 4 million dollar contract with Houston.

He would be the highest paid OL on the team if he signed that with the Bill's.

When Wood's money comes off the books the Bill's have the cheapest OL in the NFL.

I sure hope they outplay their salaries!

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They would have been forced to have him around the team with a bad attitude which they clearly wanted no part of.   Sayonara.

I wonder what kind of mood our best player (the one who desperately wanted him to stay on the team and was willing to give up 300k of his own money) will be in after all of this.

There had to be a way to manage this better.  The guy was an all pro on merit last year. I know many here love the "addition by subtraction" line, but, after a while, all of these subtractions end up being subtractions.  Our offensive line is probably our weakest unit . . . and some want to start a rookie QB who needs time (literally and figuratively) to develop. 

As I mentioned before I feel sorry for all of our QBs and RBs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

At $4m I’m not sure I’m paying him... but I also think that cuts johns “he’s just a bum” take out at the knees. The guy has potential.

i agree fans got overly excited about his play but it wasn’t bad either.

I actually didnt think he was a bum

I was thinking he has a condition that makes it so he cannot be a counted on player

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I wonder what kind of mood our best player (the one who desperately wanted him to stay on the team and was willing to give up 300k of his own money) will be in after all of this.

There had to be a way to manage this better.  The guy was an all pro on merit last year. I know many here love the "addition by subtraction" line, but, after a while, all of these subtractions end up being subtractions.  Our offensive line is probably our weakest unit . . . and some want to start a rookie QB who needs time (literally and figuratively) to develop. 

As I mentioned before I feel sorry for all of our QBs and RBs.

You actually took that seriously?  Shady knows full well that football is a cold blooded business.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You actually took that seriously?  Shady knows full well that football is a cold blooded business.

Do you have any doubt that Shady desperately wanted Richie to remain a Buffalo Bill (whether he meant it about the money or not)?

Just now, Peter said:

Do you have any doubt that Shady desperately wanted Richie to remain a Buffalo Bill (whether he meant it about the money or not)?

I'm sure he would have loved it, but it's simply not his call.  He''s been in Buffalo getting ready for the season with his teammates.  Bye Richie!

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am trying to figure out why in the world fans would want him back after all of this......

You expect to get max play out of a guy that cant decide...literally minute to minute....on whether or not he wants to retire?

I dont want a player like that protecting Josh Allen

Because many fans prefer winning over character.

Players always wanted that...they were not happy when Tyrod left either.

Sometimes change has to happen to move forward.

Im not even saying that Groy is gonna be better then Cog....I honestly cant predict that.  I know that players get old.....and when that happens their contracts get looked at.....and then teams replace them and they move on.

it is happening in this situation.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm sure he would have loved it, but it's simply not his call.  He''s been in Buffalo getting ready for the season with his teammates.  Bye Richie!

Not his call . . . but it is his body and his health and it was his wish.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Players always wanted that...they were not happy when Tyrod left either.

Sometimes change has to happen to move forward.

Im not even saying that Groy is gonna be better then Cog....I honestly cant predict that.  I know that players get old.....and when that happens their contracts get looked at.....and then teams replace them and they move on.

it is happening in this situation.

Let's ask him how he feels about this again when he is running for his life behind the current line.

17 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

stop that.

that's horribly insensitive comment referring to a person who was highly respected in his field and did a fine job in representing his clients and protecting their rights.

you might not like some of the ramifications of what happened, but if I had a son playing in the NFL, Parker would have been the agent I would want representing him.

jw

No.  He used contract of one player holding up negotiations on it until another player was done.

That was unethical.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Peter,

First I need to see that is even the case.   I thought Groy filled in just fine for him when called upon.

I actually like Groy . . . but I really would have liked Richie and Groy together. 

I hate the fact that we (intentionally or unintentionally or a combination of the two) have more and more holes to fill

23 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

stop that.

jw

Do you know the person who is the most happy that he was represented by Parker? Jason Peters. He ended up with a contract commensurate with his talents, having a long career with a team where when it is over with he will be under consideration for the HOF and to top it off he has a Super Bowl ring on his finger. For those people who believe that an agent should work in the interest of a team at the expense of the player they are representing I say they are being illogical and not understanding that the NFL is a business. 

To put things in perspective with respect to the trading of Jason Peters it is going to go down in its inglorious history of being one of the dumbest decisions that this organization has made. This team willingly  paid out gargantuan contracts to wretchedly mediocre players such as Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker but traded a player that they drafted and developed because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth. Stupidity at a stupendous level. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Do you know the person who is the most happy that he was represented by Parker? Jason Peters. He ended up with a contract commensurate with his talents, having a long career with a team where when it is over with he will be under consideration for the HOF and to top it off he has a Super Bowl ring on his finger. For those people who believe that an agent should work in the interest of a team at the expense of the player they are representing I say they are being illogical and not understanding that the NFL is a business. 

To put things in perspective with respect to the trading of Jason Peters it is going to go down in its inglorious history of being one of the dumbest decisions that this organization has made. This team willing  paid out gargantuan contracts to wretchedly mediocre players such as Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker but traded a player that they drafted and developed because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth. Stupidity at a stupendous level. 

I may be in the minority here, but I really wish we had kept Jason Peters.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont give a damn about his character.....I worry about his committment.

One might argue a man of character would not renege on his signed commitment to a team who gave him a GIANT second chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To put things in perspective with respect to the trading of Jason Peters it is going to go down in its inglorious history of being one of the dumbest decisions that this organization has made. This team willing  paid out gargantuan contracts to wretchedly mediocre players such as Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker but traded a player that they drafted and developed because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth. Stupidity at a stupendous level. 

I can't like this post enough.

:thumbsup:

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Jason Peters fiasco was a reflection on how inept this organization function. They religiously fought to save a penny when in the end they lost a dollar. A mom and pop operation in the modern world of a complicated business. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sure. It would've been the smart move to make. Unfortunately, as JohnC notes, the Bills so mishandled the situation that it lead to Peters' departure.

So not only did they lose Peters, they overpaid for Dockery and Walker, who they wound up on the hook paying after both were gone within a couple of years.

It was a breath-taking example of really how inept the Bills were.

jw

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

One might argue a man of character would not renege on his signed commitment to a team who gave him a GIANT second chance.

One might argue that a man of character would not ask another man to take less than the team already agreed to pay him.

That bit can go both ways.

Yes, I know, Richie signed the new deal but obviously had buyer's remorse after doing so.  After the All Pro season he had last year (and the physical toll the game takes on players), it is understandable that he could have buyer's remorse.

2 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Sure. It would've been the smart move to make. Unfortunately, as JohnC notes, the Bills so mishandled the situation that it lead to Peters' departure.

So not only did they lose Peters, they overpaid for Dockery and Walker, who they wound up on the hook paying after both were gone within a couple of years.

It was a breath-taking example of really how inept the Bills were.

jw

Indeed, it was the "gift" that kept on giving.  Ugh. 

It was especially painful because the Bills actually discovered and nurtured the diamond in the rough of the former tight end.

It was even more painful to see the career that he had with a team from Philadelphia (of all places)(for those of us who have hated the Flyers since the Stanley Cup so many years ago).

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I can't like this post enough.

:thumbsup:

jw

The ugly past is the past. I'm confident that with the Pegulas as owners and with a more enlightened and sophisticated football operation under McDermott and Beane these types of nonsensical decisions will not occur again. All organizations in retrospect make bad decisions. That's just part of the business. But making a decision that doesn't work out is qualitatively different from making a decision that at the time makes no freaking sense. 

I'm very optimistic with this new regime. While Whaley took a more short-sighted patchwork approach to running the operation this McBeane tandem has a more coherent and longer view toward how the operation should be run. There was never a quick fix to rebuilding this roster and reconfiguring the cap structure. It is being done in a systematic manner. Overall, I'm very bullish about this regime and what they are doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Peters signed a contract then he and his agent decided he didn't have to honor it.  As I recall the Bills  were willing to renegotiate but wanted him to come in first to have his injury evaluated and he refused.

I agree they should have kept him and done a different deal.  But let's make sure both sides of the equation are.  Peters and his agent weren't choirboys.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lfod said:

I liked Incognito. I just don't like the idea of having players that are not fully committed. The second a person hints  at being non committed it's time to move on. Even if moving on is tough.

Imo, even if a person hints at retirement, some still possess a good work ethic and will put in the work and sometimes even excel, go out with a so called bang. I'm not saying that everyone has it but he strikes me as someone who does. Again, just my .02

Edited by FLbills
Guess I should have read further pages...lol

2 hours ago, Chicharito said:

Take this for what it's worth I was told by a security guard at one bills drive that Ritchie called the pegulas hammered one night and said a few choice words to them and he is 100% banned from buffalo bills property. 

It was reported that he called the Pegulas to let them know he was retiring. I had a feeling it wasn’t a pleasant call. I also said they should let the security guards know to not let him in if he tried to show up due to his crazy tweets. So yeah, I believe it. 

36 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Has he  ever failed one before?    Or are you just hoping he does?

He has admitted to drug use in his past and has also been acting pretty erratic soooooo I don’t think it’s a crazy thing to wonder