Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Orrrrr....whatever is happening to him wasn't triggered by his contract. You are making some large assumptions.

This isn't that hard to figure out; no change no problems.

Ritchie obviously needs stability in life to act normal and when that was taken away he freaked out.

Cog is rapidly becoming a poster child for how not to handle contract situations, with every move shining the light on a new mistake.  Don't let others sign your contracts (if that actually happened), don't sign a contract you're not happy with, don't retire citing horrific health reasons...then un-retire, don't throw an adolescent tantrum on social media over your new contract and for the love of all that's good and holy if you do get your contract voided and have any hope/desire to play anywhere ever again, don't make things worse by chucking a barbell at someone resulting in getting detained for a psych evaluation.

Just...wow...

Edited by The Red King

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why would he have retired if they did not renegotiate.

Aren't you jumping to a whole host of conclusions?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He.

Signed.

The.

Reduced.

Contract.

Nobody "messed with his money".

Sadly, probably not.

Why would he sign a contract he wasn't okay with?

That's not the point, the new contract is the reason for all these antics. His signing it makes no difference

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ritchie obviously needs stability in life to act normal and when that was taken away he freaked out.

Who took away the stability in his life?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He had stability. He was under contract. He even agreed to the pay cut. But he bailed, threw a dumbell at someone and now he's under mental evaluation. It's more likely he snapped along the way and was likley a ticking time bomb in Buffalo if he stayed. We dodged a bullet.

• Like (+1) 1

That's not the point, the new contract is the reason for all these antics. His signing it makes no difference

His signing makes sense the difference.

He VOLUNTARILY signed that contract.

Nobody "messed with his money"

The Bills didn't cut his pay without asking permission.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

He had stability. He was under contract. He even agreed to the pay cut. But he bailed, threw a dumbell at someone and now he's under mental evaluation. It's more likely he snapped along the way and was likley a ticking time bomb in Buffalo if he stayed. We dodged a bullet.

A contract that he really did not want to sign and after thinking about it changed his mind.

I guarantee that it they gave him a raise like they should have for his performance he would be BBQing with McBeane right now.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

A contract that he really did not want to sign and after thinking about it changed his mind.

I guarantee that it they gave him a raise like they should have for his performance he would be BBQing with McBeane right now.

Okay, Dr. Phil.

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Richie needs to get back on his meds.

That was exactly my thought when the whole twitter rant went down ending with a tweet about a crisis intervention pro being "trouble", then followed by ~ a month of radio silence - that Richie was either "off his meds" or f@#$ them up with self-medication (alcohol, etc).  He has acknowledged in interviews using alcohol/pot/cocaine etc when he was with the St Louis Rams, showing up still drunk/hungover to practice the next morning, and getting counseling/medical treatment for mental disorders.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

But can the Bills keep Richie on the reserve/retired list if he chose to unretire (which is what was reported)? 

Don't they have to take him off the list?  Or no? 

I kind of thought that was why they released him - Richie was unretiring and the Bills didn't want him back in the clubhouse, so it kind of forced their hand. 

Maybe I just misunderstood things, though.

I think you're Right On.  I think they could probably have finagled something to avoid releasing him - put him on some kind of PUP list or something - I would imagine the NFLPA and NFL has some provision for a drug/alcohol or mental disorders evaluation and treatment period.

But maybe they were like "You know, I don't want the headaches, I don't want the distraction, let's just turn the page and be Done."

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Everyone, either the Barbarian here is trolling, or they are so focused on Cog being a poor, mistreated victim in all this that you'll never get through to them anyway.  Not worth trying.

"A contract that he really did not want to sign..."

Hmm...I must have missed the part where the Bills put the gun to his head and forced him to sign it.  ?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Cog is rapidly becoming a poster child for how not to handle contract situations, with every move shining the light on a new mistake.  Don't let others sign your contracts (if that actually happened), don't sign a contract you're not happy with, don't retire citing horrific health reasons...then un-retire, don't throw an adolescent tantrum on social media over your new contract and for the love of all that's good and holy if you do get your contract voided and have any hope/desire to play anywhere ever again, don't make things worse by chucking a barbell at someone resulting in getting detained for a psych e v a l.

Just...wow...

As tight lipped that OBD is lately (which is fine with me) us fans may never know exactly what has been going on with Ritchie.

I am starting to think that his has displayed some mental issues for a while and the Bill's had 2 choices.

1.  Cut him outright.

2.  Try to get him help and hope he can make another season.  The re-done contract may have been to reduce the Bill's 2018 liabilities in return

for Ritchie getting help.

Ritchie may have agreed at first but then.......................well we see what is happening.

Either way it's sad all the way around and I hope he gets the proper help.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You honestly believe that the Bills -- the team who gave Incognito a second chance to redeem his career and earn his way to a Pro Bowl squad -- is responsible for making Igconito go full-goose-batschitt-loony because they didn't pay him enough money?

Weird worldview ya got there.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

What is going on in Cog's mind is anyones guess.....the Police shrinks are trying to figure that out at this very moment sir.

• Like (+1) 1

The guy got into a gym altercation so they Baker Acted him . . . but the Broward Sheriff's Department could not Baker Act Nikolas Cruz (Parkland shooter)?!?

Something is odd here.

• Like (+1) 2

Besides, this whole discussion is academic.  Same contract, new contract with pay cut, new contract with raise...none of it would have mattered.  I mean, according to Coggie, his current physical health is so terrible he couldn't possibly have played football this season anyway.  When he retired he made it perfectly clear just what a mess he was physically.  I mean yeah, he's working out at a gym, and drinking shots the day he was released, but I'm sure that's just a smokescreen, him putting on a brave face to mask those debilitating health issues he mentioned.  Thanks to his health, no matter what the contract situation was, he was never going to take another snap again in his life.  Right?  I mean...he wouldn't lie about his health, right?  That would be a real scumbag thing to do...  ?

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

More to which story?  Richie's or the other one?

Richie's.

. . . or the story is wrong.

Edited by Peter
Edit

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I don't think it's a stretch to assume Richie may have said or done something unhinged in the gym that would qualify him getting Baker Acted.

Maybe, but being Baker Acted for getting into an altercation is not the typical response.  Getting arrested or detained would be the typical responses.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Maybe, but being Baker Acted for getting into an altercation is not the typical response.  Getting arrested or detained would be the typical responses.

He has a history of possible psychiatric behavior.  I doubt he threw the dumbbell at the guy, then said sorry and went quietly.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Wow. Wtf. 

I can see why the Bills probably don't want him anywhere near the team. He seems to be falling back to his old ways. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

“The alleged victim says Incognito was rambling about the government and screaming at the man to ‘get off my f****** playground.'”

I totally thought that this was just a joke until I read it in that TMZ article. lol

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

That is why this is VERY odd and there has to be something more to the story or the story is wrong.

Bizarre.

It's not bizarre because Broward County Public Schools have specific policies that ultimately hid Cruz's nutbag behavior. If Richie Incognito were a student at Broward County Public Schools (instead of just acting like one), he'd be in a special class to keep him away from others before anyone reported him. Asses in seats is how teachers get paid. It's a completely different situation from Incognito.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was exactly my thought when the whole twitter rant went down ending with a tweet about a crisis intervention pro being "trouble", then followed by ~ a month of radio silence - that Richie was either "off his meds" or f@#$ them up with self-medication (alcohol, etc).  He has acknowledged in interviews using alcohol/pot/cocaine etc when he was with the St Louis Rams, showing up still drunk/hungover to practice the next morning, and getting counseling/medical treatment for mental disorders.

I'll always maintain that I find Richie to be a thoroughly distasteful human being but I have given him credit over the past 3-4 years for being honest and open about seeking help. It's been an integral part of his rehabilitation; fronting up to his past sins and trying to put structures in place to keep those circumstances from happening again. Alas, it seems as though the structures in place have faltered, for one reason or a number of them.

Richie Incognito the football player isn't the issue anymore, the same as when he first went off the deep end. He has to be himself until the day he dies and I hope that he finds himself on the right track soon because I fear that day might be sooner than later if he goes back to being that same destructive person again.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I clicked and could not help but take a look at what Cristiano Ronaldo's girlfriend was up to . . . after recently having a baby a few months ago.

There also was the story about Incognito.

• Haha (+1) 2

Incognito is clearly mentally unstable, though I'm not certain why they haven't arrested him.

Perhaps they were tipped off about his drunk rampage phone call to the Pegulas and decided he just needed psychiatric help.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
politics -> ppp

39 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Incognito is clearly mentally unstable, though I'm not certain why they haven't arrested him.

Perhaps they were tipped off about his drunk rampage phone call to the Pegulas and decided he just needed psychiatric help.

As an aside, whether you take your or my side on the Richie contract situation, it is clear that he would have been better off at OTA's in the structured environment of a football team.  When that becomes part of your family, it is difficult not to have that anymore.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
politics -> ppp
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

As an aside, whether you take your or my side on the Richie contract situation, it is clear that he would have been better off at OTA's in the structured environment of a football team.  When that becomes part of your family, it is difficult not to have that anymore.

Who's fault is it that Richie would not have been at OTA's?

The bills didnt cut him...they wanted him.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Who's fault is it that Richie would not have been at OTA's?

The bills didnt cut him...they wanted him.

Buddy, are you looking for a fight?

Please read the beginning of my freaking sentence:

"As an aside, whether you take your or my side on the Richie contract situation . . . ."

I was making what I thought was a non-provocative statement to try to reach some middle ground on this issue with fellow board members. 

If you want to continue to argue, go ahead and argue with yourself . . . .

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Peter said:

Buddy, are you looking for a fight?

Please read the beginning of my freaking sentence:

"As an aside, whether you take your or my side on the Richie contract situation . . . ."

I was making what I thought was a non-provocative statement to try to reach some middle ground on this issue with fellow board members. 

If you want to continue to argue, go ahead and argue with yourself . . . .

Not trying to argue Peter.

• Like (+1) 1