Keep our picks, draft Kyle Lauletta?

Interesting write-up on the QB from Richmond.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/richmond’s-kyle-lauletta-has-everything-nfl-teams-should-but-don’t-look-for-in-a-qb-prospect/ar-AAw1n9y?li=BBnba9I

The tape backs that up. Lauletta might not be able to sling it 80 yards like Wyoming's Josh Allen, but he has more than enough arm strength to make any throw you'll find in an NFL playbook. Richmond's offense certainly wasn't limited by Lauletta's supposed lack of arm strength. He was asked to throw plenty of out-breaking routes from the opposite hash, and did so with ease. And he didn't lose any arm strength when throwing on the move, whether he was going to his right or left.

Of course arm strength also comes in handy when throwing into tighter windows at the next level, and while Lauletta doesn't have an elite fast ball, he's still proficient at throwing into tight windows thanks to a keen sense of timing.

"People look at these big framed quarterbacks who can throw the ball really far and really hard, and it definitely helps," he said. "But the more you study quarterbacks and look at the position, if you throw the ball on time, you don't necessarily need to throw the ball 75 yards to be an effective quarterback."

• Sad 1

No, I don't see him going through progressions. It's one read and throw. Or the play breaks down and he's throwing on the run, which he does fairly well. He will have a STEEP learning curve at the next level. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

No, I don't see him going through progressions. It's one read and throw. Or the play breaks down and he's throwing on the run, which he does fairly well. He will have a STEEP learning curve at the next level. 

From the link - 

Processing information quickly is another key to throwing with good timing. That's where Lauletta really shines in comparison to the other top quarterback prospects in this year's draft. He can go from his primary read to second and third options in a matter of seconds, all while keeping his footwork intact. That's high-level quarterbacking.

Keeping the picks is the best idea.   A 1 in 3 shot in the top 5 for a franchise qb is not the kind of odds I bet.  Admittedly, a lower pick might be 1 in5, but, got to wieght having some newer rookie starters.  Two or three more like Tre White works for me.

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Keeping the picks is the best idea.   A 1 in 3 shot in the top 5 for a franchise qb is not the kind of odds I bet.  Admittedly, a lower pick might be 1 in5, but, got to wieght having some newer rookie starters.  Two or three more like Tre White works for me.

some days i feel the same way. build the team and take rudolph/ faulk or white. i have plenty of confidence with a.j.

one thing i am feeling pretty sure of is that if the browns don't pick darnold, no.2 is out the window.

if the giants leave chubb and barkley at 4....then 4 is out the window.

I do like Lauletta.

Obviously he impressed at the senior bowl, has many good physical traits and competitiveness, but he wasn't a top recruit, and hadn't gotten a ton of buzz throughout the last couple of seasons until very late. With that being said, I like what I've watched on him after listening to a couple of his interviews. Has that fire, competitive spirit and moxy you want and carries a chip on his shoulder. I think he could see play and do well in the right fit with the right coaches and system - but getting that chance is very difficult for a mid-round prospect. 

I suspect he could go as high as round 2, and as low as round 5.

1 minute ago, Success said:

A lot of negative reaction, but as soon  as the Pats pick him, there will be all kinds of panic on here...

The only people that might panic are the weirdos who want buffalo to draft him. They’ll say “I told you so” and claim that he’s the next Tom Brady 

4 hours ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I think the Bills have two guys in mind they will trade up for, and if they can't work it out, then they will go to their backup plan, which could be something like this.

Wow!  Next thing you know, Bob Lamb will post again....

Edited by TPS
  • Like (+1) 1

If you are a non believer in Lauletta review the combine throwing sessions.  As far as accuracy and are strength I had him only behind Mayfield.   

Also he is going go day two so not a late round prospect.  Do the research, he is a better prospect than Josh Allen

In my perfect world we get Mayfield between picks 6 to 12 if not I would be happy with Lauletta late in the 2nd or 3rd.    

• Like (+1) 1

Someone's going to regret not taking him.  He did great at the combine and looked really good in the Senior Bowl.  This team has so many things to fix or improve that it would be a mistake to dump most of our top picks into into a top tier quarterback that's not a near consensus pick.  And does it make sense to break the draft pick bank for a quarterback that might get "killed" because we didn't bring quality offensive linemen in?  Then everyone would be yelling we should have saved our picks.  Plus, even consensus guys can turn out to be a Ryan Leaf.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills front office thinks along the same lines.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm very happy Beane isn't thinking like this. 

Me too.  But if the Bills can't find a partner to trade up for a top 4 QB (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen all gone by 5 and Cleveland wont' trade #4), what would you think about Jackson at 22 and Lauletta with our 2nd 2nd? 

2 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Me too.  But if the Bills can't find a partner to trade up for a top 4 QB (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen all gone by 5 and Cleveland wont' trade #4), what would you think about Jackson at 22 and Lauletta with our 2nd 2nd? 

Nope. Lauletta is a 4th round pick at best IMO. 

I do like Lauletta, but we need to aim for better. My ideal draft would be to trade up to 6 or 7 and draft Rosen or Mayfield, whoever slides. This would cost a 2nd. Then also draft Lauletta with pick 65. If done right we would come away with 2 potential franchise QBs and still have picks 22, 53, 56, and 96 to build the team with. I doubt we will go the 2 QB route but I would personally hedge my bets.

If they can't get one of the top guys, I can surely see this kid being one of their contingency plans. From a number of scouting reports I've read, the dude is ahead of almost all the other QBs in terms of reading defenses, looking off the safety, going through progressions, etc. 

I have a lot of faith in the guys running the show over at OBD now so I'm on board with whoever they get. What I can't wait for is watching a good part of the fanbase have an absolute meltdown the moment the new QB (no matter where he was picked) throws a pick or has a bad game. I can see it now... let's go hypothetical, the Bills get, eh... Darnold... he plays in his first game and goes 15 of 28 for 267 yards, one TD and 2 picks and a couple of sacks. Several people will be screaming: "SEE?!?!?! I told you all! ALL OF YOU DIDN'T LISTEN TO ME!!! I am the message board genius and I KNEW this Darnold kid was a bum!!! A friggin' bum!! Pack your bags, Beane!! Fire McDermott!! 200 more years of no playoffs, I for one will not be around to watch it!!! I am DONE with this team!! AAAUHFUERHFRHUFRHRJHRFODFDFIHD!!!!!!!!!" 

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope. Lauletta is a 4th round pick at best IMO. 

Fair enough.  Not bad insurance if the 1st rounder tanks though, no?  That Ben Solak study really had me take another look at the kid.   Kirk Cousins to LJ's Bob Griffin III.

Edited by Tenhigh